Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Beatles vs. David Bowie vs. King Crimson

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Favorite British prog/prog related rock chameleon?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [18.18%]
8 [36.36%]
7 [31.82%]
3 [13.64%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Beatles vs. David Bowie vs. King Crimson
    Posted: February 15 2016 at 01:08
Who do you think did those changes best and why?
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2016 at 02:34
Chachacha cha Changes

i feel Bowie did the most pivotal changes but King Crimson was cleverly capable at that sport as well, very hard to decide, Beatles had three changes. David have very many changes and more brave then most brave toasters. i vote for David.

Edited by Icarium - February 15 2016 at 06:15
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2016 at 07:17
Originally posted by KingCrInuYasha KingCrInuYasha wrote:

Who do you think did those changes best and why?

give credit where it was due and earned to King Crimson..but I missed their drugged out phase, their blue eyed Philly soul phase, even their MtV pop stardom phase.

No one EVER came even remotely close to Bowie in that regard. Nor will likely anyone ever do so.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 01:27
The Beatles > David Bowie > King Crimson

The Beatles 
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 08:45
Bowie was the most chameleontic of these. If this poll was not restricted to British artists, I might have put Franco Battiato in.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 09:06
Bowie.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 09:38
Bowie is "the" chameleon in popular music. The best thing is that unlike Madonna or other chameleonic artists it (almost) always felt as the result of a genuine artistic drive.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 13:20
Kc
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2018 at 22:07
I love them all, but in changes I think KC was the best. I have found some Bowie´s a little bit pretentious, causing the loss of the greatness of his music. Beatles made really big and important change in Revolver & Sgt, but after those albums there weren´t really big changes. In the seventies almost every KC album was different in a very great way.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 01:37
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I love them all, but in changes I think KC was the best. I have found some Bowie´s a little bit pretentious, causing the loss of the greatness of his music. Beatles made really big and important change in Revolver & Sgt, but after those albums there weren´t really big changes. In the seventies almost every KC album was different in a very great way.

A lot of 70s KC was similar. I don't buy that
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2018 at 11:29
If you're talking purely 'favorite' ,,,,,then Beatles, then Crimson..... then Bowie....as far as the music that will last for me over time. I do think that Bowie regarding his persona and stage image certainly was more of a chameleon on that level but musically he was always poppy art/glam rock imo. All of them matured and changed over time but musically (at least to my ears) none strayed that far from who they were once it was established.

Edited by dr wu23 - June 20 2018 at 11:30
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2018 at 11:55
Easily King Crimson.  No contest whatsoever.
Not only the most intricate and interesting music of the three, easily the most skilled instrumentalists.  
 Post Reply Post Reply