Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First 10 Bands You Ever Saw!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flight123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First 10 Bands You Ever Saw!
    Posted: February 17 2016 at 07:22
Just celebrating 40 years of going to see prog bands...my first 10 gigs were (in chronological order...)

1. Druid (1976) - Nottingham, Playhouse
2. Genesis (1977) - Leicester, De Montfort
3. Henry Cow - Nottingham, Victoria Leisure Centre
4. Peter Gabriel - Leicester, De Montfort
5. Hawkwind - Leicester, De Montfort
6. Henry Cow (again) - Nottingham, University
7. Yes - Stafford, Bingley Halls
8. Fairport Convention - Nottingham, University
9. Steve Hillage/National Health (1978) - Leicester, University
10. Knebworth Festival: Genesis, Brand X etc. - Knebworth Park, Herts.

All those early gigs were magic!

Edited by Flight123 - February 18 2016 at 03:33
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 08:25
As a kid my older brother took me along to the ATOTT tour of Genesis after endless discussions with my parents who did not want me to go (I was seven years old, my brother seventeen). I sat on my brothers shoulders throughout the concert.

After that I saw Yes, Gentle Giant and Guru Guru (Guru Guru actually played at my brother's school). Then there was nothing for a long time since my brother moved out.

Edited by BaldFriede - February 17 2016 at 08:29

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 08:54
Uriah Heep was the first band I ever saw live. Must've been around 1995. I had a beeping noise in my ears two weeks after that. I entirely blame Bernie Shaw and his ridiculous screams.

Hmmm how about Deep Purple - do they count? Nahh...

Errmm..

I saw Burnin' Red Ivanhoe quite a few times around the turn of the millennium. Secret Oyster too!!....and anything featuring Karsten Vogel on saxophone is worth attending. The man is a genius. 
Best show I ever saw with them was probably around 2007-8 in this little charming wooden amphitheatre. Quite simply an outstanding gig - with this breathtaking sun deity influenced opening complete with gong and glistening chimes. 

I caught Fantomas during Roskilde Festival 2005LOL Yeah...that was properly insane. Sorta like a crunchingly heavy take on Circus music - wild jangly clowns and sea lions included. Insanely complicated music...and it worked! Heh I remember the drummer having to flip sheets like some mad classical violinist wrestling with Novacek. 

Ahh nuts, I'll have to get back to you on this. I've got a spotty recollection, and I don't really categorise music outside of this place. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 09:02

Hi,

Goodness ... Madison, WI ... saw Blues Magoos, The Who and the main act? Herman and the Hermits!

And yes, Pete smashed a stack and Keith rolled his drums into the audience, on what was a very small stage ... was looking for tickets to see Otis Redding at DJ's, but we all know what happened on that fateful night on Lake Monona.

Went to a huge outdoor concert near Green Bay, all weekend, that had a massive number of bands, including Sons of Champlin, Crow, Ravi Shankar, Buffy Saint Marie, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Sugar Loaf and way too many others (I have poster on the wall and still can not name all the bands!). This would have easily covered the first 10.

My concert going and enjoyment did not start until I went to California in the fall of 1971, and the first one was Pink Floyd at the Hollywood Bowl in September 1972.

Edited by moshkito - February 17 2016 at 09:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 09:22
I've decided to only include what I would call a proper band as opposed to local unsigned bands;

Marillion December 13th 1984 Hammersmith Odeon
Marillion January 1986 Hammersmith Odeon
Iron Maiden November 1986 Hammersmith Odeon
Crazyhead Chelmsford sometime in late 1986.
Deep Purple January 1987 Wembley Arena
Fields of the Nephilum Autumn 1987 Rayleigh Pink Toothbrush
Marillion November 5th 1987 Wembley Arena
T'Pau    December 1987 Hammersmith Odeon
Marillion January 1988 Hammersmith Odeon
1988 Monsters of Rock Donnington August 20th 1988

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 10:44
Jethro Tull (A Passion Play)
Robin Trower (For Earth Below)
Yes (Going For the One)
Nektar (just after Roye Abrighton left)
ELP (Works)
Peter Gabriel (second album)
U.K. (Danger Money)
Gentle Giant (as part of a multi-act show headlining Yes in '76)
Genesis (And Then There Were Three)
Devo (Oh No! It's Devo)
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 12:11
Tobruk (summer 1973)
Kiss with Cheap Trick (summer 1975)
100 Proof (fall 1976)
Madcats (fall 1976)
Avalon (fall 1976)
Queen with Thin Lizzy (Jan. 1977)
Styx with Prism (March 1977)

Edited by presdoug - February 17 2016 at 12:15
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 12:40
There is going to be some guessing involved in this as my memory isn't what it was.

Definitely first was Rainbow on the Difficult To Cure tour in 81 at Leeds Queens Hall, so

Rainbow
Motorhead
AC/DC
Ozzy Osbourne
Magnum
Tygers Of Pan Tang
Stranglers
Groundhogs
Atomic Rooster
Hawkwind

Not included Reading Rock Festival 82 & 83 - (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Thin Lizzy, MSG, Budgie)

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - February 17 2016 at 12:58
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 12:48
They weren't prog bands in most cases for me....
Cryan Shames  1969
Aorta 1969
Tommy James and Shondells 1969
CTA(Chicago) 1969
James Gang 1970
Jefferson Airplane 1971
Byrds 1971
BB King 1971
Mountain 1971
Elton John 1972
The Faces and Deep Purple 1972 or 73
Who 1973
Tull 1973
Yes 1973
Moody Blues 1973

Edited by dr wu23 - February 17 2016 at 12:52
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 12:57
It was a long time ago but if I remember correctly.....

Wishbone Ash 1972 Sheffield City Hall was my first gig
Dr Feelgood
Procol Harum
Sutherland Brothers and Quiver
Gallagher & Lyle
Queen
Genesis
Camel
After The Fire
Elkie Brooks

Not much prog there really, and with the exception of Wishbone Ash, After The Fire and Camel, I only ever saw each of the others once.

Edited by AlanB - February 18 2016 at 06:47
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 13:13
the first concert I ever went to was actually a festival. and not just any festival - it was THE festival: Woodstock. I have no recollection whatever of it though because I was 9 months old at that time.

so the bands that played there were the first ones I ever saw and heard live, though I probably slept most of the time

Edited by BaldJean - February 17 2016 at 13:16

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 13:22
Those that I remember

Cure
Wire
Echo and the Bunnymen
Siouxsie and the Banshees
Peter Gabriel
Arto Lindsay
David Sylvian
Cornelius
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 16:12
Fun question!

1) The Tubes (San Jose Center for the Performing Arts: 1976)
2) Yes/Gentle Giant (with Moraz...Cow Palace: 1976)
3) Tull/ELO/Rory Gallagher (Oakland Arena: 1976)
4) Genesis (with Hackett...SF Winterland: 1977)
5) Renaissance/Steve Martin (yes THAT Steve Martin!  Another perplexing Bill Graham lineup.  Paramount Theater, Oakland: 1977)
6) Tull (Oakland Arena: 1977)
7) Led Zeppelin/Rick Derringer/Judas Priest (LZ's final US appearance...Oakland Coliseum: 1977)
8) ELP/Journey (Works tour after ELP fired the orchestra...Oakland Arena: 1977)
9) Queen (Oakland Arena: 1977)
10) David Bowie (with Belew on guitar and Roger Powell on keys...Oakland Arena: 1978)
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 16:17
Hmmm ...  people must not be smoking as much dope at concerts because though I remember my first few shows ~ Black Sabbath, Saxon, Ronnie Lane's Appeal Tour ~ after that it's a blur.   I of course kept all my tickets but I'm not gonna fumble through a stack of nearly a hundred ticket stubs to find out.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 17:24
Geeze, I know I'm missing some bands and my memory sucks, but I was 12 at my first concert (my cousins snuck me out of the house):

Alice Cooper w/Jo Jo Gunne and Captain Beyond (1972, School's Out)
Deep Purple (1973, Machine Head)
Black Sabbath (1974 Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was out, but they played only 1 song from it)
Robin Trower w/Humble Pie (1975)
Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Foghat and The Outlaws (1976, Pontiac Silverdome)
Genesis (1976, Trick of the Tail)
Pink Floyd (1977, In the Flesh)
Jethro Tull (1977, Songs from the Wood)
Yes (1977, Going for the One)
Neil Young (1978, Rust Never Sleeps)

Hmmm...yeah, I am missing a few. Oh well.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 18:03
WOW....1st 10 bands??

1st concert ever was Cal-Jam - 1974, dude I was 10! Don't remember it was like Deep Purple, ELP, EW&F, Eagles, Black Sabbath, I had a headache from the weed in the air.
Rush 2112 Tour - LA Starwood 1976
Parliament P-Funk Earth Tour - LA Forum 1977
Earth Wind & Fire - All n All Tour LA Forum 1977 or 1978
...after that I would be guessing on order, no clue.

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 18:11
My list is boring compared to all these.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2016 at 18:19
First concert was Monsters of Rock in 1988 (Pontiac Silverdome):
1. Kingdom Come
2. Dokken
3. Scorpions
4. Metallica
5. Van Halen

2nd Concert was also in 1988; the 2nd concert ever performed at the Palace of Auburn Hills

6. Poison
7. David Lee Roth

After that, I don't remember.

Prog bands that I have seen all after 1990: Rush, Yes, Rick Wakeman (in Toronto), ELP, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Kansas, Dream Theater (Opening act for ELP and Deep Purple), Tiles, Discipline, Matthew Parmenter, Agents of Mercy/Karmakanic.  Prog related bands that I have seen: Asia, Chicago, ELO, Journey, The Moody Blues, Styx, Deep Purple, The Who, Metallica, Robert Plant, Alan Parsons Project, Anderson Ponty Band, Todd Rundgren, King's X, Mellotron (now Imminent Sonic Destruction), Primus.  All that I can think of at the moment..and off topic, but I felt bad that my first 7 didn't have any prog bands included.  LOL

Edited by rushfan4 - February 17 2016 at 18:24
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 10:21
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

WOW....1st 10 bands??

1st concert ever was Cal-Jam - 1974, dude I was 10! Don't remember it was like Deep Purple, ELP, EW&F, Eagles, Black Sabbath, I had a headache from the weed in the air.
Rush 2112 Tour - LA Starwood 1976
Parliament P-Funk Earth Tour - LA Forum 1977
Earth Wind & Fire - All n All Tour LA Forum 1977 or 1978
...after that I would be guessing on order, no clue.

Wow, you were at the Cal Jam '74!!!  I've always considered that the holy grail of festivals.  Seeing the tv broadcast on "In Concert" was what turned me on to Black Sabbath and ELP Wink
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imperial Zeppelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2016 at 10:28
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

My list is boring compared to all these.
mine is still empty LOL
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>