Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDeep Purple (1968-1974) vs EL&P (1970 - 1980)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: which
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [40.00%]
32 [45.71%]
9 [12.86%]
1 [1.43%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 22:58
ELP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 05:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The first three Deep Purple albums smoke anything I've ever heard from ELP....maybe except for Tarkus.

The actual first 3...or do you mean 4, 5, and 6.....?

Wink

Shades of Deep Purple, The Book of Taliesyn and the selftitled (the live thang with the symphony orchestra is brilliant as well)Big smile

I bought the classics first though, but aside for the occasional spin of Child in Time and the live album from Japan (got the 3 cd version), I almost never listen to that leg of their career. There's a raw and youthful exuberance to those early efforts that disappeared with the arrival of Ian.  

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 05:34
Strange pairing but ELP easily - might have made more sense to compare Jon Lord against Emerson including compositional aspects.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 07:11
man I love both.. but I have never voted 'both' in 11 years around this forum. That is a option for pussies and the weak minded.  Sometimes you have to make a choice damnit...

in that... the choice is easy.  Carl Palmer was slightly hotter and definitely had better hair than Ian Paice. Not to mention a smidge better drummer.

ELP baby.. but no slight on D.P which is one of the top 5 most played bands here in our home. Even more than ELP in fact...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 08:41
Deep Purple for me.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 23:13
Ah the headliner from Cal Jam 74 and one of the warm acts. Like the best material from both. ELP' s Works is about 50% of one really fine album (the band tracks and Piano Concerto). I like Works 2; very eclectic. The second version of Purple's Concerto is sublime and a big improvement on the first.  the performance by the orchestra is more in tune with a rock band rather than displaying a snobbishness for a genre outside their own. The ballads Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming and Watching the Sky sound absolutely powerful and full with the orchestra. Purple are very versatile and the first CD goes through all the other aspects of the musical facets (jazz orchestras for example) that put Purple right at the forefront of progression rather than being summarily dismissed as a mere hard rock band.

One should not forget the Gemini Suite either; Purple's or Lord's. They both give very fine concert too. Welcome Back versus Made In Japan...? Probably go with the ELP as the jam at the end of Space Truckin' is a bit noisy and monotonous for me. Purple were a bit inconsistent with their live albums; I thought Made In Europe sounded very desultory, a bit like the oddly disappointing Yesshows. Live In London (touring after Burn) is far more incendiary.

ELP's classical rock is fine; probably go for the debut out of them all but I'd include Pictures in there as it is a perfectly valid album no matter it's recording circumstance.

I could imagine Blackmore with ELP actually. Might have been worth an album and tour - I think it is a very good idea and muso / personality match more so than if Hendrix joined up with the disintegrating Nice. Hendrix was possibly a bit more blues oriented to Emerson's Bach which makes Blackmore a more logical inclusion. Which probably will never happen.

antonyus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 01:31
by lightyear Deep Purple
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 09:22
Purple is cool

but

ELP for me
Prog On!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 10:30
From a Prog perspective...ELP.....No doubt.

Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 14:55
suprisingly and intriguingly even result so far, me likey
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 12:49
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Ah the headliner from Cal Jam 74 and one of the warm acts. Like the best material from both. ELP' s Works is about 50% of one really fine album (the band tracks and Piano Concerto). I like Works 2; very eclectic. The second version of Purple's Concerto is sublime and a big improvement on the first.  the performance by the orchestra is more in tune with a rock band rather than displaying a snobbishness for a genre outside their own. The ballads Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming and Watching the Sky sound absolutely powerful and full with the orchestra. Purple are very versatile and the first CD goes through all the other aspects of the musical facets (jazz orchestras for example) that put Purple right at the forefront of progression rather than being summarily dismissed as a mere hard rock band.

One should not forget the Gemini Suite either; Purple's or Lord's. They both give very fine concert too. Welcome Back versus Made In Japan...? Probably go with the ELP as the jam at the end of Space Truckin' is a bit noisy and monotonous for me. Purple were a bit inconsistent with their live albums; I thought Made In Europe sounded very desultory, a bit like the oddly disappointing Yesshows. Live In London (touring after Burn) is far more incendiary.

ELP's classical rock is fine; probably go for the debut out of them all but I'd include Pictures in there as it is a perfectly valid album no matter it's recording circumstance.

I could imagine Blackmore with ELP actually. Might have been worth an album and tour - I think it is a very good idea and muso / personality match more so than if Hendrix joined up with the disintegrating Nice. Hendrix was possibly a bit more blues oriented to Emerson's Bach which makes Blackmore a more logical inclusion. Which probably will never happen.

Blackmore and Hendrix are /were respectivly both, forcess of nature.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 13:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

man I love both.. but I have never voted 'both' in 11 years around this forum. That is a option for pussies and the weak minded.  Sometimes you have to make a choice damnit...

in that... the choice is easy.  Carl Palmer was slightly hotter and definitely had better hair than Ian Paice. Not to mention a smidge better drummer.

ELP baby.. but no slight on D.P which is one of the top 5 most played bands here in our home. Even more than ELP in fact...

Both
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2016 at 11:37
E.L.P
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2016 at 18:14
People seem to forget just how great ELP was up to and including Brain Salad Surgery.

I haven't.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 04:20
Neither I, and I would include the group side of Works Vol. 1 as 'great' as well.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 04:31
None belong to the long list of my favorite bands, but I like the first ELP and the song Child in time
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 08:51
I always thought ELP  didn't want a trad guitar sounding band which is why they formed a three man group.
Did they ever actually seriously consider a guitar player and audition any?

Regarding Blackmore and Hendrix....Blackmore certainly would have fit into ELP better but imho Hendrix was far more a force of nature than Blackmore who never really impressed me and even now I'm not that big a fan of DP. I do like many of their classic songs but  I actually like what Blackmore has done with his folk rock band more than most of the stuff he did with DP.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2016 at 09:46
Blackmore is a decent guitar player, nothing more, nothing less. Never understood all the adulation for him.......just like Page...........don't get me wrong, they are pretty good, but often rough and sloppy - Holdsworth runs rings around them............
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 01:58
Deep Purple
I like ELP a lot but I just listen to DP more.

As for DP's classic period, it should be 1968-1975 (when Come Taste the Band was released, a fine album if you ask me).
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2016 at 02:23
Just noticed, although ELP announced they were splitting in 1979, they effectively ceased operations with 'Love Beach' in 1978.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>