Topic ClosedLate Bloomers/Second Wind

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Late Bloomers/Second Wind
    Posted: February 20 2016 at 10:59
I rarely dig new releases from the old dinosaurs. About 90% of what I hear old bands turn out can be reduced to 2 things for me: sonic tiredness prolonged to keep the wheels go round and a general unimaginative approach to making music. 
There are however exceptions out there. I've recently been bowled over by German Krautrockers Electric Orange's Vol 10 - their tenth studio effort. They've honestly never sounded better. In fact, I rank this release as their absolute finest inside their 25 year long career. 
Franco Battiato also made one hell of a comeback album with 2014's Joe Patti's Experimental Group - a release that rivals his best 70s work, which is quite a statement coming from this diehard fan. I sure as hell wasn't optimistic when I first popped it on my stereo.

Then there are those rare bands that somehow never get stale. They keep pushing the limits and evolving their sound. Here I'm specifically thinking of two Norwegian bands - Ulver and Motorpsycho respectively. Both acts seem right on the edge of "hip" and "cool" to the young music fans out there - kids that probably were in their diapers, or momma's internal handbag, around the time they started out. Yet whenever either of these bands release something new, you'll see countless of teens from around the world write grammatically challenged odes.

Now I'm not that interested in seeing this thread turn into members merely posting lists of bands that fit the criteria, but infinitely more enthralled by a possible discussion on the subject. 

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 11:08
you might like "Düülirium" by Amon Düül 2. it has all the qualities of the old Amon Düül 2 - quirkiness and long improvisations. I had not believed the Düüls still had it in them, but this is one of my favorite albums of them

Edited by BaldJean - February 20 2016 at 11:12

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 11:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Then there are those rare bands that somehow never get stale. They keep pushing the limits and evolving their sound. Here I'm specifically thinking of two Norwegian bands - Ulver and Motorpsycho respectively. Both acts seem right on the edge of "hip" and "cool" to the young music fans out there - kids that probably were in their diapers, or momma's internal handbag, around the time they started out. Yet whenever either of these bands release something new, you'll see countless of teens from around the world write grammatically challenged odes.

If you take Ulver and Motorpycho as examples you could speculate that this has something to do with the musicians keeping themselves fresh by continually collaborating with new people, either in the band context or outside of it.  I think AKA Moon would be another instance of this.

It probably helps for such a collaborative approach if you've got a flourishing local scene that is full of people with similar (or nicely contrasting) musical interests, providing a ready source of musical bedmates. Norway seems to have that in spades!

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 15:58
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

you might like "Düülirium" by Amon Düül 2. it has all the qualities of the old Amon Düül 2 - quirkiness and long improvisations. I had not believed the Düüls still had it in them, but this is one of my favorite albums of them

Yeah I felt the same when I first purchased this, but my interest has since then waned somewhat. Still a good album though considering most of the band members are close to a hundred.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 16:03
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

If you take Ulver and Motorpycho as examples you could speculate that this has something to do with the musicians keeping themselves fresh by continually collaborating with new people, either in the band context or outside of it.  I think AKA Moon would be another instance of this.

It probably helps for such a collaborative approach if you've got a flourishing local scene that is full of people with similar (or nicely contrasting) musical interests, providing a ready source of musical bedmates. Norway seems to have that in spades!

You might be onto something there Simon. Norway, in particular, has seen a multitude of new progressive bands during the last 15 years or so - many of whom do a little gang-banging outside of their respective groups.
It also helps being open to new frontiers - new venues of sound. Ulver fx started out as a black metal band for then to embrace folk, post rock, ambient, electronic/IDM and now with their latest something akin to Krautrock - Ulver-style that is.

- Douglas Adams
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 16:17
I think Jaga Jazzist should be added to the equation
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 16:36
I'd say Dream Theater fits the bill with their latest.  After all of their years and all of their albums, they have arrived with a double concept album created for music theater.  And despite all of the naysayers, I know I am right, because every long-term fan that I know seems to hate the new album because it is apparently not what they want from their Dream Theater album.    Now take that in your daddy prog pipe and smoke it. Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 16:39

- Douglas Adams
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 17:35
Pendragon.  I prefer their last three albums over their first seven.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 19:41
^Same, although I don't like their latest.

For me, I don't truly enjoy any King Crimson albums other than ConstrucKtion of Light and Power to Believe.
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2016 at 22:17
I was pleasantly surprised by Jean-Michel Jarre's 2015 album Electronica 1: The Time Machine. While there were certain tracks I disliked, I enjoyed the bulk of the album. As was mentioned earlier, collaborations seemed to have helped getting the creative juices flowing.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 04:59
^Funny you should mention that. You are the first person I've seen talk of this album in a positive manner. I've mostly heard folks complaining about it being too...erm...plasticy and anodyne. A friend of mine even got mad at itLOL

- Douglas Adams
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 07:22
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I'd say Dream Theater fits the bill with their latest.  After all of their years and all of their albums, they have arrived with a double concept album created for music theater.  And despite all of the naysayers, I know I am right, because every long-term fan that I know seems to hate the new album because it is apparently not what they want from their Dream Theater album.    Now take that in your daddy prog pipe and smoke it. Wink

well GAWD damn... that sounds like an album I might like..

wait..  *slams head into table*

ok... better now.  I'm sure it still sucks.. even if it is different LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 14:47
I agree Bamsen about being disappointed by far with most older band's new releases, 90% would probably be close. YES is a good example but there's lots.
CIRCLE's new one blew me away, a fresh sound from a band who's released something like 30 albums(approx.).
I'm about to review KOMARA's debut and will mention that this could have been what KING CRIMSON's latest sounded like. Of course Pat on drums for both bands is the connection. That Bruford quote about "when you want to hear what music is going to sound like in the future, you put on a King Crimson album" sure didn't hold true for their latest but KOMARA showed what could have been. 
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 20:19
I've always preferred new material from older artists. To me the old veterans are more hungry to take things to new places because they've already tread so much ground. I'd suggest Henry Kaiser as older fellow still pouring out fresh stuff; from tortured avant guitar on Lake Monsters (with Sandy Ewen) to histrionic leads alongside classical keyboards on Ultraviolet Licorice (with Bob Bralove) to the Rock and Jazz intermingling on The Celestial Squid (with Ray Russell) to the Prog candy of Invisible Rays (with Morgen Ågren and Trey Gunn) to the dual randomly timed delay trick he uses on Requia and Other Improvisations for Guitar Solo making him sound like more than one person playing. He improvises everything, so it never sounds stale. I'm not sure what hip is nowadays, but I'd say he dabbles in hip with his use of bit crusher type distortion he uses on the track, March of the Wind Potatoes, off Ultraviolet Licorice (a wee bit to my chagrin, since I don't really care for bit crushers, but what the hey).
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2016 at 20:52
When the SWANS went on an indefinite hiatus, after awhile it seemed to me like they were permanent history, but not only did they eventually reform, but came back with a monstrous vengeance. Hell, they returned with such force that even PA couldn't deny their presence here any longer. Personally I'm partial to their 83-87 stuff due to nostalgia plus it being pretty nuts in retrospect, but their new releases are damn cool, and there are plenty of new fans that seem more down with The Seer & To Be Kind than their 80's era.

Edited by Prog Sothoth - February 21 2016 at 20:53
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 09:35
Swans best stuff is their latest stuff.     I would argue that Black Sabbath's 13 and IQ's Road of Bones in a way, both qualify.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 09:40
I totally agree on Swans and I can't believe I forgot about themWacko Currently spinning To Be Kind and digging the hell out of it. Must've been a year since I last heard it.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 09:45
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I agree Bamsen about being disappointed by far with most older band's new releases, 90% would probably be close. YES is a good example but there's lots.
CIRCLE's new one blew me away, a fresh sound from a band who's released something like 30 albums(approx.).
I'm about to review KOMARA's debut and will mention that this could have been what KING CRIMSON's latest sounded like. Of course Pat on drums for both bands is the connection. That Bruford quote about "when you want to hear what music is going to sound like in the future, you put on a King Crimson album" sure didn't hold true for their latest but KOMARA showed what could have been. 

That was such a great review JohnClap 
The best "King Crimson album" since Power to Believe imo. I really dig what that trumpet brings to the table!
I think I'll spin it later today for my workout. Pat's drumming is perfect for a little dumbbell action.

Circle also fits the bill but it took Pharaoh Overlord for me to realise that. I haven't heard anything new from them in a long while. They must've made 10 albums while I was away.

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 22 2016 at 09:48

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2016 at 09:58

Hi,

Originally posted by Baldjean Baldjean wrote:

... you might like "Düülirium" by Amon Düül 2. it has all the qualities of the old Amon Düül 2 - quirkiness and long improvisations. I had not believed the Düüls still had it in them, but this is one of my favorite albums of them...

As much as I like this band, and will forever love them, this album is nice ... but seriously sad. It is a tired album, and the one thing one gets from them, is something like this ... we can improvise, and do what you/we want and it will be good ... and in this case it wasn't that good, because it was not focused ... everyone doing what they want ... they stop at one take (or two ... whatever) and figured that it was enough ... which kinda tells you that they lost the "source', and that they figured that anything was better than nothing ... or ... I'm tired of this and want to go do something else.

I found that sad. If that was not the case, then the bad, no longer had a "feeling" for something that happened then, and is long gone ... the romantic side of it all is far gone ... and if anything ... this just brings up what they had already specified before ... in "Apocaliptyc Bore" ... and that was that.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>