FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAmerican Politics the 2016 edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 146>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2016 at 22:04
Brilliant speech by Barrack Obama. I may not be American, but tonight's convention reminded me of Christmas Eve coming back home after finishing my last minute Christmas shopping -- it's only at that point that my Grinchy heart expands and that Christmas spirit feeling comes over me. Was all the more enjoyable watching it with my daughter's new guinea pigs.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 04:27
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Trump just said he likes Russia hacking Hillary's emails. 

Trump just said he hopes the geo-political rival of the United States meddles in US internal politics 

Trump just said he likes that Putin hacks the former Secretary of State of the US. 

"Make America Great Again" 

Yet the brilliant voters actually think he's the one always putting America first 

Color blinds people. 
Just to backtrack for a moment T, what is disturbing about Trump's hate and fascism it not that it disturbs us, But that it fails to disturb his supporters. What type of country has America become or what did it evolve from?

That Trump's hate mongering has become a norm, rests squarely with the news media that reported very foul word spoken by the Donald ad nauseam. It has now become normal and a virtue to some to be demagogue. Sad times indeed.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 07:30
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Just to backtrack for a moment T, what is disturbing about Trump's hate and fascism it not that it disturbs us, But that it fails to disturb his supporters. What type of country has America become or what did it evolve from?

That Trump's hate mongering has become a norm, rests squarely with the news media that reported very foul word spoken by the Donald ad nauseam. It has now become normal and a virtue to some to be demagogue. Sad times indeed.
Well said. It's worrying that, once Trump is history, the "movement" (is not really one) will remain, the people who supported him and voted for him will still be there, ready and waiting for the next demagogue. And next time, it may be a much smarter, much better-at-politics demagogue. 
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 09:51

What disturbs me far more is people who see racism, sexism, hate, fascism, etc. in all sorts of statements and actions that are not at all racism, sexism, etc.  The political correctness and social justice warrior movements are pretty disturbing.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 12:39
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

What disturbs me far more is people who see racism, sexism, hate, fascism, etc. in all sorts of statements and actions that are not at all racism, sexism, etc.  The political correctness and social justice warrior movements are pretty disturbing.
As with most things in life, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Let's agree that we both mean well and put this PC topic to rest. It will always be around, just like democrats and republicans.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 13:24

As with most things in life, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Let's agree that we both mean well and put this PC topic to rest. It will always be around, just like democrats and republicans.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/middle-ground.html
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 13:58
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

For people like you, the world is either black or white, good or bad, beautiful or tragic.

It can never be what it really is. Which is both. I sincerely feel bad for you. Life is  much more than definitions.

Edited by SteveG - July 28 2016 at 14:06
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 15:08

For people like you, the world is either black or white, good or bad, beautiful or tragic.

It can never be what it really is. Which is both. I sincerely feel bad for you. Life is  much more than definitions.

I am simply pointing out that an appeal to moderation isn't necessarily useful in understanding complex issues.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 15:13

I am simply pointing out that an appeal to moderation isn't necessarily useful in understanding complex issues.
There are valid arguments for many complex issues. Truth is the most complex as it's determined by who's defining it. I was not defining it. I was only quantifying it. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 19:40
A good article in The Atlantic about Trump's many scandals....

And the article doesn't even touch on the three accusations of rape against Little Hands Donald, one of which, an alleged rape of a 13 year-old (with an assist from Trump's billionaire buddy, convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein), is currently going to court.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 19:43
They better save some scandals for October or it won't count on election day -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 20:13
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

A good article in The Atlantic about Trump's many scandals....

And the article doesn't even touch on the three accusations of rape against Little Hands Donald, one of which, an alleged rape of a 13 year-old (with an assist from Trump's billionaire buddy, convicted pedophile Jeffrey Epstein), is currently going to court.

Yet there are some people, worried about morals, who blame Hillary for the errors of his husband and for some reason think the evident immorality of Trump is okay because it was done when he was not in public office.

One's husband has sex with an adult (admittedly from a position of power)

The other one has accusations of RAPE

Guess who is the "moral" one.

Going on a tangent, God how I pray for the day an Atheist can be president of this United Churches of America.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 20:40
I'm cynically laughing inside at the thousands or millions of macho 'murican mysoginists suffering right now at the idea of having a person with two X chromosomes be their president and commander in chief. Oh so glorious their bigoted suffering...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 20:41
Ermm sorry to interrupt, but the middle ground is not an appeal moderation, nor is it the mean or average between two extremes. What it is is the removal of dogma and blind obedience to one or other extreme (which has never worked and will never work). Since "somewhere in the middle" actually entails taking what does work from each extreme there are many combinations and permutations of what the middle ground comprises of so no two middle-ground solutions are the same and that presents a bit of an identity problem.

[going back to the PC issue (which was from a different thread) - the middle ground there is retaining the PCness that frowns upon actual offensive derogatory language and rejecting the silly "PC gone mad" tabloid-news fodder that wasn't actually PC-related in the first place. The middle-ground is noticing when something that is being decried as "PC gone mad" isn't actually a PC issue at all but anti-PC propaganda.]

Hey-ho... back to discussing the fetching three-button navy blue pants suit the democrat nominees' spouse was wearing.
What?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 22:04
good speech I thought by Hillary. Not great, but that isn't who she is. She isn't the gifted natural politician her husband is, nor is she a charismatic demagogue like Trump. She is a policy wonk not a public speaker...

I agree with what I heard as far as analysis.. she didn't need to hit a  home run, just a double.  I think she did that perfectly well.

Wow though... again.. agreed. Democratic Speechwriters and speakers ate their Wheeties.  Best of the night..

Khizr Khan Powerful and touching..

funnest...Jennifer Granholm LOL

most rousing.. .that general guy...

hottest daughter... Chelsea LOLHeart

Edited by micky - July 28 2016 at 22:04
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 22:27
my thoughts on the two conventions..

best comment I heard tonight...a comtrast two segments of the electorate that exist in differing universes.

One that can not even muster his own party to support him, full of fear, anger, division and zero vision for the future...  other than one...  defeating Hillary.  bankrupt they are.. nothing to run on.. only against.

Another that reminded with many great, eloquent, and passionate speakers us that our country is vastly better off now than it was after the train wreck of the last (and hopefully THE last) Republican administration. One that hammered home that our country is great because of diversity, a positive attitude, and getting things done.

Night and day the conventions were different.. as are day and night the two parties are different. 

I think the fanstastically successful and unifying (forget the Bernie or Busters they are dead enders politically and never were part of the Party) DNC plus the potential jumping of the shark of Trump's encouraging Russian hacking/espionage presser should ease those of you that worry about Trump winning.

As I noted earlier.. there are no new skeleotons to come out of Hillaries closet... but Trump...  the rapist.

His legal and ethical problems are just getting started.. and potentially FAR more serious than Hillary a bunch of stupid f**king emails.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 22:32
Content was pretty solid.  Just that she doesn't modulate her voice very much at all, so it starts sounding monotonous after some time.  Tell you what, Sonia Gandhi with her fumbling Hindi felled the great orator Vajpayee in 2004 (NOT that that was a good thing), so maybe there's hope for Hillary.  And if the Russia misfire is any indication, maybe Trump will start tripping over his own words and defeat himself.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 23:31
Obama's speech was truly great. I am sorry but no one will top it. Not Hillary or Bill, or Bernie, I've said I feel he's the best speaker of my lifetime and I stand by it. Not sure when we'll have someone as good as Obama. Damn that was brilliant. 

What struck me perhaps the most was his bit about Reagan's "city upon the hill" and how Trump doesn't sound very Republican or conservative. He hit it square on the head. I feel Bush was a poor President, I struggle to think of anything positive about his tenure, but he was warm, upbeat despite his political failings I always believed and still do, he is a good guy and I don't doubt his sincerity or care/want to do right (I just question his beliefs and political intelligence). It's well known I hate Reagan but he was upbeat and jovial. Obama is right, conservatives are supposed to love America and we can debate and fight, but they always focus on the good of America while Trump has focused on darkness, and he's made all his comments that border on loathful of America, capped off with this insane asking Russia to commit espionage on usLOL

Also his line about the Texas conservative who disagreed with Obama on everything, but appreciated he tries to be a good dad. I know it's sappy...but I think this is sorely missing today. Politics is what it is and always will be, but maybe it'd a bit less awful if remembered we are all human beingsLOL

Edited by JJLehto - July 28 2016 at 23:57
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 23:46
I will try to be objective and look at Bill's speech on it's own, it's well known I am not a big fan of Bill and that goes waaay back, has nothing to do with this current election. 

I wasn't super into his speech, but I also understand it. What else could he really say? What type of person wouldn't want to basically have a 45 minute gush session, and I do sincerely mean that. If it was my wife getting nominated to run for PotUS I'd do the same. Oh and he absolutely needs to be 1000000% behind her. Not just out of ya know, being human, but given how steadfast she was supporting him through his political career and personal failings....he better damn well reciprocate!

The speech was 100% Bill. Personal, warm, humorous and a tad pushing of the lines ya know in that way that really makes ya think he's a bud at the bar. 

About to watch Hillary's. I did see already, through Robert Reich, she mentions Sanders his supporters and says pretty much everything right. At this moment, that's all that really can be done. Obama even got his slip in there, asking all Americans who care about certain issues to be as passionate as Sanders was. Everyone is doing what they supposed to, and I can't vouch for anyone but me...it's helping. The past can't be changed, and I sure as hell wanna see results in the future, but to just hear acknowledgement honestly is helping the sting. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2016 at 23:52
That said, literally the moment she gets it the big donors are rolling inLOL

We have to be realistic, this has nothing to do with Clinton, but politics in general: It's really really hard to believe she won't be influenced by this $. Just like the gun toting NRA funded or climate change/smoking is harmful denying Repubs and their Koch $, or the Democratic Senators with big healthcare contributions that killed the public option. Our politicians do what their donors ask, it's not crazy, so like many I am quite skeptical of Clinton's words. I have accepted she will not "be tough" on Wall St (neither would Trump) and when the next recession comes, Wall St and Finance will be coddled, big banks will be rescued....I just hope she'll at least throw something to the rest of us.  

At least don't let main st suffer while this goes on, and if the big banks get rescued, at least do so in a better fashion than 08. 
Obama's tenure has certainly been kind to the wealthy and big banks, but least he did some for the middle class (I'd say more than any President since before Reagan) so I'm coming to accept if Hillary can do the same, at least cut the pie so we all got some of it and not just all the elites, I'll consider it a success. Though of course would like more than that. Bernie will have a much greater name recognition now, and it's known his ideas do have a large amount of support...maybe a stronger push for jobs and wages will actually be had. We shall see.

Edited by JJLehto - July 28 2016 at 23:55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6768697071 146>