Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAmerican Politics the 2016 edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 146>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 07:53
Yeah yeah the usual "Clinton's been through it all" "Sanders is soft" etc etc Still nothing of substance whatsoever but I'll let it go. I have long accepted very few (and I mean few) Clinton backers can produce concrete, non image reasons why they like her. 
Man just be glad, whether it was on purpose or divine graces, she got pitted against Trump...worst candidate in modern history and until the debates, so many people were still undecided he was basically tied in polls. What a home run candidate she is. 

As for older voters, if they remember the failure of past Democrats they are remembering falsely! It's been their moderatism and meeting the GOP at their door step, that has been their downfall for decades. I've beaten this horse to death, but Dems have long accepted defeat in my eyes. The GOP has perfected madman negotiating, the Dems meet them at their doorstep, with some tea and cookies, say "Oh you're basically right, but cmon give me something here" 

If you're talking older still, like the 80s well 1: Quit being stuck in the damn past! Times change ya know. 2: Sometimes things can't be helped. Reagan was unbeatable. Just like McCain 08...there was no hope, no way Obama was losing. Sometimes the candidate cant really be blamed, sometimes the environment at the moment just isn't good for one of the parties. Back then we had decades of Democratic control and New Deal-ism. The Reagan style GOP was new, fresh, their own hope and change moment. 

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 08:18
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

interesting...  I read the Republican social problems differently.. thus the fatal gunshot wound leading to being supplanted.  Who makes up the base, the core of the Republican Party. Economic conservative?  hardly..  foreign hawks? hardly... it is the very group that would try to keep a straight face and vote for Trump (even though he flies in the face of everything that religious conservatives say is important to them) than vote for a Democrat. The basic problem they have is that in order to move left.. they have to cut lose ..a substantial part of their core support. The cultural right and remnants of the Religious Right.  They have ZERO place in the Democratic Party.  There is no place for them... yet as i noted earlier.. there are still Replicans out there that still subscribe to all that less taxes, small government and pro-business.  You have two very different camps under one tent. 

Not really. They just have to wait for a lot of those people to die. And in any case, it's hard to predict how parties absorb voters and form alliances. 50 years ago the South was die hard democrat. And the point is that there becomes room. The notion that parties actually stand for anything is terms of principles is wrong. It plays out like this often because they have core voter bases that are fairly inelastic, but the parties are just clamoring for voters.

anyhow Pat... you don't see the more 'moderate' (fiscal and foreign) aspects of the Republcian Party finding a home with the Libertarians... accepting a more liberal society ideology for a home in a still evolving party that they could easly evolve into one more to their tastes...one that is not shackled with the albatross of being embarrassing and completely out of touch with America today (" no matter who much I believe in limited government.. I can not vote for a party of racists and bigots').. not to mention the basic ideals in which this country was based upon.

Sure it could happen but i lean no. The moderate part is one thing. A moderate libertarian and moderate republican are further off on FP and economic policy than the same for a republican and democrat. The democratic nominee for president is a Bush republican's wet dream for foreign policy. Dems seem like a nice home for most republicans.  Also, I don't buy that idea that donald trump is any more racist or bigoted than the slew of other candidates from both parties. Additionally I think that anyone who isn't voting for trump because of disgusting comments he's made shouldn't be voting in the first place.

Excellent points Pat. 
Hate to keep beating the "stuck in the past" drum but like I've said Mick...you seem to think/want to believe the GOP is forever stuck where they are. I tell ya, it really won't be very hard at all for them to remake themselves. I know us under 30ers well, the conservative ones really are more libertarian tinged and frankly many of us who do care at all, really do have that multi personality "I like Warren and Rand Paul" type thing. The future bloc is ripe for the taking.  
Like I keep saying, once we start to take the reigns the GOP can then easily start shifting to the more libertarian, less socially conservative thing. Oh and Pat is blunt but true, as people die that does naturally help. 

Look I get it, Democrats should be excited. I'm relieved the WH wont be relinquished, I'm excited the Senate is near certainly gunna tip our way, and the House will be far more balanced. In a way, I think a large Dem pickup is like a win.... Since Paul Ryan and co only get by the Tea Party by compromising with Democrats, with even less of a cushion they'll have to compromise farther. 

BUT really, gotta take it easy. All this excitement about the big November win. Ya know it's really because Trump is that bad, and little to do with Clinton?LOL And seriously, you like to look at demographics and stats etc etc  all I read points out how 2018 is very favorable looking for the GOP. Given how mid terms tend to go...and how we all believe Clinton will be as PotUS. I'm telling ya, I fully expect 2018 to be another GOP swing. 
And 3 straight Dem presidencies, a recession is inevitable...2020 can realistically be a GOP win man I tell ya. Which would be horrifying. Imagine Scott Walker with a, tea party infused, Rep congress??

As for modertaism you are right Pat moderate Reps and Dems seem a lot more similar than a moderate Rep and centrist libertarians. 
Absolutely true about Trump. Well, I'm not sure about the Dems. Except for Hillary 08 against Obama... I don't really think the Dems use racist sympathies anymore, and haven't for some time. I do agree Trump really isn't worse than many other GOPers. He just says it far more directly and virulently.

Edited by JJLehto - October 20 2016 at 08:19
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 10:02
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Trump continuing with his asinine rant that the presidential election is rigged (and the primaries are rigged, and the Federal courts are rigged, and the Emmys are rigged, et cetera, ad nauseam) tells me all I need to know about what a danger he is for democracy. Even worse, he wouldn't admit the Russians are trying to manipulate the election (when the Director of National Intelligence, the Department of Homeland Security and the NSA all report that is the case).

This is a distinction I find strange and was surprised Trump didn't attack when Hillary made the argument last evening.  Sure it's probably Russian hackers backed by the State who are feeding Julian Assange the email troves, that's why Kerry leaned on Ecuador to (symbolically) shut off Assange's internet access.  Won't surprise me if he turns up handcuffed and floating in the Thames of a self-inflicted rifle shot to the back of the neck soon either, but that's a topic for another day.

But the emails themselves, as well as leaked transcripts of Hillary's for-profit speeches, appear to be authentic and she and her camp have made almost no effort to deny them, only to attack the source.  Honestly if someone hacked your wife's phone and got evidence she's cheating on you, or hacked your accountant's computer and found evidence he's stealing from you, would you ignore the evidence because you didn't like the source from whence it came?

If you swap "Russian hackers" for "Ed Snowden" then the attitude of half Americans changes as far as how appropriate it was to obtain the emails and transcripts.  And if you swap "Ed Snowden" for "DHS" then the other half of Americans would tend to accept the source of the information.  But you place the blame on shadowy Ruskies and all of a sudden we're supposed to ignore the content of the leaked material?  I don't think so.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 10:28
Wake me up when it is over.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 11:06
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Trump continuing with his asinine rant that the presidential election is rigged (and the primaries are rigged, and the Federal courts are rigged, and the Emmys are rigged, et cetera, ad nauseam) tells me all I need to know about what a danger he is for democracy. Even worse, he wouldn't admit the Russians are trying to manipulate the election (when the Director of National Intelligence, the Department of Homeland Security and the NSA all report that is the case).

This is a distinction I find strange and was surprised Trump didn't attack when Hillary made the argument last evening.  Sure it's probably Russian hackers backed by the State who are feeding Julian Assange the email troves, that's why Kerry leaned on Ecuador to (symbolically) shut off Assange's internet access.  Won't surprise me if he turns up handcuffed and floating in the Thames of a self-inflicted rifle shot to the back of the neck soon either, but that's a topic for another day.

But the emails themselves, as well as leaked transcripts of Hillary's for-profit speeches, appear to be authentic and she and her camp have made almost no effort to deny them, only to attack the source.  Honestly if someone hacked your wife's phone and got evidence she's cheating on you, or hacked your accountant's computer and found evidence he's stealing from you, would you ignore the evidence because you didn't like the source from whence it came?

If you swap "Russian hackers" for "Ed Snowden" then the attitude of half Americans changes as far as how appropriate it was to obtain the emails and transcripts.  And if you swap "Ed Snowden" for "DHS" then the other half of Americans would tend to accept the source of the information.  But you place the blame on shadowy Ruskies and all of a sudden we're supposed to ignore the content of the leaked material?  I don't think so.

It is very strange to me, it's like they are trying to invoke the red scare without anything scary. I can't pretend to hold the US to standards any higher than Russia's, anyway. Hillary played a significant role in tacitly supporting the coup in Honduras, but it's not bad when America does it apparently.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 12:18
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Wake me up when it is over.
Better not boss
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2016 at 13:26
Smile^
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 10:00
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

but it's not bad when America does it apparently.

This is American foreign policy. HRC talks tough about the oppressive Putin regime while the US commits war crimes in Yemen with the decisions antecedent to this being made by her state department.

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2016 at 10:23
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Absolutely true about Trump. Well, I'm not sure about the Dems. Except for Hillary 08 against Obama... I don't really think the Dems use racist sympathies anymore, and haven't for some time. I do agree Trump really isn't worse than many other GOPers. He just says it far more directly and virulently.

You're right. I'm not really aware of much that goes on. They still pursue racist policies of course, but I was really just suggesting that as an example of party fluidity.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 08:14
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

interesting...  I read the Republican social problems differently.. thus the fatal gunshot wound leading to being supplanted.  Who makes up the base, the core of the Republican Party. Economic conservative?  hardly..  foreign hawks? hardly... it is the very group that would try to keep a straight face and vote for Trump (even though he flies in the face of everything that religious conservatives say is important to them) than vote for a Democrat. The basic problem they have is that in order to move left.. they have to cut lose ..a substantial part of their core support. The cultural right and remnants of the Religious Right.  They have ZERO place in the Democratic Party.  There is no place for them... yet as i noted earlier.. there are still Replicans out there that still subscribe to all that less taxes, small government and pro-business.  You have two very different camps under one tent. 

Not really. They just have to wait for a lot of those people to die. And in any case, it's hard to predict how parties absorb voters and form alliances. 50 years ago the South was die hard democrat. And the point is that there becomes room. The notion that parties actually stand for anything is terms of principles is wrong. It plays out like this often because they have core voter bases that are fairly inelastic, but the parties are just clamoring for voters.

anyhow Pat... you don't see the more 'moderate' (fiscal and foreign) aspects of the Republcian Party finding a home with the Libertarians... accepting a more liberal society ideology for a home in a still evolving party that they could easly evolve into one more to their tastes...one that is not shackled with the albatross of being embarrassing and completely out of touch with America today (" no matter who much I believe in limited government.. I can not vote for a party of racists and bigots').. not to mention the basic ideals in which this country was based upon.

Sure it could happen but i lean no. The moderate part is one thing. A moderate libertarian and moderate republican are further off on FP and economic policy than the same for a republican and democrat. The democratic nominee for president is a Bush republican's wet dream for foreign policy. Dems seem like a nice home for most republicans.  Also, I don't buy that idea that donald trump is any more racist or bigoted than the slew of other candidates from both parties. Additionally I think that anyone who isn't voting for trump because of disgusting comments he's made shouldn't be voting in the first place.

thanks for the thoughts.. especially on the differences between Libertarian and Republican ideologies...I had thought they might be more akin economically but then again... it is not really an area I've fully educated myself on.. economics to be is the Genesis of the political world to me.. it puts me to sleep...thus the questions Thumbs Up

as far as Trump....  no...I don't think he is either.  Thus is the rub...  the electorate he is pandering to.. IS and they compromise about 25% of the electorate... thus a high percentage of the Republican Party.

Trump will disappear.. they will not... so what becomes of them... and the Party... that is where historical examples fail.  You have had Parties out of lockstep with the prevailing winds of the times..and they evolved... never before have you had such a disconnect between the moderate Party establishment and its very un-moderate ..call them extreme.. I do...  core base. That is the civil war in the party that has NO historical precedence... who will win that... do you really think Christian Fundies and bigots, racists and the white supremacists will move LEFT.  No... I don't...Smile The Republican Party has known they have to move left and evolve to remain viable in a changing America.. problem is.... their base.. does NOT. Do you think Fox, Talk Radio, and Breitbart .. their one stop sources for news in a biased against them world.. would actually tell them they have lost the culture war and need to move left and get with the times. HAH!  OF course not... thus this split may not right itself for many years.. and by the time they do... it simply might be too late.

Edited by micky - October 22 2016 at 08:30
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 08:20
encouraging numbers coming out of Georgia... and I called it! Thumbs Up  Polls there are now within the margin of error.. and the Democrats are rocking the early vote there... led by.. no surprise.. women.

reading of similar trends in North Carolina as well...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2016 at 14:25
something really interesting to look at...  early voting this year is expected to perhaps hit 40% of all votes cast nationwide this year. Makes you wonder about exit polling and having states be called to one candidate or the other. I'll be curious to see how quickly they are tabulated and included in states vote totals..

Especially interesting is going  back to Georgia..  they were well above the national average in 2012 (nearly 48%0.. perhaps this year well more than half of the votes there are going to be cast prior to election day.

Really cool.. still would like to see it be a national holiday (day off) but in lieu of that. Good to see early voting take hold as it has nationwide.

Edited by micky - October 22 2016 at 14:28
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2016 at 16:05
looks like even Hillary is conceding the election is won...  appears to be going into full blown ignore Trump mode and going after the down ballot races and control of Congress Thumbs Up Don't think they will get the house.. but it is a fight she has to wage. However a 10-15 point victory,.. which is what polls are hinting at... not only means an electoral landslide.. it means the House is definitely in play.. we haven't had that kind of election demolition in over 30 years...
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 16:55
Numbers do look good. 5-12 points ahead, and she's had a nice breakthrough with white millennials.

And here's another example of Trump Accounting(TM) 101: cooking the books of the Grand Hyatt to get out of paying NYC was it was owed.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 17:22
a lot of factors are sort of converging to make this a real laugher of an election.  Especially if Republican turnout is lessened.. as has been feared and early voting numbers hint at...if gets 75% of the Republican vote..with 10% going Clinton.. and another 15% taking a pass on voting... he gets murdered..  as Hillary will (as again early voting is giving indication) not only get out.. but turn out a huge number of Democrats to vote. That 4-1 edge in manpower and organization matter most at this .. getting out the vote.. I sure as hell volunteered here.  taking the day off to take old betty's for a death defying high speed spins to the voting booth's in my bitchen Firebird...with Balletto di bronzo blasting full tilt. 

anyhow....what say you... is 450 a possibility LOL 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 19:15
^ It is gratifying to see the motivation and will to GOTV on the dem side.   When I was a kid you couldn't hit an excited progressive registered voter with a dead raccoon.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 23:33
The house was never realistically gunna happen, but even a big gain there is like a victory. Remember, the Tea Party has opposed pretty much every budget the GOP puts out...they've only gotten passed with Democratic help. Leaving them even less breathing room...I'll take it!

Sounds like $2.4 million has been raised for Democratic candidates since Ryan's "do you want to make Bernie head of the budget committee!?!?" comments. Apparently yes, people are pretty OK with thatLOLSmile
Not too shocking, saw from Robert Reich polls show that majorities of people in swing states support various tougher on Wall St policies, including breaking up the big banks. 
These issues really are important, and not just to young people, (hell we're not the ones that has seen our peak years/heading into retirement income trashed by the housing bubble...) Indeed, 538 has their chances of winning the Senate up even higher now. 

Some good names too, will be great to have Feingold back in, and seems Kamala Harris (who's facing off against another Democrat in the election!) is expected to win, bringing in not just a social liberal but someone who has actual prosecuting experience, especially on financial crimes. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 23:51
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ It is gratifying to see the motivation and will to GOTV on the dem side.   When I was a kid you couldn't hit an excited progressive registered voter with a dead raccoon.

The times they are a changin. 
Even in my lifetime it's amazing the shift there's been. I'll never forget days after the 2004 election, reading websites theorizing about 2008 candidates and how clearly we had no choice but to run moderate, ideally southern, red staters. The thought of a northern liberal was laughable. I can vouch personally, even most liberals waved off talk of inequality then. 

I tell ya, it all starts 2006. The Democratic wave and there was a good bit of populism behind it. Carried Obama, and continues to this day. I really thought it was dead around 2012 (thus my anger and shameful protest vote for GaryEmbarrassedCry) but it's really grown since around then. Good times aheadSmile
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 23:27
True conservative option (keep taxes low, defense spending up, slash social security) Evan McMullin has a legitimate chance to win Utah, at least according to 538. A better chance than polls indicate, at least they feel. http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/polls-may-be-underestimating-evan-mcmullins-chances-in-utah/
The state which had one of the strongest rejections of Trump is crazy conservative but also filled with very nice people. Maybe they can make this election even crazier! 
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2016 at 14:05
^ Just as I've been predicting. Also helps McMullin that Johnson is now tanking in the polls nationwide.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9495969798 146>