Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavourite King Crimson moment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 22:03
Starless' climax.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 04:49
many moments, which is why they remain such favourites...

1)  Bill Bruford guesting on my show SPACE PIRATE RADIO, quite possibly the most relaxed and fun interview on the show, at least since Robin Williamson of the INCREDIBLE STRING BAND.  I love when musicians get to be surprised when the interview isn't the typical PR crap and they can talk about what really matters to them.
His appreciation was reflected in his kindness and it can be heard in the IDs he did for the show and photos of the experience.  They're on The Melting Watchtowre site and Twit Hair accounts.  guyguden.blogspot.com & @guyguden

2)  Tony Levin's kindness matches his musicianship.  Sublime.  ( And he doesn't hate me because I played The Clams' "Close To You" to limits beyond most human endurance ).

3)  King Crimson's second show on the same night in Santa Barbara, which they felt they were pushed into doing, which they felt would be a tired disaster and was, due to that adrenaline reverse magick, the best and
most fun show of the 1985 tour.

4)  Adrian Belew, who likewise, had such courtesy that matches his musical talents.

5)  The most humble Mel Collins, backstage at Roger Waters' RADIO KAOS show at the L.A. Forum, alone,
overshadowed as Roger holds court, quietly saying "I was in some bands..."

6)  King Crimson, two nights at L.A.'s Orpheum Theatre, September & October 2014, quite simply being the best, most expertly professional and exciting group of innovative musicians operating today.  "Progressive"
in its truest and purest sense.

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 07:34
Being blown away--over and over again--by how essential Tony Levin's contributions were to their music. (1982, 83, 84 tours).
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 09:19
Soaring oboe and cornet toward the end of the song Islands.  My heart sprouts wings and glides over a misty ocean every time I hear it.

Least favorite KC moment?   Will Rogers Coliseum in Fort Worth, during the Thrak tour,  some idiot beaned Fripp with a beer bottle.    
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 13:15
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Closing my eyes in Seattle and listening to the music for over an hour ... magic ... pure magic on this last tour!

Was at that same show, but I didn't close my eyes. Mel was a special treat for sure.

Hard to choose a single moment, wish I could go favorite moment album by album. Cause I love me some Bruford gonna say those deliciously nasty cymbal sounds on the Red album, particularly from the eponymous track and One More Red Nightmare.
Bruford said in one interview that he achieved that cymbal sound on 'Nightmare using one bent in the shape of an L that he once found in the trash can of a rehearsal room. He later tried to convince a percussion company to manufacture one to that design, but they weren't interested. On an old Genesis live poster with Bruford that I have laying around somewhere, the cymbal can actually be seen on his kit.
I always thought it was a ripper of a china.........
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 14:03
The first 3 minutes of marimba/xylophone/vibraphone/glockenspiel/chimes in LTiA Pt. I
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 14:05
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Closing my eyes in Seattle and listening to the music for over an hour ... magic ... pure magic on this last tour!

Was at that same show, but I didn't close my eyes. Mel was a special treat for sure.

Hard to choose a single moment, wish I could go favorite moment album by album. Cause I love me some Bruford gonna say those deliciously nasty cymbal sounds on the Red album, particularly from the eponymous track and One More Red Nightmare.
Bruford said in one interview that he achieved that cymbal sound on 'Nightmare using one bent in the shape of an L that he once found in the trash can of a rehearsal room. He later tried to convince a percussion company to manufacture one to that design, but they weren't interested. On an old Genesis live poster with Bruford that I have laying around somewhere, the cymbal can actually be seen on his kit.
I always thought it was a ripper of a china.........
It definitely gives off a china sound but something is much different.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2016 at 16:47
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

The first 3 minutes of marimba/xylophone/vibraphone/glockenspiel/chimes in LTiA Pt. I

Not sure about the other percussion but the main sound in there is a kalimba - aka African thumb organ Wink
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2016 at 11:37
Being a lifelong fan, there are too many moments to count, but whenever Keith Tippett goes off on a freeform tangent or whenever Mel Collins sticks his signature sax in things, that's when I feel the Crimso magic most. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2016 at 13:24
First row at Projekct two : Hearing Trey hitting the strings of his Warr before the sound blast through the speakers 1/10th of a second later was pretty cool.

and that Ade grin behind the drumkit...priceless.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2016 at 07:51
Well, f**k me, this is a hard choice, so here's some of them:

1. Saxophone solo in Schizoid Man
2. Ending flute solo in C&C
3. Prince Rupert's Lament (with that soloing, which was on FIRE)
4. the ending to Islands (gets to me emotionally every time)
5. LTiAII riff
6. the ending to Fracture
7. Starless' climax
8. Adrian's vocals on Indiscipline
9. the more "noisey" parts of Sex Sleep Eat Drink Dream (when each of the instruments are in different time signatures of each other)

That's what I've got.
Progrockdude
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 17:55
Whatever that sound is that Jamie Muir produces under the words "And I thought my heart would break" in "Easy Money." You can just hear the guy's soul crumble.
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 00:25
My favorite moment is when they broke up.
Vinyl Connection View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 08:00
Having just worked through a dozen of the CDs in 'The Road to Red' for a Vinyl Connection post, I'm feeling pretty saturated with that era of KC music. But there is a lovely moment on Disc 7 where Robert Fripp exhorts the crowd to 'make King Crimson a Top 10 band'. Equal parts confidence, optimism and foolishness but you love him for it.

Edited by Vinyl Connection - April 29 2016 at 08:01
www.vinylconnection.com.au
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 09:54
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Which time, wise guy.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 10:01

Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Which time, wise guy.

Every time.

For the record, I do enjoy "The Power to Believe".
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 10:09
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Seeing Fripp on the Frippertronics tour at Tower Records in Campbell (near San Jose) July '79.  Someone handed him a pick to try, he looks at it like it's a priceless ancient artifact and says, "ah, a plectrum"...then he proceeds to play the impossible fast picking section of Fracture and all our jaws hit the ground Wink  
I too caught the Frippertronics tour in the summer of '79 at a Tower Records down the street from San Diego State University. When it came time for autographs, I handed Him an import cassette of Red and sheepishly mentioned that I'd picked it out of a cut-out bin at a now long defunct Wherehouse Records store across town for just $2.99. With the mildest look of disdain, He calmly replied, "Dear, dear." Of all the things to have said to the man, but at least I wasn't frothing at the mouth.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 10:13
Moment? There is one place in "21st Century Schizoid Man" when the whole band plays a fast 12-bar hard bop at the same time. It's prog in a nutshell.
Seventh Arrow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 21:43
One moment that stands out to me is when I first listened to "Trio" from SABB. I'm not good at transcribing, but I want to try and figure out what makes that piece so beautiful...maybe it's the chords. The unusual instrumentation helps too, I think...it seems to be bass guitar, violin, and mellotron.
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 22:03

I too caught the Frippertronics tour in the summer of '79 at a Tower Records down the street from San Diego State University. When it came time for autographs, I handed Him an import cassette of Red and sheepishly mentioned that I'd picked it out of a cut-out bin at a now long defunct Wherehouse Records store across town for just $2.99. With the mildest look of disdain, He calmly replied, "Dear, dear." Of all the things to have said to the man, but at least I wasn't frothing at the mouth.

A guy I knew who was there always told the story of how he tried to get Fripp to autograph a program from the Fillmore East 1969, which he was so proud of, and Fripp handed it back, saying "I don't sign books." My friend always hated Fripp after that! (Me, I've always hated that I didn't know about that appearance, as I lived practically just down the road at the time and would have been there in a flash if I'd gotten word of it.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>