Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2016 NFL Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2016 at 11:54
I can't imagine that Sanchez is anything but plan Z for the Broncos. He was able to make it to AFC championships with similar teams on defense so maybe he could do something; especially since the Denver O skill pieces are much better than what the Jets had. Though I think Sanchez is kinda different after his shoulder injury. He just doesn't throw outside the hash anymore. Can't really have success doing that.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 23:43
I have no doubt that is the case. We all knew Peyton was retiring but after Brock jumped ship, and who could blame him for getting that contract based of his play...and failing to score Kaep (though of course he'd be a disaster) they must've been desperate. 

He could be fine, but he could flub. Regardless I don't forsee him being anything more than fine, but Denver won a SB with a full season of less than fine QB play so who knows. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 18:58
Several new rules passed today (and yesterday). My computer is being a penis so I can't copy the link...but I swear it happened.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 16:30
The 2016 draft will be kicking off in just over 24 hours. Anyone care to make predictions (or express hope) for their teams take this year??

How does out resident eagles fan(s?) feel about the trade up to #2? How does out resident the-rams-are-my-number-two-team feel about the trade up to #1?
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 19:45
All I can hope for is the Giants draft is to continue to address needs
I am worried because in recent years they've been a lot more towards the "best available" strategy, but considering how many games we were in...just to have the defense blow it I hope they focus on defense and O line. 
Weapons are great but we need the core...Eli can work ODB and a bunch of #3 WRs
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 21:10
Agreed. Though I would be happy if they take Elliot, if he falls to 10.

But LB and DE should be top priorities IMO. DT is supposedly deep this year, so perhaps get a bargain in the 3rd or 4th round.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 21:22
True, would be darn hard to say no but as we know, a crud O line will make a great back crud. 
For now, all we have that I am confident in is Richburg and Pugh. Flowers may develop, but that's a may...can always go either way. John Jerry has been a flop and Newhouse, oh godDead So I'm nervous. 

Yeah, would be nice to finally have a good LB again, and DE is deff a need. 
At least we have some OK LBs. He got hurt, but I remember that Unga was solid. Pass rush has to be the focus. 

Edited by JJLehto - April 27 2016 at 21:23
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 22:01
I problem I see at LB is lack of speed. Gmen have lots of bodies but they don't get after the ball, and obviously tackling ability is fluctuating at best. Could use a stud middle linebacker as well....Unga's young so juries still out for me.

You're higher on Pugh than I, although in fairness he has played approx. 14 different positions on the line in the past 3 years. I like Flowers, I think he'll develop...being a rookie thrown into the left tackle position is never a recipe for success, but I thought he played as solid as he could (don't have stats to back that up...just eye test). Biggest problem I recall was holding penalties, but that can (hopefully) be coached away/go with experience. That said if Stanly or somehow Tunsil is there, absolutely fine with that pick.

The thing about Elliot for me is...when was the last time the giants really had a dominant back that could handle all three phases on a consistent level?? Would be Tiki, and that was a decade ago. If Elliot pans out as expected (always an if admittedly) then some pressure will be taken off the passing game/Odell and hopefully make teams respect the play action (which teams shouldn't have done with the giants for several years).

Of course, as usual, it all depends what happens above them...it just seems like they will have some good options and will be interesting to see what JR values.

Edited by Man With Hat - April 27 2016 at 22:02
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 07:38
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

The 2016 draft will be kicking off in just over 24 hours. Anyone care to make predictions (or express hope) for their teams take this year??

How does out resident eagles fan(s?) feel about the trade up to #2? How does out resident the-rams-are-my-number-two-team feel about the trade up to #1?

The Rams big trade made more sense than the Eagles big trade.  The Rams made the good trade deal for a bunch of picks a few years ago with Washington (RG3) and left them in a position to make the plunge this year...believe this is Fisher's last gasp to get over the top with the Rams, so he had nothing to lose.

The Eagles one a little bit of a surprise to me, since they still have Bradford (now whining) and I think they also signed Chase Daniel.  It is assumed they will draft Wentz as the Rams appear to be drafting Goff, I think both are not worth this much of a trade, but you never know anymore.  The Browns won out in this deal as they never have good luck picking QBs, so may as well trade down and get more picks.

I guess my Steelers will go for a DB or Safety as we seem to always struggle in the defensive backfield.  We pick 25th in round 1.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 21:12
Well, I know nothing about this Eli Apple but 1: His name is epic. 2: I applaud the fact they went with a cornerback. 3: From Ohio State so I feel pretty good
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 22:59
Meh. Bit of a reach IMO...especially at a position that isn't the biggest need on defense.

I'll go on record to say they should of took Tunsil, but I assume they removed him from the board with his pot video being released.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 02:14
Yeah, I was never the biggest follower of college football while in college, since being done my knowledge has fallen to near 0 outside the few superstar names. So I pretty much rely on position and school, which I grant isn't the best wayLOL

Just glad they went defense. As I've said a defense/O line focus would make me happy. Agreed though, really gotta look to pass rusher and LB now
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2016 at 14:09
^ Yeah...and the defense is terrible, so that's the main thing that I like about it. It's just at the 10th overall pick building depth shouldn't be the focus. It should be getting an impact player.

I read somewhere online that they wanted the LB Floyd (which was taken one pick ahead of them). Could be a smokescreen, but if it was true might have sent a slight bit of panic through the warroom. Ok sure, I just don't trust JR at the moment, so perhaps I'm being unfair with that comment.

Some good players still in play. I like the LB Ragland from Alabama, as well as both DTs. Not sure who will be in play 9 picks in, but it seems the giants might have some choices to get a good impact player (not resisted to the three I mentioned above of course).
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 00:03
Or they can take another slot receiver.
At least the third round pick addressed a position of need.  
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 00:37
Was a little disappointed to see them take a WR in the 2nd round, but went safety in the 3rd so that's good. I'm sure this guy from Oklahoma will work out, with the exception of Randle...Giants seem to do well in picking WRs
Here's hoping they can get some pass rush. 

JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 01:43
Other fun:
Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg was taken by the Jets. 
Wonder if he's gunna be their long term, (or even short) answer. 

Kid was breaking records and looked like a pro his freshman year, but that was with Bill O Brien as coach and a good O line. His next 2 years he got progressively worse and fell from beloved to despised by many. IDK...I saw a pretty crud o line in front of him and a new coach who seemed to change the system for the worse.
If he's given a chance to play on the pretty darn good Jets team, we shall see!

Another interesting QB is Braxton Miller of Ohio State. Remember when the kid was a legend himself? Then an injury cost him a season, OSU won the title despite using their #2 and 3 then Miller was made a WR his last year? I see he was drafted as a WR but that'd be one crazy transition...wonder what'll become of him in the NFL?

I know a good kicker is a good thing to have but the Buccs taking a kicker in the 2nd round!? And trading up to do so!!?? Oh manLOL
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 15:53
Well, for the first time in team history that gmen did not draft an offensive nor defensive linemen. I guess this means Newhouse is here to stay. Cry they did snag a linebacker at least.

Based on need and perceived value can't give the giants a great draft grade. I'm thinking a C at this point. Here's hoping JR knows what he is going. (Or blows it so bad he is fired at season's end.)
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 15:58
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Other fun:
Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg was taken by the Jets. 
Wonder if he's gunna be their long term, (or even short) answer. 

Kid was breaking records and looked like a pro his freshman year, but that was with Bill O Brien as coach and a good O line. His next 2 years he got progressively worse and fell from beloved to despised by many. IDK...I saw a pretty crud o line in front of him and a new coach who seemed to change the system for the worse.
If he's given a chance to play on the pretty darn good Jets team, we shall see!

Another interesting QB is Braxton Miller of Ohio State. Remember when the kid was a legend himself? Then an injury cost him a season, OSU won the title despite using their #2 and 3 then Miller was made a WR his last year? I see he was drafted as a WR but that'd be one crazy transition...wonder what'll become of him in the NFL?

I know a good kicker is a good thing to have but the Buccs taking a kicker in the 2nd round!? And trading up to do so!!?? Oh manLOL

I kinda like Hackenburg. Sure he plummeted quite impressively, but I can't imagine the promise and skill he showed in his first season just vanished completely. Lets see if the jets are the right team for him.

Miller was drafted as a WR. so I assume he will try and learn the position. If nothing else he can be used for receiver throws and an emergency QB option if it all goes to hell again for the Texans.

And love the aggressiveness for a kicker. Tongue But no...that was probably unneeded. My guess is they thought NE would draft him (as it seems like a very NE thing to do) and wanted to get in front of them. We shall see if it turns out well. He was quite a beast in college.

Speaking of QBs...the raiders trading up to select Connor Cook?! This seems like a slight misstep in a pretty good draft overall for them (at least the early rounds...no idea who else they picked today).
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 08:17
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Was a little disappointed to see them take a WR in the 2nd round, but went safety in the 3rd so that's good. I'm sure this guy from Oklahoma will work out, with the exception of Randle...Giants seem to do well in picking WRs
Here's hoping they can get some pass rush. 

Dude that WR is a stud and you have one worthwhile skill player on your offense. I think you should be megahyped.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Plankowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 10:32
Here's an interesting draft report from Brett on Hackenberg

His OL was absolutely dismal .. I have hopes for him.

Edited by Plankowner - June 26 2016 at 10:32
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>