Topic Closed2016 NFL Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 12:02
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Was a little disappointed to see them take a WR in the 2nd round, but went safety in the 3rd so that's good. I'm sure this guy from Oklahoma will work out, with the exception of Randle...Giants seem to do well in picking WRs
Here's hoping they can get some pass rush. 

Dude that WR is a stud and you have one worthwhile skill player on your offense. I think you should be megahyped.

Oh its more that I know nothing of college football. I used to follow it/know more a bit when I was going but since graduating....if you're not one of the TOP names that gets like national attention, I have no idea who anyone is. Never heard of Odell Beckham beforeLOL So that's all. Hey we need another WR outside ODB so if he turns out to be a stud, I'll be elated. 
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 12:06
Originally posted by Plankowner Plankowner wrote:

Here's an interesting draft report from Brett on Hackenberg

His OL was absolutely dismal .. I have hopes for him.

Yeah his freshman year at Penn State he was setting records, looked like a legit pocket QB with confidence, poise, and I believe was #2 or 3 in the nation on deep balls. 
He had a great o line and a pretty darn good coach in someone named Bill O Brien that was from some team called the NE PatriotsLOL

His O line deff went to crap after, (fun fact in a game against Temple one play made our FB pages where two d-linemen managed to get through our line of 5 and sack Hackenberg...) and our play calling went to crap as well after O Brien. Very predictable, stale, plays were often not well designed even and he didnt seem to utilize our players well, but instead force schemes on them. 

Shame what it did to Hack
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2016 at 00:06
BUMP

Pre season is on. Doesn't mean a thing to me except that real football is around the corner!

I've heard alot of mockery at the idea of Sanchez leading the Broncos, how terrible they'll be etc etc
I can't believe how blinded by QBs we truly are. Has everyone forgotten/ignored Peyton was garbage the entire season? Got dragged to a title by that elite defense, strong run game and dual WR threat. 
Thomas and Sanders, CJ Anderson are still there.  
Von Miller, Ware, Talib, Harris most of the defense is still there. 

Sanchez may do fine. While he needs the perfect set up, we've seen he can be competent when given this. He's the worst pressure passer ever....literally one defender closing the pocket makes him fall apart so I think that may doom him, but really the Broncos may be quite fine. Sanchez, with this team, can't be as bad as Peyton. 

I'm pretty much purely "wait and see" on my Giants. We all know the offense will be fine, it's all on whether the never ending disaster of defense and O line can be solved. 
The addition of Jenkins, Harrison and Vernon has to shore up our d line and secondary a bit. DRC was a long bright spot, if Jenkins can play well, (let's see what Eli Apple does) secondary may be OK. 
JPP played as well as one could expect from a guy who now has 8.5 fingers, fell totally out of playing shape and missed half the season. We shall see if he can improve at all. My guess is a bit but putting little stock into him.

O line has me gravely concerned. Beatty was injury prone but a stud, with him gone our tackles are now forced to be Flowers and Newhouse. I will give Flowers botd of being of a RT thrust into starting LT, and hope he develops. Newhouse is awful. John Jerry, total garbage. Pugh and Richburg, very good. 
So I have faith in 2/5. Possibly we can get 3 good ones this year. This is at best though, 3 out of 5 with two utter trash. Oi...

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 07:30
Its about to begin!

Interesting trades and pickups yesterday, Bradford to the Vikings (tough break for them and Bridgewater).  Sanchez cut by Broncos and signs with the Cowboys as backup for now.

Picks for playoffs in no particular order:
AFC
Steelers Big smile
Patriots
Colts
Chiefs
Bengals
Broncos or Jags?

NFC
Redskins
Packers
Panthers
Seahawks
Cardinals
Vikings (still give them a shot)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 13:15

What they gave up for Bradford indicates to me that Tteddy Bs injury might be more severe than reported.

Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2016 at 13:18

BUMP

Pre season is on. Doesn't mean a thing to me except that real football is around the corner!

I've heard alot of mockery at the idea of Sanchez leading the Broncos, how terrible they'll be etc etc
I can't believe how blinded by QBs we truly are. Has everyone forgotten/ignored Peyton was garbage the entire season? Got dragged to a title by that elite defense, strong run game and dual WR threat. 
Thomas and Sanders, CJ Anderson are still there.  
Von Miller, Ware, Talib, Harris most of the defense is still there. 

Sanchez may do fine. While he needs the perfect set up, we've seen he can be competent when given this. He's the worst pressure passer ever....literally one defender closing the pocket makes him fall apart so I think that may doom him, but really the Broncos may be quite fine. Sanchez, with this team, can't be as bad as Peyton. 

I'm pretty much purely "wait and see" on my Giants. We all know the offense will be fine, it's all on whether the never ending disaster of defense and O line can be solved. 
The addition of Jenkins, Harrison and Vernon has to shore up our d line and secondary a bit. DRC was a long bright spot, if Jenkins can play well, (let's see what Eli Apple does) secondary may be OK. 
JPP played as well as one could expect from a guy who now has 8.5 fingers, fell totally out of playing shape and missed half the season. We shall see if he can improve at all. My guess is a bit but putting little stock into him.

O line has me gravely concerned. Beatty was injury prone but a stud, with him gone our tackles are now forced to be Flowers and Newhouse. I will give Flowers botd of being of a RT thrust into starting LT, and hope he develops. Newhouse is awful. John Jerry, total garbage. Pugh and Richburg, very good. 
So I have faith in 2/5. Possibly we can get 3 good ones this year. This is at best though, 3 out of 5 with two utter trash. Oi...

Ol buttfumble didn't even make the team...I think that says alot about how bad he wwould've been.

Also...the NFC east will be interesting this year, yet again, thanks to ineptitude. No idea who to call it with, but these are the conditions were theredskins usually make the playoffs.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 14:34
Well, being hours away from kickoff I suppose I can't delay making predictions now.

In order:

NFC:
Packers
Cardinals
Panthers
Giants
Seahawks
Buccaneers

AFC:
Steelers
Patriots
Colts
Raiders
Texans
Bengals

Attempts to save face: Both the NFC east and AFC  west are wide open imo. The east, strictly for ineptitude. I hestitate to call for a giants win, and this is typically the type of environment that leads to the redskins getting the division crown, but I can't put in all the same teams from last year... The west...compelling arguments can be made for each team to win the division or finish 6-10 (or worse). I'll gamble on upside this year.

The last wildcard spots should be fun in both divisions. No one really stands out as a favorite in my eye. I'll give it tov upside in the NFC and the ol' stalwarts in the AFC. (Though part of me wanted to put the jags in there...I suspect they are a year away)

Looking forward to 2016,.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 16:13
I've seen Lions' predictions as bold as 12 and 4 and as bad as 3 and 13.  Being the optimistic pessimist that I am 4 and 12 sounds about right to me.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 17:39
lol 12-4?! You think people would be more realistic about the lions...
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2016 at 21:44
Well, this game is going to show that with a good team, you really don't need a stud QB (though Peyton's garbage season last year should've already been proof of that!)
Denver currently up, being led by someone who hasn't thrown one pass in regulation and wasn't even a full time starter in college!

Doubt it'll be quite the same crushing level as last year, but that Denver D is mostly intact, solid backs and offensive weapons. I fully expect this team to be a playoff contender regardless of who plays QB. 

As for the Lions...well 12-4 is a bit nutty LOL but there's still Stafford, some solid albeit unspectacular WRs, defense may be a huge ? but I don't know...I wanna say it reminds me of the Giants how Eli and the whole team improved and improved as key players left. Always felt he was too dependent on Plax and he stepped up once that easy target was removed. Then again, this is Detroit lol Perhaps 6 wins?
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 08:17
Heck of a first game of the season...the new Bronco QB did not look bad.

^I have heard mixed expectations of the Lions via the talking heads, a couple have predicted playoffs...don't know about 12-4 though Big smile.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 08:26
Panthers blew it.  Cam disappeared in the second half.  Kudos to the Broncos D, though, once again.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 19:53
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Panthers blew it.  Cam disappeared in the second half.  Kudos to the Broncos D, though, once again.

I doubt anybody would play well after taking four shots to the head.  Ouch
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2016 at 00:53

I was gunna say, some credit must be given to Denver. 

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I doubt anybody would play well after taking four shots to the head.  Ouch

I will say, it is kind of amazing how inconsistent the NFL still is. Despite the crackdown on safety, head hits, and the backlash that came from fans over how inconsistent rules have been....if what happened to Cam happened to Brady let's say, the whole Broncos defense would be expelledLOL I get it's the human element that can never be truly eliminated, but the penalties I see called for roughing up QBs, WRs etc etc than some sh*t that goes by unpenalized...boggles my mind. 

Anywho excited and nervous about the Giants/Cowboys game. I have 0 idea what to expect. Same with the whole NFC east honestly. Dallas should be the team to beat, but the QB situation now makes em a ? Philly I find it hard to see much success from. I wanna say it'll be between the Giants and Skins. 
We were a collective few minutes away from a 10/11 win season....with the Giants' defensive upgrades, some more weapons on offense I wanna say they are not far off from a very successful season. 

Or they will go 6/7 wins again and look like garbage. I really dont know anymore LOL
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 16:27
Well, looks like Jim Caldwell's mentality of starting out super aggressive/fast then coming to a halt is in full effect.  Had a 21-3 lead, now 21-18. Unhappy

Edited by MillsLayne - September 11 2016 at 16:30
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 18:52
GIANTS! 
I suppose not the best way to win. but I'll sure as hell take it. 

Some very positive signs: Eli looked very good. Not that I had much concern, but ya know first game rust... 
Cruuuuuuuz is back! 
Shepard with a touchdown. 

If Cruz can return to even 80% of his old self, and Shepard is as good as many think, in addition to ODB this offense could be nasty. 
The run game was shockingly pretty decent. Not getting hopes up after 1 game though. 

Given Dallas' line is elite, Im happy with how they played the run, secondary made some stops. All I can say is a pretty solid game, and I'm optimistic. If Shepard develops and Cruz can be solid, I have some high hopes, though really need that defense to prove the offseason $ was worth it!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 22:33
Lions tried like hell to lose it late again, but Matthew Stafford was not going to be denied, and happily, Matt Prater redeemed himself by kicking the game winner!  I hate blowing big leads, but they are starting to show some poise in these tight matchups.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2016 at 23:34
Yeah, it's obviously never good but I always will take the team that can, regularly, prove it's capable of winning tight/ugly games or in not ideal conditions, than the machines that stomp opponents by 30. 
Exception of course the Pats, who never blow it, never falter, do everything right lol 

Speaking of...I've made the claim in the past, while totally admitting Brady is good, that he is largely a system QB (kudos to Bill much as I hate him for creating this nebulous, always perfect running system). I felt a bit vindicated after Matt Cassel, and now again. I know there was a missed FG but just ugh, do they ever lose? LOL

Yeah, I think I said the loss of Calvin could (could) be a plus for the Lions...kind of remove the safety net, and force everyone to step up, much like what happened with the loss of Tiki and Shockey for the Giants. Stafford seems to have developed from a "lob it to CJ" to legit QB

Oh and talks of Drew Brees' demise have been greatly exaggerated. 423, 4/0. Shame the defense still sucks. 

Speaking of, anyone think this is the year Clowney finally breaks out? If so, with Watt and Mercilus....god damn

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 01:50
^I think tonight with Arizona/New England, it was a combo of great play by the Pats, but also Arizona just never really looked that good, never comfortable.  NE controlled that game from the start.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2016 at 08:14

Speaking of...I've made the claim in the past, while totally admitting Brady is good, that he is largely a system QB 

This is pretty much the definition of "damning with faint praise".

You're wrong, of course, but there's nothing I can say to change your mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>