FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLearning about music industry - the essentials

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learning about music industry - the essentials
    Posted: March 08 2016 at 19:52
I'm going back to Reno, NV (since things did not work out here in Port Orange, FL), and I'm seriously thinking about starting a project of my own (solo or band) and get into the music industry. I see no other path, quite honestly (I'm single-minded that way, unfortunately); I have very specific goals. That is why I resolved to be more dedicated and organized and change my habits. In fact, when I'm done writing (God knows when), recording, mixing (and maybe even mastering the songs) for something like an EP, I'll give you guys a little taste of the product because I really need us much feedback as possible.

For the past few days I've been doing intensive research on the music industry, and I feel like I don't know nearly enough about booking shows, affordable and reliable equipment,management, PR rep, etc.

What I'm asking is this: is there a place where they teach you the works? What is the least every start-up artist should know about recording, mastering, marketing, distribution, promotion, and gigging? Do you really have to do all the heavy lifting? (I just want to make sure I don't do too much?) Is coming to workshops and taking marketing classes really necessary? What is the most effective way of becoming a part of the indie music community (artists/listeners) worldwide? Soundcloud? Should I come up with a reasonable business model or let someone else do it? Will gigging around your local town be worth it even if the people there don't get your music? (If someone who hasn't heard my work may think it's good, I don't want to be discouraged by the lack of good response from the people who have.) I figured that in order for music to sell, it should somehow evoke human interest. (Don't people pay for skill and originality/personality/imagination?)

It looks like I'm only skimming the surface at this point. 

I felt that instead of doing research on the Web and getting info that way, some of which might be dubious, I should discuss this complex matter with a real, live person (like a producer, whenever those people have the time for a 25-year-old fresh face). I figured that I've wasted much of my youth (some ten years), albeit you may tell me that's no big deal, so at this point I'm playing catch-up, compensating for the time lost. I feel that also puts me at a disadvantage of not being well-conditioned and resourceful enough; I have no serious musical education (I taught myself); I'm in debt (though I have a way of coming up with a couple of thousand in a few months); the Reno music scene is rich with punk, metal, and dad-rock acts*, not experimental/folk/post-rock/avant acts; I don't have a voice (I guess I'll have to pay for a vocal class in college or get a permanent singer); and I have no connections.

By the way, if you give me tons of information in massive paragraphs, I will absorb it. (There is do, there is no try.) If not, then at least point me in the right direction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Are people really that interested in hearing new music? I guess it depends on where you perform and get some reaction. I thought social media could help me break those geographical boundaries.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 08 2016 at 20:10
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2016 at 20:07
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

What I'm asking is this: is there a place where they teach you the works? What is the least every start-up artist should know about recording, mastering, marketing, distribution, promotion, and gigging? Do you really have to do all the heavy lifting? (I just want to make sure I don't do too much?) Is coming to workshops and taking marketing classes really necessary? What is the most effective way of becoming a part of the indie music community (artists/listeners) worldwide? Soundcloud? Should I come up with a reasonable business model or let someone else do it? Will gigging around your local town be worth it even if the people there don't get your music? (If someone who hasn't heard my work may think it's good, I don't want to be discouraged by the lack of good response from the people who have.) I figured that in order for music to sell, it should somehow evoke human interest. (Don't people pay for skill and originality/personality/imagination?)

As I imagine you know, it's a long haul no matter what stratagems you use.  Look at someone like Lady Gaga; brilliant and unique and yet she gigged in NY for years, finally getting some regular bookings where a fanbase could develop.

A place that teaches you the works?  No not really, but there are places like Musicians' Institute in L.A. that instruct on the business end of music as much as the technical one - -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicians_Institute

I attended it for the standard year course and though I never became a successful musician, I did become a very accomplished one, and M.I. helped with that.  Hell just living in Los Angeles for a year was educational.  Horrible, but educational.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2016 at 20:14
^ I figured L.A. must be nice: Julia Holter, Harold Budd, Steely Dan, high crime, and pollution.

Joking aside, that means travel, food, shelter, and tuition and fees. Man. I may have to spend a year or two ($810/month might not be nearly enough) without thinking that I'm wasting time. I actually know a guy who is in a huge debt, but slowly paying it off, although I am wondering whether or not it's really a good idea to put yourself in such a position.

I probably should have to look for entry level jobs in music business.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 08 2016 at 20:18
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2016 at 20:20
That' may be true, sometimes it's hurry up and wait.   I mean look: if you're gonna more or less do rock, you don't necessarily have to be formally educated, in fact it's probably still frowned upon in private by some to be a "trained musician".  On the other hand, take Steve Vai who got his gig with Zappa by being exactly that: a well-trained and knowledgeable young guy who could sight read no prob and could play with others like a machine.   He was well cast as the Devil in Crossroads.

You create your own opportunities, however that manifests itself.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2016 at 22:21
This was my music industry textbook, if that helps.

DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 03:30
These questions are exactly the things I kind of worry about. I'm not nearly as far as you, but I'll follow with many interest. 
Can't give you any tips though I'm afraid...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 10:32
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

The industry is constantly changing so this book gets updated once every couple of years. With that in mind you may want to wait a month or so for the 1st revision of the 11th edition to be published.

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I'm going back to Reno, NV (since things did not work out here in Port Orange, FL), and I'm seriously thinking about starting a project of my own (solo or band) and get into the music industry. I see no other path, quite honestly (I'm single-minded that way, unfortunately); I have very specific goals. That is why I resolved to be more dedicated and organized and change my habits. In fact, when I'm done writing (God knows when), recording, mixing (and maybe even mastering the songs) for something like an EP, I'll give you guys a little taste of the product because I really need us much feedback as possible.

For the past few days I've been doing intensive research on the music industry, and I feel like I don't know nearly enough about booking shows, affordable and reliable equipment,management, PR rep, etc.

It looks like I'm only skimming the surface at this point. 

I felt that instead of doing research on the Web and getting info that way, some of which might be dubious, I should discuss this complex matter with a real, live person (like a producer, whenever those people have the time for a 25-year-old fresh face). I figured that I've wasted much of my youth (some ten years), albeit you may tell me that's no big deal, so at this point I'm playing catch-up, compensating for the time lost. I feel that also puts me at a disadvantage of not being well-conditioned and resourceful enough; I have no serious musical education (I taught myself); I'm in debt (though I have a way of coming up with a couple of thousand in a few months); the Reno music scene is rich with punk, metal, and dad-rock acts*, not experimental/folk/post-rock/avant acts; I don't have a voice (I guess I'll have to pay for a vocal class in college or get a permanent singer); and I have no connections.

By the way, if you give me tons of information in massive paragraphs, I will absorb it. (There is do, there is no try.) If not, then at least point me in the right direction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Are people really that interested in hearing new music? I guess it depends on where you perform and get some reaction. I thought social media could help me break those geographical boundaries.
A text book will give you a good foundation of what to do and what to expect but it cannot prepare you for what is actually out there, which from experience I can tell you is a few brief highs and an awful lot of disappointment. Fortunately because music is such an affirming medium those highs compensate for all the lows if you have the self-determination to persevere at it. And perseverance is the key here, each time you get knocked-back, let-down or ripped-off you have to pick yourself up, chalk it down to experience and move on

I'll relate my experiences as an ex-Band Manager and Gig Promoter rather than as a Recording Artist because I've never been interested in making a name for myself as an artist so I kept that side of things just as a sideline for my own amusement. While this is most definitely out-dated and bears little relevance to the current music business, I present it here as an illustration of the amount of effort needed to keep moving forward and to show that success is relative and depends upon how you measure it.

I spent six years as a Band Manager taking a group of talented teenagers from playing to 20 people in local pubs right up to the moment just before they got signed to an independent record label and played to audiences of 10,000+ around Europe. 

The thing to remember is people will only help you if there is something in it for them, for myself that was reflected-glory as I did all this for free (more of that later), bragging about this here and now is my payment. Altruism is not unknown in the music business but it is very rare - I've only met two or maybe three promoters who were not in it for themselves - I found that so disheartening I decided early on that the best way to get the band paid for gigs was to become a promoter myself - my maxim was: after the venue and the sound engineer was paid whatever door-money remained was split equally between all the bands that played. This meant that it was in the best interest of every band I booked to help promote the gig because the more people that came through the door the more each band earnt - strangely this concept was pretty much unheard of twenty years ago, many bands would expect to do nothing but turn up on the night. I also scrapped the notion of "the guest list" - anyone who got in for free had to earn their keep: either by handing out flyers before the gig, being a roadie, offering to help with transport, taking a stint on the door, manning the merch tables or just collecting the names for the mailing lists. The only exception to this was invited journalists, and then only begrudgingly.

Which brings me to the financial side of things - in the beginning one band member expected me to do all the work, after all I was The Manager and he was The Talent, and he even offered to pay me for my time. He had this strange idea that I should be working for him, something that I wasn't prepared to do. I had to carefully explain to him that the band couldn't afford to do that: 10% of their earnings wouldn't even cover my petrol costs in getting to band meetings, rehearsals and gigs, let alone pay enough to keep me interested in managing them "professionally". I told him that the only way I could afford to do this was as a hobby, and that meant sharing the workload - I would manage them but I wouldn't do everything for them. From then on he struggled to see what my incentive was to "do a good job" so he manoeuvred the band into firing me (and I gladly walked away)... 

A few weeks later I was invited to a band-meeting where they asked me to manage them again, and I told them I would but under my terms. After much 'cards on the table' discussion I asked them to chose between carrying on as they were, waiting for that elusive recording contract to drop into their laps, or putting the effort into building up a following so the industry noticed us. In doing that I had to burst a few fanciful dream-bubbles, like pointing out that many of the bands whose albums they cherished had day-jobs to support themselves.

I told them flat I wanted nothing to do with the financial side of the band - I appointed two of them as treasurers and got them to open a joint account at the bank, they had to manage every penny earnt and every penny spent with the aim of saving as much money as possible for recording and promotion - there would be no "freebies" and no dipping into the pot to pay for drinks or even for broken guitar strings. I stipulated that they could spend band money on van and PA hire only if the gig would pay enough to cover most of the cost, therefore any fuel, hotel and food expenses had to come out of our own pockets. 

So, working together we set about networking the band - collecting names and addresses (surface and email) of anyone and everyone we could get - record label execs, promoters, radio stations, magazines and ezines and most importantly of all, fans. The mailing lists I got people to collect at gigs became the central-point in our strategy in spreading the word and creating a fan-base. Since the public-face of the band was what the public saw I encouraged the band members to circulate and meet people at each gig - no hiding away in the "green room" and no prima-donna's, and after a couple of embarrassing incidents I also made it a rule that there was to be no alcohol consumed before a set and no public tantrums if anything went wrong during it. {this may seem a little draconian but the band had many self-enforced discipline "rules" before I met them, so adding a couple more was no great hardship}. I also designed T-shirts, badges, sticker and posters to promote the band and created a web-site, I organised gigs and contacted as many other bands as I could.

All we had was an early demo EP the band had recorded before I met them so I created a press-pack and sent it out to everyone I could think of. Needless to say the rejection letters started to trickle in, but I was expecting those, even back in 2000 I could see that the days of sending out poor quality demos to disinterested record labels was numbered and the internet and self-release was the way forward. Never-the-less, some band members were convinced that getting signed was the only option so we recorded another demo sent that out and waited for the inevitable rejection letters. 

After this I wanted the band to re-think their approach and concentrate on live shows, playing to larger audiences and even touring. Back then touring was a Catch 22 closed-shop, tours were organised by record labels and only featured bands signed to those labels (or their affiliates) so support-slots were nigh-on impossible to get - basically to get on the bill of similar bands to ourselves meant being signed to Peaceville/Music For Nations or Century Media and that was not going to happen until we had a grass-roots following from touring. (Later the band would support well known bands such as Paradise Lost, Haken and Threshold but only after they had become a signed band themselves - we did play a joint-headline with DragonForce before they were famous but that's another story). 

Rightly or wrongly I thought trying to play to two different audiences (Goth and Metal) was spreading our limited resources too thinly, the underground music scenes are notoriously cliquey and crossovers are viewed with suspicion, so I pushed for a move towards the Goth scene which I believed was stronger in the UK and easier to break into. At the time many of the prominent European Gothic Metal bands were transitioning from "demon and angel" vocals to cleaner vocals with female accompaniment and we were no different. As this sound was present in embryonic form on those early demos this was not so much a change in direction as a re-alignment. 

Then just as this new strategy started to pay-off the male lead singer decided that the band needed a break, something that didn't sit well with everyone else, so we parted ways with him and continued on as a female-fronted band. Fortuitously (or not) the trend for female-fronted Gothic Metal was starting to take hold so over the course of the next two years we mounted self-financed tours around England before finding ourselves in a farcical "battle of the bands" gig alongside the rather excellent but very bemused Ordinary Psycho and a couple of other bands whose names I've happily forgotten. Despite the ovation the band got from our very loyal and enthusiastic old (and newly-won) fans, behind the scenes politicking soured the final outcome of the "competition" and we walked away empty handed, much to the chagrin of our supporters who voiced their disapproval of the winners in the time-honoured way of booing. Unfortunately their reaction didn't go down too favourably and perhaps as a consequence gigs on the Goth scene seemed to be a lot harder to find after that. 

So we licked our wounds and regrouped. As we hadn't managed to shake off comparisons to bands like Nightwish, Within Temptation and Lacuna Coil we decided to capitalise on that and set our sights back to the Metal scene. To facilitate this we elected to record one more demo, and rather than settle for another 3-track EP we'd go all-out for a full album, but this time get enough made to self-release and sell at gigs and online. So we set about recording and played a reduced number of gigs to keep the fans interested.

We recorded the album in a disused cowshed on a nearby farm and in my living room, however we did book studio-time to record the drums. I was not prepared to do that in a cowshed with my DAW as I wanted to mic-up each drum individually and get the best possible sound out of them - luckily we met the drummer from indie band Reuben who was building his own recording studio and was willing to allow us studio time at a very reasonable rate. Once the drum tracks had been laid down we took them back to the cowshed and set about constructing each song with multiple tracks and overdubs of guitars, keys, voices and even a string quartet. When recording the bass guitar we discovered that the bass player kept playing something different on each take, something that he could get away with at gigs but couldn't be tolerated in the studio - then for one gig he managed to forget his bass and we had to borrow one from another band, so to reciprocate we simply "forgot" to include him in future gigs and recording sessions. Sadly after being together for six years I found all this to be an arduous and fraught process, with minor arguments over the silliest of things about the mixing, the arrangements, whether the singer should pronounce the word "been" as "bin" or "been", and even over the artwork. With too many people having an opinion of what we should be doing and how we should be doing it I was beginning to feel that this "horse" was becoming a bit of a "camel" (from the saying 'a camel is a horse designed by a committee'). Something that I expected to take a few months dragged on for almost a year and as we got close to finishing it there were grumblings that I'd made the drum sound "too proggy" and not "metal enough" so I suggested they use the some of the band's money to take the album into the professional studio we'd used to record the drums and mix it without me. Eventually we arrived at an album we were more or less happy with (though I now hated the 'clicky' drum sound) and started to hawk it around. The reaction to the album was good, if not great (though some wag did comment that since we had the best drummer in the South of England why did we use a drum machine...), but while I was proud of what we had achieved (and still am) I was burnt-out and totally disenchanted with the music business so when a group of industry professionals showed an interest in the band and the album, and were talking about starting a record label and management company solely to sign them I was somewhat relieved. So they signed on the dotted-line with my blessing and we parted as friends (and ten years later we still are). Remarkably the record label simply remastered and released the album pretty much as we recorded it, which is a testament to the quality of modern home recording equipment if used correctly. I don't know how many copies it eventually sold but on its official label release it was the 7th best selling metal album with a major UK online retailer (CDNow)... if Iron Maiden hadn't re-issued their entire back-catalogue the same week it would have been the best selling metal album, if only for a brief moment perhaps. Unfortunately it didn't sell well enough to keep the label afloat so the label folded and the new management team disappeared. Around that time the band signed the promoter of Bloodstock festivals on a pay-to-play retainer (where merch sales easily covered their costs) and got themselves on the same bill as bands like Epica and Within Temptation at several festivals in the UK and Europe.

For myself I was happy to revel in their success but not too keen on getting back into it myself, I have had a couple of requests to manage other bands since then that I have politely turned-down.

So there you have it - I have no idea how many free-hours or how much out-of-pocket expenses I donated to the cause but I know it was a hell of a lot. And I almost killed half the band when my car aquaplaned on the M25 driving back from a gig late one night and on another occasion did £1000 worth of damage to the hire van I'd just returned to the depot at 2 in the morning because I was too tired to de-ice the rear window when reversing it into the yard. But was it worth it? Hell yeah. Would I do it again, Hell no.

The bottom line here is the bit I emboldened at the beginning. There are no guarantees of anything in this business and the only true reward is the appreciation of others. When people like what you do that keeps you striving on.

Good luck. Thumbs Up

Edited by Dean - March 09 2016 at 13:57
What?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 11:57
^I'll ditto that, substituting several bands I've worked with. A very familiar tale. My suggestion, decide what your end game is. If it's to become the next Indie sensation I'd say, good luck and off you go. If on the other hand your end game is to have a successful and rewarding career in the music industry then I'd offer this...

-Become proficient and knowledgeable on whatever instrument you favour.
Multi-instrumentalist?? Focus on your main instrument and become flexible on the other ones that will support the music you want to make. There's little point in becoming a strong xylophone player if you want to make Indie music.
-Network, join clubs or organizations that support or produce music of all kinds. this is where you'll build the base for the remainder of your career.
-Listen to peoples feedback. Not everyone is going to love your music but try to keep an open mind as to why they don't if you can find out. Maybe it's just a genre thing, but then again, maybe they don't like the tonality of the guitar or the enunciation of the vocals. Can these things be adjusted without compromising the integrity  of your music.
-Join the musicians union if you haven't already and pay your dues. That should get you a pension at retirement that will always be welcome.
-Be prepared to not get where you want as fast as you want, but never give up.
-Never be afraid to walk away from a bad situation, it can do irreparable damage for a very long time and derail your whole career if you don't

There are thousands of tidbits to be garnered  from all kids of resources. With all the items you listed in your original post, it could take a lifetime of experiences to learn all the answers.

To make it more digestible maybe ask a few questions on a specific topic that your dealing with and let us help you step by step.

Remember...What's the easiest way to eat an elephant??
One bite at a time!
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2016 at 22:44
Thank you, JD, and especially you, Dean, for the words of encouragement and advice.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 10 2016 at 01:48
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 01:52
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I forgot to say: duly noted. I wonder if the book mentions anything about taking classes. I think I might have to take a loan or something and commit to slowly paying those things off.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 11 2016 at 01:53
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 04:31
Classes tend to be very specific for example "Music Business Management" courses are aimed at industry professionals so will go into great detail about every aspect of the management side of the industry (contracts & law, finance & accounting, personnel management & employment, artist development & promotion, public relations, events management etc.), but won't cover the technical or artistic side at all; "Music Production" courses are aimed at studio engineers so won't cover the business or artistic side; And creative courses (Music Theory, Song Writing, etc,) won't cover production or management. If you were studying any of these at degree level then there would be course options in the other subjects but you would be looking at 3 years full-time study there.

I suspect what you want would be a general class that covers everything without getting into the esoterica or several short-courses or workshops in each aspect. Such things exist in the UK and are relatively inexpensive (less that £200) but I couldn't find similar classes in the USA for some reason (maybe Google simply returned search results based on my location).
What?
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 06:56
Up here, in the Great White North, not only do we have a dreamy PM, we also have...

http://metalworksinstitute.com/

An independent music business education facility. A bit expensive and highly concentrated, but very well tailored for anyone wanting to become a music professional.

Or...

https://www.fanshawec.ca/programs-and-courses/program/mia2-music-industry-arts/next-year

If you want an 'established' education facility.

These are always good options.

Edited by JD - March 11 2016 at 06:57
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 02:00
^ and ^^ - I guess I'll have to start looking for options at UNR (University of Nevada, Reno) since I can't afford to lodge and travel at some other place ... like San Francisco, LA, NYC, or Las Vegas and study there at more prestigious places ... but a man can dream, right?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 12 2016 at 02:06
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 21:10
Back to you, folks, with some research I've done on the Internet (not like I know a real person in Reno who's actually been very  successful in the music business).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing before I go on: I have not yet ordered the book Polymorphia suggested as I'm currently in the process of moving to a permanent residence here in Reno, NV, which means that I can't make the mailing of merch sent to me any more complicated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It appears that there's a lot of information regarding the business, the different kinds of contracts, the different kinds of deals, etc. (See http://gov.texas.gov/music/guides/tmlp/tmlp_contracts/ .) As I understand, I have to read all of it and get all of it in order to understand what it is that I'm supposed to do and be on the right track to success. I'm 25 and, quite frankly, I'm actually worried whether or not a small indie label will sign up, say, a 30+ -year-old who is still trying after years of gigging with a band. Not sure if that's good for the image.

Moreover, recently I've been mulling over how to do business with a small label long-distance. I guess the only channels we have available are the act's website and social media.

If you'd like to know more about the research I've done on the topic, just find me on FB under my name, "Andrey Gaganov".

Stay tuned.

Comments? Thoughts?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 17 2016 at 21:17
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 21:34
The simple truth is you either want to do music always, all of the time, or you don't.   If you do, then why do anything else; If you don't, then get out now Wink .    Besides, music will always be a part of your life whether you succeed or not.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 21:37
^ Guess I'll have to keep trying for the rest of my life, if that's what it takes (regardless of my image or that of my soon-to-be band).

Edited by Dayvenkirq - March 17 2016 at 21:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2016 at 22:14
Forgot to mention: another one of my many concerns is whether a person should move to a big city and find the right people to make solid community connections there before recruiting musicians for help/collaborations and purchasing his live equipment (so as to save the time and the hassle of moving from place to place).
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 22:38

That was my book, about ten years ago.   My teacher was in the Heart spinoff band, The Love Mongers, 
and she really knew her stuff.  The book is in it's 9th edition, and you can probably get the version I had
for 1c and postage.  It's really great.
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 22:51
^ Thanks for the tip.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2016 at 15:16
^^ As luck would have it, a producer here in Reno recommended that same book. I ordered it yesterday and am supposed to get it tomorrow. In fact, I purchased two more, just to get a perspective from more than one person on that one.

Now for the updates:
 - I've started a set of social media files (as would be expected), though I don't have any demo-quality material worth putting up on them, so I'm working on that. I have refrains for some songs ready because if you don't have a refrain, you may not have a song. Sort of a conventional songwriting rule.
 - I've signed up for a vocal class that is a five-week package. One class per week at the date and time of my choice (Sat., 100pm), five consecutive weeks. I don't want to bother with semesters. They are longer, pricier, and not that flexible. The vocal lesson pack is $299 + tax. I've also purchased a mic, a mic stand, a mic cable, a set of studio monitors, the 1/4" TRS cables for the stereo output to the monitors, and a pair of headphones. (I already had an interface and USB for powering it up.) The equipment altogether is $475 and a change + tax - 5% student discount. Learning more about input/output, the different kinds of cables, frequency ranges, what's too bassy or too trebley, the hissing reduction process, and ... well, there's more to learn for me. Most of the stuff is Yamaha-brand. And I'm still sticking with Audacity.
 - I've already recorded my first song, "The Emerald Bell", but the style of it is just not me. (Too much information from Nick Cave on that one. Too punky and not sufficiently melodic. And the vox are just crap.) That is why I'm not divulging the name I'm going by on SoundCloud ... yet.
 - I'm planning on moving to Los Angeles in 12 months (or more). My mother has gone away for Newport Beach, CA to get some training in cosmetics sales, and she says that there are many people there who complain that it's really expensive to live there. Like that's gonna scare me somehow.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - April 07 2016 at 15:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>