FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed2016 MLB Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 07:10
The Red Sox now atop the Division.  This series against the Blue Jays may well define the season.  Fingers crossed, and at least now it's an AL rival Big Papi doesn't have to sit it out.  Porcello on the mound tonight is cause for confidence although it's at Fenway he's been at his best.

The bullpen has indeed been shaky, and the fact that Buchholz is now back in the starting rotation weakens it further.  I'm a big fan of Kimbrell though.  Could do with all the starters taking it to the 9th, then bring in Kimbrell LOL.  In the postseason it could be a 4-man rotation so Buchholz may then provide more stability for the pen.  He has really come back strongly lately after an awful start to the season, kudos to him.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 07:14
Also, the Mets rennaissance after that horrendous post-ASB run has been nothing short of amazin'.  It's incredible how much better your pitchers do (even rookies) if you give them some run support.  I'm really hoping they can make it into the postseason.  The worry is if they come up against the Giants (ie Bumgarner) in the Wild Card game it won't last too long!!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 08:12
^Bumgarner can be a beast!

Looks like the Pirates are back to their .500 average again after a couple of hopeful years...
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2016 at 10:51
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'm game! you'll likely make it. Unless you have another swoon like you had around the allstar break. Admit it... you were worried... they don't call it a curse for anything.. they will rip your heart out.

The Cubs will likely make it, but I don't think they'll make it to the W.S. The have a hundred year script to keep to in teasing fans.  However they have a far more important problem.  Don't like their starting pitching...peaked early..

I'm still sticking with the class of the N.L. Top to bottom. Offense, pitching and defense.  The Nats... they roll out multiple aces that have pitched well all season... and the offense.  Doing quite well even with Bryce in the tank.. and he's too good to stay there forever.

Forget the N.L. though...  let's talk Orioles.  Should Buck win manager of the year again... I don't know how he does it... talk about poor starting pitching.. but that offense.. and that bullpen. 

Secretly hoping for a Nat's -O's Series... that would be the sh*t...

Hows that Cub starting pitching doing for you now ? What about that Cub defense?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2016 at 18:03
Mickey? Must be asleep.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 02:13
The good news after last night's AL WC result is we now get to see Texas and Toronto face off.  As we know this can get spicy.  Tonight's WC should be a great game.  I'm reckoning Bumgarner will be the key.  If he is in usual October form I'm afraid the Mets will be out.  Madbum pretty much won the WS series single-handed for the Giants in 2014.

The Cubs have been the most consistent team throughout the regular season but now it's a fresh start for everybody.  The pressure of that 100 year history must weigh heavy....

Who's going to win the whole thing folks?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 08:54
We shall see soon.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2016 at 09:16
I'm very disappointed that my Tigers couldn't get it up when it counted.  They were good enough to win it all...but not good enough to beat the Atlanta Braves.  A very frustrating season ending in a very frustrating manner.  But in the same manner as the whole season had gone.  Trailing 5 to 2 in the 7th (8th?) inning the Tigers had the bases loaded, nobody out, and Miguel Cabrera at the plate.  This should translate into the Tigers leading 6 to 5, but instead the mighty Miggy struck out and then J.D. Martinez bounced into a double play.  No runs scored.  Bases loaded and nobody out was the Tigers' bane this year.  This was their number one rally killer all season long.  They rarely scored any runs in this situation, and most of the time when they did it was because the opposing pitcher walked a hitter, through a wild pitch, or hit a batter, or Miggy would ground into a double play to get one run home.  Miggy was 2 for 17 with the bases loaded this year with 5 RBIs.  How in the world can the greatest right handed hitter be that bad in that situation???  The rest of the team wasn't much better. 

And then you have the last game of the year where Justin Verlander gave up 1 run in the 1st inning and somehow you knew that the game was over because he rarely got any run support.  Sure enough the game ended 1 to 0. 

It is hard to feel sorry for the Tigers, as their payroll has made them almost as unlikable as the Yank mes.  If they weren't my home team I would probably be laughing and pointing fingers at how funny it is that they couldn't beat a team like the Cleveland Indians who had less than half of their payroll.  But damn it, they are my home team and I would really like to see them win the World Series again in my life time.  I was 14 when they won the last time in 1984.  It has now been 32 years and I have to begin to wonder if they will be the next Cubs.  Afterall, the Lions haven't won in 59 years and counting. 
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2016 at 05:52
You'd expect the Cubs to prevail from here as they have the best all-round team - hitting, pitching, defense and bullpen, they have it all.  Now if the Giants could pitch Bumgarner every game things would be different!  I know they have the experience having been all the way before, but their bats have been pretty quiet and they'll need to wake up if they are to go through.  I hope they do.  Now the Mets are gone, the Giants are my NL Team.

In the AL I'll of course be rooting for the Red Sox big time.  Not the best start to the series last night, Porcello always pitches better at Fenway.  Just hoping Price can prove his critics wrong and win tonight (I'll be watching) though it'll be tough against Kluber.  Then it's Buchholz on the mound for game 3.  He's been great lately but always susceptible to a lapse and the last thing I want is him pitching at 0-2 down.

Four games tonight, you guys on that side of the pond are truly spoilt.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 09:28
Cubs play a great one. Great pitching, great defense and clutch hitting.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 09:37
pisser that my O's went out.. .but at least they did to a monster of a team... and the likely W.S winner.

much too late predictions.

Giants in 5 - you better believe Bumgartner is going to pitch twice .. and will in a deciding game 5. The Cubs are good, but inexperience and with a lot of pressure, the Giants experienced and have been fighting for the entire season, not on cruise control like the Cubs have been. Look it up.. how many #1 seeds have been taken out by W.C teams that had to fight to get in as opposed to coasting the the finish. Best team doesn't aways win.. and in baseball that might apply the most. It is all about momentum.

Dodgers in 4 - The Nats were the most compete team in the majors, pitching (3 aces), defense, and batting  till the injury bug hit them late.

Jays in 3 - would have said in 4 prior to the start.. best team in the majors. That lineup is fearsome.

Indians in 4 - would have said Sox in 5 prior... like many I though last year was the Indians year.

Giants in 6 to advance to the W.S.  Talent and experience, plus the even year boon equals another trip to the series.

Jays in 5 to advance

W.S.  Jays in 7 in a classic...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 10:10
Micky, I reckon if Bochy asked him Bumgarner would say he's good to go tonight!! My worry for the Giants is the Cubs are now into the soft white underbelly (always been a big BOC fan ) of the Giants pitching staff - the Shark and Moore are way below the level of Madbum and Cueto. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Pretty much in agreement with the rest of your calls there.

Edited by Roj - October 08 2016 at 10:11
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 10:28
^Good luck to you both, not. Maybe Bum can pitch all of the games.

Edited by timothy leary - October 08 2016 at 10:34
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2016 at 18:05
Defense

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2016 at 10:33
I think Mickey does not know who to root for. Not long ago the nats were supposedly his choice. Now he has moved on to the giants. What's next.....the dodgers?

Edited by timothy leary - October 09 2016 at 10:42
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2016 at 10:45
my rooting interests began and ended with my beloved O's. I'll follow it, but with little interest. Hockey season is right around the corner man.. thus my annual experience of having my heart ripped out.  You should know the feeling... they tease you and tease you.. then fall just short...

Until half their pitching staff... along with several allstars went down for injury late I saw.. as many did.. the Nationals were the most complete team in the majors.. thus were my pick. It was a team that only got better from the one many thought would win 130 games last year before injuries and everyone BUT Harper had career worst years hahah. There are no excuses ... no accounting for injuries.. everyone has them...but talent wise... no team was more stacked than the Nationals. It was a good pick.. will be again next year I suppose.

now going with the next most complete, experienced.. and ohhh.. hottest team left.

Jays to win wS was my pick...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2016 at 10:55
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2668450-cubs-proving-to-be-not-just-the-best-but-deepest-team-in-baseball
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2016 at 11:51
The Jays offense isn't nearly as potent as last year but the starting pitching is much better. The Red Sox are like the Jays of last year with an offense that scares the hell out of me. That final weekend series between the Jays and Red Sox stressed me out so much because no lead by the Jays seemed safe. Almost a Murderer's Row lineup with those Boston hitters. But hey they say good pitching is what wins in the playoffs so I'm pretty excited about Toronto's chances this year. 
For what it's worth I think the best thing that happened to Bautista was getting punched in the face by Odor. At the time I loved it and felt it was well deserved. I do think it humbled him somewhat. The arrogance on this team bothered me last year and while it's still there I don't think it's nearly as prominent or ugly. 
I'll be surprised if the Cubs make it as the National league representitive in the World series despite how well they did in the regular season. Although I can't see the Nationals or Dodgers being that team either. Yes I thought when the Giants won the wild card game that they'd go all the way. It's not over yet though.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 00:44
The Giants are tough.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2016 at 06:17
Congrats to the Indians. They were clearly the better team

I had reservations about my Red Sox all year. They got hot at just the right time in order to lock up the division but it's pretty clear they didn't have the horses to compete. Their vaunted offense disappeared when they needed it the most and the starting pitching was horrendous. Bullpen was good but it's hard to come back when you aren't hitting.

On to the Hot Stove! 

Edited by Jeffro - October 11 2016 at 06:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>