Topic ClosedRemixes / Remasters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 08:46
Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

So apparently Steven Wilson has recently (3rd March 2016) released a remaster of his 2008 solo debut Insurgentes. Yes you heard me right, a remaster (which SW apparently hates and as we all know prefers remixes) from the guy who is well know for making his albums sound crystal clear and virtually perfect. Well I have the original version and it sounds just about perfect to me, so why this is getting a remaster is a complete mystery to me. Confused    

Well it is possible it is being called a remaster because the original version is out of print, sure you can still find them new and used, but stock may be low. I suspect there is demand for more copies to be pressed. My KScope version from 2009 yea it's well done mixed album and the sound is impressive, I doubt I buy another version, its a great album but not that great to have two of them.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 03:37
Ended up with both versions of Deadwing on DVD Audio because of content difference. Not sure I'll do that again. I mean I like the album, but this was getting silly. In this case one distribution outfit wanted different content to the other release - or some such nonsense.

GreatBeyonder View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 04:24
The quality of Remasters/Remixes really doesn't have anything to do with vinyl or CDs. It's strictly an issue of human judgment. Modern producers tend to intentionally screw with the dynamic range which couldn't be manipulated with earlier technology, for truly idiotic reasons. Check out Stevie Wonder's stuff, which sounds just as gorgeous as it did in the 70s. Jethro Tull albums are also well handled. Nick Davis would have had to INTENTIONALLY butcher the Genesis remasters for them to be so compressed and unlistenable, because it really is the easiest thing in the world to just leave the DRM in the double digits and preserve the music as performed.

Edited by GreatBeyonder - March 26 2016 at 04:26
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 08:15
New music > Music I already own in shinier version

Hell I've always got a list of new stuff and 'new to me' old stuff I want to get that's as long as my arm.

The only time I'm likely to make an exception is where the existing version I've got has such poor sound that I don't listen to it. The sh*tty production on Relayer makes me think about buying the S Wilson version, for instance, though I haven't actually sprung for it.

Bonus material, it depends. Maybe we should have a thread for reissues where the bonus material is really worthwhile, but that seems to be the exception.

Edited by Mascodagama - March 26 2016 at 08:15
Vikingrat9966 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 12:15
I am trying to control my impulse buying of stuff I have had already unless I hear something really noticeable in a new mix. I just hate buying the same cd over and over and to be honest in the case of Yes and Steve Hackett the bonus material can kill the pacing of the original album. If it's something that I know will be good like In The Land Of Pink And Grey I will buy the deluxe edition for the extras. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 06:05
Originally posted by Vikingrat9966 Vikingrat9966 wrote:

I am trying to control my impulse buying of stuff I have had already unless I hear something really noticeable in a new mix. I just hate buying the same cd over and over and to be honest in the case of Yes and Steve Hackett the bonus material can kill the pacing of the original album. If it's something that I know will be good like In The Land Of Pink And Grey I will buy the deluxe edition for the extras. 

Here you go. This directly related thread.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106270&PID=5314477&#5314477

I too hate the album experience to be diminished by additions; this is why say Bowie had his bonus cuts on one version of Ziggy Stardust on another CD.

A good Caravan album with bonus material is For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night and I know Cunning Stunts was improved with the bonus cuts.

It's the reissue of a reissue that I have to take issue with. Who Sell Out and Pictures At An Exhibition spring to mind as they have different bonus material. Pictures was reissued in what seemed like a week or two of it's first reissue.

Now if all bonus material could be compiled (hey, record companies a way of making more cash) this could be useful. E.g. the Yes reissues.
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 06:03
Since I discovered "the loudness war" and noise reduction, I've sold of about 500 remastrad CDs and replaced them with original, not remastered CDs, vinyls or new editions with flats transfers. It has taken me 8 years. Remixes I don't care for much and bonus tracks most often ruins the album.

Edited by lostrom - June 01 2016 at 06:04
lostrom
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 09:07
I'm in trouble.   I have more CD's then I can listen to.   I'm burned out on remasters, bonus material, and with remixes with a few exceptions like Aqualung. 

I figure I could commiserate with you guys.   I feel guilty, because I can't listen to everything I own.  I've promised myself to buy only new masterpieces and maybe 2 lost classics per year.  Otherwise I'm a collector, rushing thru listening sessions to make it to the next CD.  I remember listening to albums in the 70's till I wore out the grooves.  Not anymore.  What a waste.    I feel like an out of control music-holic! 

Sometimes I wonder about you guys.   How many hours a day do you listen to music?  How the hell do you listen to it all?  
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 09:54
I think one curious case of a remix has to be one Frank Zappa did with Hot Rats. There are some parts in both the original and 1987 remix that I liked.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 09:55
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I'm in trouble.   I have more CD's then I can listen to.   I'm burned out on remasters, bonus material, and with remixes with a few exceptions like Aqualung. 

I figure I could commiserate with you guys.   I feel guilty, because I can't listen to everything I own.  I've promised myself to buy only new masterpieces and maybe 2 lost classics per year.  Otherwise I'm a collector, rushing thru listening sessions to make it to the next CD.  I remember listening to albums in the 70's till I wore out the grooves.  Not anymore.  What a waste.    I feel like an out of control music-holic! 

Sometimes I wonder about you guys.   How many hours a day do you listen to music?  How the hell do you listen to it all?  

You are not alone.  I have struggled with "quality" listening over the past few years as I acquired so much music that sometimes I only give it 1 or 2 listens.  Unless I really hear something that grabs me quickly then I give it more time.  I miss the days of getting 1 album and just listening to it over and over while reading the album cover and growing familiar with it.  Back then it was more about money and availability of albums, now (like everything else these days) we are just overloaded with information and everything has to be instant, including music.

To keep to the topic, I find the bonus material of remixes, remasters, deluxe releases, etc... to be not much of a bonus.  I wish more would put bonus material on a separate CD and keep the original the way it was initially released.  I don't have enough remasters vs originals to know if they are done properly or better to my ears liking.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 09:57
I bought the original Chrysalis Records CD of Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs and should never have given it up for the the remaster which was just awful sounding.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 12:46
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I bought the original Chrysalis Records CD of Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs and should never have given it up for the the remaster which was just awful sounding.
Like most remasters.
lostrom
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 16:02
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I'm in trouble.   I have more CD's then I can listen to. 

I feel guilty, because I can't listen to everything I own. 

1) Give me your CDsBig smile
2) On average I listen to about five hours of music a day
3) I can because I don't have a wife or kidsEmbarrassed
Magma America Great Make Again
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 16:57
^That's the key: don't have a nagging wife who has absolutely no appreciation for prog. I order something like Gentle Giant on Amazon, and she flips her lid when she gets the credit card statement. I don't even have a home stereo as she would definitely ask me to turn it off. Needless to say, all of my prog is heard in my vehicle (shucks).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 17:38
[[/QUOTE]

You are not alone.  I have struggled with "quality" listening over the past few years as I acquired so much music that sometimes I only give it 1 or 2 listens.  Unless I really hear something that grabs me quickly then I give it more time.  I miss the days of getting 1 album and just listening to it over and over while reading the album cover and growing familiar with it.  Back then it was more about money and availability of albums, now (like everything else these days) we are just overloaded with information and everything has to be instant, including music.

To keep to the topic, I find the bonus material of remixes, remasters, deluxe releases, etc... to be not much of a bonus.  I wish more would put bonus material on a separate CD and keep the original the way it was initially released.  I don't have enough remasters vs originals to know if they are done properly or better to my ears liking.
[/QUOTE]

I feel better already.  I'm not alone.   I have a wife, and she shares my posts and prog music.  Sometimes it's me, sometime it' her.   She's anti remaster for the most part, but she has around 20 Steven Wilson Remixes.   She's a Steven Wilson Fangirl.  
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 08:04
I did spring for the Relayer remaster. Its quieter, more detailed and quite striking how buried music is now well, there.. there particularly in Gates. This is probably the best way to release this music, the Blu Ray (must connect my one up, it sets there...) has the new album, the  old one, all the bonus material, Soon single everything related, to it on there; how ideal. The CD has some bonus but not in a way to ruin the album experience which to me is quite important. There is a version with a DD rather than Blu Ray and  - I think -  one in box or book form ala Aqualung, Passion Play etc.

90125 has a lot of bonus tracks which all happen to be relevant to the album but might drag the album out to those used to the 1983 original.

But now we have bands making very long albums whereas in the olden days it took 30 to 40 minutes before it finally ended. Now album releases area huge time investment. Space is the place (Sun Ra)... after all.
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 10:03
Dynamic Range Database provides useful information:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

Edited by terramystic - June 03 2016 at 10:04
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 10:58
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

Dynamic Range Database provides useful information:

http://dr.loudness-war.info/

True, but it doesn't always show right - the best is to open a file and look at it visually.
lostrom
RockHard View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 14:44
I'd like to throw my hat in the ring here as a remastering guru. I believe I'm producing some of the best remasters on the planet. Pay a visit my site @ http://hotrockcentralpage.proboards.com/ I have a sample before & after of an mfsl clip & my remaster on the page to give you a taste of my ability. All members that join up are entitled to listen to my library on demand however those are just 160's mp3, if you want to hear any of them in lossless I have another arrangement for that. Would like to get some critical ears to judge my work & I'm not just doing reworks in a single audio style either, I have several audio landscapes to choose from for most of the songs I do. I cover rock & blues, early 60's to present. Hope to meet some good ears. cheers all

Edited by RockHard - July 10 2016 at 21:50
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2016 at 21:01
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

A good Caravan album with bonus material is For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night and I know Cunning Stunts was improved with the bonus cuts.

The New Sinfonia .... in its redone state, complete instead of butchered by the LP, is a much more enjoyable piece and comes off even better than the LP ever did. It's a real shame that most fans of Caravan can not listen to this and realize how classically minded the work of Caravan really is, and how well if fits the orchestra medium, when some rock bands are not even worth the effort at all, as there is not enough variation in the music itself to help the music along.

Not all of the redo's are worth it ... KS's redones are worth it with the new stuff, only because a lot of that stuff was done on the private collections that almost all of us had never heard, and now the CD takes the limitation of length mostly away from these pieces. 

But in general, almost all of the rock albums I have heard "redone", are all ... not worth the effort for me, as the music is still better than the manipulation in the studio. And I think that is the problem. SW might have thought he made ITCOTCK better, as did Robert, but the feeling is not mutual ... the cleaning up of the recording is what made it OK, but the emotional content? Nothing new under the sun!

But, as a way to get a new audience to it, I'm OK with that, since just copying the old thing is a bit ... passe ... and likely to sound worse, so making a cleaner version would probably make sense. But if you ever heard the LP versions of the American and English pressings of Sgt Pepper, and all the way to DSOTM, you know right away that a remix/remaster is not necessary at all!

I kinda wonder if we can get Steven Wilson to remix/remaster Stravinsky does Stravinsky ... you think it might sound better than it already is? Heck, let's have Steven do Tebaldi and Nilsson and Leinsdorf in Turandot! Now, that would be an accomplishment!

Edited by moshkito - July 12 2016 at 00:13
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>