Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg'rs Can't Read?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog'rs Can't Read?
    Posted: March 10 2016 at 11:41
Hi,

Weird ... no comments on books ... we must be too concerned with the next song by Upalubacrapola the newest prog band! Wait a minute ... you have to actually read something, instead of listen?

Sorry ... couldn't help it!

Beer
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 12:44
Stern Smile

Edited by Dean - March 10 2016 at 12:45
What?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 12:48
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 13:19
The only book I've read in my life :

but I understood nothing so I quit reading.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 13:59
I love Dr Seuss
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 15:42
Literacy was never a strong suit for me.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2016 at 18:47
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Weird ... no comments on books ... we must be too concerned with the next song by Upalubacrapola the newest prog band! Wait a minute ... you have to actually read something, instead of listen?

Sorry ... couldn't help it!

Beer

pfff on books..  I found a stash of old Playboys in a boiler room today and gave my crew an extended lunch so we could enjoy them.

I had forgotten just how good Playboy articles were..

Great artcle by Oberman talking about how that sh*t that McGuire was taking MIGHT blow up in Baseball's face.

A great artcile raving about a new show on HBO called... The Sopranos.

Another great article warning how the digital age might be the death of the music industry as they knew it.

Oh... and by the way... Miss August 1999 was a absolute bombshell LOLLOL

books? pffff... give us music.. and our old Playboys...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 05:48
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9132
Thank you Meltdowner for posting the link to the "Read Any Good Books Lately?" thread.  I like this one as much as the one "What Are You Listening To Now?"  Good books and Good Music compliment themselves.
A different style for each subject matter.  When I want to luxuriate in the words of a book, good instrumental backgrounds are very important.  I listen to more song based material when reading lighter stuff and periodicals.  A pity more people don't regularly contribute to your linked thread.

Best to you all
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 07:38
I don't have time to read books because I was too busy writing one:

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 13:14
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

I managed to get less than halfway through this before arriving at the conclusion that  BEno is not a diarist.
What?
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 13:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I managed to get less than halfway through this before arriving at the conclusion that  BEno is not a diarist.

Seriously, the Tamm book is really interesting, just a little too much theory for my taste. You're right about the 'Swollen Appendices', haven't finished it either.
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 10:51
Playboys and alike interesting for sure.. but I never ever read any article I just watched the pics Tongue

Seriously, "A Brief History of Time", the Illustrated Edition by Stephen Hawking, 1988.

I suddenly realized a few new things about how cosmos and everything here on Earth has worked and will work, also really for the first time understand what quantum mechanics stands for, I even understand how it works, at least something of it. Higher mats at school was somewhat difficult for me to really understand. But now I see much clearly. Without QM nothing couldn´t exist in the form we can see it now. The simple pictures and drawings just explain theories (QM, gravity, time & space etc.) so that a common man can understand the basic laws of nature, and there´s absolutely nothing mystical behind anything. Hawking as a true expert (scientist) can explain the Universe, actually we are living in a multiversum. Hawking is one of very few scolars who actually understands Einstein´s thoughts and is a one of the true great minds among us. Due to his illness over the decades he has lost nearly all his physical "functions" and communicates with a help from a computer, his mind still works brilliantly. After reading the book I take very seriously his warning not to try to contact aliens. 

This little magnum opus expands everybody´s mind, not only prog(ressive) heads´. For those who truly are willing to believe in natural sciences and not to believe all the rubbish and pseudo science that fills the media. 

Edited by Son.of.Tiresias - March 13 2016 at 12:04
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 13:02
As fascinating as Playdough was in its heyday I should point out at this moment that this thread is in the "Books and Miscellaneous Reviews" lounge, which is in itself a sub-forum in the Progressive Music Lounge, so convention dictates that the topics discussed therein should revolve around the general subject matter of the parent lounge, that is: Progressive Music. Since the PA does not share Pedro's view that any musician who can fart an augmented 4th is a progressive artiste, we further narrow this restriction to Artist listed in the PA database. Harsh and dictatorial as that may be, this is the Progressive Music Archives and not Rate Your Music, IMDB or Goodreads. For those members, like myself, who like to come here and discuss non Prog and non Music topics, we have a couple of lounges specficially for that where anyone can fill their boots to their hearts content (Sadly no Playmobil section for oogling pictures of scantily-clad ladies with inflated, a-hem, self-esteem, but Google-Ads frowns on that kind of thing and M@X kinda needs that income so he can continue to provide this website for "free")

Of course articles and reviews of non-PA listed artistes will not be summarily dismissed, deleted or purposely ignored, that would be grass, trite and asinine but such miss-targeted threads stand little chance of gaining the readership the author expects simply because the readership of this forum isn't interested in the topic. The error there is not in the 55,574 members who didn't want to read it, but with the one member who thought they would, or even should. In light of that creating this whining snot-dribble of a thread blaming the readers of this forum for not reading a review of Kim Gordon's memoir, (either of which may or may not be riveting reading for all I know, or care), comes over as petty and churlish, even when presented in a light-hearted (get out of jail free) faux-apologetic way. Maybe its just me but as I see it, an insult is an insult regardless of the amount of sugar-frosting used to cover it up.

Personally since Kim Gordon is not related to Barbara Gordon and Sonic Yoof is another of those Nu Yawn bands that leave me colder (and flatter) than a witch's mammary gland then the probability of me reading the book or its review, or even wanting to read either of them, is precisely zero. 

Edited by Dean - March 12 2016 at 13:05
What?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 13:36
^ I don't read rawk recollections as a rule. The last musical biography I read was probably in the 80s: No One Here Gets Out Alive about Jim Morrison. I don't believe anyone can top that life for bizarre, drug-filled sex and rock mayhem (and the prototypical star burning the candle at both ends and in the middle simultaneously), so I avoid redundancy. I'll just stick with historical tomes or well-written fiction.

So please, let this sleepy area of the forum return to its hibernation.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 15:19
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

^ I don't read rawk recollections as a rule. The last musical biography I read was probably in the 80s: No One Here Gets Out Alive about Jim Morrison. I don't believe anyone can top that life for bizarre, drug-filled sex and rock mayhem (and the prototypical star burning the candle at both ends and in the middle simultaneously), so I avoid redundancy. I'll just stick with historical tomes or well-written fiction.

you should read "Tanz der Lemminge" by Ingeborg Schober, the biography of Amon Düül ( 1 and 2). it should in my opinion be made into a movie; lots of extremely memorable scenes

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 16:21
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Keith Moon.. pfff.. makes Morrison look a choir boy.  And best Rock bio I've ever read.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 22:01
I recall reading ....
-Shout ...on the Beatles
-No One Gets Out Of Here Alive...the Doors
-Grace Slicks auto bio
-Hammer of the Gods...Zep bio
-Bruford's bio

I think I enjoyed Slick and Bruford's books the best.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 22:18
If this was a book forum, I would write about books.

Being that it's a Prog Rock forum, I write about Prog Rock, except the times I visit the books thread.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 06:48
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

If this was a book forum, I would write about books.

Being that it's a Prog Rock forum, I write about Prog Rock, except the times I visit the books thread.

LOLThumbs Up
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 18:03

I have this book on my lists right now ... had forgotten about it.

I imagine that reading this will be tough ... sort of like reading Richard Pinhas stuff that was published in "Eurock", which, even I had a really hard time following.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>