Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Books and Miscellaneous Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg'rs Can't Read?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 18:05
(removed to another posting)

Edited by moshkito - March 14 2016 at 18:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 18:06
(sorry ... edited the post and it gave me a repeat! ... hmmm)

Edited by moshkito - March 14 2016 at 18:17
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 18:13
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I recall reading ....
-Shout ...on the Beatles
-No One Gets Out Of Here Alive...the Doors
-Grace Slicks auto bio
-Hammer of the Gods...Zep bio
-Bruford's bio

I think I enjoyed Slick and Bruford's books the best.

I liked Grace's book, though a bit on the tame side it seems ... but interesting all the same. I don't recall that she spent enough time discussing Paul and her time with him, as if it was too personal for her to discuss. In general, I still remember some funny things, like ... her not wanting to be singing when she was old, and the like. I have a book on the Airplane thing on deck.

- LedZ's book was too much a fan book for my tastes.
- Bruford's book is very good, but a very tough book to review ... I am not sure how to start, even. But I liked the book. I still had the feeling that he did not say all he wanted to say about things, though.
- Doors's book is good. I have a few too many of them, I think, making for a confusing review.
- The Beatles' books, I can not say that I have found one that was better than the others, and too many of them leave too many things out, that they did and liked and had fun with ... all of which were inspirations that appeared in bits and pieces everywhere, including bootlegs by the bushel, and no one "knows" anything about that! To me, that was the fun part that made them "people", instead of "stars".

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

^ I don't read rawk recollections as a rule. The last musical biography I read was probably in the 80s: No One Here Gets Out Alive about Jim Morrison. I don't believe anyone can top that life for bizarre, drug-filled sex and rock mayhem (and the prototypical star burning the candle at both ends and in the middle simultaneously), so I avoid redundancy. I'll just stick with historical tomes or well-written fiction.

So please, let this sleepy area of the forum return to its hibernation.

It's a great book, and I read it like 20 years ago or so, and probably need to re-visit it.

Edited by moshkito - March 14 2016 at 18:14
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 18:17
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

[QUOTE=The Dark Elf]^ I don't read rawk recollections as a rule. The last musical biography I read was probably in the 80s: No One Here Gets Out Alive about Jim Morrison. I don't believe anyone can top that life for bizarre, drug-filled sex and rock mayhem (and the prototypical star burning the candle at both ends and in the middle simultaneously), so I avoid redundancy. I'll just stick with historical tomes or well-written fiction.

So please, let this sleepy area of the forum return to its hibernation.

you should read "Tanz der Lemminge" by Ingeborg Schober, the biography of Amon Düül ( 1 and 2). it should in my opinion be made into a movie; lots of extremely memorable scenes

I would love to ... but so far have not been able to find a translation so I can read it! Total bummer, if you ask me!

Also having issues getting the Manuel Gottsching book, as the seller has a bad setup and it does not allow for foreigners to buy anything ... on top of that, he didn't return my money, and has ripped me off, although I would have gladly mailed him the difference in the 3 or 4 dollars for him to mail it to America! Poor business, and as usual, it hurts the artist more than it helps!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 18:19
Hi,

THANK YOU ALL, for posting, and it is appreciated. My post was not intended to be as serious and mal-nutritious as Dean made it sound like, but it's all good ... 
www.pedrosena.com
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 18:29
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

^ I don't read rawk recollections as a rule. The last musical biography I read was probably in the 80s: No One Here Gets Out Alive about Jim Morrison. I don't believe anyone can top that life for bizarre, drug-filled sex and rock mayhem (and the prototypical star burning the candle at both ends and in the middle simultaneously), so I avoid redundancy. <span style="line-height: 1.4;">I'll just stick with historical tomes</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;"> or well-written fiction.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">So please, let this sleepy area of the forum return to its hibernation.</span>

That is probably the last musical biography I read (back at the tail-end of the 80s as I recall). Riveting book which happened to be in the bookshelf of someone's house where I crashed for a couple of days. Never been that into reading books or magazines about music, unlike, say, film.

I enjoy reading fiction a lot, but don't read much non-fiction for pleasure these days, unless one includes what I read on the internet, and I think a lot of that that purports to be the truth is also fictitious to some degree.

I actually don't read nearly as many books as I used to, partially because of not having good libraries where I now live, and also because of vision issues.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 03:20
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

My post was not intended to be as serious and mal-nutritious as Dean made it sound like, but it's all good ... 
I'm calling bovine excreta on that. Your repetitive history of making similarly worded jibes belittling the members here belies your attempt to brush this one off as a bit of a jest. 

...oh yeah, least I forget: ClownWackoTongueLOLBeerYing Yang

Stern Smile

Wink
What?
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 11:53
I have a whole collection of musical bios and history including  Sound of the Beast (Metal History)), Citizens of Hope and Glory (Prog History), Mean Deviation (Prog Metal History), Life (Keith Richards), Starting at Zero (Hendrix), A Life (Robert Plant), Scar Tissue(Anthony Keidis), So What (Miles David), Accidental Revolution (Grunge History), Light and Shade(Jimmy Page), 101 Albums that Changed Music History and a few more I cannot recall off the top of my head.  

The bios were of varying quality, but I recall liking Keidis the least of the above and (probably) Hendrix the most.  Mean Deviation introduced me to great music that was largely far too extreme for my tastes and was a little dry in tone.  Citizens of Hope and Glory was a great read for me.  The more actual historical context or psychological awareness of the writer, the more interesting to me.  Accidental Revolution was surprisingly well rooted in the history of the Seattle (mostly) scene.

Most I read before discovering PA, but I did submit short reviews for the Plant and Hendrix Books.  I didn't feel i could do justice to the two prog books on the list, as so much was new to me when I read them.

Oh yeah, I read Hammer of the Gods(Zeppelin, of course) a very long time ago.  It was trashy as hell!

Edited by twalsh - March 15 2016 at 11:58
More heavy prog, please!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 12:40
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

That is probably the last musical biography I read (back at the tail-end of the 80s as I recall). Riveting book which happened to be in the bookshelf of someone's house where I crashed for a couple of days. Never been that into reading books or magazines about music, unlike, say, film.

I have been doing foreign film reviews for 30 years and some of them (only half so far) are on my website, and more to come as I get unlazy after some much needed rest. 

My biggest comment in this area, is always how little the other arts are shown in parallel to music, and this is so fan oriented at times, that it is insane ... the late 60's was not only a musical revelation ... it was also a literary, theater, and film revolution and an extreme one at that, that in my book makes for the single biggest movement in the 20th century ... but I am not sure that all of us can see that within a historical context, and this is the reason why I do not support the naming of "progressive" to music, because it's like saying that film, theater and other arts did not have that same/similar attitude, and they DID, and in some cases much more so! Godard, Bunuel, Truffaut, Fellini, Bergman, Kurosawa and many others, make the "progressive" music scene seem tame by comparison, specially in a discussion context. Ohhh ... the music scene was also "late" and behind the other three! Think about it ... Miles Davis actually fits in this exclusive creative group ... for who they were and did! Totally different than anyone else!

The area of rock music is the problem, because rock music considers itself "superior" and above and beyond discussion, because it annoys the fans ... can you imagine if those other artists would have continued if they had given in to the mass ideal that is supported and fed today? And this attitude, has hurt the livelihood of other serious music/works that were put together at that time and since. Although, I do thank the internet for helping make sure other things are now seen and heard whereas 50 years ago this was not the case at all ... only word of mouth at that time, as opposed to the word of the arriving ship 45 days later as was the case 500 years ago.

Edited by moshkito - March 15 2016 at 12:44
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12