Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKnow a good portable stereo system?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Know a good portable stereo system?
    Posted: March 19 2016 at 15:35
I've heard a little Bose portable Bluetooth system that put out some amazing sound for being the size of a tube of crackers. But it was a soundbar style setup and I would like discreet speakers so I can separate them and get an awesome soundstage.

Doesn't need to have Bluetooth or even be wireless.
A sub woofer would probably be nice.

I just want to be able to take them to someone's house who normally only uses lo-fi desktop speakers.

This space intentionally left blank

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 06:34
The little Bose Soundlink is phenomenal - how they get that power and response from such tiny speakers is amazing. After poo-pooing Bose for years my wife bought me one for christmas and I love it. The lack of soundstage (which is undeniable and noticeable) is more than compensated by the sound quality and low-end response (it's not bass, but it's a damn sight better than those so-called sub-woofers with puny 4" bass drivers that portable discreet speaker systems use) - one other surprising thing about it is the sound projection is much better than normal small speaker set ups, the quality does not diminish with distance any where near as much. While I initially intended to use it when out of the house, it's now replaced the Logitech PC speaker system used before because it's more convenient for switching between laptop, phone and iPad. The subsequent reduction in desk-clutter is a bonus. Of course for dedicated listening (and music production) I still hook-up everything to the room hi-fi using a flying lead but for casual play-back it's ideal. Which brings up the other option of using a Bluetooth receiver that plugs into the room hi-fi. (I can't personally recommend the one I've linked because I've never used it, that's just given as an example)

Edited by Dean - March 20 2016 at 06:35
What?
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 09:42
Thanks for the thoughts. I hadn't really considered using something like that to replace my crappy PC speakers but Im def looking into that now.

This space intentionally left blank

Post Reply Post Reply