FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJam Bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jam Bands
    Posted: March 23 2016 at 18:39
I think that the "jam band" genre is, in many ways, similar to prog. The things they play aren't always structurally played like classical pieces, however they do play long extenuated songs that can literally go anywhere in complexity. And with one of the most famous jam bands, Phish, allowed on this site for the numerous instances of progressive undertones, I think they deserve at least a small discussion.

My favorites include Phish, Widespread Panic, Grateful Dead, and The Allman Brothers Band. Thoughts?

Edited by aglasshouse - March 23 2016 at 18:41
http://fryingpanmedia.com
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 18:53
I definitely got into Phish & the Grateful Dead partly because of their prog aspects. Among other things, I spent my teens listening to Rush, Genesis, Yes, and heavier stuff like Rainbow, Deep Purple, Judas Priest, as well as the Beatles. The Dead tunes that got me were things like Help On the Way/Slipknot! and the 7/4 jam at the end of early-'70s versions of Eyes of the World. Seeing Phish live in 1990 when I was in college I loved the albums Junta & Lawn Boy - getting to see a band perform like this live, with long composed instrumental sections, was awesome - it felt like MY prog band, that I could see live regularly (I lived in Massachusetts). 

I don't know that all jambands would fall that close to progressive rock, but I'm not a huge fan of genres anyway. 
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2016 at 18:58
There is The Allman Brothers, and then there is everyone else.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 10:28
I absolutely love the Grateful Dead circa '68-'75 but just can't keep my eyes open during space->drums LOL
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 10:35
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the Grateful Dead is the most progressive rock band I've ever heard. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 10:56
Jam Bands are the antithesis of Progressive Rock in every respect.

It's really "okay" for a style of music not to be Prog Rock and it's really "okay" to like music that isn't Prog Rock. Prog Rock isn't some exclusive "good music" club that bands have to join before they can considered to be "good", "likeable" or "worthy".
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 14:26
Come on Dean! If a band is a) from the 70s and b) fond of solos and looooong tunes = prog. That's how Freebird singlehandedly cemented Lynyrd Skynyrd's place in the echelons of Prog Rock
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2016 at 20:35
I think they have some differences but 'antithesis' seems a bit hyperbolic
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 03:03
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

I think they have some differences but 'antithesis' seems a bit hyperbolic
You're entitled to your opinion, as am I. However, 'antithesis' is a word I chose for its precision and not for exaggeration because there are not just some differences, there is a plethora of them and they are diametric in practically every respect. 
What?
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 11:05
"Antithesis" is absolutely incorrect.....friends who saw Yes back in the day speak of how little the band improvised.....how their live sound hardly expounded on the album tracks at all.  Improv is the soul of true progressive music.....taking an existing track and bending and stretching it until something new is created.

Skynyrd is not a jam band; they only stretch things out by extending instrumental pieces just a tad....but if you followed Skynyrd you'll know that the solo from the night before in Philly will be the same the next night in New York.  Skynyrd didn't show "progress", more "regress" and that's where the "antithesis" crack originates.  I get the idea, but most jam bands don't even have a set list, they just let the flow take the music where it will.

Edited by Intruder - March 25 2016 at 11:13
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 11:17
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

"Antithesis" is absolutely incorrect.....friends who saw Yes back in the day speak of who little the band improvised.....how their live sound hardly expounded on the album tracks at all.  Improv is the soul of true progressive music.....taking an existing track and bending and stretching it until something new is created.

Skynyrd is not a jam band; they only stretch things out by extending instrumental pieces just a tad....but if you followed Skynyrd you'll know that the solo from the night before in Philly will be the same the next night in New York.  Skynyrd didn't show "progress", more "regress" and that's where the "antithesis" crack originates.  I get the idea, but most jam bands don't even have a set list, they just let the flow take the music where it will.

"Antithesis" in the manner I believe Dean is referring to is in reference to "progressive rock" as defined in precisely one million, five-hundred thousand, six hundred and thirty-two debates over the genre. If you define "progressive rock" as bands that abandoned the blues-based format of original rock and roll and instead synthesized classicism, jazz and world music into the idiom, then the Allman Brothers, a band I adore, is not in any sense of the word "progressive" in that sense. They remained blues-based, just as the Grateful Dead did. It's not a knock, it's a matter of classification.

Ornette Coleman or Miles Davis riffing is not "progressive rock", nor is the Allman Brothers playing a half-hour improv on "Mountain Jam".

Edited by The Dark Elf - March 25 2016 at 11:24
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 12:11
This has been an interesting discussion to read, since I love both progressive rock and a lot of the bands that birthed the jam band genre (Phish, Widespread Panic, Col. Bruce Hampton & the Aquarium Rescue Unit), as well as bands like the Grateful Dead who were retroactively termed jam bands. The benefit of this discussion isn't to draw boundaries but to gain deeper insight into the music that I love.

Genres and labels are all fine and dandy, but my favorite bands are those that transcend genre - in fact, isn't that often how genres are created? As much as the Grateful Dead had a strong blues streak, the 20th century classical background of Phil Lesh had a huge impact. Their most proggy aspect is their use of odd times - they had a song in 11/8 by their second album, and played in odd times throughout the '70s - Lazy Lightning, King Solomon's Marbles, Estimated Prophet, the breakdown at the end of Uncle John's Band, to name a few. I do agree that they don't really fit as a prog band, but they aren't a blues band either - they're just the good ol' Grateful Dead - no genre label can contain them!

I like the idea that jam bands don't have to be prog bands but can we allow them prog-like aspects?

I also disagree that improvisation is a defining aspect of progressive rock - to me, Yes and Genesis are two of the archetypal prog bands, but they have almost zero improvisation. King Crimson is the wild card - the way that improv was an essential element of their music with Bill Buford and Jamie Muir was what set them apart for me.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2016 at 23:57
Improvisation isn't what prog is about-just like classical influence, conceptual writing and artful pallets aren't solely what defines progressive rock. While I don't believe jam bands are progressive rock bands in any sense, they do utilize one of the more prevalent elements of the genre. In that case yes, they are closer to being the antithesis of prog than they are anything else because they fail to uphold any other cemented aspects of it other than the "jam" part.

Edited by aglasshouse - March 25 2016 at 23:57
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 06:01
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

"Antithesis" is absolutely incorrect.....friends who saw Yes back in the day speak of how little the band improvised.....how their live sound hardly expounded on the album tracks at all.  Improv is the soul of true progressive music.....taking an existing track and bending and stretching it until something new is created.

All Jams are improvisation but not all improvisations are jams. The distinction is far from subtle nor is it intended as a "crack". While generalisations should be avoided wherever possible, when defining the difference between jams and improvisation you have to consider the commonest forms of each. Here "Jams" are improvised excursions from a set chord progression or groove, often in the form of extended soloing, as opposed to "Improvs" where the compositional structure of the piece, its melody, rhythm and chord progression develops organically. Of course since nothing in music is cast in stone or restrained by strict rules some jams can be wholly improvised in terms of compositional structure and progression and some non-jam improvisations can simply be soloing over a predefined backing - in those cases you have to consider the intent of the musicians from the start of the piece, not how they arrived at its conclusion.

Personally I think the case for improvisation in Progressive Rock rests on the compositional development of a track rather than how the song is used as a spring-board for extended soloing on stage. Where Yes improvised was in the studio, a track would be developed and extended from a loose arrangement of set-pieces into its final form; this arrangement was the result of planned intent and not from studio-jamming; and would then be recorded, rehearsed and taken on tour without further change. Their stage performances of these compositions, even with extended soloing, were carefully rehearsed and not jams.

Pink Floyd have been retrospectively tagged as a "Jam Band" because they developed and extended set pieces in a live setting during their early career but I see this as inaccurate. Floyd did indeed jam and there is plenty of evidence of this from live recordings of that era, but there is also evidence of non-jam improvisation. When Floyd jammed on stage you generally got a blues-jam, not an improvisation; when they improvised on stage you saw a compositional song-structure development as opposed to a jam. 

Saucerful of Secrets (the song) is a studio composition in four parts where the second part (Syncopated Pandemonium) indeed began life as a jam (as Nick's Boogie) before being incorporated into the final song in the studio; the song was then further developed on stage through improvised variations on what had been laid-down in the studio resulting from the limitations of what could and could not be played live - as a consequence of this it became less free-form and avant-garde and more melodic and rehearsed. It is worth noting here that the Pompeii version is some two minutes shorter than the studio version (not something you would expect to see in a jam, where songs invariably become longer on stage) while other live version are considerably longer as the length of individual sections were more fluid. Whether this fluidity in section length was the result of intentional jamming or on-stage improvised experimentation really depends on how those individual sections were played, the last section for example (Celestial Voices) saw the addition of extra instrumentation over a set keyboard solo (and the replacing of the studio choir voices with Gilmour's vocalisation) in what is essentially the reverse of a jam - adding a groove to a solo rather than soloing to a groove.

Another example would be "Echoes" which went through a cycle of improvised composition to studio set-piece to live version with extended improvised sections that included a rhythmic jam section for Gilmour to solo over. Contrast that to "Embryo" that developed from a 4 minute studio piece to an extended (i.e. improvised) 12 minute live piece that could be regarded as the 'definitive' version of the song's composition. In its final live performance this 12-minute version was extended by a further 15 minutes by an impromptu jam imposed on them by an equipment failure (Rick Wright's Hammond broke down) where they jammed bits of other songs into the piece while the roadies tried to rectify the fault. Since the song was dropped from the set list after this that jam cannot be seen as a further compositional development.

What?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 08:07
Referring to the original post ....I do like Allman Bros (one of my favorite early US bands) and The Dead though I don't consider either band to be progressive rock but The Dead certainly have had elements of prog in their music over the years. Never cared for Phish or Panic.

I suspect the long jams from the Grateful Dead grew out of their love for lsd and running out of songs to play at longer concerts than intentionally creating progressive music.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 09:41

I think that the "jam band" genre is, in many ways, similar to prog. The things they play aren't always structurally played like classical pieces, however they do play long extenuated songs that can literally go anywhere in complexity. And with one of the most famous jam bands, Phish, allowed on this site for the numerous instances of progressive undertones, I think they deserve at least a small discussion.

My favorites include Phish, Widespread Panic, Grateful Dead, and The Allman Brothers Band. Thoughts?

my thoughts.

there is a reason you find reviews of Allman Brothers albums on jazz sites and are highly adored by many jazz fans...

jam band?  Labels. Got to love them and jam band is one of the worst of all labels. Sloppy and misleading. the ABB a jam band? My ass.... call them what they were.  Perhaps the  greatest practitioner of jazz-rock fusion taking back from the brits what was ours.. our musical tradition.

Shame I retired from genre team work when I did for the ABB were next to come. I saw it, the JRF team back then saw it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 12:20
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

my thoughts.

there is a reason you find reviews of Allman Brothers albums on jazz sites and are highly adored by many jazz fans...

jam band?  Labels. Got to love them and jam band is one of the worst of all labels. Sloppy and misleading. the ABB a jam band? My ass.... call them what they were.  Perhaps the  greatest practitioner of jazz-rock fusion taking back from the brits what was ours.. our musical tradition.

Shame I retired from genre team work when I did for the ABB were next to come. I saw it, the JRF team back then saw it.

The ABB jazz rock fusion...?   I wonder if the band themselves would say that....I doubt it. But then that doesn't stop someone not in the band itself  from calling them whatever they want. Wink
I consider them southern blues rock with a healthy dose of jazz fusion mixed in...but not jazz fusion per se.
At any rate a damn fine band what ever one subjectively wants to label them.
Big smile
Haquin
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 13:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

my thoughts.

The ABB jazz rock fusion...?   I wonder if the band themselves would say that....I doubt it. But then that doesn't stop someone not in the band itself  from calling them whatever they want. Wink
I consider them southern blues rock with a healthy dose of jazz fusion mixed in...but not jazz fusion per se.
At any rate a damn fine band what ever one subjectively wants to label them.
Big smile

Producer Tom Dowd (not a band member but could be called an honourary member if there ever was one) has gone back and called At Fillmore East a fusion album. Though the idea of a genre tag for the ABB is pretty interesting because I don't think anyone in the band would actually agree on one. "Southern rock" would be the obvious choice but that doesn't really mean anything; that was just a term that the media thought up that southern rock artists typically resented. I'm pretty sure it was Dickey Betts that once said he didn't see the Allman Brothers as "southern rock" but instead a progressive rock band from the South.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 14:12
if anyone can pick out a more perfect.. and more perfectly executed example of modal jazz in a rock context I'll give them props for being smarter than me.

Edited by micky - March 26 2016 at 14:13
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 23:43
This is a nice piece on the band including their influences, etc....Wiki is not perfect by any means but it's a solid article.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Allman_Brothers_Band
I have been listening to ABB since 1969 when I graduated from high school....never saw them as fusion...especially the first 2 albums which rock pretty hard at times (Black Hearted Woman for  an example..) and are certainly bluesy through and through.....but their live work which goes into extended jamming and the instrumentals like Elizabeth Reed certainly fit the idea of 'modal and fusion'.....but even so I just don't get that idea that they are a 'jazz fusion' band.
They rock too hard and have way too much blues imho.
btw....this is the first time I have ever heard anyone discuss them in a fusion manner. None of the people who were into them at college with me or after ever thought of them that way. Just an observation.
I do agree somewhat with Betts in saying a progressive rock band from the South......though I notice they ain't on Prog Rock Archives.
Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - March 26 2016 at 23:58
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>