Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Reissues where the "bonus material" actually is
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReissues where the "bonus material" actually is

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reissues where the "bonus material" actually is
    Posted: March 26 2016 at 08:36
^ What it says in the title.  A lot of reissues carry bonus material that just means you have to quickly jump up and eject the CD at the end of the regular album before the crap starts. Post here the honourable exceptions where the additional tracks are worthwhile and enhance the release.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 08:37
I'll start.  Recently got the Soleil Zeuhl reissue of Alain Eckert Quartet s/t.  Two bonus live tracks amounting to 30m of music, and they are just killer performances.

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 08:40
The Who Sell Out is so much better with all the bonus stuff on the CD.
Magma America Great Make Again
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 08:43
The two bonus tracks of the Weidorje album are essential. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 08:54
SBB's cd version of their 1977 release Ze Slowem Biegne Do Ciebie features a track called Odesje that later on would transform into the album Slovenian Girls. Ze Slowem... is without a doubt my favourite studio album of their's, but I still think Odesje is the best cut on it.

The cd reissues of Klaus Sculze's work features a monstruous amount of live material and studio leftovers that never got to see the light of day...and most of it is pretty damn excellent. Problem though is that I bought most of his albums on vinyl, and I really don't want or need two versions of Mirage or X. (I'm not entirely sure, but most lf this bonus material may be the exact same that constitutes his La Vie Electronique series? I'd feel much better if that was the case. A way to get my hands on the stuff I'm missing without having two copies of everything.)

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 26 2016 at 09:06
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 09:02
I've always thought that the versions of "Something's Coming" off of Yes' debut album were better than any songs on the original album. Also, "Home To The God of Light [Live]", a bonus track from Camel's debut album, is a stellar live jam that I'd say is essential for Camel fans.

Edit: The 30th anniversary re-release of IQ's "Tales From The Lush Attic" has some amazing bonus tracks, like "Wintertell", "Just Changing Hands" and "Dans Le Parc Du Chateau Noir".

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - March 26 2016 at 09:06
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 09:46
A Passion Play: An Extended Performance Edition (2013). 

Two different album releases of material instead of one: A Passion Play and its predecessor the equally interesting The Chateau d'Herouville Sessions.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Imperial Zeppelin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 09:54
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

SBB's cd version of their 1977 release Ze Slowem Biegne Do Ciebie features a track called Odesje that later on would transform into the album Slovenian Girls. Ze Slowem... is without a doubt my favourite studio album of their's, but I still think Odesje is the best cut on it.

The cd reissues of Klaus Sculze's work features a monstruous amount of live material and studio leftovers that never got to see the light of day...and most of it is pretty damn excellent. Problem though is that I bought most of his albums on vinyl, and I really don't want or need two versions of Mirage or X. (I'm not entirely sure, but most lf this bonus material may be the exact same that constitutes his La Vie Electronique series? I'd feel much better if that was the case. A way to get my hands on the stuff I'm missing without having two copies of everything.)

Good call on Schulze reissues. I have heard a lot from the LVE series, but I don't recall having tracks like "In Cosa Crede Chi Non Crede?" and "Objet D'Louis" (the bonuses of Mirage and X) or anything of the like on any of them. So no, I don't think the bonus material on the albums have landed on the LVE series. 
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 09:56
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

The Who Sell Out is so much better with all the bonus stuff on the CD.

HELL YEAH!  amen to THAT...

first album I thought of....

go Keith go.....Clap

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 10:09
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

The two bonus tracks of the Weidorje album are essential. 

Been meaning to get that for years!  Good to know.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 10:19

The cd reissues of Klaus Sculze's work features a monstruous amount of live material and studio leftovers that never got to see the light of day...and most of it is pretty damn excellent.

Thumbs Up That reminds me of the Tangerine Dream reissues on Esoteric that all seem to be loaded with extra stuff. I've only got Zeit so far, which has a second CD with the 'Klangwaldt' live performance - a really nice one.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 10:41
I almost immediately thought of TD after my post - I'm glad you mentioned them. It's kinda the same thing happening there, where most of their reissues are filled to the brim with bonus material. Again, nigh on 90% of my TD albums is vinylLOL

Keeping with ze German vibe I'd like to add the cd version of Wolf City. I bought it and didn't realise all the bonus material the cd offered. I'm positively thrilled that I decided to go for the cd though as it features this wonderful track:

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 10:49
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

I've always thought that the versions of "Something's Coming" off of Yes' debut album were better than any songs on the original album. Also, "Home To The God of Light [Live]", a bonus track from Camel's debut album, is a stellar live jam that I'd say is essential for Camel fans.

Edit: The 30th anniversary re-release of IQ's "Tales From The Lush Attic" has some amazing bonus tracks, like "Wintertell", "Just Changing Hands" and "Dans Le Parc Du Chateau Noir".

I don't mind that album (one of my lesser ones though) though I do agree in regards to that track (I do prefer the stereo version on Yesyears/Yesstory, however). I would also like to add Dear Father from Time and a Word (2003), America from Fragile (2003), and a majority of the second disc of Coda (the 2015 reissue by Led Zeppelin).
Progrockdude
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 11:56
Not a prog album as such, but listed on this site under Wishbone Ash (prog-related), their album No Smoke Without Fire on CD has 5 bonus tracks. Two are out-takes which are easily as good as the tracks on the original album, whilst the other 3 are excellent live recordings.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 12:09

I almost immediately thought of TD after my post - I'm glad you mentioned them. It's kinda the same thing happening there, where most of their reissues are filled to the brim with bonus material. Again, nigh on 90% of my TD albums is vinylLOL

Keeping with ze German vibe I'd like to add the cd version of Wolf City. I bought it and didn't realise all the bonus material the cd offered. I'm positively thrilled that I decided to go for the cd though as it features this wonderful track:

Really nice track, hadn't heard that one before. Thanks Thumbs Up
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 12:11
One that comes to mind is the reissue of "Adonis" by ANYONE's DAUGHTER.  It has 2 live bonus tracks that are lengthy and in the general vein of the title cut.  Amazing that they sat in the vaults for so long, and that they never had a studio release, given the band stuck around for 4 studio albums.  Probably related to the timing for such prog epics, Adonis appearing in 1979
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 16:27
The 2002 remasters of Triumvirat's first three albums. Mediterranean Tales and Illusions On A Double Dimple have some added singles tracks for the first time on CD that are totally awesome bonus material. Spartacus has a great live track added, and the super bonus studio track "Showstopper".
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 16:45
Univers Zero - Heresie has the excellent Chaos Hermetique as a 12 minute bonus track
Klaus Schulze - plenty of great bonus tracks
Pink Floyd's WYWH with the Live versions of Raving & Drooling and You've Gotta Be Crazy are excellent
Hawkwind - Quark Strangeness & Charm has lots of interesting bonus material
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 19:55
Anthony Phillips first three (2cd voiceprint).

Awesome!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2016 at 20:19
I've always thought the WarChild reissue not only had great extras but that it revealed what the album might've been if the band hadn't moved away from its distended but brilliant predecessor.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>