Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Reissues where the "bonus material" actually is
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedReissues where the "bonus material" actually is

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 08:36
The Steven Wilson remaster of GG's Power And Glory was excellent! The electric-piano bass opening of "Proclamation" sounds better than ever!
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2016 at 06:53
To get back to the topic: I don't like it if a concept album is saddled with a bonus track that is unrelated to the concept. Such tracks do not always suck, but they usually don't fit - the right thing in the wrong place. Sometimes, I take the trouble, in listening, to stand up and stop the CD player at the end of the last regular track.

Edited by WeepingElf - April 23 2016 at 06:54
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2016 at 07:00
One of the reasons why I listen to vinyl again, it's because there are no bonus tracks. 
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 04:52
Some tracks and non-album singles were omitted from the original vinyl albums through lack of space. The title track from ELP's Brain Salad Surgery springs to mind, and the Joybringer single by Manfred Mann's Earth Band around the time of the Solar Fire album. The BSS title track was released as a promotional acetate with NME, along with a sampler track. When both were added to BSS the album it was a double bonus for me. Solar Fire finally felt complete with the inclusion of Joybringer. 

On the subject of ELP, although perhaps not essential, I found the studio run-throughs (included as bonuses on several albums) interesting for showing the development of the tracks and as an insight to the band in the studio.

siddhivinod View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Indian Spam Supply

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 06:35
Listening a very old song song and reissues the cd of this is the "bonus material" Smile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 02:30
I only own three Strawbs CDs, but Antiques & Curios has great bonus tracks (3 for 20 mins), Witchwood and Grave New World have one each, and they could be part of the original albums

Don't know if the bonus tracks on their latter albums are good, though

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 04:10
As it came up in rotation recently.  Talking Heads Remain In Light comes to mind.  First of all Jerry Harrison did a surround sound mix that Steven Wilson level of quality. It has four tracks that are quite good plus two videos.  You can't beat that with a stick.  Unless you are a jerk of course.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 04:24
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

To get back to the topic: I don't like it if a concept album is saddled with a bonus track that is unrelated to the concept. Such tracks do not always suck, but they usually don't fit - the right thing in the wrong place. Sometimes, I take the trouble, in listening, to stand up and stop the CD player at the end of the last regular track.

Yeah, hint to record companies: put the bonus tracks on a separate CD.  And not just with concept albums.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 06:00
Generally I distain bonus tracks.   Pesky gnats!

But the bonus song Why on Uriah Heep's (2003 Expanded Delux CD) "Demons and Wizards" is essential.  One of my favorite bass featured songs ever!  Lucky for me it's the first bonus song,  thus I can avoid the demo crap and single edits after Why.

A bunch of 70's Jethro Tull Bonus material is valid, largely because Ian was so damn prolific that normal albums couldn't hold all his creativity.  
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 06:12
Marillion released some remasters at some point, with a second cd with songs that never made to the album or some demo versions, quite interesting. I bought CAS, Brave and AOS and it was worth it. Especially CAS second cd.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 12:44
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I only own three Strawbs CDs, but Antiques & Curios has great bonus tracks (3 for 20 mins), Witchwood and Grave New World have one each, and they could be part of the original albums

Don't know if the bonus tracks on their latter albums are good, though

I'm not such a big fan of Antiques and Curios but it's nice to have the string heavy ballad "Forever" included.

The bonus track on Witchwood, "Keep the Devil Outside" is absolutely essential Strawbs, although it seems to vault ahead a few years in terms of style for the group, which is bizarre, because it does come from the Witchwood era.  It's even sung by Tony Hooper but written by Hudson and Ford.  Lots of departures from the norm in this superb song.

I think Grave New World had 2, "Here it Comes' and "Going Home".  Neither really fit with the album and "Going Home" is horrible hard rock that actually appeared as the last song on Dave Cousins' fine solo album "Two Weeks Last Summer".

There are 3 bonuses on Bursting at the Seams and two are totally worthwhile, one being "Will ye Go", a rockin adaptation of an almost trad song also known as "Wild Mountain Thyme", and "Backside", a send up of Bowie's Ziggy Stardust persona but very strong musically.  They underscore the creative peak that the Strawbs experienced around the Bursting at the Seams era (I know Hugues does not agree, but if you filter the album by music quality rather than prog quotient, it's their best).  

Hero and Heroine has 2 bonus tracks, one of which, "Still Small Voice", is excellent if unfinished.  

The bonus tracks on "Ghosts" and "Nomadness" are quite unessential.  

On the rather poor "Deep Cuts", the bonus track is a Dave Lambert number that is better than all but the best 3 songs on the original album.  It's lively and a bit funky, and eschews conventional structures more than most of what's there.  

The bonus track on "Burning for You" is an acoustic version of "Joey and Me" which appeared in full band form on "Deadlines".  

The latest reissue of "Deadlines" has a lot of bonus material but I don't have it.

I think that sums it up  :)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 22:17
I do have found many good songs on the bonus tracks of albums... though hardly ever better than the best songs of the main album (perhaps never). One that might be found strange for some is that I liked better "Lady Fantasy" from "Mirage" better on the bonus alternate take of the song than the original... I don't even remember why, perhaps it was just me getting the idea into my head just because I read that the original song was sped up a fraction once already recorded and the bonus one was with the speed in which it was actually recorded, so I liked better the idea of the playing not being toyed with.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234