Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIndo-Prog/Raga Rock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Indo-Prog/Raga Rock
    Posted: March 29 2016 at 20:50
Does anybody on this site listen to anything from this subgenre? Does anyone here know it exists? I never see this genre discussed in the forums and I never see Indo/Raga album reviews on the front page. When was the last time anyone actually put some Indo/Raga on? 

I'm curious as to how much of a following a subgenre where the third highest ranked album has 9 ratings actually gets.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2016 at 21:44
I've done like 11 reviews on Indo-raga albums. I listen to Shakti now and again. Love Clivage as well. Codona is something i also play once in a while. The rest i'm not as into because a lot of the bands listed here are really obscure and not only are the albums hard to come by but there aren't any videos online either. I do like the style though
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 02:16
f**k! I made a long post and got access denied!

Unlike many boring bands the majority of indo/raga artists/bands were indifferent to gaining followings and fans. Its beautifully honest music here for us to discover and that's a wonderful thing. 

Ananda Shankar, Vasant Rai, Codona, Kalacakra, Kanguru, Clem Alford, Cosmic Eye are all amazing too.

twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 03:49
Well said, Mr. Popette, and it makes for a pretty unique subgenre.
Clivage and Codona are favourites of mine, Don Robertson, Osjan, Zendik and Fit & Limo also come recommended, all with a pretty unique sound of themselves even.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 03:56
Shakti is the most well known/talked about. Reviews appear once in a while. The Clivage albums are also fairly popular (by PA standards). Here's a few I like, two from the '60s and one more modern:

Magma America Great Make Again
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 04:18
Love KANGURU.

Broken Heart
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 08:45
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Does anybody on this site listen to anything from this subgenre? Does anyone here know it exists? I never see this genre discussed in the forums and I never see Indo/Raga album reviews on the front page. When was the last time anyone actually put some Indo/Raga on? 

I'm curious as to how much of a following a subgenre where the third highest ranked album has 9 ratings actually gets.

YESBig smile

It is actually a very diverse sub - as most others tbh - with acts ranging from old school Indian raga carpet rides with incense burning like there was no tomorrow (Third Ear Band) to drone experiments (Pelt) to full-on Texan Krautrock (Wulf Zendik) to zeuhl flavoured blaxpoitation prog outta Asia (Clivage). 

One of the best ways of introducing oneself to any sub on PA is to give the MP3 player a go. The playlist for Indo Pork is brilliant btw. I've been introduced to quite a few bands that way.

My reviews from the sub:

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 30 2016 at 09:21
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2016 at 09:46
Oh that's right, Hortobagyi is also in there. Also recommended, although more electronic/new age then rock
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 11:57
Don't know if they're on PA, but the band Oregon, led by Ralph Towner and the multi-instrumentalist Colin Wolcott, would certainly be a welcome addition to the site.  Gabor Szabo also put out some excellent raga-jazz albums.  Sweet Smoke's second album is full of raga-rock, and Gong/Hillage also dug the genre. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
justin4950834-2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 12:09
Always love some Codona with Don Cherry's perfectly timed spurts of madness on his sax.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 12:54
Hi,

Oh my word ... if the thing is indeed a raga styled rock music ... I'm sooooo there ... I always thought the instrumental in AD2's Wolf City was the best piece of raga styled rock music I had ever heard ... and I always hoped that they had extended that a lot more ... because it was truly beautiful.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 14:00
To be honest I'm not sure what the category even entails......I mean from what I know and I only have a handful of albums from this genre .
Quintessence, Shakti, and Third Ear Band are the only ones I own and know well and to me they could as easily fit into prog folk in a general manner.
Confused
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 14:02
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Don't know if they're on PA, but the band Oregon, led by Ralph Towner and the multi-instrumentalist Colin Wolcott, would certainly be a welcome addition to the site.  Gabor Szabo also put out some excellent raga-jazz albums.  Sweet Smoke's second album is full of raga-rock, and Gong/Hillage also dug the genre. 

Oregon is indeed here and listed as jazz rock fusion btw.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 15:14
People interested in this kind of stuff would probably like Embryo's journeys into South Asian music as well as the Popol Vuh album Yoga.
Magma America Great Make Again
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 16:27
^ And Sergius Golowin's (listed in Krautrock) Lord Krishna von Goloka. And this is a cool one from another listed in krautrock from Ralf Nowy's Lucifer's Dream.

There's a lot of Indo Prog/ Raga Rock crossover with other categories including Krautrock, Prog Folk and Psyche (a lot of acid folk/ kosmische and jazzy Indo-prog/raga rock).

In jazz, Alice Coltrane is a favourite of mine to be inspired by Indo/ Raga music.

Lots I love in the category, but like twseel, Clivage and Codona are particular favourites of mine. I know people hate the underrated term, but if I were to choose an underrated on the whole category in PA, this would be it. I say that in the sense of the albums not getting many ratings, which is because it's so unknown, and in what limited discussion we have had about the category, those who didn't know it did not seem interested to know it, but the very few people who took the time to get to know it did like it. Okay, maybe underrated is not the best term, but it certainly it does not get much appreciation (and the category had had derision).

Edited by Logan - March 31 2016 at 16:43
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2016 at 20:59
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

YESBig smile

It is actually a very diverse sub - as most others tbh - with acts ranging from old school Indian raga carpet rides with incense burning like there was no tomorrow (Third Ear Band) to drone experiments (Pelt) to full-on Texan Krautrock (Wulf Zendik) to zeuhl flavoured blaxpoitation prog outta Asia (Clivage). 

One of the best ways of introducing oneself to any sub on PA is to give the MP3 player a go. The playlist for Indo Pork is brilliant btw. I've been introduced to quite a few bands that way.

My reviews from the sub:

That's a great diverse offering here. I really do like the sub and need to check out more of it :) 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 10:29

Nice list ... but the differences are rough for my ears. ECM's version of this should be "jazz-weird with Brazilian overtones" ... for Codona. ECM has a lot of mixes and different things, that defy definition and ideas. It is one of the reasons why I like so much listening to many of their folks ... you do not know what you gonna get. Terje Rypdal, Jan Garbarek specially in his experimental days (Eventyr is a must!!!!!!), Egberto Gismonti ... and their work has a lot of "raga" written all over it to the point that Garbarek even did stuff with Ali Ahkbar Khan (spelling) and the album was called "Ragas and Sagas" ... 

I have not seen, honestly, a really good and well done ROCK MUSIC version of ragas and Bekker and Fertier were nice but you could not get past the scales in the notes at times, and one of the things that is important in the development of the "raga" is to allow the music to supersede the notes, and allow the feeling to take over, not the notes or chords. I like to say, close your eyes and play.

Working on the other listens.

I'll post more as I listen to these ... but was already thinking of Georg Deuter, but he would fit better as electronic ragas, although the 1st album is very different and might be added to the list possibly.

I've been a collector of "meditative" music every since day one ... and my collection is extensive in this area, with Frank Perry, Stephan Micus and many others that created ragas with their music. Of these the focused meditations by Frank Perry in his first two albums are totally magnificent and out of this world ... and very strong, and not something that most meditation inspired people even want to try ... it is a trip through the Tibetan cymbals and bowls, and it is powerful enough to make your stomach churn, if you are not experienced in that kind of thing. But once one gets past that, it is one of the best trips every created on an album in my experience ... a pure "raga" in its best sense. Not sure that anyone has ever created one of these on keyboards, though there are some that are close, but I always think that it is just teasing us with an idea ... here's a sound effect, and you are supposed to imagine the piece of music in that context. That does not always work for me, as my imagination is one of those ... gotta experience it myself. David Parsons is like this, but has some nice stuff also (Yatra).

(Edit April 3) Got as far as Floating Flower stuff so far in this list. Nice stuff!

Edited by moshkito - April 03 2016 at 10:27
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 13:02
I know Ananda Shankar, Shakti, Oregon, Dharana and Popol Vuh.
terramystic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 13:11
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Sweet Smoke's second album is full of raga-rock

Actually it's only one raga song on this album - Kundalini. There is some off-key singing and playing but I like the song because of the atmosphere.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2016 at 19:10
Besides my love for almost all of the musicians mentioned here, I sometimes like to take my Zen Muzik Meditations into the realm of the Avant-Garde and up tempo.  Laszlo Hortobagyi certainly can go madcap pagan, as well as many artists like Gabor Csupo and his wonderful Tone Casualties label.

Might I also suggest:  Loop Guru
                                Amorphous Androgynous
                                West India Company ( side project of Blancmange )
                                Monsoon ( with Sheila Chandra )
                                Sheila Chandra ( without Monsoon )
cheers...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>