Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Should Captain Beefheart be considered prog rock?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedShould Captain Beefheart be considered prog rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should Captain Beefheart be considered prog rock?
    Posted: April 03 2016 at 14:25
Hello, fellow progers! It's my first post on this forum (and I hope not last). I've come across and interesting dilemma - should Cpt. Beefheart be considered as a progressive rocker? He considered to the genre like no other, but on the other hand his work is more blues oriented than progressive, with possible exception of Mirror Man, but it's still more bluesy jam than a progressive suite. I think of him as a blues musician who just happened to influence progressive music with his avant-garde pieces like Trout Mask Replica or more refined Lick My Decals Off, Baby. I'm sorry if it's been discussed dozens of times, I'm interested in your opinions. And I really apologize for any mistakes in this text, as I'm no native English speaker.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 14:31
There's just as much jazz in his music as blues; it's probably his singing style which makes you think the music is more bluesy than it is. I think his most stereotypical 'proggy' stuff was his last three albums which have very little blues influence and incorporate synths and Mellotron.
Magma America Great Make Again
Affek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 14:44
Well, his singing style adds to the overall bluesy feel, but I think that most of his early stuff is a little psycheldelic blues, while it gets more jazzy and avant-garde (cheesy rock too, but we all want to forget about that) with time. But his last three albums, which you mention happened long after prog rock was dead and smelling funny.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 14:45
Even Trout Mask Replica has plenty of avant-garde jazz riffs of the Ornette Coleman / Don Cherry style to qualify as prog rock. He was certainly unique in his approach but definitely belongs here IMHO
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 14:50
Originally posted by Affek Affek wrote:

Well, his singing style adds to the overall bluesy feel, but I think that most of his early stuff is a little psycheldelic blues, while it gets more jazzy and avant-garde (cheesy rock too, but we all want to forget about that) with time. But his last three albums, which you mention happened long after prog rock was dead and smelling funny.

Every album doesn't have to qualify as prog for inclusion here and I agree his earliest stuff wouldn't let him in the club but before you decide he should have his membership revoked I suggest you check out his crazier albums while reading the guidelines for inclusion. He checks off every attribute on the list . BTW prog never died. It just took a little snooze
Affek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 14:57
You might be right; I didn't get interested with late stuff, dropped off around Bat Chain Puller, as his albums are nearly unavailable here. I always had the impression of Cap'n being just a avant-blues musician, who was claimed as a prog rocker by the critics. Got a little confused because of it, so came here to talk over this. Don't want to get off topic by talking about how alive prog rock is, but my personal opinion is that it was always about pushing boundaries further and further, and the last one was pushed by the punk revolution in late seventies, so there is no need for prog nowadays. But it's just my opinion.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 16:46
Yes.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 17:17
At the same time 'prog' was supposedly dying, the Captain was one of the few trying to keep it alive. He didn't get rich doing it and finally just gave up. BTW he was an influence on punk.

Magma America Great Make Again
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 19:00
I think the good Captain would definitely belong here.  If nothing else you could argue Trout Mask Replica was RIO/Avant and Doc at the Radar Station was eclectic prog...especially the mellotron drenched Sue Egypt Wink

I'd be shocked if Beefheart hasn't already been nominated in the "Suggest New Bands" forum.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 21:05
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 21:53
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Errmmm...  http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1471

Oh sure, he may be listed on this site as RIO/Avant prog, but he should be listed under REAL PROG.LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 22:22
Originally posted by Affek Affek wrote:

You might be right; I didn't get interested with late stuff, dropped off around Bat Chain Puller, as his albums are nearly unavailable here. I always had the impression of Cap'n being just a avant-blues musician, who was claimed as a prog rocker by the critics. Got a little confused because of it, so came here to talk over this. Don't want to get off topic by talking about how alive prog rock is, but my personal opinion is that it was always about pushing boundaries further and further, and the last one was pushed by the punk revolution in late seventies, so there is no need for prog nowadays. But it's just my opinion.

That's why the forum is here! We're happy to assist you in your prog reference needs :) I have never looked but i assume everything (minus the most obscure) is available for your listening pleasure on YouTube these days. 

As far as prog pushing boundaries, you do have a point. I have seen many a claim especially by Guldbumsen that prog isn't the most cutting edge anymore but it has become more of an ossified subgenre of rock. True dat but it is still enjoyable to listen to. That's just the nature of anything new. It appears, it blows minds and then becomes part of life. Meanwhile something totally unexpected does the same. There will never be another 70s prog explosion IMHO but there is still plenty of excellent music that takes old ideas and new to create clever new ways of experiencing things as never before. By all means, please don't submit to snobbery! Prog still has plenty of oompf in its soul :)

BTW where do you reside in Poland? I have been there multiple times pretty much in every corner of the country. One of my favorite countries in Europe actually :)

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2016 at 22:50
Beefhart is more Jazz than Blues and stranger still than any of that. I definitely don't know why being bluesy would be grounds for rejection from the Prog ranks. There's lots and lots of blues throughout well accepted Prog acts, Steve Hackett being one of them. Beefhart's childhood friend, Frank Zappa, was another. Jade Warrior was another. It varies in dosage, but it's pretty ubiquitous.

Edited by HackettFan - April 03 2016 at 22:53
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Affek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 02:33
HackettFan, he ceritanly is stranger than anything, Trout Mask Replica is one of the reasons I think Beefheart should be classified as prog - this album pushed boundaries of what rock music is capable of further than anything else. But on the other hand, Safe As Milk is a straightforward blues, which wasn't as progressive as, for example, This Was by Jethro Tull, which had some hints of what was going to happen with the band in near future. Zappa was rather grounded in doo-woop, but his work was progressive from the beggining. I think that calssifying Van Vliet as Avant-prog is very suitable for him.
Silly Puppy, I find listening to music from any other source than physical butchering. And I live in the central Poland, nice country to visit, but not so to live in ;).
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 04:14
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Beefhart is more Jazz than Blues and stranger still than any of that. I definitely don't know why being bluesy would be grounds for rejection from the Prog ranks. There's lots and lots of blues throughout well accepted Prog acts, Steve Hackett being one of them. Beefhart's childhood friend, Frank Zappa, was another. Jade Warrior was another. It varies in dosage, but it's pretty ubiquitous.

The distinction is whether Blues is the main defining characteristic of the music or not. Since Blues formed the foundation for Rock Music in general (12-bar, 16-bar, scales, chord progressions, etc.,) then scratch beneath the surface and you'll find traces of the Blues everywhere.

As I have said before, Progressive Rock was a conscious shift away from the Blues leaving other bands to pursue the Blues Rock route. This divergence of Rock and Blues Rock began in the naissant Psychedelic Rock/Underground scenes of the late 60s with Blues Rock being the initially more successful branching on both sides of the Atlantic. Without getting into pointless who-was-first and who-invented-Prog arguments, the fusion of Jazz, Folk, Classical, Avant Garde and Ethnic music into Baroque Pop/Psychedelic Rock (that soon became recognised as Progressive Rock) took hold in the UK and quickly spread throughout Europe while in the USA Blues Rock fused with native blues-based musical genres (Jazz, Country & Western, Bluegrass, etc.,) and became the dominant post-Psych genre. 

However, because even in the 1960s and 70s Music crossed the Atlantic at 2/3rds the speed of light both these forms of music were known of, and even popular to some degree on both sides of the Pond. But even then European Blues Rock bands were more successful in the USA than their compatriot Progressive Rock artists whereas in Europe they co-existed as two separate but equally popular genres. This is reflected in the paucity of 60s and 70s USA artists listed in the PA, which is not the result of any anglo-centric or euro-centric bias (as some would claim) but a stoic observation of how it was back then. Left-field artists such as Zappa and Beefheart are exceptions that prove the rule because they are not Blues Rock in the accepted meaning of the term even if they used Blues in their music. That we regard them as being part of the Progressive Rock movement (or scene) due to the avant garde jazz nature of their music.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is curious to note that  the number of actual Progressive Blues and Progressive Blues Rock artists is so small that they aren't generally recognised as specific genres of music anywhere. (notwithstanding Johnny Winter and The Groundhogs, both of whom used the Progressive Blues tag in 1968/9 but it wasn't widely adopted; or artist like Steve Miller who progressed Blues Rock outside the boundaries of the Blues format).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

However, I take a philosophical view of these things, while there are some artists here that I don't personal consider to be Progressive Rock I recognise that other people see things differently. I may put a case against the inclusion of suggestions that I don't regard as being part of the Progressive Rock canon, (and would use the predominance of Blues as part of that exclusion argument), and then leave it to others to make the counter argument, but win or lose I accept the final outcome without protest. Though [Zappa and Beefheart were] added to the PA before I joined, I would not have argued against their inclusion.

Edited by Dean - April 04 2016 at 04:17
What?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 11:11
A truly progressive musician if you ask me. His stuff is more progressive than many others on this forum.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 13:00
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

A truly progressive musician if you ask me. His stuff is more progressive than many others on this forum.

Certainly a 'progressive' musician in the way he approached blues rock and much of his music is more 'progressive' than other bands here .........but I don't think he's prog rock. 
But then I don't think some of the other bands like The Who, Led Zep, Blue Oyster Cult...etc really need to be here either but we have all had this discussion before......haven't we?

btw...I'm a fan of the Captain.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
jazz2896 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2016 at 20:57
I certainly wouldn't consider him prog-rock.  His music was certainly progressive, but I always thought of it as more just straight up avant-garde rock.  Of course that delves into the whole "avant-rock is progressive rock" argument, but I would never describe the good Captain to a newcomer to his music as "progressive rock".  That being said, him being in Avant/RIO is the most fitting place on this forum.
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 03:01
Yes is prog
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
resurrection View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2016 at 16:15
no