Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Dream Theater Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Dream Theater Appreciation Thread
    Posted: April 12 2016 at 19:49
So, any Dream Theater fans out there? I'm sure there are a lot of Dream Theater fans.
What do you guys think of Dream Theater? For me, they are the greatest prog/metal band of this era, with stunners such as Metropolis Part 2, Systematic Chaos, among many other absolutely brilliant albums!
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 21:08
Not into them as much now as I was when they first hit, but I do enjoy going back to them once in a while. I saw them open for Yes in London Ontario, they were VERY loud. But I think what I remember most is Mike Portnoy constantly spitting over the front of his drums, all over the stage. It was if he couldn't swallow and just had to get it out. Kinda disgusting being so close to the stage and all.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2016 at 22:04
Some years ago they were mostly untouchable around here... at least as far as prog metal goes. But now they seem to be rather unpopular. However, I do love them and they are my favourite prog metal band, and one of my very favourite band of all, along Pink Floyd, Yes, Mike Oldfield, and Rick Wakeman.

Edited by Dellinger - April 14 2016 at 21:52
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 00:47
I really enjoy them, I especially love Images and Words, Awake, and Train of Thought. I don't really like their stuff after Portnoy left much, but there are a couple new songs from them that are winners. 
Richey Edwards View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 05:09
They are one of my favourite bands.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 11:24
Pretty much the same for me, I enjoy their music and musicianship, very high level. What is lacking in recent years has been creativity, they are in a rut where it seems they are trying to find themselves again. At this point if they do not take a break and recharge the creative batteries, the latter part of their career will be forgettable.

Train of Thought is my fav album of theirs, that set the bar for prog-metal for me and recently have been very locked in with Falling Into Infinity, been getting lots of spins lately on the turntable.

I don't even want to mention the the last album, have only heard about an hours worth of it and have no interest in hearing the whole thing right now.

They should have taken Portnoy's suggestion and taken a 5yr break, which means right about now they would have been releasing a new album.

KimberlyPierre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 11:30
I will have to agree with you guys to an extent. I really think all their albums were top notch, and awesome (besides The Astonishing).

I mean, I've seen people bash SC-DT12, but I don't see what is wrong with those albums, actually.
I have enjoyed them and I'd prefer them over Images and Words and other albums.
"There is a sacredness in tears. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love."
-Washington Irving
DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 11:36
I've actually just began listening to Dream Theater. I've spun Images and Words a few times and I really like it, I'm surprised by the level of sophistication in all the notes, sounds and rythms. I clearly didn't expect to hear even classical influence.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 22:48
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Pretty much the same for me, I enjoy their music and musicianship, very high level. What is lacking in recent years has been creativity, they are in a rut where it seems they are trying to find themselves again. At this point if they do not take a break and recharge the creative batteries, the latter part of their career will be forgettable.

Train of Thought is my fav album of theirs, that set the bar for prog-metal for me and recently have been very locked in with Falling Into Infinity, been getting lots of spins lately on the turntable.

I don't even want to mention the the last album, have only heard about an hours worth of it and have no interest in hearing the whole thing right now.

They should have taken Portnoy's suggestion and taken a 5yr break, which means right about now they would have been releasing a new album.

Train of Thought is also my favourite album from them. Almost no weak track... and the few weaker ones are enjoyable just as well. And Train of Thought is among my very favourite songs from the band. Actually, 6 degrees would be my favourite, if it was a single disc album, and that disc was the first one (the one that is NOT the suite), but since it's a double album, and I almost don't like any song from the second disc, Train of Thought gets it's place as my favourite one. Falling into Infity doesn't do much for me, though. It still has a few very good songs and all, but it does sound weaker that the rest. Actually, I do enjoy the demos version, indeed many of the weaker tracks were better the way the band originally intended them. As for their last albums and Portnoy's departure, I have found them notably weaker indeed, and they should have taken that break... though I do have enjoyed a little bit better the listens I have given to their latest; at least they do vary their sound a litte bit more... still, I think that if this album had been done with Portnoy in the band, it would have been so much better, even if most of the music and story remained Petrucci's, Portnoy did give direction to the efforts in a better way.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 23:23
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Train of Thought is also my favourite album from them. Almost no weak track... and the few weaker ones are enjoyable just as well. And Train of Thought is among my very favourite songs from the band. Actually, 6 degrees would be my favourite, if it was a single disc album, and that disc was the first one (the one that is NOT the suite), but since it's a double album, and I almost don't like any song from the second disc, Train of Thought gets it's place as my favourite one. Falling into Infity doesn't do much for me, though. It still has a few very good songs and all, but it does sound weaker that the rest. Actually, I do enjoy the demos version, indeed many of the weaker tracks were better the way the band originally intended them. As for their last albums and Portnoy's departure, I have found them notably weaker indeed, and they should have taken that break... though I do have enjoyed a little bit better the listens I have given to their latest; at least they do vary their sound a litte bit more... still, I think that if this album had been done with Portnoy in the band, it would have been so much better, even if most of the music and story remained Petrucci's, Portnoy did give direction to the efforts in a better way.

One of the reasons why I think Train of Thought is weak is actually because of Honor Thy Father and Endless Sacrifice. HTF is a good song, but the song is too long. Trim the instrumental section in the middle at bit and it will be much better. And Endless Sacrifice...well, the verses are good and the bridge is awesome, but the instrumental section! What was supposed to a love song is ruined by the instrumental. I think Systematic Chaos or Black Clouds and Silver Linings is one of their strongest, but I've seen so much hate to it.
"There is a sacredness in tears. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love."
-Washington Irving
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 23:29
Originally posted by KimberlyPierre KimberlyPierre wrote:

One of the reasons why I think Train of Thought is weak is actually because of Honor Thy Father and Endless Sacrifice. HTF is a good song, but the song is too long. Trim the instrumental section in the middle at bit and it will be much better. And Endless Sacrifice...well, the verses are good and the bridge is awesome, but the instrumental section! What was supposed to a love song is ruined by the instrumental. I think Systematic Chaos or Black Clouds and Silver Linings is one of their strongest, but I've seen so much hate to it.

I like those two albums, Systematic Chaos is really an underrated album. I love Constant Motion and The Dark Eternal Night which are among their heaviest songs, being borderline thrash metal. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 23:31
YES YES YES
Those two songs you listed are the best!

What about Repentance and In the Presence of Enemies? Do you like those also?
-Washington Irving
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 09:48
I have no problems with SC, again more metal than not. BC&SL is also a big rotation album for me, but it is the last of them. DT12 and ADToE gets minimal plays but there are some decent songs....Production is what has been lacking since Portnoy left and Petrucci is trying to do it all and the quality is suffering.
Also getting bored of Rudess's sound, I like him very talented, artistic but again the creativity is lacking, especially when I think about his performances in SDoIT, Scenes and Octavarium.

Petrucci is also missing the mark by leaving out Myung in the mix.....he needs to be more forward.

The good thing is their back catalog is very good, enough that I can leave the recent releases alone.
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 14:50
So far, i'm having trouble with their new release, finding it boring overall.  I need to give it a more serious listen, though it's not a great sign when that seems like work.  Like some others above, I like DT at their heaviest and would add that I believe they don't do ballads well.  Still a great band, but finding myself returning to IAW, SFAM, and SDOIT, and TOT.
More heavy prog, please!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 16:37

Some years ago they were mostly untouchable alround here... at least as far as prog metal goes. But now they seem to be rather unpopular.

I wonder why LOLLOLThumbs Up

SWilson is next btw...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 22:02
Originally posted by KimberlyPierre KimberlyPierre wrote:

Yeah, for me Honor thy Father is also the weak link in the album... though if I listen to it I might just as well enjoy it a bit anyway, the other one I don't remember it's name, but it's the short ballad... however, once again it's not as bad as other ballads from the band anyway. Endless Sacrifice, however, is among the songs I do like on the album, I just don't see much wrong with it.

About Balck Clouds, that's also an album I like very much too... though it's perhaps the first one in which their sound started sounding tired and like... yeah I have heard this before... still, not so bad as with the post-Portnoy albums. And again, some of the songs are a bit weaker, but overall the whole album is enjoyable (despite some really terrible lyrics). But Systematic Chaos is indeed for me among their weaker albums... really, the only song that I find good here is "In the Presence of Enemies part 1"... but what a song that one is, though.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 22:07

I have no problems with SC, again more metal than not. BC&SL is also a big rotation album for me, but it is the last of them. DT12 and ADToE gets minimal plays but there are some decent songs....Production is what has been lacking since Portnoy left and Petrucci is trying to do it all and the quality is suffering.
Also getting bored of Rudess's sound, I like him very talented, artistic but again the creativity is lacking, especially when I think about his performances in SDoIT, Scenes and Octavarium.

Petrucci is also missing the mark by leaving out Myung in the mix.....he needs to be more forward.

The good thing is their back catalog is very good, enough that I can leave the recent releases alone.

I'm not sure how much is lack of creativity on Rudess' part, and how much is puting Dream Theater music in a box and not wanting to get out of it. I really loved what Rudess did on Steven Wilson's Grace for Drowning, and I really wish he would use some of that playing with DT... I mean, not all the songs, but on parts where it could help to give some diversity. He can surely play, and compose I hope, on many stiles... he should use them, what the band needs most right now is more variation in their songs.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 22:38
Agreed and agreed. Smile

Also, the only real kink for me is Rudess. Rudess is a brilliant, talented keyboard player, but I'd prefer Moore or Sherinian any day. I think Rudess and his keyboard solo's....well, I think he takes them too far. I think the majority of his solo's are: "Hey! Look how fast I can play!"

If Rudess does solo's like the one from The Best of Times, with his strings, I would find it more enjoyable. Although some of his solo's are good: A Nightmare to Remember, Beyond This Life, The Dance of Eternity, Blind Faith, and a few more, these just make me shake my head: A Rite of Passage (That bebot solo Unhappy), The Great Debate, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, This Dying Soul, Endless Sacrifice, among others.
-Washington Irving
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 11:21

I'm not sure how much is lack of creativity on Rudess' part, and how much is puting Dream Theater music in a box and not wanting to get out of it. I really loved what Rudess did on Steven Wilson's Grace for Drowning, and I really wish he would use some of that playing with DT... I mean, not all the songs, but on parts where it could help to give some diversity. He can surely play, and compose I hope, on many stiles... he should use them, what the band needs most right now is more variation in their songs.

Well there you have it.....by a country mile Steven Wilson is a much better producer than Petrucci will ever dream about being. Rudess is very good, but the production of recent DT albums brings out the boring in him. Dead
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 11:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Some years ago they were mostly untouchable alround here... at least as far as prog metal goes. But now they seem to be rather unpopular.

I wonder why LOLLOLThumbs Up

SWilson is next btw...

Ur funny dude.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>