FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedXTC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: XTC?
    Posted: April 13 2016 at 18:07
If Talking Heads are a PA band, why not XTC. If it's because of Brian Eno and Adrian Belew's involvement with the band at various times then what about Colin Moulding's work with Days Between Stations and, of course, Dave Gregory's with Tin Spirits and Big Big Train? Makes no sense...Sensing Working Overtime trying to figure this out!!!

Either way, I love PA and, for the most part, do an incredible job. An indispensable resource.  
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2016 at 18:15
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 03:52
They've been discussed a number of times as Raff has pointed out. One of my favourite bands but not a prog one and I'm not sure that what you've quoted is enough for them to qualify. Prog-related at best.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 05:40
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Sensing Working Overtime trying to figure this out!!!
The World is Full of Angry Young Men but Sgt. Rock is going to help...

This is an Everyday Story of Smalltown: It is a very safe bet that in the 12 years that this site has been in existence we have discussed every possible high-profile, well known band that anyone can think of that could possibly be added to the site in the Prog Related and Proto Prog categories. Day In, Day Out you can add to this a probably greater number of less well known and even down-right obscure ones that people thought should be here (This is Pop?) but didn't fit comfortably into one of the Prog sub-genres. In a Crowded Room we have deliberated, cogitated and digested all the relevant facts and even some irrelevant ones until there is No Language In Our Lungs; along the Ridgeway Path from the Towers of London to the Statue of Liberty and all ports in between we've listened, argued and carefully considered each suggestion on its own merits and from the perspective of the site as a whole. We've passed these up (and down) the Chain of Command of Generals & Majors for their advice and adjudication, and they in turn have even gone to the Mayor of Simpleton himself for his opinion when needed. Suffice to say, for all the popular not-quite-prog bands, we've done our War Dance around The Wheel & The Maypole and Sacrificial Bonfire so often that the English Roundabout resembles a Spinning Top... Some were added but many were not, so if The Affiliated didn't believe it was right to add them in all that time, and after all that History of Rock & Roll debate, then it is unlikely they'll be added at all.

Sorry, but That Is The Way

Peace,
Me and The Wind.
What?
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 07:44
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Sensing Working Overtime trying to figure this out!!!
The World is Full of Angry Young Men but Sgt. Rock is going to help...

This is an Everyday Story of Smalltown: It is a very safe bet that in the 12 years that this site has been in existence we have discussed every possible high-profile, well known band that anyone can think of that could possibly be added to the site in the Prog Related and Proto Prog categories. Day In, Day Out you can add to this a probably greater number of less well known and even down-right obscure ones that people thought should be here (This is Pop?) but didn't fit comfortably into one of the Prog sub-genres. In a Crowded Room we have deliberated, cogitated and digested all the relevant facts and even some irrelevant ones until there is No Language In Our Lungs; along the Ridgeway Path from the Towers of London to the Statue of Liberty and all ports in between we've listened, argued and carefully considered each suggestion on its own merits and from the perspective of the site as a whole. We've passed these up (and down) the Chain of Command of Generals & Majors for their advice and adjudication, and they in turn have even gone to the Mayor of Simpleton himself for his opinion when needed. Suffice to say, for all the popular not-quite-prog bands, we've done our War Dance around The Wheel & The Maypole and Sacrificial Bonfire so often that the English Roundabout resembles a Spinning Top... Some were added but many were not, so if The Affiliated didn't believe it was right to add them in all that time, and after all that History of Rock & Roll debate, then it is unlikely they'll be added at all.

Sorry, but That Is The Way

Peace,
Me and The Wind.

Clap
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 18:20
Sorry!!! Yeah, this has been discussed a few time already...

I'll check next time I start a thread. Oops.

That said, XTC should be a part of PA.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2016 at 21:52
Hi,

NP: This World Over
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 00:41

Why?
What?
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 02:08
Just a few thoughts on this:

I’d love to see XTC included here but, I have to admit, mainly because they’re one of my favourite bands, but they’re not what I would normally describe as prog. But even so, there are other factors to consider:

Indulge me for a moment. Their example brings me to one of my favourite bug bears: there is a common argument often voiced here, saying that if artists Z is included, why not artist Y? This question is inevitably shot down stating that this is an invalid argument. Now, to my way of thinking it most definitely IS valid, and cancelling it out by platitude still doesn’t make it invalid. Apart from being intimidating by arrogance and over handed, that’s just a lazy way out of an uncomfortable discussion that probably couldn’t really be won otherwise.

Back to XTC. As I said, their music is not what the most of us would describe as prog, but there is another angle: while they existed, at least in their middle and late phases, there was no one who sounded quite like them. They were pretty unique. Since then, their style has been copied by multiple other artists, a number of them present here on PA. So they’ve been hugely influential, which should somehow qualify them, in a weird kind of way. XTC are unique in that they simultaneously should and shouldn’t be included here, which somehow should almost automatically see them included. Sort of circular logic.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 04:06
All I know is that 12345 Senses working over time, and Generals And Majors, and though I really like G&M, the only band I can think remotely similar in style is Todd R's Utopia, during the same 80's time frame.
.......and I am stoked that Dave Gregory contributes to Big Big Train.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 08:51
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Why?

Far be it for me to disagree, and I don't wish to. I trust the votes and the choices made here and the reasons why and why not. I might not agree, but then life is not all wine and roses, and sometimes you even bang your head! (Ask Shirley MacLaine!)

I do think that there are times, when a band is so un-conventional, and different, and does express itself in very unique ways, that it could have a better chance at being in the Prog Archives lists.

The main concern that I have, is that there are a lot of examples of bands that sound the same for each album, and that makes them more progressive, than a very unusual and very "personal" styled band, like XTC, whose work, at times, borders on the crazy, silly ... and what? 

To me, this is sort of like saying Van Der Graaf Generator is progressive, but Peter Hammill isn't ... and that's just an odd distinction ... being that the difference between the two is illusory at best for all of us! It's the same person! Or as I like it better, KC is progressive and Robert Fripp on his  own is not, and he is far more experimental on his own than otherwise. 

Edited by moshkito - April 15 2016 at 08:52
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 12:30
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Just a few thoughts on this:

I’d love to see XTC included here but, I have to admit, mainly because they’re one of my favourite bands, but they’re not what I would normally describe as prog. But even so, there are other factors to consider:

Indulge me for a moment. Their example brings me to one of my favourite bug bears: there is a common argument often voiced here, saying that if artists Z is included, why not artist Y? This question is inevitably shot down stating that this is an invalid argument. Now, to my way of thinking it most definitely IS valid, and cancelling it out by platitude still doesn’t make it invalid. Apart from being intimidating by arrogance and over handed, that’s just a lazy way out of an uncomfortable discussion that probably couldn’t really be won otherwise.

The "If X then Y" argument is a lazy non-argument that has no redeeming points other than the recognition that band Y is a little bit like band X. It is rightfully shot-down in flames not because the counter-argument couldn't be won (and if you doubt that, then try me - one thing I can never be accused of is backing away from an uncomfortable discussion), but because it is presented as a conclusion (Band Y should be here) devoid of any justification or reasoning. 

Bands are judged on their own merits, not on the merits of another band that is vaguely reminiscent of them.

Perhaps a less offensive [less platitudinous, less clichéd, less intimidating, less arrogant, less over-handed/heavy-handed?] rebuff would be: If band X wasn't here what would your argument for band Y be?

Back to XTC. As I said, their music is not what the most of us would describe as prog, but there is another angle: while they existed, at least in their middle and late phases, there was no one who sounded quite like them. They were pretty unique. Since then, their style has been copied by multiple other artists, a number of them present here on PA. So they’ve been hugely influential, which should somehow qualify them, in a weird kind of way. XTC are unique in that they simultaneously should and shouldn’t be included here, which somehow should almost automatically see them included. Sort of circular logic.

Unfortunately being unique doesn't qualify a band for inclusion here. Being influential ON prog requires their influence to have made a contribution to the history of Prog music development... and that is tenuous to say the least.

What?
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 14:35
@ Dean: Let’s take an example, just for the sake of argument: Talking Heads and XTC aren’t all that similar, but they do have one important thing in common: to my mind their both about equally far away from what I see as prog or even prog related. But both were unique, influential, and have been widely copied in the past.

Now, Talking Heads are included, and I would argue that if they are, so should XTC be, because in spite of the musical differences, there are still a lot of similarities. I think that’s a valid argument, but if I use that, it doesn’t necessarily mean that I you would have to argue against XTC so much as you might feel obligated to defend the inclusion of Talking Heads.

That could open a pretty ugly can of worms and it’s understandable should you attempt to avoid the issue by playing the non-argument dismissal card. At the same time, please ask yourself honestly if this isn’t just an easy way of avoiding an unpleasant discussion. It's very much on the lines of "we've always done it that way."

To be clear, though, it isn’t just here that I have a gripe with that argument, but I’ve come across it in so many places that it annoys me that people tend to use it as such an easy way out. It's management talk. I’m really not bothered whether XTC are included here or not (although I wouldn’t mind); my major issue is with that argument. I still maintain that it’s arrogant, overbearing, and lazy.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 21:04

@ Dean: Let’s take an example, just for the sake of argument: Talking Heads and XTC aren’t all that similar, but they do have one important thing in common: to my mind their both about equally far away from what I see as prog or even prog related. But both were unique, influential, and have been widely copied in the past.
And you could make the same observation about Parliament-Funkadelic, or any number of other bands... 

Now, Talking Heads are included, and I would argue that if they are, so should XTC be, because in spite of the musical differences, there are still a lot of similarities. I think that’s a valid argument, but if I use that, it doesn’t necessarily mean that I you would have to argue against XTC so much as you might feel obligated to defend the inclusion of Talking Heads.

Aside from the immutable fact that once added a band cannot be removed so defending a band that is already here is both unnecessary and pointless, I never defend an inclusion here and have no obligation to do so. I will defend the team that added them whether I agree with their decision to add them or not. But that isn't the same thing. 

To be able to defend an addition I would have to know the precise justification that was used to add them in the first place. Since it is unlikely that I would know the rationale and thought processes used by every voting member of the team involved then all I can do is give my best guess at why a band was added. So unless I was privy to every part of the evaluation discussions I cannot actually say why a band was added therefore I cannot defend the addition itself.  

Following on from that, for me to agree with adding Band Y because Band X is here requires me not only know the precise justification why Band X were added, I also have to recognise that Band Y meets all same criteria in every detail. 

Now the problem with 'If Band X then Band Y' is that the parameters that makes the two bands similar are not necessarily the same parameters that were used to include Band X. 

Consider: 'IF The Moody Blues are here THEN XTC should be here'. Without further explanation or clarification people may either be scratching their heads trying to work out what the similarity between those two bands is, or they are coming up with an inventive list of possible similarities. But that is irrelevant. Even though there is common similarity between them, it doesn't matter what it is because it isn't one of the reasons why The Moody Blues were added here so I don't have to defend The Moody Blues addition. 

Now, by coincidence Supertramp shares the same 'trait', so the conditional statement can be expressed even more forcefully: 'IF The Moody Blues AND Supertramp are here THEN XTC should be here', making the 'argument' look even stronger and even more valid. But it isn't one of the reasons why Supertramp were added either so I also don't have to defend their addition.

Of course the giggle here is I know the criteria used to add Talking Heads because I was on the Admin Team at the time and approved their addition. So while I am not permitted to divulge anything that was discussed in private and can tell you that being "unique, influential, and have been widely copied in the past" was definitely not part of the decision process.  

That could open a pretty ugly can of worms and it’s understandable should you attempt to avoid the issue by playing the non-argument dismissal card.

If a can of worms exists then it was opened when Band X was originally suggested, evaluated and discussed. Band X has already survived the ordeal by imaginary worms.

I have compulsion to avoid the issue, I just see it as wholly irrelevant... 

By calling the addition of Band X an 'ugly can of worms' you are effectively saying the "IF...THEN..." argument implies that if Band Y are not added then Band X should be removed. And I don't accept that line of reasoning.

At the same time, please ask yourself honestly if this isn’t just an easy way of avoiding an unpleasant discussion.

Truthfully. No it isn't. Discussing why so-called controversial bands are here is a pointless exercise that goes nowhere because the Admins do not have the ability to delete a band even if they wanted to, but it's not something that I avoid because it is unpleasant. However, I'll probably not be overly enthusiastic about it because, frankly I don't get motivated that much about things I cannot change.

It's management talk.  It's very much on the lines of "we've always done it that way."

No it very much isn't. (To be pedantic it is closer to "we've never done it that way, nor ever will we.")

In management talk the "IF <conditional> THEN <consequence>" argument is invariably used as an argument against the conditional not as an argument in-favour of the consequence. And it has been used in that form here too as an argument against adding a band, and this too has been dismissed as a lazy non-argument.

In that form the argument would go: "IF we add XTC THEN we must add Squeeze" where the threat of having to add Squeeze should be enough to prevent the addition of XTC, which is dumb. There is no more reason to add Squeeze that is justified by the addition of XTC than there was to exclude Talking Heads because six years later someone would try to use their addition to justify the addition of XTC. 

When the IF...THEN argument is invalid in one form it is equally invalid in the opposite form.

To be clear, though, it isn’t just here that I have a gripe with that argument, but I’ve come across it in so many places that it annoys me that people tend to use it as such an easy way out. It's management talk. I’m really not bothered whether XTC are included here or not (although I wouldn’t mind); my major issue is with that argument. I still maintain that it’s arrogant, overbearing, and lazy.

If you have a problem with the argument then you should avoid it in the first place. If it always gets the same response then repeating it isn't going to get you different one no matter how lazy or overbearing you find it to be. The "IF X THEN Y" argument can be summarily dismissed without discussing why either X or Y should or should not be here, and that is the fault of the initial premise/argument, and not the people involved in the discussion. Make a better case by not using it, present a better argument that provokes a better discussion and give reasons that cannot be off-handedly dismissed, and best of all - do it on the merits of the band you would like to see added.

What?
hefdaddy42 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 21:27
Actually, Dean, you hit the points spot on. I couldn't find anything wrong with your statement at all.

Originally posted by DEAN DEAN wrote:

If you have a problem with the argument then you should avoid it in the first place. If it always gets the same response then repeating it isn't going to get you different one no matter how lazy or overbearing you find it to be.

+1
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2016 at 22:55
@Dean: Thanks for explaining your viewpoint in such detail , and I have to admit that it makes a lot of sense, so I stand corrected.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 04:35
The irony of artists and musicians, who created new sounds by breaking the rules, only now to be subjected to them.  Wink
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 05:43
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

The irony of artists and musicians, who created new sounds by breaking the rules, only now to be subjected to them.  Wink

Sure, but unless you have a means of rejecting certain artists PA dilutes one if its main functions, i.e. for people who like certain music broadly within the 'prog' spectrum to find related or similar music that they may also like. If the policy was "any band that anyone thinks should be added will be added" then before long progarchives.com becomes allprogressivemusic.com becomes anykindofmusicpeoplethinkisinteresting.com and ultimately allmusicexcepthesexpistols.com.  And then someone would add the Pistols.

In less apocalyptic terms the site would become not so much of a specialised resource for people who want information about broadly-defined 'prog' and more of a general music site.  I'm not privy to the reasons why PA was set up, but I don't think it's a big leap to infer that it was intended to be a specialised resource about prog. Given the site's persistence that appears to be a niche that enough people think ought to be filled.

Edited by Mascodagama - April 16 2016 at 05:46
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 10:14
Of course, you are right.  how silly it is of me to be ironic or satiric.
When I proposed my radio show SPACE PIRATE RADIO to the commercial stations in 1973, they wisely told me rock n' roll was the Eagles and Loggins and Messina and Jackson Browne:  not this Pink Floyd inspired space crap, like Tangerine Dream or Amon Duul II.  They wouldn't touch Genesis or Roxy Music, because it didn't fit the 'rules of criteria.' 

Of course, I should have listened to them.  They had the wisdom and made the decisions in their music consulting Star Chambers.  Foolish of me.  But I didn't.  I was young and arrogant and believed in the universality of this music.  So I persisted.  With my Camel and Soft Machine and Magma and Ash Ra Tempel
and Aphrodites's Child and Yes and Le Orme and Ange, etc.  Despite wiser, more professional media types who
said the future of music is not this "foreign noise' but good old fashioned rock n' roll, like ZZ Top.

What a mistake.  How wrong I was to try and redefine the borders of what music was and could be included in the playlist and what could not.  What a Fool, what a total Ass I was (and still am, obviously).  I could be very, very comfortable today, if I had only adapted like the shape shifting souls of media I dealt with for nearly a half a century.  Big media types.  In the know.  How lucky I was to cower in their shadow.

But not...  I wonder if keeping the broadcasts alive had any effect?  Probably not.

You cats and kittens, really, do your thing.  I have no argument with your board, your place of worship.  I really exalt in conversation and sharing of ideas.  It's called Communication.  I did it on the Wireless.  For years.  Made a lot of friends, some enemies, and dug every new musical discovery.

It's very Utopian.  I applaud you.  But I think this word "Prog" has gotten to be a problem for you.  In 1973,
when I described SPACE PIRATE RADIO as a "Progressive" radio show to the suits; import, foreign, heavy on the electronics and Freeform, the word PROGRESSIVE was bigger than it seems today.  All inclusive.  I think the word "Prog" has become like the word "God."  It means different things to different people.

It's probably unrealistic, but I would try and lose the labels.  The art doesn't seem to grow as much when it's been categorized.

Thanks for the good bits.  With love, I take my leave.  Got some work to do.  Smile

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 10:58
^ I certainly didn't want to denigrate your approach.  I think a radio show where you can tune in and hear music without any regard for genre or category is a great thing.  The best music broadcaster we've ever had in the UK, John Peel, had a show like that for more than 30 years. The only requirement for what he'd play was that it was new and exciting to him.  He turned me and countless others on to a lot of bands and artists we'd otherwise never have heard. He was much loved and he's much missed.

My point above was just that PA is doing a different job, but one that I think is also useful. It's about that part of the music lover's quest that's about "that was awesome; what's like it?". Which to me is the only function of genres at all, as a practical means of exploring particular areas of music. For my tastes a lot of the best music is that which is most resistant to neatly being slotted into a genre, but that doesn't mean genre doesn't have its place as a (limited) tool.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>