Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedXTC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 12:44
Maybe we should just dump the whole prog related category since it seems like those bands are here for bogus reasons based on a few of the 'erudite' posts regarding XTC's inclusion.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 16:56
Over time I've watched the discussions concerning XTC here, I've even become involved in them now and again, although I have no particularly strong views about their in- or exclusion.

But in general I have found the tone of these discussions strange. Let's face it, there are quite a number of weirder inclusions here, and I have the distinct impression that XTC's inclusion in particular is being blocked with a vehemence that almost seems personal.

Just my subjective impression, of course, but I can't help but wonder whether one or several people have some sort of personal gripe against them. Then again, I might be wrong.

Edited by npjnpj - April 16 2016 at 17:07
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2016 at 23:14
Maybe you are wrong.

I've never seen any negativity towards XTC. Many of us who do not think they belong here either like them or are fans of the band.
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 03:26
I think he's wrong. Most folks I know on here absolutely adore XTC, yet very few of them feel the band belongs on a prog site is all.

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 17 2016 at 03:26
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 10:11
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

My point above was just that PA is doing a different job, but one that I think is also useful. It's about that part of the music lover's quest that's about "that was awesome; what's like it?". Which to me is the only function of genres at all, as a practical means of exploring particular areas of music. For my tastes a lot of the best music is that which is most resistant to neatly being slotted into a genre, but that doesn't mean genre doesn't have its place as a (limited) tool.

And this is exactly what Guy was fighting at the time ... you could not "play" something else ... but in the end, you could, but most folks didn't because they only had ears for what "they knew" ... not what they DID NOT KNOW ... or have any interest in KNOWING!

Change, is about "change" ... and one wonders where the line on the sand is ... and when something new comes around, it won't have a chance ... can you imagine a XTC today, instead of 35 years ago? Everyone here will say ... what a bunch of weird folks !!! You call that music? 

Change, for me, almost means ... anything totally different, that does not have the same feel, or style as everything else. AGAIN, there are far too many bands listed in many places, that sound the same in every album, and people call them progressive, but a band like XTC that is very different in many albums ... does not get a proper listen, because most "songs" do not have any "recognizable" riffs and song construction, so we can call them "progressive" .

If you would like to read more about Guy, you can catch the Space Pirate Radio thread elsewhere, when some fans and listeners, still talk about what Guy did for more than 25 years, and I was there for only 7 of those (the first 7). You just do not have anything these days, that is as free form as that ... which breaks all rules, and allows you a chance to see/feel/understand the need for something that actually provides you with a perspective on the arts, and their abilities and work.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 11:47
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Change, for me, almost means ... anything totally different, that does not have the same feel, or style as everything else. AGAIN, there are far too many bands listed in many places, that sound the same in every album, and people call them progressive, but a band like XTC that is very different in many albums ... does not get a proper listen, because most "songs" do not have any "recognizable" riffs and song construction, so we can call them "progressive" .

That really, really, really ... Ermm ...really, really isn't what "progressive" means. 
What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 12:07
Progressive has a few definitions: moving forward, proceeding step-by-step, and in politics favouring rapid progress or social reform (OED).

I think that progressive rock draws on all of those ideas. I like to think of it in part as rock music that breaks or deviates from canonical rock parameters, or is non-generic rock. It can be synonymous with experimental rock or with rock-fusion.

Progressive jazz is defined as "an experimental, nonmelodic, and often free-flowing style of modern jazz, especially in the form of highly dissonant, rhythmically complex orchestral arrangements"
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 12:27
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Progressive has a few definitions: moving forward, proceeding step-by-step, and in politics favouring rapid progress or social reform (OED).

I think that progressive rock draws on all of those ideas. I like to think of it in part as rock music that breaks or deviates from canonical rock parameters, or is non-generic rock. It can be synonymous with experimental rock or with rock-fusion.

Progressive jazz is defined as "an experimental, nonmelodic, and often free-flowing style of modern jazz, especially in the form of highly dissonant, rhythmically complex orchestral arrangements"
Absolutely. However, if you consider your explanations of what Progressive Rock and Progressive Jazz are defined as, and then pick the OED connotation that best describes those definitions ... none of them actually fit. And that's a puzzle and that's why people get confused by this word "progressive". 

Yet, if we remove the recursive self-reference from the third definition it  can be rephrased as "favouring a modern, liberal or experimental approach". Now Progressive Rock, Progressive Folk, Progressive Jazz and even Progressive Dance can all be defined by this rephrased definition of the word "progressive". 

[edit:
"favouring a modern, liberal or experimental approach results in rock music that breaks or deviates from canonical rock parameters, or is non-generic rock. It can be synonymous with experimental rock or with rock-fusion."

"favouring a modern, liberal or experimental approach results in an experimental, nonmelodic, and often free-flowing style of modern jazz, especially in the form of highly dissonant, rhythmically complex orchestral arrangements"
]

What is of note here is this is a figurative use whereas "moving forward" and "proceeding step-by-step" are both literal. Because it is figurative it means that the music produced does not have to literally progress.

Edited by Dean - April 17 2016 at 12:34
What?
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 14:17
Interesting discussion going on here.
I just find XTC to be more "progressive" than most of the metal bands included on PA.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 14:27
I won't quote because I get a lot of code that needs cleaning up when I quote, but that makes sense, Dean.   

I will say that for me progressive (adjective) rock is not necessarily quite the same as Progressive Rock (noun). The latter is more of a style in and of itself, rather than an approach that seeks to if not break free from the rock tradition, free itself of the constraints of the rock tradition..

In progressive rock the music does not literally have to progress, but I tend to see it a progression away from the rock lexicon/ expectations of the rock genre (music that moved away from generic rock formulas by adopting the traits of other genres commonly). What also gets confusing is that modern Prog often emulates past Prog, so Progressive Rock may seem to have ceased to progress (retro Prog) from its roots. It is "Prog" generic. Most Prog today,I would think, is no less rock than it was in 70s, so there has not been a steady progression away from rock since its classic days, incidentally.

Anyway, to understand the meaning of the word progressive does not mean that one will understand the meaning of Progressive Rock or, of course, Progressive Jazz, but sheds more light on progressive music generally, I think.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 14:32
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Interesting discussion going on here. I just find XTC to be more "progressive" than most of the metal bands included on PA.

Perhaps XTC is less formulaic than most of the metal bands. I actually don't know XTC well, or much metal.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2016 at 15:15

Interesting discussion going on here.
I just find XTC to be more "progressive" than most of the metal bands included on PA.
I suspect the reason why XTC haven't been added to Prog Metal is because most metal bands included on the PA are more metal than XTC. 

Edited by Dean - April 17 2016 at 15:16
What?
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 02:54

If Talking Heads are a PA band, why not XTC. If it's because of Brian Eno and Adrian Belew's involvement with the band at various times then what about Colin Moulding's work with Days Between Stations and, of course, Dave Gregory's with Tin Spirits and Big Big Train? Makes no sense...Sensing Working Overtime trying to figure this out!!!

Either way, I love PA and, for the most part, do an incredible job. An indispensable resource.  

I think neither of these two are prog bands. Talking Heads is a New Wave band and a bit less prog related than XTC in my humble opinion. David Byrne's The Catherine Wheel is probably the only album out of this entourage that may be more or less regarded as prog.
A band should be included in PA, I think, because of its own work, not because of collaborations with other bands or artists.

I don't want to meddle in the discussion if XTC should be included or not. I only want to add one more album to your list of collaborations with others. This album might be something for you.
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 04:46
Pardon me, humble folks.  But you know the subtext of this discussion is slightly bigger than should XTC be allowed the Grace of getting a mention here.  Where should they be filed?  Really, who cares?  Either the music
moves you, enriches you, is important to you.  Or not  That is progressive on a personal sense.  Forget the cliff notes, unless you are writing a term paper.

"Dr. Wu-hu steps into the re-Tardis and the Big Blue Box lands in the Abbey Road recording studio for ATOM HEART MOTHER.  "I hope we don't do anything too Avant-Garde," says keyboardist Rick Wright.  "I wouldn't want to lose the Seven Levels of Criteria for Being Progressive." "You mean we wouldn't be included in the all important classification of what defines our art?" asks Nick Mason, thumbing through the latest issue of Auto Weekly.  David Gilmour considers the question, while checking his bank statement.  Roger Waters contributes his thoughts with a vivid hand gesture.

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 12:29
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

Pardon me, humble folks.  But you know the subtext of this discussion is slightly bigger than should XTC be allowed the Grace of getting a mention here.  Where should they be filed?  Really, who cares?  Either the music
moves you, enriches you, is important to you.  Or not  That is progressive on a personal sense.  Forget the cliff notes, unless you are writing a term paper.
There is no subtext. This is a web archive of Progressive Rock, not a repository for whatever subjectively moves you. If that concerns you then there are other web resources you may find a lot more suitable to your personal senses, such as Rate Your Music.

Cliff notes? Hmmm, the same vocabulary Pedro uses... how sweet. 
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 13:00

The irony of artists and musicians, who created new sounds by breaking the rules, only now to be subjected to them.  Wink

AND

"Dr. Wu-hu steps into the re-Tardis and the Big Blue Box lands in the Abbey Road recording studio for ATOM HEART MOTHER.  "I hope we don't do anything too Avant-Garde," says keyboardist Rick Wright.  "I wouldn't want to lose the Seven Levels of Criteria for Being Progressive." "You mean we wouldn't be included in the all important classification of what defines our art?" asks Nick Mason, thumbing through the latest issue of Auto Weekly.  David Gilmour considers the question, while checking his bank statement.  Roger Waters contributes his thoughts with a vivid hand gesture.

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile
Yet Chewbacca lives on the planet Endor...

What you have presented is a straw man argument, and not a particularly good one. 

WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink
What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 13:07
The classic Chewbacca defence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwdba9C2G14
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 19:15
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

[QUOTE=Guy Guden]

Cliff notes? Hmmm, the same vocabulary Pedro uses... how sweet. 

Now, now you don't have to be insulting.  Pedro has admitted he listened to my show for 7 years.  I shouldn't be blamed for my listeners; no more than you should be blamed for your readers.  Smile
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 19:35
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

There is no subtext. This is a web archive of Progressive Rock, not a repository for whatever subjectively moves you.  
Isn't this a contradiction?  Considering how many threads include what Forum Members are listening to ( Gentle Giant, Bon Jovi or Miles Davis ), What Are You Watching? etc. etc.  Seems to me, I see a lot of individuality on this board.  And a sharing of ideas and opinions that appear, on occasion, to not exactly mirror your own.

I find it disheartening to have to say to an Administrator, "let's keep it civil and constructive and friendly, please."  And if, on occasion, one loses perspective... at least try and not lose your sense of humour.  Smile

cheers!

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 19:50
^ What we talk about {as the examples you cite} and what is added to the database {what this thread is about} are two different things.   I believe Dean was pointing that out and not that there shouldn't be a discussion (even about adding them) or appreciation of a given band.   His response was concise and terse, but not uncivil or unfriendly.   And he's an ex-admin so don't expect your diplomatic pleasantries.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>