FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedXTC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 11:52
I think they should be here but so many have said nay, that I really don't give a crap anymore.  Having said that. I am reading Complicated Game.  It's a great read and I highly recommend it
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 12:08
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I think they should be here but so many have said nay, that I really don't give a crap anymore.  Having said that. I am reading Complicated Game.  It's a great read and I highly recommend it

Thanks for mentioning that book...did not know about it......I'll be ordering it for sure.

Oh....and I  agree about the inclusion here at PA.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 12:19
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

[QUOTE=moshkito]
 It all becomes ... I like it therefore it's good, and the rest is not up to snuff. I (STILL) do not like Gentle Giant, but I will never EVER, not appreciate the amazing and incredible musicianship in them, and what they did with it! 
Relevancy? Nothing here is about good or bad music, or whether you like something or not. If you think that is how this site and its members operate then you will never understand anything here. Stern Smile

This is absolutely correct.  As a former genre teamer I can assure you we do not base our votes on whether we like the music.  Not at all.  I voted Yes on stuff I thought sucked.  I voted No on some stuff I really loved.  It boils down to trying one's best to decide whether the music fits the genre definition collaboratively arrived at by multiple members, past and present.  The definitions are broad in most cases and occasionally can be revised.

I can't really speak much about the PR and PP categories as I have little experience in those areas but I can tell you that in most if not all genre categories, members go out of their way to be inclusive and if involved in a very difficult eval, to error on the side of the band. 

Sorry, I guess that wasn't much help about XTC, but I want to make sure you don't have the impression we simply "vote for the bands we like".  That's false. 

Edited by Finnforest - April 20 2016 at 12:59
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 21:27
Well, Dean thank you for that complete explanation on how you have this feature of PA set up.  When I came here, I was only aware of the boards for discussion, news and opinion.  I was not aware of PA being a tool in this way.  I think I will probably still be more likely to read, digest, comment and share in the areas I feel most comfortable.  It sounds like you all have put a lot of work into this operation and at my age, I know I wouldn't have the energy.  I'm jealous of your stamina.

Personally, I wasn't a fan of early XTC.  The Dukes of Stratosphere, however continue to delight and they have provided wonderful moments on so many SPACE PIRATE RADIO shows, especially mixed with the original artists they so lovingly parody.  NONSUCH was my personal favourite XTC album.  Songs like "Wrapped in Grey," "War Dance" and "The Smartest Monkeys" seemed to pop up on air at the most appropriate times.  Prior to that, 2 or 3 songs from THE BIG EXPRESS got the most airplay.

I too saw Random Hold open for Peter Gabriel in Santa Barbara at the Arlington Theatre.  Random Hold got airplay, more often on the non SPR shows I did on other nights.

Thank you again for the information.

cheers!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 11:48
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

[QUOTE=moshkito]
 It all becomes ... I like it therefore it's good, and the rest is not up to snuff. I (STILL) do not like Gentle Giant, but I will never EVER, not appreciate the amazing and incredible musicianship in them, and what they did with it! 
Relevancy? Nothing here is about good or bad music, or whether you like something or not. If you think that is how this site and its members operate then you will never understand anything here. Stern Smile

This is absolutely correct.  As a former genre teamer I can assure you we do not base our votes on whether we like the music.  Not at all.  I voted Yes on stuff I thought sucked.  I voted No on some stuff I really loved.  It boils down to trying one's best to decide whether the music fits the genre definition collaboratively arrived at by multiple members, past and present.  The definitions are broad in most cases and occasionally can be revised.

Finn ... my example is exactly what you said ... and I meant! Sorry for the misinterpretation. 

I do believe, that PA's ideas and thoughts on choices are fairly good, and I'm OK with it ... even if one or two probably should be there, and we ALL, have a small list in our hands. What I find strange is some folks thinking that I am against that process, which would make the example I put out ... weird!

Confused
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2016 at 12:11

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

[QUOTE=moshkito]

Finn ... my example is exactly what you said ... and I meant! Sorry for the misinterpretation. 

I do believe, that PA's ideas and thoughts on choices are fairly good, and I'm OK with it ... even if one or two probably should be there, and we ALL, have a small list in our hands. What I find strange is some folks thinking that I am against that process, which would make the example I put out ... weird!

Confused
Ah, no. What we are getting at is not that YOU don't do this, it's your insinuation and/or presumption that people here don't.
What?
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2016 at 20:30
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Thanks for mentioning that book...did not know about it......I'll be ordering it for sure.

Smile

I'm on the last few pages myself. Excellent read. Song Stories was more complete but this one goes into such great depth about just a select few songs. Andy's way of describing the creative process is riveting. This could be Volume 1 of several hundred and I'd read them all.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2016 at 03:02
So, at the risk of being on topic, are XTC to be included on PA?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2016 at 03:14
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

They haven't been suggested for prog related (as far as I know), which would be their only real shot. For that to happen a special collaborator needs to suggest them for inclusion to the admin team. The admin team will then listen intently to the music and subsequently decide whether or not XTC should be here.

Edited by Guldbamsen - April 23 2016 at 03:21
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2016 at 03:47
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

They haven't been suggested for prog related (as far as I know), which would be their only real shot. For that to happen a special collaborator needs to suggest them for inclusion to the admin team. The admin team will then listen intently to the music and subsequently decide whether or not XTC should be here.

I've yet to see compelling case made that would convince an SC to suggest them.

I think they should be here but so many have said nay, that I really don't give a crap anymore.  ::snip::
 :: snip::
Smile
It doesn't matter how many people think they should or should not be here, additions are not by a poll or popular-vote and PR suggestions to the Admin are not by majority-vote. It is only when the Admins evaluate a PR suggestion from an SC that a vote is taken, and since there are 4 Admins who would vote on PR additions then a 3 yes votes are required... So basically you need to convince 4 people (1 SC and 3 Admins) that XTC should be here, and that requires presenting a case for why they should be here that goes way beyond "I think they should be here" and "Well, Talking Heads are here...".

What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2016 at 03:50
^ Or an SC can spontaneously decide to submit an artist for ProgRelated evaluation.   But that hasn't occurred since the Carter administration.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2016 at 19:35
Politics.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 00:44
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Politics.
Bollocks. Stern Smile

I've gone to extraordinary lengths to explain everything here and all you've got is a snarky one-word response that is not only wrong, it's unhelpful and frankly, disappointing. If it is that difficult to present a good case for XTCs inclusion here then there is little hope for them. 

Metallicaca lost the popular vote here and if we took a poll today I'm fairly confident they'd lose it again. They are here because three people made a convincing case for their addition. It wasn't easy: the initial discussions ran for 14 pages, an SC proposed them to the Admin Team but the site-owner vetoed the addition (as is his right ). Then followed further threads and discussions that pushed the total page count to over 50 (which at 20 posts per page is over 1,000 posts) that lasted over a year. They were proposed again, the Admin Team voted in favour and they convinced the site-owner. Metallicaca were added, the site didn't implode, the world didn't end and sales of ice-skates in Hell didn't suddenly pick up, moreover no one tried to shoehorn in Megadeth or Slayer on the back of them.  
What?
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 03:03

The History of Rock 'n' Roll Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF3Rzdb1O8w
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 05:31

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I've yet to see compelling case made that would convince an SC to suggest them.

I think they should be here but so many have said nay, that I really don't give a crap anymore.  ::snip::
 :: snip::
Smile
It doesn't matter how many people think they should or should not be here, additions are not by a poll or popular-vote and PR suggestions to the Admin are not by majority-vote. It is only when the Admins evaluate a PR suggestion from an SC that a vote is taken, and since there are 4 Admins who would vote on PR additions then a 3 yes votes are required... So basically you need to convince 4 people (1 SC and 3 Admins) that XTC should be here, and that requires presenting a case for why they should be here that goes way beyond "I think they should be here" and "Well, Talking Heads are here...".

Oh, thanks. It's no bother really if XTC are here or not (I can always hoof off to the All Music Guide). But the compelling case would be interesting. Prog bands like ELP and XTC... now we are getting slightly bizarre... ;) Heh, it'd be amusing if the Dukes Of Stratophear were included but not XTC.  Wink
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 19:41

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Politics.
Bollocks. Stern Smile

I've gone to extraordinary lengths to explain everything here and all you've got is a snarky one-word response that is not only wrong, it's unhelpful and frankly, disappointing. If it is that difficult to present a good case for XTCs inclusion here then there is little hope for them. 

I didn't mean that in a snarky fashion. Far from it, actually. Politics is the art of pulling people, persuading people, convincing people that your point of view is correct or prudent. Politics exists everywhere there are people. Just a fact. Not a condemnation.

And yes, you have been VERY courteous and informative about the process. I'm sure you tire of explaining things to people like me so I appreciate your patience and apologize for the one word comment. I thought it summed things up nicely.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 20:08
Interesting side note - in the book "Complicated Game", when the author/interviewer tells Andy Partridge that the guitar solo on "2 Rainbeau Melt" (Fuzzy Warbles Vol. 7) reminds him of Robert Fripp, he admits he has maybe heard half a dozen songs with Robert Fripp on them. He doesn't own a King Crimson album or any album with Fripp on it. He didn't know that Fripp played on Bowie's Heroes or Scary Monsters. He does love the solo on 21st Century Schizoid Man though.

On the other hand, one of his biggest influences was Be-Bop Deluxe.

Just some interesting facts that may or may not influence one's opinion as to whether they are Prog or not.

Personally, the last time this was discussed I was all in for their inclusion. Now I say no way. I don't want all my favorites to be considered Prog! I would feel so one-dimensional!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 10:57
^ It surprises me a little that Partridge doesn't own any KC or any album with Fripp......I would think he would be an audiophile and into a lot of Brit music styles (apparently influenced by Bill Nelson and Be Bop) based on his great songwriting and his apparent knowledge of pop styles.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234