Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best way to acquire classic/old out of print CDs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest way to acquire classic/old out of print CDs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to acquire classic/old out of print CDs
    Posted: April 18 2016 at 21:51
I just started up my collection this year and I'm young so I wasn't around when the classics were being released.. Recently I went to my local Tunes store (30min away) and the pickings were very very slim. I managed to get a set of Led Zeppelin 1 to 4, Fleetwood Mac - Rumors, The Doors - Soft Parade, and Yes - Fragile for around 30$ which wasn't bad... but.. and this is a big but.. the quality of the packaging is horrible. The booklets are all bare minimum and the artwork isn't even the same for the Zeppelin albums. I guess I now "own" the music which is nice but these CDs look ugly next to the rest of my modern releases. 

What's the best way for me to go about getting quality classics? Any tips would be great. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 22:36
Piratebay and similar freebies. Just kidding. I'm all for forking out money for legit copies to support artists but my love of prog and metal has forced me to face many gaps in availability for obscurities that have become suddenly popular in the internet age. Don't know the answer but share the frustration. One idea i have is that sites like Prog Archives which is the best prog site in the freekin WORLD could position itself as the patron saint of all things prog and create its own record label to release all those underground classics that just haven't been picked up yet. THere's a crap load of kick ass prog that hasn't even seen the light of day on CD yet much less a proper remastered format with all those nice bonus tracks. Just an idea but one worth investigating IMHO :)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 22:41
BTW my buddy Ashratom from RYM has maintained this blog for years and has a gazillion recommendations for reissues of obscure psych and prog albums that go far beyond my comprehension. He has taken the prog thing to new levels and has created an EXCELLENT resource despite haven given it up recently

CD Reissue Wish List: News
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2016 at 23:02
One can find many classic rock and prog rock on e-bay and Amazon on the used sale lists.
Just do a search when you get there.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 04:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

One can find many classic rock and prog rock on e-bay and Amazon on the used sale lists.
Just do a search when you get there.
This. Plus Record Fairs and other purveyors of used albums.
What?
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 07:10
Let me ask you, before making any suggestion - do you want only the music or is it a must you get the "physical" thing?
Because you know, probably better than me, these days one can buy the digital files online, sometimes with better-than-CD quality (Hi- Res audio, in all its variants)
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 10:12
It takes work, man, work.....I dig thru cut-out bins, travel to record shows, scout out local music shops (especially used shops)......I've wanted some albums for years but refuse to shell out the extortionate prices (plus shipping), so I wait until I physically find a copy.  It takes work, man, work.....and patience....and research.  Found the second Argent record for a buck in a bin last week.....I'd wanted that album for a loooong time.....makes the find that much sweeter. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Bucklebutt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 18:28
I'm looking for the physical thing, something I can show my kids or nephews (if I ever have any). I remember looking through some of my uncles CD collections and just being amazed by the art work.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 18:29
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

It takes work, man, work.....I dig thru cut-out bins, travel to record shows, scout out local music shops (especially used shops)......I've wanted some albums for years but refuse to shell out the extortionate prices (plus shipping), so I wait until I physically find a copy.  It takes work, man, work.....and patience....and research.  Found the second Argent record for a buck in a bin last week.....I'd wanted that album for a loooong time.....makes the find that much sweeter. 

Well this seems to be the case. I do enjoy myself a good treasure hunt though!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2016 at 18:32
Looks like the search is on... thanks for the tips guys
Blinkyjoh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 12:41
i have found a ton of great cds at thrift stores like Value Village here in canada, especially one not far from my work.
maybe 50-100 cds including gabriel, collins, genesis, yes, king crimson. 

it's actually becoming a problem. I bought Styx and Sting cds and i don't even particularly like them much :D

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 13:08
Online, Discogs is a good place. Mainly collectors selling to other collectors. And if you're patient you can often get better prices than you would find from Amazon or Ebay sellers.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 13:16
I recommend building the infamous weedtrap known for catching old longhaired freaks and their crates of colourful vinyl. You will need weed, string and a huge box (with airholes).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 13:30
Ahh the op asks for cds
Damn...
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 15:47
Originally posted by Blinkyjoh Blinkyjoh wrote:

i have found a ton of great cds at thrift stores like Value Village here in canada, especially one not far from my work.

I was going to mention this. You'd be surprised at what you can find at used clothing stores and garage/yard sales. That's for all the pre-2000s stuff. If you like a current act you should be a good boy and order the CD online.
Magma America Great Make Again
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 16:03
On a more serious note: I second all the guys recommending second hand music shops, garage sales and buying from folks online. There are quite few people (presumably at their wits' end?) willing to part with large quantities of their pristine prog collections for the mere price of a few chickens.

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 16:13
^ I preferred the infamous weed trap.  I'm glad to see you include airholes for humane trapping.  It's very important for breathing, and to ensure the joint doesn't go out.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 18:00
^ I would not want the air holes too big as to keep most of the smoke in longer...

As others have mentioned, I love stopping at thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales, etc... and found good stuff in decent shape dirt cheap.  Also, I go to a few record shows that come around every year.
 Post Reply Post Reply