Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChromus - Progressive Rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chromus - Progressive Rock
    Posted: April 19 2016 at 19:46
CHROMUS 
The 7-member progressive-metal rock band CHROMUS is the brain-child of former Columbia Records-CBS International and A&M Recording artist, Philip D. (Peter) Davis (“Bighorn” & “Johnny Koonce”). In the summer of 2008, Phil was on vacation in Mazatlan with his family and vocalist Scott Karnas. Phil was asked to play at a local bar and invited Scott and Phil's son, Max, to join in. Accompanied by Max on guitar and Phil on piano, Scott demonstrated his vocal talents, and the concept of CHROMUS began to take shape. Phil finished his recording facility, BrickHouseStudio, and shortly thereafter, CHROMUS began to record their debut album. Rounding out the lineup is Mike Peterson ("The best drummer I know!" says Phil) together with Phil's longtime songwriting partner, Don Bird. Don plays bass & keyboards and is an accomplished songwriter in his own right. Brian Cokeley (Inside Out Music & ProgRock Records recording artist with “Presto Ballet”) adds stratospheric vocals, guitar, & keyboards to the group. Last but not least, Gordo Lynn (percussion) assists in production, engineering, & mixing. Born in the studio, this talented collection of musicians has begun their journey together, writing & recording 12 original songs. CHROMUS spins one interesting story into another, sharing not only their life experiences, but illuminating issues which the listener will not just relate to, but ROCK to! These "Tales of Titans" will lead you on a trip of good & evil, spirituality & worldliness, temptation & redemption. These are not "Sally Loves Johnny" songs; this is music which trustfully deserves repeated listens with no boredom or disinterest. CHROMUS has just completed their first album and eagerly await the public's response. Give these songs a listen and share the epic search..... CHROMUS may have found just what you are looking for! 

Band has released 2 full length albums:

"Chromus" 

Release date: November 12, 2011
  • Label: Brickhouse Records
1. Tales of Titans (5:36)
2. Rain (3:51)
3. Scream (3:32)
4. Under the Ruins (5:46)
5. Avalon (4:45)
6. Disillusion Man (4:09)
7. Jargonnot (4:13)
8. Majesty (5:01)
9. Step Up (3:55)
10. Prologue (1:34)
11. The Gate-Epilogue (9:22)

"Chromus II"

Release date: April 19th 2016

1. Gates Of Hell
2. Mother Of Pearl
3. The Fall
4. Six
5. Break The Chain
6. Siren’s Song
7. Visqueen
8. Preamble
9. The Chase
10. Momentary Heroes
11. I’m Dying
12. Jerusalem
13. Rocking
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 11:00
They were evaluated three years or so ago based on the debut album, and were rejected in Crossover after first being tried in Heavy Prog: http://progfreak.com/Chromus-151359.html?path=pa/recent. The second album doesn't sound much different to my ears - more like plain hard rock with a touch of alternative metal than prog tbf. A re-evaluation based on the second album is a possibility I suppose, but I can't imagine that the outcome would be any different.

The first album is on bandcamp: https://chromus.bandcamp.com/album/chromus.

A quick listen to short samples from it can be also had via cdbaby: https://www.cdbaby.com/cd/chromus.

Can't say that the vocals help much. Ermm
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 11:59
Dave, no need to revive this since you feel there was no "progress" Wink - thanks for your hard work.

If you felt there was a band that needed re-evaluating you can always drop us a line.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2017 at 13:47
Thanks Thanos. Smile

The only reason I posted here now was that there weren't any replies to the suggestion, and the original evaluation appears to have been initiated via the collab zone (no other suggestions in the public forums were revealed by my search). I just wanted to clear it up out here so that anyone else who thought about suggesting them, and found this thread after doing a forum search, would realise that they would most likely be wasting their time. I don't like seeing these unanswered topics in the New Suggestions part of the forum, and every year at around this time I tend to work my way through them in date of entry order. It would be preferable if a proper collab with more widespread prog knowledge than myself were to deal with them, I know...but better someone like me deal with them than nobody at all. Embarrassed
 Post Reply Post Reply