FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater at The Orpheum - April 19 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dream Theater at The Orpheum - April 19 2016
    Posted: April 20 2016 at 06:45
Hello all - let me preface this by saying that I am not a DT fan, had never heard anything of theirs except Images and Words, and hadnt heard that in a good couple decades or so.  My drummer is a fan, and I went along to see what the fuss was about.  Let me also say, my friend told me that this was not a shining moment for DT, and not to get my hopes up too high.

First thing i have to say is that these guys are all monster players, well, hard to tell with the keys guy, but ill give him the benefit of the doubt on that.  And the vocalist had surprising range and timbre.

So, here are a few impressions from a avid music fan and musician, but not a DT fan.

1. There seemed to be two bands on the stage, kind of opposite from each other - the bass/guitar/drums power trio, who were doing some great stuff, in a few moments truly mind-boggling stuff.  the other band was the keys and vox - which to me was pretty schlocky.

2. I felt like DT is what Styx would be like if they were really good musicians

3. They only played this one album, and more and more as the show went on, I was convinced that Dennis DeYoung was an uncredited songwriter.  They should have picked Tommy Shaw instead.

4. The only thing worse than a keyboard player standing still behind banks of keys, is a keyboard player trying to look cool. Also, not every song needs a keyboard intro and outro - ending on a single note as the the keyboard player looks significantly out at the audience under a single spotlight.

5. The drummer was really great - i know he is not the original, who is lionized, but he was very very good.

Im glad i saw it - i dont think it is representative of DT in general - but i kept hoping they were doing an ironic parody.  
Atlas Cube View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2016 at 14:25
Thanks for the review. I've been listening to them for a long time, but I share a lot of your opinions.
 Post Reply Post Reply