Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow to get into jazz (/JRF)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 19:20
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

I'm having two weeks off of school and so I'll have plenty of time to listen. An album I liked is Modern Jazz Quartet - Third Stream Music, because it seems like composed mostly and not too much free improvisation, which will take some time to grow on me.

Great idea, maybe this --

Blues on Bach.jpg

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 19:32
Just bought

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady
Herbie Hancock - Sextant

Always filling gaps :)
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 03:10
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Just bought

Charles Mingus - The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady
Herbie Hancock - Sextant

Always filling gaps :)

If you like Sextant (I think you'll love it), Crossings is just as outstanding (less Gleason electronics ghizmo though) and you can also try Mwandishi (too bad that artwork is so bland, though).... they're a three of a kind)
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 06:03
I already have Mwandishi & Crossing and like them both.
Ian

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 07:12

I already have Mwandishi & Crossing and like them both.

sextant is one notch up, IMHO, just like Crossing was one notch up from Mwandishi.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 13:20
^ Bennie Maupin ruling on the kazoo

Edited by Mascodagama - April 25 2016 at 13:21
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2016 at 05:59
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

^ Bennie Maupin ruling on the kazoo

Bennie adds so much depth on Mwandishi, but on Bitches Brew as well...
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2016 at 08:50
A fine album (yes it IS an album's-type-genre) is Soultrane - John Coltrane particualrly the number Good Bait.

Btw traditional jazz is 12 bar based jazz, be bop is has a theme or head there after the improvisation develops - or not... big band is precision arranged stuff, very different from be bop.

You can get a life time of adventure and indeed some very hard core stuff with Duke Ellington - not just the Newport Festival gig... his pal Count Basie has loads of good stuff.

My favourite is Miles. Check the Cookin' Steamin, Relaxin' and Workin' albums compiled from 2 sessions. These are available in hi res though I've not seen them. But these with his band including Coltrane have an inventive melodic attitude rarely equalled. This was when he recorded for the Prestige label all recordings compiled in a box set that really tells a story of 40s and 50s NY(mainly) based jazz. His recordings for Columbia such as Kind of Blue (is to jazz what The Dark Side of The Moon is to progressive rock)... Miles uses new techniques and the music is intimate and sublime.

If you need (you do) quality guitar music in jazz then that means Joe Pass. The Viruoso 5 CDs (3 single) 1 double explores 2 of his three primary existences. Solo (exquisite melody via fingerstyle jazz) and his fine band work (same guys for years). His other area is collaborations with trumpeter JJ Johnson and some albums with Ella Fitzgerald.

Fusion - well after a whole lotta cool jazz hearing fusion with a rock back beat made me reaize why the jazz nuts disliked it so much. It was like a constant banging where there used to be nuance and suggestion. Still a good bit of Stanley Clake (School Days) never hurt anyone.

Charlie Mingus has 2 versions (now) of Mingus Ah Um. This is his Kind Of Blue . DSOTm you get the idea... The old LP is wonderful intimate album and the remastered version on 2 CDs is that a bit more and another album. Both versions are well worth having piling up the collection of albums.

Charlie Parker is prbably best represented (and I am very willing and happy to take advice here) but a 1 CD by doco producer Ken Burns is one of the best recordings of his I have heard. His recordings mainly exist in from the 40s and are often very far from hi fi. But his sax was a unique instrumental voice and Miles began his career with Mr Parker. Perhaps if anyone's keen the multi CD studio recordings are a worthwhile purchase?

Now I know free jazz gets an, er, interesting reputation. Heaven knows it is one of the last forms I really want to listen to - Coltrane's Ascension really is not the everyone makes up noise as you go along but a highly technical suite of music. But it is not welcoming. Its as unsentimental as you can get in music and probablly good to put on to get rid of unwanted house guests.

Still Coltrane used a little free jazz in some latterday releases by his wife Alice. He had some marvelllous tunes and used the dissonance to transition between pieces. I'd try Soultrane and Love Supreme (Magma covered that) first though.

However free jazz pioneer Ornette Coleman (beaten up once at least for his free jazz back in the peace loving '60s) has a marvelous and melodic album called Love Revolution. An interesting little game can be played with that. It's called spot the Pink Floyd sax lick as here and there a telling phrase makes it's origins to Dick Parry known.

The things is with jazz is that it has been around for just over 100 years and gone through genre defining eras. There has been some new things such as acid jazz but it seems like the whole spectrum from New Orleans to Swing, Be Bop, Cool, Fusion has been set. I'd go for tha major players and either the recommednded albums or a good anthology to get an idea of someone's music. You may, as ever stop with one or two or move through someone's career.

Where to start or stop with Oscar Peterson for example? He did a very interesting album with Joe Pass. Porgy and Bess with him on Clavichord and Pass on guitar. It's interesting but the medieval clavinet is a little teeth grating for me. Not quite as much as  the rather rare Mozart (Glass) Harp Concerto but still one more regarded as an adventure than a mainstay. Pass is, as almost always, superb.

Theloious Monk's Brillaint Corners is in many ways both an adventure and mainstay type album.

What's the preferred lead instrument? Sax, trumpet? Piano? Guitar, bass drums. A dozen albums won't do it... trust me. Big band? Small band? Me I like small bands. I actually prefer Miles second quintet though his first with Prestige may be the most unbeatable.

Have fun. ;)

DDPascalDD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2016 at 09:38
After reading this and all other comments I kind of get a little grip on jazz history, thanks guys.
I like a small band too, preferred instrument is piano and guitar. I'm now trying all kinds of things and all I can say is that I'll need quite some time to get into it.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2016 at 13:20
I don't listen to much jazz at home, but I love it live. A totally different approach from going through classic styles and albums is to look at the programme of some local clubs and venues, check on youtube the odd song from a band that comes up when you have time, and if you like it go.
I have seen and enjoyed a lot of "random" live jazz in this way.
As somebody wrote before, most jazz is for the moment in which it is played.
Small venues often mean good sound, and you've got to be able to play your instrument well if you want to do jazz, that's some ingredients for a good live experience.

Edited by Lewian - April 26 2016 at 13:23
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2016 at 13:26
Small venue live jazz is definitely the best way to experience it.
Ian

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2016 at 13:42
^ Absolutely, the best way to experience jazz is definitely live. It's one of my rules of jazz that when you go and see a band and you don't have their CD, then you buy it because they were great, the CD will ALWAYS disappoint. I mean it could be an excellent CD, but you can't record that alchemy.

I still buy the CDs though

Edited by Mascodagama - April 26 2016 at 13:43
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2016 at 18:29
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Where to start or stop with Oscar Peterson for example? He did a very interesting album with Joe Pass. Porgy and Bess with him on Clavichord and Pass on guitar. It's interesting but the medieval clavinet is a little teeth grating for me. Not quite as much as  the rather rare Mozart (Glass) Harp Concerto but still one more regarded as an adventure than a mainstay. Pass is, as almost always, superb.

Great post of some of the Jazz background!  I always enjoyed Oscar Peterson collaboration with Milt Jackson (vibraphone) on the album Very Tall.  So cool...

Thanks to this thread I have gotten back into some of the jazz albums that I have not listened to in a while, Charles Mingus' Ah Um and others.  Also did not know of a sister web site called Jazz Archives, which is now added to my favorites list.

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 05:24
Speaking of live, once upon a time - which happened to be about the first time I saw Yes at MSG on the Union tour I nearly also got to see Joe Pass down in the Village. Heard about that gig and was down there very quick, especially for me. A bouncer opened the door I saw Pass for a few seconds then the door shut. Not even oxygen was getting in there and certainly not me.

Fastest and briefest gig I ever saw.

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2016 at 11:29
Went to see Gogo Penguin is Boston last night, heavy driving minimalist jazz trio from Manchester UK, was about 100 people there all standing, grooving along, really good night out.
Ian

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 03:42

Went to see Gogo Penguin is Boston last night, heavy driving minimalist jazz trio from Manchester UK, was about 100 people there all standing, grooving along, really good night out.

Glad you loved it..Smile. As I told you on the other side, I will do the same (I'm sure) on May 13th in Liège.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2016 at 09:49
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Just realized that I know no(thing about) jazz and I wondered where to start. Is jazz even an album-genre?
I reckon fusion could be easier to get into if one is familiar with prog.

So simply I'm asking what kind of artists/sub-genres there are and which are recommended to start with.

To me, it's all music, and expression, and a "definition" has a way to take away from its freedom and exemplary visualization and flight of inner fancy.

I mean ... I don't know how I can tell you that Miles Davis does not trip up my mind any more or less than Amon Duul 2 does ... I prefer Amon Duul 2 as I am more rock oriented, but that scream/cry/comment from the heavens asking for you to "listen" ... is just as valuable as anything else in music.

My only recommendation is ... stop worrying about it being anything and creating "barriers" in your definitions of music ... as soon as you do this, you lose a lot of the ability and interest for hearing different things, and that is one thing you do not want to do to any ART out there!

Make your choice ... go for the soul of it all ... or quit right now?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 15:18
I would like to recommend:

Dzyan-Time Machine
Dedalus-Dedalus
Passport-Doldinger
Passport-Cross-Collateral
Giger Lenz Marron-Beyond
Terje Rypdal-What Comes After
Contraband-Time And Space
Spyro Gyra-Spyro Gyra
Kristian Schultze Set-Recreation
If-If 3
Colosseum-Valentyne Suite

Edited by presdoug - May 08 2016 at 15:19
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 20:37
Was at the release party for Nik Bartsch Mobile - Continuum in New York on Friday at the Rubin Museum. Small venue, 200 seats, sold out, all acoustic set, no amplification, Piano, bass sax/contrabass sax, drums & percussion. The full new album played for 1 hr 15 min and a 15 minute encore. Stunningly wonderful performance with pristine sound, crowd absolutely rapt, completely silent with no distractions until the piece ended to a standing ovation. Had a wonderful time, one of the best concerts in recent memory.
Ian

Wirebender View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2016 at 14:27
Late to the party, but better late than never.

Some great recommendations of both masterpiece albums and classic recordings.  Here's a few interesting ones that might have been overlooked:

Charles Mingus -- Ah Um (ahhhhh)
Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich -- The Drum Battle (two of the greatest percussionists of all time)
Stan Getz -- anything from the mid 50s through to 1963s Getz and Gilberto (a classic sound with the butteriest sax you've ever heard)
Stan Getz and Lionel Hampton -- Hamp and Getz (vibraphone with captivating sax)
Herbie Hancock -- Empyrean Isles (uniquely perfect)
Yusef Lateef -- Eastern Sounds (beautifully unique instrumentation)
Louis Armstrong -- Night Train (greatest pianist of all time)
Eric Dolphy -- Out To Lunch (free jazz)
The Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas (the perfect holiday album)
Kamasi Washington -- The Epic (a hugely ambitious 2015 release)

Enjoy!!

Edited by Wirebender - December 11 2016 at 14:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123