Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

And You and I live - which version?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which live version is the best?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [5.71%]
4 [11.43%]
14 [40.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.57%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [20.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: And You and I live - which version?
    Posted: April 24 2016 at 09:39
I have 15 live versions of And You and I on my iPod (and a number more on CD that I haven't yet transferred over).  Which is your favorite?

Edited by emigre80 - April 24 2016 at 09:40
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 09:41
I'm a complete sucker for pretty much anything off of that symphonic album.

I'll take that one

Edited by micky - April 24 2016 at 09:41
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 09:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'm a complete sucker for pretty much anything off of that symphonic album.

I'll take that one

I have to agree with you about that album. Astonishing.  But the version of AYAI on Live at Montreux is completely amazing.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 09:46
I'll check that out then.. Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 10:01
ahh...  I just checked I don't have that album actually.  So I don't think I've ever heard it. I'll have to youtube it then. 

I've never really been a live album kind of guy actually. Really only 'rock and roll' live albums float my boat generally.  I'll take your high praise as a recommendation worth taking.  I do adore the Symphonic album and I did love the 3 CD live Yes The Word Is live but generally I like the studio versions of Yes songs best.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 10:20
Why exactly is ABWH for the "perversed' among us?? I've never understood the beating they took, I find it to be an amazing Yes album...and it IS Yes.

But, I'll have to do some serious listening to get through all 10 versions you listed. Suffice to say, I love the song so I'll like any version.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 10:23
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Why exactly is ABWH for the "perversed' among us?? I've never understood the beating they took, I find it to be an amazing Yes album...and it IS Yes.

But, I'll have to do some serious listening to get through all 10 versions you listed. Suffice to say, I love the song so I'll like any version.

I do enjoy ABWH, and I do agree it's Yes - I've listened to that album a whole lot over the past few years and there are some great Yes songs on it - but their live version of AYAI is lacking something, I just can't put my finger on it....oh, wait, I can - it's lacking Chris Squire's bass.  So it's a decent live version but it would be pretty odd to have someone mark it out as their favorite, because it just isn't great.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 10:55
Of all the live versions I've heard I always felt that the studio version got it better.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 11:16
Ya, ya...Chris Squire, I get it. But Tony Levin is no slouch. I do agree that Squire had a unique bass sound and singular style. I don't really care for the Symphonic Live or the Yessongs mix. I'd have to go with the original version, and... (he says putting himself in the firing line) the Steve Wilson mix. He just brought everything a little more into the light.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 11:17
I never really thought they captured the beauty of Squires bass in live recordings. There was more energy, but the subtleties of the sound he had in the studio were nowhere to be found.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 11:25
The original was a perfect prog song, and my favorite Yes tune. You can come close in live recordings, you can add symphonic frou-frou, but in the end you are only trying to duplicate what was already done in a completeness that can't really be matched.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wanorak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 11:49
Yessongs.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 13:20
Mmmm, Live at Montreux I think. Yessongs is great but I prefer the intro being acoustic and IIRC Montreux has the harmonica lines in the "The Preacher the Teacher" section and Yesongs doesn't (and I love that for some reason). I love the Symphonic version too.

Edited by TheLionOfPrague - April 24 2016 at 13:21
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 15:01
This gives me the chance to ask a question I always wanted to ask.

During the original studio version's first great crescendo, Anderson calmly sings: "Co...ming...quick-ly-to-terms-of all expression laid..."

On YESSONGS, however, and on all officially available recordings (PROGENY!) from that same tour, he disturbs this easy-going rhythm by singing:

"C'ming-QUICK-ly-to-TEEEEEERMS..."

It's not easy to explain what I mean, but I'm sure anyone could hear it!

So my question is: what caused Anderson to disturb (what seems to me) a perfectly natural rhythm???

(By the way, I'm sure the best live version of AYAI is on PROGENY somewhere... The band went on to play better at Montreux - those grand climaxes never sounded grander - but there Anderson's voice is a little too wobbly.)
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 15:37
For me it has to be one of the versions from Progeny. Don't know them well enough to differentiate, but being Yessongs came from those tapes I'll vote for that.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2016 at 23:59
I think Tsongas and Montreaux are both very good and really the end of Yes as a great live band with a great line up.  The original album version is sort of perfection.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 02:51
I'll go for the CTTE purist version. They had written and recorded everything. Then they had to learn how to play it all. LOL It was all uphill from there. Yessongs was pretty good too.

Off topic bit. I must admit I was take aback at the extensive editing (Starship Trooper for e.g.) to create that live studio album. Progeny was quite interesting for that.

More or less back on topic. But my favourite non-official version of And You And Me (they were and are appalling at grammar) is one from NYC ... 2004 I think... where the audience were in a such rapture the spontaneous standing ovation was too loud for the band to continue. The audience sourced DVD and audio are both quite good too.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 04:16
I'm a pure purist, so...
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 08:53

More or less back on topic. But my favourite non-official version of And You And Me (they were and are appalling at grammar) is one from NYC ... 2004 I think... where the audience were in a such rapture the spontaneous standing ovation was too loud for the band to continue. The audience sourced DVD and audio are both quite good too.

OMG I was there--it was Madison Sq Garden---it was I think the Tsongas tour!
I have never seen anything like it or been moved as much at a concert---
was moved to tears---now that is what Yes used to be---the power of Yes music played perfectly
saw them a few times after when JA and Rick had left---and the pure magic was gone
which is why I don't see them live anymore---there is no chance of a moment like that again

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emigre80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2016 at 18:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ahh...  I just checked I don't have that album actually.  So I don't think I've ever heard it. I'll have to youtube it then. 

it's been pulled from youtube, unfortunately, and the album is hard to find, as I discovered when I tried to get it for my husband for Christmas. It's worth getting on DVD, the visuals are very good, and there are some really great tracks on it - South Side of the Sky, Heart of the Sunrise and Siberian Khatru, for starters. A really lively version of Don't Kill the Whale (I have a soft spot for that song) and a lovely version of To Be Over by Howe (no lyrics!  thanks be to God!).

I recommend it highly, it's worth the investment for the version of And You and I if nothing else.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>