FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenus Hydra, Alt/Prog/Heavy Rock from Greece

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genus Hydra, Alt/Prog/Heavy Rock from Greece
    Posted: April 25 2016 at 16:38
Hey guys! I just registered and pleased to meet you all. I hope we learn a lot of things from each other on this forum. I would really like you to take a listen to our band's 2-track demo and share your thoughts on our music. We are 5 students from a small Greek town, nothing much, but with deep love for music. Hope you enjoy! https://genushydra.bandcamp.com/releases
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2016 at 23:54
First off, welcome to the forum.  I see it's been a while since you posted this.  Hopefully you're still around to see a response.

I liked your band's logo right away at the top of the bandcamp page.

I'm listening to "Travel" right now and like what I'm hearing a lot.  That doesn't happen too often, so thank you!   I'm hearing influences both from my metal and prog listening library, including Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, and actually even a bit of David Bowie.  But it doesn't sound as if you've copied any of their styles.  The song held my attention to the end and I will happily listen to it again.

"Shadow's Illusions" starts out great.  Nothing super flashy but just keeps moving, staying interesting.  Then when it changes drastically as the voice comes in - excellent musical choice.  Here you suddenly remind me forecefully of Iron Maiden in particular.  The style of singing is certainly part of that.  The changes continue throughout the song and you play through the changes so naturally - they don't sound forced in any way.  So... awesome!  I would buy an album of this.

The one criticism I have is that the sound was a bit muffled - I think it's the crunch guitar causing it, the mix may need some adjustment.  I do realize this is a demo, so it may be moot.

Just went back for another listen - talented drumwork.  Everything's good but the drummer is  holding the transitions together and adding an extra layer of interest that is missing in most music.  I hope some of the other folks on here give a listen!
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
gmelitos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 04:16
First off, thanks man, its always a sweet feeling to have someone you do not know say he enjoyed something you created, let alone a prog fan! :P So really really thank you for your support and constructive criticism, it is obvious that you heard both songs very thoroughly and with care. Do you play in a band? I'd like to take a listen to your work!
Star_Song_Age_Less View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 23:13
No problem - that's a good portion of why I come on here, I'm interested in hearing new music.  I get frustrated with people who don't take the time to really listen to a piece of music.  I know far too many people who listen to the first few seconds of a song, then hit skip.  Talk about a short attention span!  I feel that you don't know a song at all unless you've heard the whole thing.

I do make my own music, but it's not a band.  Some other musicians have definitely contributed, but in a studio setting, not together as a group.  And it's also not prog!  Certainly it's influenced by prog rock since I love it.

I poked around looking for something new to put up on SoundCloud for you to hear - I didn't have much up there.  The "new" track (new mix anyway) is at the top. https://soundcloud.com/jamie-kern-5/tracks

Totally different kettle of fish, and doesn't belong as its own "unsigned band" on here because it doesn't really fall under the prog category.
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2016 at 23:39
Welcome to PA -

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply