VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ‘Zappa Plays Zappa’ Pits Zappa vs. Zappa
    Posted: April 29 2016 at 23:43
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 00:56
Hi,

The whole thing is sicker than ... and I find it petty and pathetic. If my name was a judge, I probably would have said something to the effect that ... are you sure you want this laundry out with the public? This is nutz. And mandate the two sides to go home and come back tomorrow with an answer.

If my name was Dweezil, I probably would have said ... it's time for my music. You can take dad's music and shove it, and when sales die, and you can not get any more out of it, because you are not a musician, let me know ... I might be willing to do something ... I won't know until then!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 01:14
dirty dirty dirty
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 04:37
Why would you deny your Brother the right to respectfully perform the music of your dad? It´s ridiculous and greedy, and quite frankly disrespectful too. I saw Zappa Plays Zappa in 2005 and it was a great experience. This is more than just a regular tribute band (I´ve seen those too), and Dweezil goes out of his way to pay as much respect to his father´s music as possible.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 08:25
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Why would you deny your Brother the right to respectfully perform the music of your dad? It´s ridiculous and greedy, and quite frankly disrespectful too. I saw Zappa Plays Zappa in 2005 and it was a great experience. This is more than just a regular tribute band (I´ve seen those too), and Dweezil goes out of his way to pay as much respect to his father´s music as possible.

That sounds about right to me.......I'm no expert on Frank or his music or the family squabbles but I can't imagine why any family member would object to the son playing the music and honoring the dad while trying to make a living.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 08:55
This goes deep...would make a good movie!
User Banned for this Post
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 10:20
After spending his entire adult life fighting record labels and managers and orchestras and attorneys over retaining the rights to his own music, I'd bet Frank would be disgusted by this behavior.  Not only is Dweezil performing and promoting Frank's music to a new audience (and in turn making the trust even more money) but he appeared onstage numerous times with Frank and his band so is the most qualified person on the face of the earth to continue this legacy.  To be restricted from this, or even "charged an exorbitant fee" by Gail to use the "Zappa Plays Zappa" name, is an example of the worst possible type of inter-family greed and control freak mania.  Apparently other than Dweezil, those closest to him didn't learn much from Frank Disapprove
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 17:18
Saw Zappa Plays Zappa last year on the One Size Fits All tour. It was a great show. Fantastic renditions of classic tunes, and the same irreverent fun that was the hall mark of Frank's shows.  Dweezil is the face of Frank's music now. I'm sorry the family is tearing itself apart, but hope Dweezil can raise above it all and still tour and perform Frank's music.

I did support the recent kickstarter campaign to save Frank's vault. I wonder now if that was a mistake...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 10:18
Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

This goes deep...would make a good movie!

Nahhhh ... it would make a Russ Meyer cheapie that everyone went to see because of the moobs!

Boring, and a few years later, they all became disaster movies!

Again, if my name is Dweezil, I would stop playing any of Frank's work, and when the sales die out, the trust will either relent, or stop being stupid. I mean, that is the sickest of stupid! 

At least Dweezil is out on the road selling it, where the others are sitting at home counting the loo!

Edited by moshkito - May 01 2016 at 10:20
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2016 at 22:52
Dweezil Plays Frank.
Dweezil Plays FZ.
DZ Plays FZ.
I hope it doesn't matter.

A trust, like any entity, can do good things or bad things. Not so good things in this case.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 06:10
And why can't Ahmer just join Dweezil in this show and, therefore, end this quarrel?!
Frankly (pun intended?), it looks like all these wars ravaging Medieval Europe because of brothers all claiming their rights to the throne!

Also, I agree with moshkito: I first heard about Dweezil AND Ahmet in the 90's with their own band (AZ/DZ) and, judging by the enthusiastic reviews of their records and concerts, I wonder why they didn't go on, rather than ending being the leader of a tribute-band... That's a bit sad for DZ (especially when you consider that the former Mothers of Invention are already doing this kind of stuff).
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2016 at 10:40
CPircard - you hit the nail on the head.....there are ex-members of the Mothers, musicians who played with FZ for short periods of time, who are carrying on as the Mothers!  For DZ not to be able to carry on the legacy of his father's music is a travesty......the Z Plays Z shows have been amazing.  To stop them over this silly quarrel is a kick in the nuts to all who love the music of Zappa.  Pull up your pants, man!
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 06:45
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

And why can't Ahmer just join Dweezil in this show and, therefore, end this quarrel?!
Frankly (pun intended?), it looks like all these wars ravaging Medieval Europe because of brothers all claiming their rights to the throne!

Sounds like Ahmet's burned too many bridges with Dweezil.

This whole thing is sad.  Just plain sad.

/saw ZPZ at the Palace in Canton, OH on the first tour - with Vai, Bozzio and Brock - 3 hours of pure awesome

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 07:14
It just keeps getting stranger and stranger. Ahmet posted this open letter to Dweezil on his Facebook page:

An Open Letter to My Brother
Dweezil,
Strange to be writing this in public, but I don't know how else to respond. After reading the article in The New York Times, I'm not sure how else to reach you. If we talk through our lawyers, it's not because I want that. It's because you've refused to talk any other way. I've been reaching out to you for months. I even tried to set up a family meeting so we could discuss all of our family issues, but you repeatedly said you couldn't fit it into your schedule, and that you weren't available to attend without your lawyers present. Instead, you've given this incomplete, misleading story to the NYT and the media, and invited the whole world to take sides about our family business. Now, we're becoming "that family" – the spoiled brats arguing in public about who deserves what. I understand you're hurting and angry. We all are. But the more we fight about this in the press, the worse it gets for all of us. We're not gaining anything by doing this in public. If you're not willing to talk to me, though, I don't know what else to do. The New York Times has a story about a version of me that isn't based on facts or reality, and I don't know how else to set the record straight – or get you to talk to me – except to write this here, where people can form opinions by reading what I said for themselves. If you want to share private facts and legal documents, we can do that too, because honestly, we both know what'll happen: it will give everyone a complete picture of what's happening. Not the distorted one that's out there now, which makes it look like this is about business crushing art, or me being a greedy a****le who wants to take away your rights. I don't know how else to start, so I'll just respond to a few things I've read:

1. The article claims that you're no longer allowed to perform under the name Zappa Plays Zappa.

Not true, and we both know it. I have never asked you to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to use the ZPZ name. You've only been told that you can't keep using the name without agreeing to a fee of $1 per year, which you're fully aware of, but never mentioned in your interviews. I'll come back to that in a second. But just so everyone is clear:

Fact: You can absolutely keep touring under the name Zappa Plays Zappa.

You could do it tomorrow, and honestly, I hope you will. You’re a f**king guitar god and in my opinion one of the best guitar players in the world. You do an amazing job playing our father's music with total integrity. Your tours help keep Frank's name alive, just like the work Gail and I have done through the ZFT. This isn't about your tours, or art, or even about you. This is about the way the Trust was set up ages ago: if any of us use the "Zappa Plays Zappa" name for commercial purposes, a share of the profit goes back to the ZFT, to cover the high costs involved in maintaining the business and releasing more of Frank's content for the fans. Period. The point is: No one is stopping you from using the name, as long as you follow the exact same rules as the rest of us. And before anyone starts thinking that we're trying to screw you, let's talk about fees again.

2. The article claims that if you perform without paying the ZFT an "exorbitant fee," you'll be charged up to $150,000 for each song you play.

Again, not even close to true. Honestly, this was the part that really hurt, because now a lot of Frank's fans think I'm some greedy dude who's just in this for the money. Can't blame them. It sounds like blackmail. Like I don't want you to be able to play Frank's music. If I read that article without knowing the rest of the facts, I'd think I was a greedy a****le too. It's just not true. Personally, I don't think the fee Gail asked for was exorbitant. If you want, we can share the exact terms with the public, instead of just asking them to take our word for it. But even if the price was too high, it doesn't matter anymore, because I didn't want it to be an issue for you. That's why I suggested a workaround. So, if you're going to share family business with the whole world, I wish you'd tell them the whole story:

Fact: The "exorbitant fee" you're now being asked to pay the ZFT, to keep using Frank's name and performing his songs, is $1 per year.

That's not because the ZFT needs that money. I think we can live without an extra buck every year. It's because that token payment handles the legal requirement. Even though I thought the original fee was reasonable, I wanted to find a way to get us past this. And again, it's not just you: it's all four of us. If I want to perform Frank's music, I'll pay $1. So will Diva and Moon. That's just the deal, and I think it's a pretty reasonable solution. One dollar, man. It doesn't seem like The New York Times knew that part. And that's what hurts. If I was the greedy, deceitful a****le I'm reading about, I wouldn't be working this hard to find a way to make everyone happy.

3. The article suggests that this is all happening suddenly, that I'm changing the terms of your deal with the ZFT, and that you're being singled out.

Again, none of this is true. First, this isn't sudden or new. That was always the deal Gail put in place – not just for you, but all of us. Gail's decision was always that any of us who want to use the name – you, me, Moon, Diva – can perform under that name. But be honest: Frank Zappa's legacy isn't something we built, and "Zappa Plays Zappa" isn't a name that any one of us "owns" or has special claim to. We all got the same name at birth, and as the four beneficiaries of the ZFT, we all have an equal right to benefit from that name. That's why Gail decided that any Zappa using the name "Zappa Plays Zappa" would pay a percentage of profits to the ZFT, where it could keep the family business going. That rule doesn't just apply to you. It's for all four of us. A lot of people don't seem to realize this, but when you pay that fee – not even up front, but with a share of the profits you made performing our dad's music, and selling merchandise with his picture and name – it's not like it goes into my pocket. Most of it goes to the ZFT, so we can afford to keep remastering and releasing more of Frank's music to the fans, and building the business. I know the business side of Frank's legacy is less romantic than going out and touring with the music, but it's pretty damn important to me, and to the fans. It's also pretty damn expensive – and takes a ton of work. That's why Gail told us we have to sell the house: because she knew how much it would cost to maintain the catalog, work out deals with distributors, and get more content out to fans. Gail spent most of what we had just fighting to make sure we'd keep the rights to Frank's catalog. And when the ZFT does have profits, we split them between the four of us. I'm getting enough heat on social media that I'm betting a lot of people don't realize that you also receive funds from the ZFT. Even when you do pay fees to use the Zappa name, and sell Zappa merchandise, you receive a portion of the profits from it. ___________ I could say more, but it still feels weird to be saying all of this in public, especially when it feels like everyone is hoping for more drama. But, if I keep seeing inaccurate and misleading articles about what's happening, I don't know what you want me to do. Pretend it's true? Can't do that.
Again, if you won't talk to me about this, and want to work things out in public, we can. Privacy has always been important in our family, but that doesn't mean I have anything to hide. I just don't see how it helps anything to get the media and the public to take sides, especially when they don't have all the facts.
If you're willing to talk – and not just through a lawyer – I hope you'll call me. Your Brother, Ahmet
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 08:27
Hi,

And getting uglier by the moment.
www.pedrosena.com
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 09:36
Eeeeek.....wouldn't want to touch this with a 10 foot pole.  This is going to get way beyond ugly.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 10:18
What a mess Ouch
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 12:45
Based on that letter.....and one would think Ahmet would't lie in an open letter since it wouldn't be hard to ck the facts....Dweezil has some explaining to do.
Ermm
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 12:55
Nobody's telling the whole story here, and I don't think we'll ever get the whole story, no matter how much dirty laundry is getting aired in public. Ahmet is emphasizing that $1 a year formality while kinda glossing over the fact that Dweezil is expected to hand over a share of his tour income in addition to that dollar.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 13:33
^The original Frank was big about putting profits back into music, so that he could afford to get new equipment, hire orchestras and the like. So, I can see where some of that ethic of recycling funds generated back into the family trust comes from - not just from Gail but from Frank too. But it's one thing when a father is perpetuating a family business for his wife and kids. A bit more of a dilemma for a son to perpetuate a business for siblings. It's awkward (maybe less so for an Asian culture, but definitely awkward for our non-collectivist American culture). It sounds like each has their own legitimate perspective and is caught up in it.

Edited by HackettFan - May 05 2016 at 13:34
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>