Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJane Getter Premonition for Heavy Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jane Getter Premonition for Heavy Prog
    Posted: April 30 2016 at 00:08
Will take it to the team also, but wanted to post it to the public forum.

Jane Getter Premonition
Album name: ON

Saw this at the store today; the album cover caught my eye:
Jane Getter Premonition ON

Noticed it is on the Madfish label, which releases some prog.  Then saw the players:

- Jane Getter / Guitar, Vocals
- Adam Holzman / Keyboards
- Bryan Beller / Bass Guitar
- Chad Wackerman / Drums

with Special Guests:
- Alex Skolnick (Testament / Alex Skolnick trio) / Guitar
- Corey Glover (Living Colour) / Vocals
- Theo Travis / Flute, Soprano Saxophone

1. Surprised [8:00]
2. Where Somewhere [6:10]
3. Pressure Point [3:35]
4. Train Man [7:53]
5. Diversion [5:45]
6. Falling [4:56]
7. Logan (would've sounded great on this) [5:20]
8. Transparent [5:36]

Well how could I not buy it!?

Just finished listening, and it definitely must be part of PA.  I think HP is the most appropriate sub.  The lady can wail on the guitar!

I can't find the full album streaming anywhere (though she has three solo albums on Spotify, so maybe there soon?), but here is the lead track on Soundcloud:  https://soundcloud.com/madfishmusic/jane-getter-premonition-surprised-from-on.

Here's a blurb from the record label:

Recorded at Avatar Studios in New York, ON features a stellar line up of progressive and rock musicians - Keyboardist Adam Holzman (Miles Davis, Steven Wilson); bass player Bryan Beller (Joe Satriani, The Aristocrats); jazz/rock drummer Chad Wackerman (Frank Zappa, Allan Holdsworth, Steven Wilson) and special guests including vocalist Corey Glover (Living Colour), jazz/metal guitarist Alex Skolnick (Testament, Savatage, Ozzy Osbourne Band) and British saxophonist, flautist and clarinetist Theo Travis (Steven Wilson, Robert Fripp). The album was co-produced by Jane Getter and Adam Holzman, while mixing duties were handled by Adam Holzman and Anthony Ruotolo at Spin Studios in Long Island City, NYC.

Guitarist and composer Jane Getter has played with many jazz and rock greats while garnering increasing recognition as a bandleader, gifted writer and instrumentalist. Early in her career she toured with legendary jazz/blues organist Brother Jack McDuff. Her composing talents received attention when she won the ASCAP Gershwin Award for Music for Dance or Theatre in the mid 90’s. Her debut album Jane in 1998 received worldwide critical acclaim and the 2006 follow up See Jane Run was released on Alternity Records (home of Allan Holdsworth). In 2012 she released the progressive jazz/rock album Three. Jane also received widespread exposure playing in the Saturday Night Live Band.

Her band has played and toured internationally and live dates for the autumn of 2015 will be announced shortly.

Leading the campaign for the new album ON will be the opening track ‘Surprised’ with video footage supplied by Lasse Hoile.

ON is set to be released by Madfish as CD presented as a digipack with a 16 page colour booklet with stunning artwork from Lasse Hoile.

“the fieriest frettboarding female ever to strap on a Stratocaster” Guitar Player

For fans of Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, Dream Theater, Animals as Leaders & The Aristocrats.

Pre-Order 'ON' now on CD/LP/Digital
CD: bit.ly/1GUPagp
LP: bit.ly/1GUPhbO
Digital: smarturl.it/JGP_ON_iTunes
(digital includes instant download of 'Surprised')

For more information on Jane Getter Premonition click here:
www.madfishmusic.com/artists/jane-g…r-premonition/

For all it matters, Jane Getter is married to Adam Holzman.

Edited by infocat - April 30 2016 at 00:13
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 06:42
There are quite a few high quality videos of her and her band on YouTube. I won't embed a ton of them here and clog the thread up, but here's one just to give everyone a taste of what the lady can do:

Talented lady indeed. Approve
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 08:09
Jane Getter was sent to eclectic from JRF. I checked her discography and personally I'd like to see those kind of bands in JRF but since they were moved to us and did have a few directions I voted Yes, although I don't think she is eclectic enough. Anyway we'll have to see what the other guys make of her...
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2016 at 10:19
I'm not sure if Jane Getter (solo) and Jane Getter Premonition should be classified together.  I haven't listened to the three solo albums, but my impression is they are more jazz.  JGP has some jazzy touches, but is really "just" progressive rock
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
 Post Reply Post Reply