Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush - Caress of Steel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush - Caress of Steel
    Posted: May 03 2016 at 08:01
"Caress of Steel" may be my favorite Rush album. It's like a bridge between the early rock stuff and the proggy perfection that would soon become their identity.

For some reason, this album failed to connect with people. I've consistently found myself having to defend this album. Figured I might as well write a formal defense of "Caress of Steel." Any interested Rush fans are welcome to take a look.

[URL=http:// http://greenandblackmusic.com/2015/07/20/dont-rush-to-judgement-an-impassioned-defense-of-caress-of-steel/]
www.GreenAndBlackMusic.com
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 08:07
I will read that later when I get in from work.

COS does polarise opinion, but many Rush fans have a place in their hearts for it. It tanked at the time because no one was sure where Rush were going. Were they a rock 'n' roll band or something more progressive? Fly by Night had some of each but was still predominately a RnR album. COS was all wizards and woodland weirdness which I think confused many who had taken to the band because of the radio air play of tracks from the first two albums.

I love its unique atmosphere and it's still in my top 5 Rush albums.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 08:26
I love it too.  I also love the first two albums because it is their "hard rock" ability more than their long "proggy" suites or later "maturity" that I find so appealing.  They were just smoking on those early albums. 

I love Neil's drum sound on Caress too. 
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 12:49
Not a big Rush fan, but COS is far and away my favorite of the early albums and right behind the 76-81 run as my favorite by the band.  Yeah, the "epics" may be clumsy in spots and not as focused as later extended tracks, but the energy is unmistakable.  And you can see why the album tanked - there's no obvious single or radio track among the three "short" numbers on side 1......back in '75, no radio play meant no big sales.  Lakeside Park is right up there as my favorite Rush number.....solid writing and solid musicianship - groovy stuff.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 13:23
Its the one album when I listen to it I always think of how they did that. The Rush album and pretty much most of FBN are hard rocking blues based Zeppelin, Who and Yardbirds.

Then to make a more Genesis/Yes approach for the 3rd album in two long suites, Lakeside Park and the rocking Bastille Day, to this day I still go wow.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 15:45
Originally posted by dennis1077 dennis1077 wrote:

"Caress of Steel" may be my favorite Rush album. It's like a bridge between the early rock stuff and the proggy perfection that would soon become their identity.

For some reason, this album failed to connect with people. I've consistently found myself having to defend this album. Figured I might as well write a formal defense of "Caress of Steel." Any interested Rush fans are welcome to take a look.

[URL=http:// http://greenandblackmusic.com/2015/07/20/dont-rush-to-judgement-an-impassioned-defense-of-caress-of-steel/]

right on man... welcome to the forum Clap.. and giving you your Caress of Steel fanclub card as your welcoming gift.

signed:
the President and founder of the Caress of Steel kicks ASS club...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 16:01
I like it. The Necromancer is a bit silly but the rest of it is really good. Bastille Day and Lakeside Park are classics imo and the side 2 concept is great as well.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 16:25
About the worst that I can say about it is that "The Fountain Of Lameth" is a little patchy, but even that has its moments.

Also, am I the only one who liked "I Think I'm Going Bald" upon first listen?
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 16:40
sure I did.. why not.. it rocks and was fun.   You didn't listen to Rush for anything deeper like profound high quality lyrics unless you seriously had a screw loose...LOL

Like the Necromancer... lyrics so bad... they ended up being nothing but competely endearing. 

D&D prog.. know it.. love it.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 18:43
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by dennis1077 dennis1077 wrote:

right on man... welcome to the forum Clap.. and giving you your Caress of Steel fanclub card as your welcoming gift.

signed:
the President and founder of the Caress of Steel kicks ASS club...

Am I the Vice-President of the Caress of Steel kicks ass club? LOL
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2016 at 18:51
damn right you are! Thumbs Up
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 10:43
I like Caress better than 2112 Approve

2112 never clicked with me the way it did with most Rush fans
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 15:28
It's the only Rush album I still get a kick out of hearing. As others have said the silly / D&D nature of the more pompous tracks is very loveable.

Also, is I Think I'm Going Bald the only time Rush ever demonstrated a sense of humour, or is that just my complete ignorance of any Rush albums after about 1984 talking?

Edited by Mascodagama - June 22 2016 at 15:31
Sardonite Calamity View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 16:14
I've purchased Caress of Steel a couple of days ago, and now I've just found this post

I quite find that COS if a fairly average album, and that in comparison 2112 is much better. All the songs in caress of steel are good, but none of them stand out In particular. I've just learned how to play Bastille Day on the bass, and it was fun. It has great signing.

Personally (and I'm not sure if it goes for everybody) the thing that makes COS inferior to other Rush albums is the lyrics. We can't really blame them for that, as Geddy said so himself, they were high most of the time they were working in this album. The lyrics have less meaning than most rush fans are used to, and that's what makes COS worse than other albums.
I used to have a really good signature but I forgot it...
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 16:21
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Also, is I Think I'm Going Bald the only time Rush ever demonstrated a sense of humour, or is that just my complete ignorance of any Rush albums after about 1984 talking?

Dog years? From Test For Echo. "In a dog's life, a year is really more like seven" Dog years is perhaps the worst song Rush has made, but I do like Test for Echo

I know a lot of Rush fans don't like anything Rush after Signals, but I find they've made some excellent work in other albums. Clockwork Angels is really amazing, and totally flew past my expectations. Counterparts is also a very good album.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 16:24
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I like Caress better than 2112 Approve

2112 never clicked with me the way it did with most Rush fans

Interesting... I just love the story 2112 (the song) tells.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 16:46
Caress is my favourite Rush album. The Necromancer sealed the deal for me, especially the spacey first part. I could probably part with most my Rush albums except for Caress, Pictures and Waves........
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 05:25
Originally posted by Sardonite Calamity Sardonite Calamity wrote:

I've just learned how to play Bastille Day on the bass, and it was fun.

Great song to play on the bass, not too difficult for a Rush song. It was the first song I ever played at my first gig, unfortunately the singer started off trying to sing it in the original key, then quickly decided that wasn't a good idea and had to drop an octave.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 06:35
The production lets the album down for some I guess. Even rockers like Bastille Day sound a little muted and muffled. Imagine that song with the same production as Anthem off FBN. It would - as they say - 'kick ass' a lot harder than it does. However that blurry production does suit Necromancer and FOL very well IMO. It lends those songs a very strange and unique atmosphere.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 08:32
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

It's the only Rush album I still get a kick out of hearing. As others have said the silly / D&D nature of the more pompous tracks is very loveable.

Rush using Powerhouse in La Villa Strangiato is humorous. Well, to me anyway
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>