Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
    Posted: May 04 2016 at 23:21
A garage rock band definitely taking influence from prog. Their new album Nonagon Infinity is a 9 track suite that is created to be able to play in an infinite loop, not just in terms of key and tempo, but pacing as well. It has odd time signatures, recurring motifs, motoriks, ridiculous sci-fi lyrics. I think they belong somewhere on the site. I've not listened to their previous albums, but I know that their prog influence isn't new, however far they take it.

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 10:30
Any thoughts on this?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 03:48
Gotta love that Gamma Knife vid!! Druids doing rock is always enjoyable...and here oddly enamouringEmbarrassedLOL

As for PA purposes: I'm not sure I hear anything other than brilliantly played old school rock n roll with doomy psych and bluesy garage aesthetics.  

The second track won't play, but I found some jootoob clippings of my own that hopefully will help things alongSmile (which I haven't yet heard btw. I'll give em a whirl when I have time)

and I found another upload of Nonagon Infinity which works for me.

P.S.
Whilst scribbling away I've had the album spinning and it does sound more...erm fickle and technical than Gamma Knife. Still sounds a little too close to pure blues based rock n roll for PA methinks. I don't mean that in a negative way. I love that stuff. 

Anyway, I will tap the PSIKE team on the shoulder in case they hear something I'm missingSmile

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 15:28
interesting band indeed ... anyway, what I've heard so far, describes a garage rock band adopting some rare prog characteristics ... though not vice versa a heavy psych prog band solely offering some garage expeditions ...

Edited by Rivertree - May 13 2016 at 15:33

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 11:42
I was thinking crossover prog, actually, but I didn't know if they'd fit in anywhere else. I was listening to Renaissance at the time I suggested the band, and aside from "Song of Scheherazade," nothing strikes me as particularly more complex than these guys; however, David's right in that these guys stick to simpler and bluesier harmonic language than most, though Hawkwind strikes me in the same way, but are a bit spacier.

Any chance these guys might make it into crossover, you think?
DreamsReign View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2017 at 23:06
Although I am new to this site, I must strongly recommend these guys be included. The issue is NOT whether Gamma Knife has prog inflections. The album NONAGON INFINITY as a whole is definitely prog. It is a 40 minute continuous rock symphony where the songs repeat musical themes and even (in Evil Death Roll) flash forward to future themes yet to occur. The album works seemlessly as a song cycle, in a way reminiscent of Shine on You Crazy Diamond, or perhaps The Incident by Porcupine Tree, and yet in a highly unique way. The album features the virtuosity of its members, particular it lead guitarist Stu MacKensie, but also their lead drummer. Their use of polphony, poly-rhythms and complex song structures (especially Evil Death Roll, but trust me the whole album IS a 40-minute epic in a similar vein to A Passion Play but actually even more organically interworked) is prog through and through. Like Pink Floyd, many will classify them as psychedelic, but the truth is that their symphony structuring and showcasing virtuosity makes them at least as much prog and psych. Please do not base any decision on one song like Gamma Knife - this is classic hard rock prog - look at the album as a whole. I can't emphasise strongly enough how much these guys deserve to be featured on this website - and the sooner the better since they are about to do Coachella and release a swathe more albums this year. Is there anything formal I can do to help the approval process?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 01:01
^ Relax, there's a careful process of addition, they may or may not be added.   Your "the sooner the better since they're about to start touring and promoting" comment doesn't help things.  

Retro vintage post-progressive.   But from the samples given so far, not really prog.   If added, I'd say Heavy prog.  

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2017 at 02:15
I have bought three of their albums since commenting in this thread (including Nonagon Infinity) and have found exactly zero prog in their output. Doesn't mean they aren't great - merely that they aren't prog. More like deliciously played garage rock with psych aspirations.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 11 2017 at 02:16
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
SamMac View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2017 at 19:53

Edited by SamMac - December 02 2017 at 22:15
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 04:44
After living with their most recent for a couple of months now I think it's fair to say that this band at least deserves a go from the psychedelically inclined prog rock connoisseur. I'll tap the PSIKE guys on the shoulder myself. Just thought I'd pop in here as well...and maybe sell you tomatoes farmed under the sea.

Edited by Guldbamsen - March 25 2017 at 04:47

- Douglas Adams
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 08:18
I've actually heard of this band. I didn't realize they weren't already on here though. 
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 13:07
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I've actually heard of this band. I didn't realize they weren't already on here though. 

neither did I, really

But my discovery of this band dates from two or three months ago, TBH... and I didn't bother to check the DB, partly because I wasn't sure they elonged, despite their obvious debt to Hawkwind.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 08:43
I have added the band to our evaluation chart. This is a really tough case, as we generally are not  interested in opening the doors for alternative rock styled bands ...

new one 'Flying Microtonal Banana' is an enjoyable album for sure, will need some rounds ...
There are leanings towards the prog rock genre to state.
The garage style is still evident though, this partially krautrock/indo raga flavoured.
They themselves don't even claim to be a prog band as far as I can see.

Edited by Rivertree - March 26 2017 at 08:45

TheReachedDagger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2017 at 03:45
Using elements of folk music heavily that belongs to a far culture (in flying mb) is absolutely a progressive idea. They don't fit in any style of music and don't limit themselves in any way. Also, they're extremely productive, so i'm sure they will make a lot of great albums in the future. In my opinion, this bands addition is necessary.
RadioGnomeVisible View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2017 at 18:05
Any updates with regard to adding them?  The albums they put out in 2017, particularly Polygondwanaland, are very proggy.  The band (along with Haken) tends to be mentioned a lot by younger progressive rock fans.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 06:03
Try as I might I still don't hear this as prog. I love their last 5 albums but I struggle to see where they'd fit in.
Just because a band is popular among a certain age group that calls said band prog doesn't necessarily mean it belongs on PA. I've read many younger supposedly prog fans call Tame Impala, Coldplay, Fleet Foxes and Temples prog. If that is the yardstick these days then the Gizzards probably belong in avant.

Experimental garagey blues based rock n roll at its finest

- Douglas Adams
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 16:00
^I primarily would agree to that, David, we should not expand the boundaries too much ...
though it's way way way more difficult, the last albums are very prog oriented for sure
they are a talented multi-varianted band, no doubt ... please let us take some time ...

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 14:54
New album out today! Fifth album of the year! They made it! And its great stuff obviously. Gumboot Soup 
(not their proggiest but more progressive than... a lot of stuff) 

To me, if anything King Gizz are overqualified for PA. Personally this is what a modern, progressive rock band should be about: undeniably rock but always stretching, always exploring, sprawling, ever-changing and fun! Hey they've got more complex time signatures than not! I'm sure both the band and I will survive without their PA-inclusion but why say no to our greatest hope for the future? 

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 15:21
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Try as I might I still don't hear this as prog. I love their last 5 albums but I struggle to see where they'd fit in. 
Psychedelic/Space Rock - it's a no brainer.

Just because a band is popular among a certain age group that calls said band prog doesn't necessarily mean it belongs on PA. I've read many younger supposedly prog fans call Tame Impala, Coldplay, Fleet Foxes and Temples prog.
Totally indifferent to all of those

If that is the yardstick these days then the Gizzards probably belong in avant.
Yeah? Well, I'll settle for psych/space

Experimental garagey blues based rock n roll at its finest
Wut no! Ok, but so is Captain Beefheart

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 15:33
Hey Saper. Seems we're both digging the Gizzards. Thanks for the heads up on the new album. Much appreciated.

Well we obviously differ in opinion with regards to inclusion. Seems a bit like you just want your favourite new toy brought along to the birthday. Nahh just pulling your leg. One thing though, the eval process here is never about the quality of music but whether or not its prog.

I have no say in this matter though. I trust the team to make the decision. If they do get included I certainly won't lose any sleep over it. Like you, and Gloria Gaynor, I will survive

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>