Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2018 at 18:05

Does this:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112629

mean that King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard have been assessed to be not suitable for inclusion on this site?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 02:50
I heard that the leader, Stu MacKenzie, learnt to play a Turkish instrument, the baglama, which plays in quarter-tones, and ask a friend to modify his guitar to be able to play micro-tonal.

IMHO, this fact alone shows a way of thinking and playing much more progressive than many so-called modern prog bands, in the sense of it makes "rock progress", and adds a point to the inclusion of this band on PA, at least in Prog Related category...

Edited by Modrigue - February 16 2018 at 04:29
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2018 at 05:15
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Does this:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112629

mean that King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard have been assessed to be not suitable for inclusion on this site?

I obviously can't speak for the PSIKE team, but my guess is that they're still evaluating the Gizzards...maybe waiting out for possibly new material that qualifies them for inclusion.
Some times these things take time. The team has a bunch of other bands on their table as well, and if the band in question furthermore is borderline, then you need to be a little patient
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 20:47
Any word on these guys? Or are they still sort of on the waiting list?
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2018 at 23:06
Looks like they've been rejected.

Edited by DamoXt7942 - April 12 2018 at 23:13
zzchrisp View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2018 at 06:14
How bizarre. It would be good to have an explanation. Listening to KGLW only yesterday and hearing a range of influences, predominantly Gong in this particular sitting. They are without doubt more akin to Progressive Rock than many already in the database including a significant amount of Prog' Related and Jazz/Fusion etc. I am confident that there are many people eagerly waiting for Collaborators to review their back catalogue and having such a resource on ProgArchives will allow people to explore their work. I am not a huge fan of KGLW but I am huge fan of ProgArchives and question what is behind the decision for total rejection.

Edited by zzchrisp - April 26 2018 at 06:16
menpete View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2018 at 07:29
This entire thread is hilarious to me. Is there a secret council that meets in a smoke filled room to define prog? If so, that is the most prog thing ever. 

I present one more case for King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - the best band on planet Earth today, by the way - The Gizzverse. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEIEmRyLPzY

Basically, around the time of the release of Nonagon Infinity two years ago, fans began realizing several Easter eggs in the bands songs, musical and thematic callbacks, as well as similar imagery on the band's record covers and videos. Fans speculated that this was by design, an attempt to create a unified narrative throughout the band's releases. When asked about this, frontman Stu Mackenzie confirmed its existence. From that point, the band has gone full bore in its attempt to tie together characters and story-lines throughout its subsequent releases. 

Whether accidental or not, King Gizzard is now knee deep in its own conceptual continuity. I would consider this a hallmark of prog. (And ultimately, who gives a f*** anyway).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 16:17
Haha, I suppose it can seem a bit pretentious. The reality is that no single person or group of people can absolutely and objectively define whether or not a band is prog or not. There will never be an official consensus on every single band that has ever been prog and every one that is not. ProgArchives looks to serve as a collection of as many prog artists and albums as possible; effectively, to serve as a database for the prog listener. However, they have to have some sort of system in place for the addition of new bands. If anyone were able to add an artist as they wish, it would render the site kind of pointless; past suggestions include Tame Impala, ...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of the Dead, XTC, The Damned, Chiodos, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Soundgarden, Green Day, hell, even Spinal Tap. Whether all, some, one, or none of these bands are prog is not my point (although I'd be happy to share my opinion if you wish); I'm just saying that without the current system, everybody and his/her/their cousin would be adding their favourite band as prog. 

Personally, I totally agree with you. I think that, especially from Nonagon Infinity onward, King Gizzard is a full-on prog band, and one of the greatest of the modern era. However, I'm not on the PSIKE team, and at the end of the day, they chose not to add it. Maybe they thought it was too close to the edge of being prog or not that it would open the door for bands that are definitely not prog to be added to the website. Maybe they just didn't hear it, or maybe they skipped over Polygondwanaland. At the end of the day, you're right; who gives a f***. ProgArchives does its job as a progressive music database extremely well, but no database is 100% comprehensive; it's not the end-all, be-all authority that it is often thought of as (though probably the closest we have to one), and if we want to continue thinking of King Gizzard as a prog band (which I intend to do), then we are at the complete liberty to do so.

Anyways, that was a bit of a wordy, half-pointless rant, but I just thought I'd share my thoughts on it.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2018 at 20:51
I like King Gizzard. I would vote to include them on the site, potentially in the cross-over category
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2018 at 07:20
Should be here by now IMO, and I say that as a non-fan of the Gizz. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 01:02
Read the full thread. They were just rejected by the Psych/Space team. I agree that they belong here though.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 01:38
These are the tags the band have under their bandcamp profile, also under Polygondwanaland:
alternative garage soul surf Melbourne

I think they're bang on....and that is coming from Denmark's biggest fan
Btw Gumboot Soup has really started to speak to me after the weather has changed for the warmer. Then again it was recorded during Aussie summer, so I guess it isn't that strange to have it complement summertime here in Scandinavia.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 06:04
So one of the worlds leading progbands right now fails to get recognised as progressive rock at progarchives. Absurd. And really? - more soul, surf and garage than psychedelic, space rock, progressive rock, jazz-rock...? 

Genre tags for Polygondwanaland at RYM: 
 Psychedelic Rock, Progressive Rock, Space Rock, Krautrock, Acid Rock

Descriptors: 
uncommon time signatures, psychedelic, male vocals, progressive, mysterious, repetitive, epic, atmospheric, hypnotic, space, futuristic, existential, surreal, science fiction, concept album, complex

If one looks at their five/six latest albums I guess eclectic is probably what they are.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - May 21 2018 at 06:12
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2018 at 15:21
Dropped by PA to hear some clips of more recent King Gizzard albums to prepare for their upcoming gig in Austin, but......no KGWL?  File 'em under proto, space, Kraut, Canterbury, psych, eletic, fusion.....whatever, just find a place for 'em.

I'd file them along with the Grateful Dead under "Missed Opportunity" as in those who come to PA to discover new music will miss out on some absolutely groovy progressive rock.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 15:49
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

So one of the worlds leading progbands right now fails to get recognised as progressive rock at progarchives

i know right?
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2018 at 19:56
If they are definitely prog then one of their next albums will get them on the site. :) 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2018 at 01:13
My guess is that the Psych team looked at the time frame of their output, and saw that for their first several years, their albums were primarily psychedelic rock rather than progressive. Despite having released 6 (in my opinion) prog albums by now, it's only been two years. My guess is the same as Smurph's above: if they continue their musical trajectory into the world of prog, they will eventually land themselves on the site.

I will note again, though, that I fully agree with some of the previous points; I think King Gizzard is one of the greatest contemporary prog bands.

jiminyCrikett View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2018 at 12:16
I feel like the question isn't really whether or not they belong on this site, but where they fit. But everything you guys are saying about the timeline makes sense. I definitely hope they continue on their trajectory towards prog greatness and put out more albums like Polygondwanaland!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 13:24
A week ago, King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard released their latest album, Fishing For Fishies :

Do you think this album increases or decreases their prog credentials? After listening to the album a few times, it seems to me that a few tracks decrease their prog credentials and a few tracks increase their prog credentials, but overall I am undecided (though leaning towards a decrease). The music on the album does seem to be a natural progression from their previous album, Gumboot Soup, although without the microtonal sounds.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2019 at 19:26
^ Regardless of their progressiveness, this album is definitely fantastic for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>