Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4 little gems (169)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which one do you prefer ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [27.27%]
2 [18.18%]
3 [27.27%]
3 [27.27%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4 little gems (169)
    Posted: May 05 2016 at 03:01
Brast Burn : Debon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkGy4U2DM7c

Dada : St
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLvL1ywF_ms

Karuna Khyal : Alomoni 1985
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ElmKmy1fVg

Jorge Reyes : Comala
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWgue0huUZc
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 03:02
Karuna Khyal Alomoni 1985 album cover

Review by DamoXt7942 
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP RIO / Avant / Zeuhl Team & Moderator
5 stars An obscure Japanese underground outfit hit a grand slam and went out soon. I consider, of KARUNA KHYAL this should be a good expression. No confirmed information about them. (Surprisingly, even the distributor doesn't know the details.) Here's only an album named Alomoni 1985 with no credit. What a mystery! I was so amazed before opening the jack-in-the-box.

Side A 24-32

Eccentric sounds with a twisted guitar and religious percussions & voices have come now! We can have a feeling that something bad would happen - with very solemn, weird, and eerie sounds. Realizing that this music style should be Oriental and of Buddhism, we might come close to be absorbed the weirdness. But don't be deceived. Time's gonna change soon about 3 1/2 minutes later. Suddenly extremely repetitive quiet banjo, stable percussions, and uncomfortable voice over some effectors are around us. Not only this, scenes are altering so rapidly. Here come some growling and bells ringing with the recorded tape slowly or reversely played For these sounds, somebody might say KARUNA KHYAL was of Japanese Krautrock like Faust. However, I do suggest they (he?) should be more influenced by drugs, druggy lives, and drug abuses than Krautrock scene. Such druggie, speedy, and freaky explosions could be born otherwise.

Side B 22-30

More aggressively artifactual noises, process voices repeating Alomoni, O-chow, Gaow, and various meaningless (senseless?) words, and heavy bass sounds can rush toward and run over us. I'm sure, of all in the side, the most important element is the heavy bass. This rhythmical bass sounds can remind us the trip for Buddhism. How? You can feel you repeat the words of Buddha, can't you? About 11 1/2 minutes later, eccentric and crazy guitar sounds and much crazier voices (with cries of a baby and dandling of a father...?) should take us into another sky. We should dance to the druggie noise without our intention whether we misunderstand or not. At last, we should have a vacant feeling with the last quiet air. And go out like the outfit...

Caution! This album is a real drug, not a cranky work...but highly recommended as a drug.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 03:14
Brast Burn's Debon for me, great album I think, but all sound good.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 03:21
A DAMOniac album Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 03:39
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

A DAMOniac album Wink

I think I discovered that album thanks to Damo's blog, which has a ton of excellence in it.

Edited by Logan - May 05 2016 at 03:47
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 03:53
Absolutely. He's the best. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 04:56
I heard of Jorge Reyes from his collaborations with Steve Roach. I'm curious to listen to his work Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 04:58
Very interesting stuff, Sam, at the frontier of World and prog music.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 05:01
Afficher limage dorigine
5.0 out of 5 stars
By J. Ramirez on April 30, 2004
Format: Audio CD
The album Comala is inspired on the surrealistic novel Pedro Paramo by mexican writer Juan Rulfo. It's a short story where "Rulfo's characters emerge gradually from a landscape of death and decay, as his tale offers testament to the enduring integrity of the human soul."
The music is designed to submerge the listener in a state of consciousness where boundaries between life and death disappear and the use of acoustics and chanting will transport you to Rulfo's mythic Comala.
The remarkable use of pre-hispanic instruments and real native american ritualistic chanting mixed with futuristic sounds and synthesizers creates an atmospheric limbo of the afterlife.
The old woman chanting is Maria Sabina, a Mazatec curandera / high priestess that used to conduct ceremonial mushroom rituals in the 60's and 70's. Maria Sabina lived in Huautla de Jimenez, a small village in Oaxaca, Mexico.
John Lennon, Peter Townshend, Mick Jagger, and Bob Dylan are some of the celebrities who traveled to Huautla, seeking the spiritual guidance of Maria Sabina.
In any case, Jorge Reyes work of art combines past and present, the old and the new and transports the listener to a world that exists only in a space in time called Comala.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 08:58
I know Brast Burn and I've heard of Jorge Reyes. the other two were new to me but I voted for Reyes,
Magma America Great Make Again
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 09:18
I really like the name Dada for a band.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 09:41
Unpredictable Darryl.Smile

About Dada, they could have chosen that cover :

Afficher limage dorigine
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 13:56
I only know Brast Burn and KK, of which I prefer the former. Though both are deliciously zonked out.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 14:49
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Karuna Khyal Alomoni 1985 album cover

Review by DamoXt7942 
FORUM & SITE ADMIN GROUP RIO / Avant / Zeuhl Team & Moderator
5 stars An obscure Japanese underground outfit hit a grand slam and went out soon. I consider, of KARUNA KHYAL this should be a good expression. No confirmed information about them. (Surprisingly, even the distributor doesn't know the details.) Here's only an album named Alomoni 1985 with no credit. What a mystery! I was so amazed before opening the jack-in-the-box.

Side A 24-32

Eccentric sounds with a twisted guitar and religious percussions & voices have come now! We can have a feeling that something bad would happen - with very solemn, weird, and eerie sounds. Realizing that this music style should be Oriental and of Buddhism, we might come close to be absorbed the weirdness. But don't be deceived. Time's gonna change soon about 3 1/2 minutes later. Suddenly extremely repetitive quiet banjo, stable percussions, and uncomfortable voice over some effectors are around us. Not only this, scenes are altering so rapidly. Here come some growling and bells ringing with the recorded tape slowly or reversely played For these sounds, somebody might say KARUNA KHYAL was of Japanese Krautrock like Faust. However, I do suggest they (he?) should be more influenced by drugs, druggy lives, and drug abuses than Krautrock scene. Such druggie, speedy, and freaky explosions could be born otherwise.

Side B 22-30

More aggressively artifactual noises, process voices repeating Alomoni, O-chow, Gaow, and various meaningless (senseless?) words, and heavy bass sounds can rush toward and run over us. I'm sure, of all in the side, the most important element is the heavy bass. This rhythmical bass sounds can remind us the trip for Buddhism. How? You can feel you repeat the words of Buddha, can't you? About 11 1/2 minutes later, eccentric and crazy guitar sounds and much crazier voices (with cries of a baby and dandling of a father...?) should take us into another sky. We should dance to the druggie noise without our intention whether we misunderstand or not. At last, we should have a vacant feeling with the last quiet air. And go out like the outfit...

Caution! This album is a real drug, not a cranky work...but highly recommended as a drug.

I totally agree. I think is one of the craziest, trippy, evily, scary albums that I've ever listened to.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2016 at 14:52
Afficher limage dorigine
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 03:47
Afficher limage dorigine

In 1970 Pete Gage and Elkie Brooks (After she met Pete Gage, whom she would marry)
formed the short-lived rock fusion band, Dada.

The group worked well but changes were brought about with the arrival of another future star
by the name of Robert Palmer and Dada transformed into Vinegar Joe.
Island Records president Chris Blackwell subsequently suggested the three consider continuing their musical
partnership leading to the formation of Vinegar Joe with the addition of
former Robert Palmer, Jody Grind keyboardist Tim Hinkley , drummer Rob Tait, and bassist Steve York.

The band managed to release one obscure album for ATCO (1970′s “Dada” catalog number 2400 030),
before collapsing.

Personel on Dada album is;

Pete Gage (guitar & bass)
Elkie Brooks (vocals)
Paul Korda (vocals);
Jimmy Chambers (vocals, percussion)
Barry Duggan (flute, alto saxophone, baritone saxophone)
Malcolm Capewell (flute, tenor saxophone)
Ernie Luchlan (trumpet, flugelhorn)
Don Shinn (keyboards)
Martyn Harryman (drums, percussion)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 09:29
Brast Burn Debon album cover
DamoXt7942 
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO / Avant / Zeuhl Team & Moderator
5 stars (From PA blog "Japanese Progressive Rock presented by DamoX")

Another Japanese ambiguous and mysterious project could leave a brilliant footprint on the psychedelic rock ground!

Let me say bravo for Paradigm discs, that re-issued two of Japanese gems - Alomoni 1985 (KARUNA KHYAL) and this fantastic art Debon (BRAST BURN). As totally I say, BRAST BURN had simpler instrumental formation than KARUNA KHYAL, and the songs in Debon are more melodious (but well-eccentric) than ones in Alomoni 1985. I think it's a miracle in mid-1970s Japanese psychedelic rock scene could have such fragrant sunflowers!

Part 1

From the beginning another world has come to us! Electronic growling about a minute gradually walks toward us - with an eccentric noise like flying soul fireballs and a ringing percussion like a wind chime. We can get chilled and amazed with these sounds and psychedelia itself! And dry and soulless electronic guitar quakes and meaningless shouts follow...a broken spacey scenario gets started now! 'Shoot a mind, shoot a mind, shoot a mind, shoot...' This chorus sounds like this but I cannot hear well sorry. Well, whatever, with some Oriental instruments like a sitar, small bells and percussive stuffs there are lots of solemn chorus and lazy shouts hahhaha. Incidentally all sounds as above are swept away by the blowing wind. What happened? You can be surprised, I agree well. ;-) In the middle part, melanchoric piano and brass sounds are trampled on with the blowing wind and irregular and irritative percussive noises. On the background is there some waterfalls? Remarkably unstable but expectable development I'm sure. The last part is as an elf's dancing to the small bells I feel...in my inner mind with mythical psychedelia. ogether let's dance and spell a magic. Flexible and sharp-edged recorder sounds make us so anxious. Our foreboding comes true - loud noise like an explosion of an atomic bomb attacks us... and goes away. There is nothing left except our minds burned away.

Part 2

Why is here safe and sound with a bird singing and a baby chattering? No, don't be deceived. This comfort for us is a herald of another world coming again. Sure, with some percussive palpitations earthquake comes here! Various animals cry with anxiety and our trip for outside - on the back of a camel - goes on with some exotic instrumental shots. The chorus, the percussion and the electronic brass say we should get relaxed and freaky out completely. Indeed this stream is not in Alomoni 1985 and I guess Michiro and Yoshihiro should not the same person. There are lots of lyrical tunes and scenes here - although always here are some eccentric and irritative noises. Yes we can say this style is really psychedelic rather than spacey like KARUNA KHYAL. The rumble of the ground knocks us deeply into the earth and lets us watch a druggie and sarcastic dream. The last two minutes of this album is very dreamy and comfortable with relaxed voices and acoustic guitar sounds...BUT! Maybe we will be seized with fearful sounds...well now I don't say in great detail about it. Ouch...remarkable earache will come to us hahhaha!

Caution! This album is a real poison, not a nauseous work...but highly recommended as a poison. :-)

P.S. I'm so proud that BRAST BURN could be approved by the PA Krautrock team. Thanks philippe and the Krautrock team!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCqdZ4R4A48

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 10:20
All very good albums but I voted for Karuna Khyal, it's one of the strangest albums I listened to, one that made me question the definition of music... and my mental sanity LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2016 at 11:26
LOL  and mine !
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2016 at 11:15
I feel slightly embarrassed to prefer Reyes so clearly with his fancy modern late 80s sound; a proper prog fan  should probably not dismiss the more vintage aesthetics of the others. Still, I'm hugely attracted to the sound alchemy of Reyes while not being particularly impressed by the others.

Edited by Lewian - May 07 2016 at 11:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>