Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHenry Cow appreciation society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Henry Cow appreciation society
    Posted: May 08 2016 at 12:16
Fans of Henry Cow, this is your home.

I am writing this as I have just finnished reviewing all of the band's official releases (excluding boxsets and fan-made stuff). Really, what an excellent band this was. I really started listening to them after I fell in love with their contribution to Egg's Civil Surface a few months ago. I started discovering albums chronologically, which gave me a really good perspective in the end.

And just this weekend, I have purchased an original LP of Legend in mint condition. This is a great record to have. The mixing is very nice.

Share your positive (and negative) thoughts, post clips, articles, and everything Henry Cow!

Cheers!

Edited by ALotOfBottle - May 08 2016 at 12:17
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 13:02
Thanks for this topic man! It was about time! Clap
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 13:34
Love this band, becoming a completist.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 14:50
I will join this collective.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2016 at 15:17
Kickass band. There was a time in my senior year of high school that all I could think about listening to, out of all the music in the world, were Concerts and Western Culture. Awesome successor projects, too.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 07:17
On a related note, I have seen Fred Frith several times live, the last two times solo doing some guitar trickery, which I found quite intriguing. I have a number of his albums (mostly collaborations such as Helter Skelter, Steps Across The Border, Keep the Dog) but he has made such an incredible number of albums and most of  them difficult to get hold of that I wonder whether his experimental solo guitar stuff is on any (good) one, and which one it is. Any recommendations?

Edited by Lewian - May 09 2016 at 07:17
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 08:00
1988 : The Technology Of Tears And Other Music For Dance And Theatre. A double Lp and my favorite work by him.
Afficher limage dorigine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug3w66y5a2Q
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 08:03
^I'll second Pierre on this one. Buddy of mine has that LP and it's a very interesting listen. It's on my own to-get list actually.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 08:15
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

On a related note, I have seen Fred Frith several times live, the last two times solo doing some guitar trickery, which I found quite intriguing. I have a number of his albums (mostly collaborations such as Helter Skelter, Steps Across The Border, Keep the Dog) but he has made such an incredible number of albums and most of  them difficult to get hold of that I wonder whether his experimental solo guitar stuff is on any (good) one, and which one it is. Any recommendations?

I've only got a couple of Frith solo albums but they've been consistently recommended by people I trust as the place to start, Gavity & Speechless.

I saw him at RIO last year solo doing his guitar improvisation experimental stuff, I was expecting to hate it but it was surprisingly entrancing, one of the performances of the weekend. He also sat in on most of the Artaud Beats set which meant that 4 members of HC were on stage during their set. Quite sublime.

Half The Sky are playing RIO this year performing the music of Lindsay Cooper with Yumi Hara & Chris Cutler in the band & the Knifeworld bassoonist playing Lindsay's parts. I'm really looking forward to it.

Chris will also be playing with Yumi Hara, Jeff Leigh, plus two members of Faust (Zappi & Peron) as Jump For Joy.

Ian

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 08:19
Anyone here own the live release cut in Stockholm? 
One of those I'm still trying to digest - complete headscratcher of a listen. I imagine it would be a lot easier had I attended the gig.

Edit: Just checked, it's actually two gigs spread over two cities. Stockholm and Göteborg. 

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 09 2016 at 08:30
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 08:30
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Anyone here own the live release cut in Stockholm? 
One of those I'm still trying to digest - complete headscratcher of a listen. I imagine it would be a lot easier had I attended the gig.

Yeah, I've beem searching for the Stockholm tapes on Soulseek, nobody shares those (except for one guy, who shares the whole album as a private folder). Anyway, I'll look some more. And as always, I will probably end up buying the CD at a rip-off price.

I really like Legend-era Henry Cow, so I found this video extremely interesting. And suprisingly I can understand about 35% of French which I have never learnt! LOL Anyway, highly recommended!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 08:34
Doing a bit of sneak-peaking before you buy is probably the best way to go about it considering your recent review of 'Concerts'Wink

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 08:42
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Doing a bit of sneak-peaking before you buy is probably the best way to go about it considering your recent review of 'Concerts'Wink

Hehe, Tongue. It's a decent album and if you can get it at a reasonable price, pick one up. It's definitely an interesting album. First disc with Matching Mole tunes is neat and so are the Greasy Truckers session recordings. However... Meh, probably one of the least interesting works from Henry Cow. Down there with Side Two of Unrest, which I've been recently trying to get into (once again). But, nothing changed. I only enjoyed "Half Asleep, Half Awake", which is a very good tune. It's also a rarity, because it was written by John Greaves.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - May 09 2016 at 10:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 08:53
I do own a copy of 'Concerts' and spin it about as much as I do Area's 'Event '76'LOL 

Nah I prefer their studio work, which is funny seeing as I often tend to favour bands in a live setting. 

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 09 2016 at 08:53

- Douglas Adams
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 09:18
There is also an unofficial live album from 1978 with the lineup that is responsible for Western Culture. Not an excellent work, but a great listen nonetheless. And it has a sock on the cover LOLLOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 09:25
Socks are important. I'm not as conservative as they were though, colourwise that is. I own pairs in yellow, green, turquoise, purple, red, blue and orange. 
Would've suited Western Culture's cover art immensely with a green sock imo.

- Douglas Adams
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 09:40
Side 1 of Concerts is probably my favorite work by Henry Cow, the improv stuff on side 2 I really have to be in the mood for to appreciate. I have both box sets and find both very good and pretty essential for completists. If I'm honest I bought the second box mainly for the DVD of the live footage from France & I saw the first box at a very reasonable price at last years RIO so grabbed it. I can't name a favorite studio album as they are all good and I'll grab whichever I'm in the mood for, they are so different.
Ian

Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2016 at 09:40
I've been a big fan of H. Cow ever since the time of the first album--which I was first exposed to, believe it or not, on regular commercial American radio! It was the local classical station, which switched to jazz after 10:00 p.m. I first heard both Henry Cow and Oregon that same evening.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 06:09
Thanks for the Frith recommendations!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2016 at 06:45
Each and every HC album is superb. Hard to choose a favourite, although the track Amygdala is unbelievably beautiful. Love the Canterburian feel of much of it. The tone of Hodgkinson's organ is pure magic.
Western Culture is BRILLIANT. All their music sounds as fresh today as it would've been back then. I know many folks can't stand 'em.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>