Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHenry Cow appreciation society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 19>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2016 at 09:21
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

I would be happy to but not sure when I could get round to it!  I have got Pragma as well - but that's a really challenging listen.

I really like the 11-minute "String Quartet 1" from Each In Our Own Thoughts. Once again showcases the phenomenal Tim Hodgkinson's compositional skill.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 11:19
A pretty interesting question has just popped up in my mind today, you'll like this one. In the name Art Bears, is "bears" reffering to an animal or to a verb "to bear"? Also, is "Art" an allusion to Art Zoyd?
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 11:25
^ Looks to be the verb "to bear" - it was intentionally taken out of context from a line in Ancient Art and Ritual by the Victorian era classical scholar Jane Ellen Harrison:

Even to-day, when individualism is rampant, art bears traces of its collective, social origin.

- Harrison, Ancient Art and Ritual (1913)

Cutler says that the ambiguity was what they were going for, not any big relation to the name's original context.

Edited by LearsFool - May 24 2016 at 11:26
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 11:35
Just my guess: I don't think Art refers to Art Zoyd, but it does have the double meaning of being a man's name, so Art Bears--with Bear being the animal--is sort of a follow-up to Henry Cow. I always figured the bear to be a reference to the Russian symbol, which in those days was an emblem of communism.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 12:46
Originally posted by Michael P. Dawson Michael P. Dawson wrote:

Just my guess: I don't think Art refers to Art Zoyd, but it does have the double meaning of being a man's name, so Art Bears--with Bear being the animal--is sort of a follow-up to Henry Cow.

That had never occurred to me, but it makes sense. How narrowly we missed having a band called Derek Beavers or Winston Meerkat.

Edited by Mascodagama - May 24 2016 at 12:48
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 06:28
I am reading Bill Martin's 'Listening to the Future', anyone who knows his work will also know that he is a huge Yes fan.  However, he cites 'In Praise of Learning' as the most important album of 1975 and describes 'Western Culture' as possibly the last, great prog. album.  Worth a read.
Bradley Smith's 'Billboard Guide to Progressive Music' also reviews all the Cow albums - very positively I hasten to add. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 09:31

I am reading Bill Martin's 'Listening to the Future', anyone who knows his work will also know that he is a huge Yes fan.  However, he cites 'In Praise of Learning' as the most important album of 1975 and describes 'Western Culture' as possibly the last, great prog. album.  Worth a read.
Bradley Smith's 'Billboard Guide to Progressive Music' also reviews all the Cow albums - very positively I hasten to add. 

I have read the book and I liked it, but was not blown away by it. Edward Macan's Rocking the Classics: English Progressive Rock and the Counterculture is a similar book, but I liked it a lot more.

My dad has been a 23-year subscriber of The Wire. In issue 290, I found a phenomenal article on Henry Cow, which tells about their history and has a review of every album + some of the albums from Cow's members. An incredible skill in writing and a professional article. In short, a phenomenal read!

At the moment I am listening to Hopes and Fears, wanting to review the album today or tomorrow. So far it looks like a 5-star work for me, love it absolutely. Somewhere down the road I might find some flaws, so may change to 4 stars. Either way, I really like it.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 09:50
I enjoyed Macan's book as well - Martin is heavily into cultural theory but its always interesting to read different perspectives.  I also read The Wire but missed that Henry Cow article - I will try and get hold of a back copy.  Martin seems to think the mag is disparaging of prog rock, but I don't fully agree with him.

Hopes and Fears is a good album but given its context, it lacks the integration of the other two albums - at least to my ears.  I also prefer the live versions on the 40th Anniversary Box Set of 'On Suicide' and 'Joan'.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 10:03

I enjoyed Macan's book as well - Martin is heavily into cultural theory but its always interesting to read different perspectives.  I also read The Wire but missed that Henry Cow article - I will try and get hold of a back copy.  Martin seems to think the mag is disparaging of prog rock, but I don't fully agree with him.

Hopes and Fears is a good album but given its context, it lacks the integration of the other two albums - at least to my ears.  I also prefer the live versions on the 40th Anniversary Box Set of 'On Suicide' and 'Joan'.

But you won't stop talking to me is I give Hopes and Fears five stars, right? LOL

Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 10:11
Of course not - plus a 5 point scale is way too limiting for the calibre of bands like Art Bears! 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 06:40
Alright, my Hopes and Fears review is up right now. It was one of the hardest albums for me to review, but I hope I have captured the spirit of the work in my review. I hope you will like it. Smile Enjoy!

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1571091
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 13:12
Dang it's tough to pick a favourite from the 3 Art Bears albums, each has its own character.
I noticed with The World As It Is Today, the Mellotron that Frith uses sounds like it has mangled tapes ?? And the album is too short.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 06:00
It wouldn't surprise me if the sounds were deliberately manipulated by Frith. 

In keeping with the ethic of the time, albums were relatively short - better than padding with sub-standard material (once CDs took hold, the quality control imposed by vinyl sometimes disappeared!)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 07:59
Back in the mid-90's, The World..... was the very first album I bought with Daggie singing. It is an LP, I played most of the first song on 33 and thought WTF ?? I didn't realise is was to be played at 45
......out of town, myyyy worrk takes meeee out of town.........
Just listened to LegEnd - I'm convinced Amygdala is my favourite HC piece. Tim's organ playing is out of this world. Very Canterbury-ish track. Such a special album. And I love the sock artwork. More people need to be aware just how how amazing this band is.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 08:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Back in the mid-90's, The World..... was the very first album I bought with Daggie singing. It is an LP, I played most of the first song on 33 and thought WTF ?? I didn't realise is was to be played at 45
......out of town, myyyy worrk takes meeee out of town.........
Just listened to LegEnd - I'm convinced Amygdala is my favourite HC piece. Tim's organ playing is out of this world. Very Canterbury-ish track. Such a special album. And I love the sock artwork. More people need to be aware just how how amazing this band is.

Yeah, I've also listened to LegEnd yestarday and I'm convinced "Teenbeat Reprise" is my favorite HC piece Smile
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 09:37
^ Great review work, Tymon
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 10:26
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Great review work, Tymon

On Hopes and Fears? Thank you very, very much Smile
There is absolutely nothing better than hearing warm words about your review. This Art Bears album was especially hard to write about, because, as is often the case with RIO and avant-garde music, it is often difficult to capture the real spirit of the work.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 12:04
I can agree with that. The more 'difficult' the music is, the more difficult it is to convey in words. Some of my reviews are abysmal .
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 12:21
I've just revisited the first disc of the 40th Anniversary Box Set with early Legend-era recordings. I am so blown away! The full version of "With the Yellow Half Moon and Blue Star" is one of the most rewarding journeys I've taken in my life. So amazing. It has such a unique vibe going on right there, I can't really put it into words. The version of "Citizen King" is out of this world. Really recommended!
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 03:34
...and they are just some of the highlights from the amazing journey that is the Box Sets!
Another reason I respect the Cowso much is that they never bothered with empty reunion tours/albums - the legacy of the individuals and projects after Henry Cow is so rich, in some ways they don't need to (apart to please us fans...)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 19>