Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHenry Cow appreciation society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 06:03
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

EGG - The Civil Surface (near-mint $6)

So, so, so jelous. One of my favorite albums of all time. It's ridiculously expensive on eBay and Discogs. You're a one lucky man! Beer
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 06:19
I also have the original Caroline label vinylTongue

Edited by Flight123 - June 20 2016 at 06:24
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 06:23
^ around 21 years ago, now. And it was at some random stall-owner that had mostly 'regular' titles on offer, all LP's had no price tag, but his banner was 'ask for our price, we're cheaper' - that's it. I nearly wet myself when I saw the Egg LP - I played real 'dumb' and said " this looks curious, I'm not familiar with this Pop-group - how much ? " He looked at the condition and said. " 21 years old, you wouldn't pick it, it's real clean........how does 6 bucks sound ?? ". I had to keep calm........ and I gave him the dosh............... Yes, lucky me.   Similar with all my HC LP's.........right place, right time, right seller who didn't know just how special these items are............ 8 bucks for a pristine Unrest gatefold LP (on Red records) - Wow. $15 for original Virgin LegEnd, $15 for a neat Red Records In Praise Of....... $28 for an immaculate Concerts on the Compendium label, and 18 bucks for an immaculate Western Culture. That's a total of $84 for some of the most SPECTACULAR music that vinyl has to offer. It's just fortunate that next to no-one knows this Prog stuff in these parts........
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 06:25
^ Good call - yes, best to act dumb when it comes to rare prog...if the dealer senses you are on to something (and very few have any idea of what they are selling...)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 06:25
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

I have the original Caroline label vinylTongue!
Yep - Caroline.........similar Roger Dean label to Virgin..........
On the back photo, you can see Dave's Hammond keys are a little uneven across the board.............and he has a goofy face
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 06:27
^ Yes, those photos were the first glimpse for me of many of these musicians (the inside gatefold of the first Hatfield album was another one)
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 06:29
I have only seen Dave Stewart live only once - with National Health in 78, treasured memory.  Greaves had joined by then as well - had to wait another 36 years to see him again (as part of the Henry Cow ensemble for the Lindsay Cooper tribute concerts).
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 06:31
Don't start me! How much I wish I had Civil Surface or the original debut on LP! Man! I rarely ever get lucky with vinyl records. I bought Camembert Electrique for 30$ a week ago and feel a bit bad for trusting my animal instinct and buying it just because it was the cheapest eBay had... Well, at least it's original pressing in EX condition...

Anyway, I'll be trying to hunt down Civil Surface.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 06:39
^ now that's truly lucky, my friend. I believe that Dave is way more gifted than Wakeman. And it's not just the sound (oh, how fuzz-box organ just has a frequency sound-scope that makes me buzz, regardless of Hammond, Farfisa, Yamaha, Lowrey etc..). Dave's technique is way more superior to Rick's stringently classical styling. And I think, getting back to this precious Henry Cow thread, Tim Hodgkinson is up there with Dave.......and Mike Ratledge, Dave Sinclair, Robert Jan Stips............ I keep telling my keyboardist friend to invest in an old fuzz-box................
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 06:45

^ now that's truly lucky, my friend. I believe that Dave is way more gifted than Wakeman. And it's not just the sound (oh, how fuzz-box organ just has a frequency sound-scope that makes me buzz, regardless of Hammond, Farfisa, Yamaha, Lowrey etc..). Dave's technique is way more superior to Rick's stringently classical styling. And I think, getting back to this precious Henry Cow thread, Tim Hodgkinson is up there with Dave.......and Mike Ratledge, Dave Sinclair, Robert Jan Stips............ I keep telling my keyboardist friend to invest in an old fuzz-box................

There is no discussion about that. Dave Stewart is in my opinion prog's best keybooardist ever. Period. "Symphony No. 2" is the testimony of that. I can't imagine any other keyboardist in such a sophisticated, yet natural scenario. Tim's style is minimalistic, but equally great, similarly to that of Peter Bardens. The organ on "Living In The Heart..." is so moody and unsettling. As to Robert Jan Strips, I'm glad you mentioned him. He is also phenomenal!

Edited by ALotOfBottle - June 20 2016 at 06:45
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 06:51

I have only seen Dave Stewart live only once - with National Health in 78, treasured memory.  Greaves had joined by then as well - had to wait another 36 years to see him again (as part of the Henry Cow ensemble for the Lindsay Cooper tribute concerts).
You don't know (well, I'm sure you do........) how lucky you are to witness these things. Well, Neil Murray is an amazing bassist, but John was truly Canterbury.......and just that little bit better.
I must confess that I fell for Dave and Barb's 80's Pop stuff - quite a few tracks still offer some outstanding keyboarding.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 07:00
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

There is no discussion about that. Dave Stewart is in my opinion prog's best keybooardist ever. Period. "Symphony No. 2" is the testimony of that. I can't imagine any other keyboardist in such a sophisticated, yet natural scenario. Tim's style is minimalistic, but equally great, similarly to that of Peter Bardens. The organ on "Living In The Heart..." is so moody and unsettling. As to Robert Jan Strips, I'm glad you mentioned him. He is also phenomenal!

In all honesty, from my tender years, I have always been Canterbury, Sympho, Kraut, Space, and Neo. That's around 1987 onwards.........I've come across sooo many more things, and even indulging in select Tech/Extreme things lately. But, I've mentioned before, the Canterbugger's things are in my Heart and Soul........(and the Neo-prog of Pendragon).
I urge all you folks to discover Hugh Hopper and Alan Gowen's 'Two Rainbows Daily' album. Such beauty is rare.........

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 20 2016 at 07:03
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 08:16
^You got me on that one!  That is one album I have never heard - even at my grand old age, that is one recommendation I will take up!

I saw Hugh Hopper once only - playing in 'Going Going' (along with Andy Ward and Richard Sinclair) - a short-lived band supporting Gong Maison.  I remember they finished with 'We Did It Again' (also covered by the Cow with Wyatt)

Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 09:41
Two Rainbows Daily is superb! Hugh Hopper was my bass hero; sadly I never got to see him live.

The Doubtful Guest is fantastic as well--what an incredible combination of talents! 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2016 at 16:15
It blows me out to see such fine folks on this thread with incredible music tastes.
Now here I go, waving my 'eclectic banner' again, trying to plug a band that gets laughed at most of the time - I do wish more folks could see the cleverness and skill with Kajagoogoo - yep, pure 80's cheeze, but, man these guys are great musicians (Beggs especially), but aside from Limahl and his love of Pop, the musicians themselves are generally Prog-heads, and it comes through in many of their ideas, even in Too Shy.
......But let's get back to..........Western Culture............Hodgkinson's organ squeals on that opening track.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 03:22
...and I remember reading that the Bay City Rollers were really into Yes!  Witnessing the Henry Cow ensemble perform side 2 of 'Western Culture' is up there in my cherished moments of all time.  However, it looked like Tim had long abandoned his cloud decorated Farfisa in favour of an anonymous looking keyboard.  In fact, he was the most 'low key' of the original Cow members on stage.  It was Frith and Cutler that caught the eye, and Greaves when he got up to sing the News From Babel parts.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 03:38
I love when Greaves sings Binoculars (off Of Queues And Cures). You're certainly lucky to have seen that gig.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 03:50
I remember him singing that - he also had a music stand!  I can also remember Dave Stewart quipping that they were National Health and were on with other attractions such as 'Late Bar'.  I picked up a NH poster from the gig - sadly long gone.  On Last FM, someone got in touch with me who had seen them on the same tour and claimed that a drunken Phil Miller was being 'over familiar' with her and had to be led away by Dave Stewart! 
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 03:55
While on this Cow-related theme, did anybody see this?
http://calyx.perso.neuf.fr/pipfuneral/main.html

Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 07:59

While on this Cow-related theme, did anybody see this?
http://calyx.perso.neuf.fr/pipfuneral/main.html

Wow, looks like Dave Stewart has as much forehead as Steve Lacy and Todd Rundgren put together!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 19>