Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHenry Cow appreciation society

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 08:41
Originally posted by Michael P. Dawson Michael P. Dawson wrote:

Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

While on this Cow-related theme, did anybody see this?
http://calyx.perso.neuf.fr/pipfuneral/main.html

Wow, looks like Dave Stewart has as much forehead as Steve Lacy and Todd Rundgren put together!

Which of them is Dave Stewart?
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 09:10
Look under 'more individual shots' - he is next to Jakko Jakszyk (now touring with King Crimson)
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 11:05
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Look under 'more individual shots' - he is next to Jakko Jakszyk (now touring with King Crimson)

Oh, now I know! I was looking at the video. Thanks!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:07
Man, I'm just revisiting Of Queues and Cures and absolutely love it. I've been thinking... Maybe create a seperate Canterbury Collective sometime?
This thread just proves how many connections Henry Cow has with Canterbury scene. I've also just found out that Mont Campbell played a french horn on Desperate Straights, which makes it the only non-Canterburian contribution of his (excluding the phenomenally-crafted world music he has been creating in the 90's). I firmly believe Campbell is one of prog rock's best composers. The track that I believe is a peak of his genius is "Prelude" from The Civil Surface. It has somewhat of a Magma feel to it, but more importantly, I think this track is up there with compositions of Stravinsky, Bartok or Messiaen. Rarely does one manage to mix the elaborate musical complexity with incredibly strong moodiness that the piece has, Campbell succeeded. Just listen to the track and feel the unbelievable magic that it has!

As to Henry Cow stuff, I think I'll be aiming to buy Unrest on vinyl, preferably the 180 g reissue from ReR or the original Virgin pressing.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:07
Man, I'm just revisiting Of Queues and Cures and absolutely love it. I've been thinking... Maybe create a seperate Canterbury Collective sometime?
This thread just proves how many connections Henry Cow has with Canterbury scene. I've also just found out that Mont Campbell played a french horn on Desperate Straights, which makes it the only non-Canterburian contribution of his (excluding the phenomenally-crafted world music he has been creating in the 90's). I firmly believe Campbell is one of prog rock's best composers. The track that I believe is a peak of his genius is "Prelude" from The Civil Surface. It has somewhat of a Magma feel to it, but more importantly, I think this track is up there with compositions of Stravinsky, Bartok or Messiaen. Rarely does one manage to mix the elaborate musical complexity with incredibly strong moodiness that the piece has, Campbell succeeded. Just listen to the track and feel the unbelievable magic that it has!

As to Henry Cow stuff, I think I'll be aiming to buy Unrest on vinyl, preferably the 180 g reissue from ReR or the original Virgin pressing.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:08

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:30
^ Wow, double posting is not permitted, however, triple posting gets the point across
As is often the case, I seem to be the king of derailing threads. Perhaps we should start a Canterbury Collective thread - there may even be one from some time ago. Dave's solo at the start of Dreams Wide Awake is a ripper ! Whips anything from any other keyboard virtuoso !
And while we're at it, to me, Rich Sinclair's bass tone on Rotters' Club is the ultimate tone. And his playing is incredible.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:38
What have I just done with that triple posting thing? Man... Sorry for that spamming, I don't know how it happened.
As to Richard's tone, I did not really like it. I feel it has too much of the soft thump, typical of fusion bassists. But that's just my opinion. Undoubtedly, he is an incredible player.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 03:11
'Squarer for Maud' goes deep into Henry Cow territory.  Not only is Greaves in the band for Queues and Cures, there are also appearances from Georgie Born and Peter Blegvad.  The brass section (Minton and Rutherford) were from Mike Westbrook's band that merged with the Cow to become 'The Orckestra' in 77/78.  Phil Minton was also part of the Lindsay Cooper tribute ensemble and delivered stunning vocals that night...
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2016 at 06:12
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2016 at 07:36
^Hey, thanks for sharing that! "War" is an incredibly good piece in my opinion, as the writer said.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2016 at 02:12
Listened to Unrest yesterday and man... I was really underrating that album. I thought I had reviewed it too early a few months ago and ended up editing the whole review and rating. It's really good. Another thing is that my approach to free-form improvisation has changed immensly in the last months. Generally speaking, I'm more opened to forms that interfere with the aesthetic ideals set by the western society, if you will. So yeah, I highly encourage you to read my new review of Unrest. Amazing album. What do you think of it? Are you bothered or disturbed by free jazz? Tongue

Anybody still watching this thread? Tom? Flight? José? LOL

Edited by ALotOfBottle - August 18 2016 at 02:19
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2016 at 16:59
Unrest is an spectacular album in my opinion, there's nothing I don't like from it. For me, what makes Henry Cow's music characteristic is improvisation, while some pieces are not accesible (like Concerts, Disk 2), others are very interesting to me (Vol. 3: Hamburg, Vol. 6: Stockholm & Göteborg, Vevey '76 from The 40th Anniversary Henry Cow Box Set) All of them, in the same vein of Unrest's complexity. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2016 at 06:53
^Totally! There are quite a few fun facts about Unrest. "Ruins" was composed based on a Fibonacci's sequence, while "Half Asleep; Half Awake" (man, I looooove the piano prelude by John Greaves) was allegedly a "perversion" on Frith's youth favorite - "Got To Hurry" by Yardbirds. Amazing! Also, "Solemn Music" was the only released part of their soundtrack for the avant-garde interpretation of The Tempest. And the album was dedicated to Robert Wyatt and Uli Trepte of Guru Guru and Faust (which surprised me very much, especially the second one). Anyway, amazing album. Almost up there with LegEnd.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - August 19 2016 at 06:54
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2016 at 19:34
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Listened to Unrest yesterday and man... I was really underrating that album. I thought I had reviewed it too early a few months ago and ended up editing the whole review and rating. It's really good. Another thing is that my approach to free-form improvisation has changed immensly in the last months. Generally speaking, I'm more opened to forms that interfere with the aesthetic ideals set by the western society, if you will. So yeah, I highly encourage you to read my new review of Unrest. Amazing album. What do you think of it? Are you bothered or disturbed by free jazz? Tongue

Anybody still watching this thread? Tom? Flight? <span ="st"="">José? LOL
</span>
Always
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 03:35
I am not sure if it is still there but there is a podcast from the Steve Davies radio show where Chris Cutler discusses the making of Unrest.  http://www.phoenixfm.com/?s=Chris+Cutler

If I had to pick a favourite, then it would be 'Deluge'...

Yes, always monitoring this forum!!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 04:05
I'd love to resurrect this thread. It's been loads of fun. Smile

If any of you have listened to the 40th Anniversary Box Set (I'm not sure about, Tom, from what I can remember. Did you get hold of it or listen to it in any form?), check out the intro to "Ruins", the first piece on the 2nd disc. Man, this is such a great moment. Love how it builds up tension resolved in "Ruins."

Edited by ALotOfBottle - August 20 2016 at 04:10
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2016 at 17:55
Nope, I rarely buy CD's - I'm a stubborn Vinyl obsessive. This attitude has to change coz I guess I'm missing out on lots of special recordings/archival releases which will never make it to wax......
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 00:12
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Nope, I rarely buy CD's - I'm a stubborn Vinyl obsessive. This attitude has to change coz I guess I'm missing out on lots of special recordings/archival releases which will never make it to wax......

I'm a "vinyl junkie", too, I would say. But recently, I have rediscovered just how amazing CDs are. With the renaissance of vinyl, they are criminally underrated, while they often might produce even a better sound. Of course, with vinyl you get a) the warmth of analog and b) a musical artifcat (which I value very highly). Tellin' ya boi, what happened with vinyl in recent years might happen with CDs in not too long. Anyway, sorry for getting off-topic. Really, Tom, I highly encourage you to get hold of the box set (or at least the 1-5 volumes).

Edited by ALotOfBottle - August 26 2017 at 02:54
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2016 at 03:18
On the subject of vinyl - I bought IPOL on release from Virgin mail order - it was bent when I received it but my Dad manage to flatten it out!  I remember getting 'Concerts' on release as well - the Virgin shop had not even put it on the shelves - I got it straight out of the box!  I also have 'Leg End' on original vinyl too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 19>