Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat makes Yes music so good?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 09:47
This is a question that is not easy to answer. It seems that everything was in the right place in 70s Yes (what came later was still good but no longer outstanding in the same way). Jon Anderson's unique and beautiful voice; Chris Squire's less outstanding but still very good voice; the instrumental skills of the musicians; the refined arrangements; the way they perfectly played together; the deeply mindful lyrics; and especially the spirituality that guided it all. The result was perhaps some of the greatest music of the 20th century. It seems as if the music was not from this world but came straight from a place like Rivendell or Lothlórien. Roger Dean of course did not contribute to the music of Yes, but provided it with an adequate packaging.

Edited by WeepingElf - May 13 2016 at 09:47
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 16:12
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Because they didn't name the band NO

This comment deserves an award.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 16:15
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Yes
Just a fanboy passin' through.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 17:37
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Yes

No

perhaps it would have back in 2004..LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 17:41
They also mannage to contrast the shimmer with rage aka Squires Rickenbacher and Howes guitar runs, brings the certain edge to not make them so shimmering they dissolve in the vaccum of astral dissonance.

Edited by Icarium - May 13 2016 at 17:42
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 21:47
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Another thing that distinguishes them from many prog and other bands is that overall the mood of their music feels more positive. It's not that being sad, angry, grumpy or depressive is beyond their range but many other music that is emotionally deep tends to be more on the negative pessimistic side overall in one way or another. 

That's it exactly for me too, there is so much complexity and feeling for (the) music but at the same time it's so happy and gives so much positive energy. It doesn't sound like a contradiction of any kind but that part does it for me.

Another point I have really loved from the band for so long.
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2016 at 22:51
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Another thing that distinguishes them from many prog and other bands is that overall the mood of their music feels more positive. It's not that being sad, angry, grumpy or depressive is beyond their range but many other music that is emotionally deep tends to be more on the negative pessimistic side overall in one way or another. 

That's it exactly for me too, there is so much complexity and feeling for (the) music but at the same time it's so happy and gives so much positive energy. It doesn't sound like a contradiction of any kind but that part does it for me.

Another point I have really loved from the band for so long.

Agreed. Their music always has an uplifting effect on me. Jon's vocals soar to the heavens and carry me along for the ride. And what a ride!
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 03:27
Sly Stone is imensivly influentual to Yes positive sound
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 03:49
The total commitment and expertise in creating pieces that worked so well. Some were / are a bit odd but all part of the canon e.g. some of the solo moments on Fragile. Or the cha cha moment in Sound Chaser.

As noted above they, especially Anderson were very good song writers. The Revealing Science Of God is a song that instead of fitting into five minutes does so in 20 but doesn't have a stretched out feel - everything happens in it's good time.

They had the virtuosity to make complex music, the intelligence to make it cohesive and the sensibility to make it to an audience.

Not only did they have the ability to make songs but the technique to make classical music - e.g. the exquisitely timed and crafted masterpiece And You And I, brought to a climax  - before going into the heavens... a pop song would repeat or redevelop this idea but this does not happen much in classical music. Yes exemplify the best in progressive rock because they brought the art ind intelligence of classical and fused it with the personal approach of the good popular song. The also have, usually, the energy of a top flight rock band, the chops of jazz (Howe) and the always pretty good (heh!) Richard Wakeman.

Chris Squire's talent for teaming up with others and bringing new aspects to the multifaceted gem that is the catalogue is , I think, the key factor in initiating the creative spark within Yes. Whether it's the Trevors, Jons or the myriad of others who've appeared and disappeared he gets them to usually bring the best in them, right out. Usually. He and Wakeman are the ideal collaborators in Yes.

Of course having classical, country, jazz, rock guitars aplenty with Steve Howe helps things ever so much.

There are a lot of aspects to Yes and how they do what they did and the above is just a few examples.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 07:23
I remember when I was showing tracks of a few different prog rock bands to a guy who was mostly a metalhead, his response was pretty neutral until I played him Yours is no disgrace.  His eyes immediately lit up. I think that's the standout quality of Yes - they just hit you with so much energy and their tracks, particularly pre-Tales, are so catchy and infectious.  Bad words in the eyes of some prog elitists, perhaps, but that's what made them so successful without their actively crossing over into mainstream rock in the way that Floyd and Tull did.  I must part ways on the view that their lack of negative emotions is a great attribute.  I don't believe in the cliche of tragic = great art but at the same time confronting difficult emotions in music can be incredibly cathartic.  I never really got to hear that side of Yes; they don't even try. Everything is bright and there's no contrast.  Does beat bands that just sound generally grim and dark without being particularly soulful or touching, yes.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 07:42
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I must part ways on the view that their lack of negative emotions is a great attribute.  I don't believe in the cliche of tragic = great art but at the same time confronting difficult emotions in music can be incredibly cathartic.  I never really got to hear that side of Yes; they don't even try. Everything is bright and there's no contrast.  Does beat bands that just sound generally grim and dark without being particularly soulful or touching, yes.

Well, Gates of Delirium isn't all sunshine - but generally speaking I agree.

Still, there are a thousand bands to turn to for darkness and misery.  If I OD on good vibes listening to Yes a quick spike of Univers Zero through the breastbone will act as a corrective.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 11:05
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I must part ways on the view that their lack of negative emotions is a great attribute.  I don't believe in the cliche of tragic = great art but at the same time confronting difficult emotions in music can be incredibly cathartic.  I never really got to hear that side of Yes; they don't even try. Everything is bright and there's no contrast.  Does beat bands that just sound generally grim and dark without being particularly soulful or touching, yes.

Still, there are a thousand bands to turn to for darkness and misery.  If I OD on good vibes listening to Yes a quick spike of Univers Zero through the breastbone will act as a corrective.

I wouldn't say so.  I mean that I am not interested in the stereotypical depiction of dark moods that's prevalent in a lot of rock/rock related music.  I am interested in something soulful and uncanny, say like KC's Fallen Angel.  That's equally as rare as genuinely optimistic music like Yes. 
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 12:49
Many aspects of Yes led to a special sound.

Especially impressive to me are not only the quality of the musicians, but the contrasts among them.
In their prime, they were the ultimate 5-ring musical circus.

Squire - boldly taking the bass guitar where it had never gone before.
Bruford - deeply skilled drummer who thought he was in a jazz band.
Howe - perfectly at home simultaneously conjuring Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins while taking hollow body guitars to the stratocastersphere.
Wakeman - formal, classical-inspired keyboard style with an impeccable sense of tone and a knack for orchestration.
Anderson - astral traveler mixing impenetrable lyrics and imagery with simple, nursery-like melodies, thus cementing the uniqueness, accessibility, and positivity of Yes music.

A big aspect of the Beatles' appeal was the distinctiveness and individuality of the four personalities. I think Squire and Anderson tapped into this aspect very well by crafting a musical institution in which each band member had a unique musical and personal identity.

Another aspect of Yes I appreciate was their ability to change with the times and adopt new sounds and styles. This capability, IMHO, kept them viable and relevant for decades. When many bands were bulldozed by the '80s, Yes found a way to flourish and maintain a unique and vibrant sound.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 13:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Yes

No

perhaps it would have back in 2004..LOL

Maybe
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 14:27
The consistent inconsistencies...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 16:50
Mountains coming out the sky.  And standing there.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 23:16
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Yeah, my first thought about the "only possitive" vibe of Yes was Gates of Delirium. Though I can think of "Turn of the Century", "South Side of the Sky", and "Harold Land" as other example of sad songs in Yes (at least as far as lyrics go)... though I'm not 100% sure about South Side... though I understand it's not possitive at all... something about mountain climbing and it being dangerous. But yes, in general the possitive vibe on their songs is one of the things I really love from them.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 23:17

I remember when I was showing tracks of a few different prog rock bands to a guy who was mostly a metalhead, his response was pretty neutral until I played him Yours is no disgrace.  His eyes immediately lit up. I think that's the standout quality of Yes - they just hit you with so much energy and their tracks, particularly pre-Tales, are so catchy and infectious.  Bad words in the eyes of some prog elitists, perhaps, but that's what made them so successful without their actively crossing over into mainstream rock in the way that Floyd and Tull did.  I must part ways on the view that their lack of negative emotions is a great attribute.  I don't believe in the cliche of tragic = great art but at the same time confronting difficult emotions in music can be incredibly cathartic.  I never really got to hear that side of Yes; they don't even try. Everything is bright and there's no contrast.  Does beat bands that just sound generally grim and dark without being particularly soulful or touching, yes.

Perhaps you should have shown Gates of Delirium to this guy... I believe that one should be very interesting to a metal head. Or some Rick Wakeman.
FroggyGlenn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 00:12
The sheer talent of all the band members, the ambition that they have, and the fact that they are so full of energy and confidence. Like they don't really care if you dont like them, their music is like peering into a dimension of their own.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 08:18
Writing as a Yes fan, it became clear by Going for the One that the band did care if people didn't like them.  It was saddening to see Yes going the way of simplification as did so many of their peers around that time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>