Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - If you could remove any album from the 100 list...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIf you could remove any album from the 100 list...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 15:46
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant I had posted why in the unusual opinion thread. Smile

Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

I find In The Court of the Crimson King to be really awful. Not only does the cover just make me cringe, but most of the songs are either too boring, too long, or too improvisational for my tastes (Moonchild). I Talk to the Wind would be a really nice song if it was shorter, and the title track is okay but that's it. Also, I personally prefer "Pictures of a City" over Schizoid Man. Yeah, it's similar, but it sounds much cleaner to my ears.

I don't really like King Crimson to begin with, which is an unpopular opinion in of itself, but I do enjoy The Power to Believe and Red is okay.

WELL SAID!!!

I quite like Epitaph and the title track. I can listen to 20th Century Schizoid Man but don't like it. Moonchild is abysmal and I Talk to the Wind dull and too long.

And I really don't like much Crimson thereafter, except The Night Watch.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 20:05
The list is what it is. I look at it as nothing definitive. It's just what a few people like on PA.

The top album (Close to the edge) has under 4000 ratings. That's nothing.

Anyhow. I think the top 100 is interesting none the less.
I am always interested in what people like.

I like seeing SEBTP really high up there.
Godbluff by Vander Graf generator is a mystery to me. Lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 08:53
The rating system is what it is...Generally speaking, as ratings pile up,  things even out and the crème rises to the top.  Even then, one listener's treasure is another's trash.

I've used the system to explore and discover many great albums.  I figure that's what it's there for.  The ratings and reviews have made my search for the lost chord so much easier.  Because of Prog Archives I occasionally listen to Opeth's Black Water Park.   Although it's rated lower I'd rather hear Tales From Topographic Oceans, but I'm glad I got a few death metal classics for when that itch needs scratched.

I even dig the Miles Davis.   Even if Miles isn't prog,  it's the kind of music that appeals to many progressive rock fans.  For me? That's what it's all about.  

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 09:03
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

The list is what it is. I look at it as nothing definitive. It's just what a few people like on PA.

The top album (Close to the edge) has under 4000 ratings. That's nothing.

Anyhow. I think the top 100 is interesting none the less.
I am always interested in what people like.

I like seeing SEBTP really high up there.
Godbluff by Vander Graf generator is a mystery to me. Lol

I always liked the thought that VdGG team with up with Magma alumni for Vander Graaf Generator, or perhaps Vander Glao Generator (Vander Glao Gorkeulhzenht would be too Kobaian over-the-top for such a project).

Sorry, joking aside, I also don't see the list as anything definitive. Calling it Top Prog Albums has, I believe, misled some. I'd rename it "Most Popular Prog Albums (plus maybe some not Prog ones)".

Edited by Logan - May 20 2016 at 09:19
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 14:58
Miles' Kind of Blue is sweeter than honey but like peanut butter on pasta on the PA list.....just not a good mix.  However, In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew absolutely belong as does Cobham's Spectrum and DiMeola's Elegant Gypsy......they're - those specific albums, not the artists - probably better suited here than in the Jazz Archives.  

As for the list itself, I like it - not the actual albums/order....not even close, just the inclusion of old, new, borrowed and kind of blue.....better represents the broad spectrum of tastes at PA.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 16:07
All of them......let's start over Big smile
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 21:59
Sounds like Kind of Blue should be relegated to "Proto-Prog"--if it has had some influence on the creation or direction of the music that became known as "progressive rock."

Sound like there needs to be two sites: ClassicProgArchives (1958-1980) and ProgressiveMusicArchives (for current, up-to-date music that may have had its roots in the innovations of the 60s & 70s, [and 80s, 90s, 00s and beyond]). 

I say we bury the past--give the "classic era" its own web site, its own Top 100--and liberate the amazing modern music from the weight of comparisons to the past masters. Let each album by Bark Psychosis, Savatage, Kayo Dot, Homunculus Res, Cicada, Five-Storey Ensemble, Devin Townsend, Ulver, Steven Wilson, etc., stand on its own! Let the bands be free from categorization and pigeon-holing! Let's be inclusive! Let's love music again! THere is SO MUCH amazing music out there! Let ProgArchives do what it does best:  allows visitors to be exposed to music and information about groups, albums and things they've never known! 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Booba Kastorsky View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 23:18
Agree about Miles Davis: it's ok to have reviews of his works becasue they were important, but they are not prog by any strech. 
Agree that the following albums aren't good enough for Top 100:

Opeth - Still Life (don't get early Opeth)
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood (commercial success, but not prog success)
IQ - The Road of Bones (not bad, but far from top)
Riverside - Second Life Syndrome (ok, but nothing outstanding)

Disagree with the opinion that the following two must not be there:
Pain Of Salvation - The Perfect Element pt 1
Pain Of Salvation - Remedy Lane
I believe that pair above are probably the best prog metal albums of all time. Unfortunately, PoS after them mutated into something that I can't get into at all. 

Edited by Booba Kastorsky - May 20 2016 at 23:23
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 10:32
Miles Davis deserves to be on PA, for stuff like this...

Kind Of Blue is a jazz album from 1959 and has no influence on any rock music. The only reason it is there is because too many people gave it 5 stars (which it doesn't deserve...on a progressive rock site). Nothing released before 1966 should be considered 'prog'.

Magma America Great Make Again
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 10:43
^ I would have to agree with Zrav. It is silly to have a jazz album from '59. Why not Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring, which has probably more to do with Prog than Miles. Or Rachmaninoff, Bach and Mussorgsky? I hear more prog in those artists than Kind of Blue or Sketches of Spain, marvelous albums that they are. Fusion, yes, prog, no.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 11:31
They're not even fusion.
Magma America Great Make Again
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 08:40
I absolutely LOVE Supertramp, and Crime of the Century may be their finest album.  However, I think we should be honest.  How truly progressive is Supertramp's music?  To what extent were they making music that hadn't been made before?
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 02:48
I personally don't like about a third of the albums in that list. But in the end its about the average taste and ratings of all PA users, so I will not enter into a debate which albums should be removed

FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 04:07
I agree with Myles Davis not being on the list simply because if I ever wanted to complete the list, I would not be able to because of Myles. He might be a genius but I'm only into selective doses of jazz.

I'm also surprised when a recent release makes it on the list because it hasn't stood the test of time. Some new releases are lots of fun and thrilling at the time but after a few years the thrill wears off. They still remain in the top 100 though because of all the high rating they got during the first year of release. But the list is for the top most highly rated and age doesn't matter.
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345