Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich contemporary band will make the history?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 21:49
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

None. Music is now too diffuse and segmented, and prog too much of a niche to matter over time. In 20 years, none will be mentioned - except, of course, for the few old farts still posting on this forum. Wink

Well that's a defeatist attitude if i've ever heard (or read) one. Music isn't TOO anything. True, the genres have produced more subgenres than ever before but it's not without some kind of regonizable guide as how to navigate the whole thing. In 20 years from now things won't be any different than they are now in respect to tracing historical paths that led to whateever came after. I mean, really, is something in 1996 so far in the past that we can't trace it anymore? Music is more exciting now than ever IMHO if you have the time to keep up with it all. Since music is my addiction i am living in the best time of humanity IMHO. Just my food for thought :)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2016 at 21:50
As far as A band, i agree that none will ever be The Beatles or capture that kind of monopoly of attention, but maybe a diverse palette of artists will do so, so perspective for the changing of the times might be needed
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 02:27
With Wilson already mentioned i wud toss in:
Cynic
Agalloch
Kayo Dot
Gorguts
Deathspell Omega
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 02:32
Also Swans...coz they are still active..
serbring82 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 05:26
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I don't really think many (any?) of the above mention specific bands will be remembered in the same leagues as the originators, instead rather the particular musicians involved in them will be.

Steven Wilson absolutely will be - not just for one of the higher profile modern prog bands - Porcupine Tree - and his well-received solo works, but for the status his name brings to all those classic-prog album reissues - ie `The Steven Wilson mixes' of those classic discs by Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson, Jethro Tull, Caravan, etc. I guarantee, there's a ton of fans of those groups that couldn't give a toss about Ptree or Wilson's own music, but they know the guy is a go-to fella for superior production, etc.

I honestly don't believe acts such as Transatlantic, Spock's Beard, Riverside, Haken, etc (as much I love and enjoy their music just fine) will ever have a hope of being placed alongside the `big ones' of prog.

But...I do think the likes of Neal Morse, Clive Nolan, Roine Stolt, Tomas Bodin, Mariusz Duda, etc THEMSELVES will be considered important and influential musicians of the current wave of prog music (even though I know some of them are hardly young fellas anymore!).

Hope that ramble kind of makes sense?!

I guess it boils down to two things in the end:  a) X band gets so big that history naturally spreads it's legs. b) X band reinvents the wheel and adds to the genre something unequivocally new and unique.

I agree with both of you. I cited Haken, riverside and etc, only because they are among the most rated contemporary bands and I believe they are still too young to predict if they can be remembered. They do really awesome things, especially haken who released 4 albums rated of 4 stars in this website but they haven't reivented the prog yet.

You're comments brought me to think to all the famous bands from the past, how much many of them are remembered for their side projects, or frontman charisma, that is an indicator of their capabilities.  For example, I love Queen, but  I don't think Queen are remakable for their music, they followed the trend (prog in the beginning, then glam rock and hard rock)  but more their capabilities and their concerts. I think Maynard has all the above mentioned charactestics to be remembered.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2016 at 23:30
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

None. Music is now too diffuse and segmented, and prog too much of a niche to matter over time. In 20 years, none will be mentioned - except, of course, for the few old farts still posting on this forum. Wink

Well that's a defeatist attitude if i've ever heard (or read) one. Music isn't TOO anything. True, the genres have produced more subgenres than ever before but it's not without some kind of regonizable guide as how to navigate the whole thing. 

I actually agree with DE on this one. Generally, a new "scene" will also be a social event, or turn of events that brings out the new art forms and music. The bad part is the diffuse and segmented part of it all, that will (essentially) hurt the new choices, as it does here, when someone can not "fit" something into a spot somewhere, and this is the part that will require change in our thinking.

The need to recognize something, is something defined by a commercial society, that has to have a label and definition on something, in order for folks "to find it" ... and I would like to remind us all that a lot of this music, 45 years ago, was not available, but we managed to find it, and eventually it became known and appreciated.

Anything new, will "bust" the subgenre list ... because you can not define it ... and this is the hard part of it all ... not to mention having the ears to be able to appreciate it, as was the case in the late 60's and early 70's, of which we are so fond. However, a lot of the music "development" was already in place, since the end of WW2 ... and slowly gave us new things, kinda like one at a time, until the Beatles and Rolling Stones blew the doors open for everyone!  

Something like that! "Progressive Music" is not an "accident", and it naturally followed a lot of film, theater and other arts, some of which were much more expressive and independent, than we like to give them credit for. Nowadays, Fellini is like Amon Duul 2 (lots of dope, let's say!), and Bergman is like Wagner (so heavvvvvyyyy!), so to speak, at least in their attitudes towards their work. And of course, Godard is like Faust (lots of weird stuff and noise!).
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 06:31
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Battles are cool. To become a classic they need to become more multi-faceted over time, though.

Good call--  and yes they require improvement if they're to fulfill their destiny though I don't know if more facets is what they need as much as more focus.   But nice to see a few here appreciate them (especially La di da di ).

Discussing how some bands should improve/develop would probably make an interesting thread on its own. Anyway, when I saw them live earlier this year I found them pretty focused but I thought that more variety and contrast would be needed, not so much in style, rather in speed and intensity, if they wanted to play a 2h+ show and keep the audience in suspense throughout like a really big act. (I admit that some of my other favorites don't fit that description either, though.)
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 06:47
The Current Italian Scene will make it.

UNREAL CITY has released 2 excellent albums already, they 2nd is very impressive (solid 5 stars).

If Il Tempio delle Clessidre will find a better singer they are able to make it as well.
You may see a smile on Tony Banks´ face but that´s unlikely.
Son.of.Tiresias View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 07:14
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

As far as A band, i agree that none will ever be The Beatles or capture that kind of monopoly of attention, but maybe a diverse palette of artists will do so, so perspective for the changing of the times might be needed

They never really could capture my attention back in my younger days, maybe the Revolver was something interesting. That´s why I got interested in the so called progressive music, bands like GENESIS and Pink Floyd, Aphrodite´s Child, King Crimson, COLOSSEUM and BLUE ÖYSTER CULT... back in the day. 
You may see a smile on Tony Banks´ face but that´s unlikely.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 11:07
To be honest, no "progressive" (basing on the already established prog rock) band will make history. The heyday of prog has already passed many years ago. The genre will never be as fresh as exciting. Very few genres saw their revival with the same amount of passion, energy as they did originally. They may come in a very alterated form, but that usually makes them a lot different.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 13:08
I'm a political moderate and I've always voted democrat before this election, but I think what some are saying about multiculturalism being at times a suspect virtue may be one reason why this "progressive rock" idea is floundering a bit.  I realize you have to be a bit free to say certain things, because of knee jerk reactions, but I don't think European culture is held in the same high regard as it was in the 60s and 70s, and many people are trying to run from it, trying to prove that they are accomodating to others who don't share the same heritage.  The dumbing down and sexualization of music that has happened in the last 30 years really would be, and is,  appalling to a lot of people of older generations.  Maybe it's just that people need to focus on old books, old art, and so on to get a sense of what great music is again.  I was a cultural anthropology major at one point so I'm aware of all the reasons to love and respect people regardless of differences, but that doesn't make me love and respect European culture and heritage any less. 

It's clear that some think that certain bands will be remembered historically, but it's also clear that there isn't much of a group consensus that these bands are of that quality.   Maybe the force of prog rock slowed down because society around it slowed down.  That's just a personal choice, however, but when I listen to the pop music of the 60s and 70s, the feeling I get isn't really that different than the prog of that time.  But when I listen to the pop music of today, the feeling is very different. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 13:14
^I think the main reason behind this is that the music scene today is completely splintered. I reckon there are about as many interesting groups around now as there were in the olden days, but they exist in the shadows, where most (interesting) young folks also happen to reside.
The larger part of society doesn't see or experience this - especially if they're the ones who count MTV and mainstream radio as legitimate litmus tests of the younger generation (which they aren't at the moment - faaaaar from it).

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 21 2016 at 13:16
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 14:18
Originally posted by brainstormer brainstormer wrote:

I'm a political moderate and I've always voted democrat before this election, but I think what some are saying about multiculturalism being at times a suspect virtue may be one reason why this "progressive rock" idea is floundering a bit.  I realize you have to be a bit free to say certain things, because of knee jerk reactions, but I don't think European culture is held in the same high regard as it was in the 60s and 70s, and many people are trying to run from it, trying to prove that they are accomodating to others who don't share the same heritage.  The dumbing down and sexualization of music that has happened in the last 30 years really would be, and is,  appalling to a lot of people of older generations.  Maybe it's just that people need to focus on old books, old art, and so on to get a sense of what great music is again.  I was a cultural anthropology major at one point so I'm aware of all the reasons to love and respect people regardless of differences, but that doesn't make me love and respect European culture and heritage any less. 

It's clear that some think that certain bands will be remembered historically, but it's also clear that there isn't much of a group consensus that these bands are of that quality.   Maybe the force of prog rock slowed down because society around it slowed down.  That's just a personal choice, however, but when I listen to the pop music of the 60s and 70s, the feeling I get isn't really that different than the prog of that time.  But when I listen to the pop music of today, the feeling is very different. 

Well said. Myself I consider myself your typical European centro-left-wing voter (prog rock grew out of people with similar views). Anyway, I sadly do share your belief as to sexualization of music and more importantly the forgetting of European art traditions (on which prog relied on, didn't it?). I would like to believe that it is a natural order of things, that new musical generations come and go. But, I really feel like people saying there are no more musical subcultures, that would be connected by one strong belief or so, do have a point. I feel like most of resources have been used and a) we are going to repeat the same things over and over again or b) there is going to be a huge musical revolution, which would reevaluate and shift the subjective sense of modality in the western culture. The b option is of course near to unlikely.

I wouldn't want to sound grumpy and all, but I can quite confidently say that there will never be glorydays for progressive rock again (I'm talking the clearest form of progressive rock, not tech/extreme metal or other related stuff).

Thanks for the post!
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 14:44
Considering the influence and popularity of OK Computer and Kid A, I'd say Radiohead already have.

Plenty of bands on here have been innovative and have made history that way. But it also takes a level of popularity or controversy at the time of said innovation. There is some bands who achieve such a thing after their demise, but I wouldn't bet on it.

That said, the OP did add the caveat "like Dream Theater did in the 90s" which is a lower bar to set than what I initially thought the OP meant. I would say Godspeed and Battles were innovative but seemed to have missed their window. Sigur Ros, maybe. Deafheaven's controversial enough. Maaayyyybe Swans, though I think they've been more influential on the current post-punk resurgence. 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 15:54
Many bands will mean a lot to small numbers of enthusiasts.

However I don't think any bands now, not even Wilson or Radiohead, will be as "known and popular" generally speaking, in 50 years, as Floyd/Genesis/Zappa/Beatles/etc are to us right now.  Due to the changes in the industry and habits, I just can't see the Swans or Toby Driver or Steve Wilson being akin to Floyd (now) in the year 2066. 

They'll be respected by a few but they won't be household names like the 60/70s guys are now. 

SpookyGhost View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 00:13
Big Big Train is the essential prog band of this decade. They are probably the most popular as well
I don't know what to put here
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 08:15
Sigur Ros are around for some time already, but anyway, they seem to be pretty iconic to many people, also outside "prog" fan circles, and I think their music has the power to stand the test of time.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 04:18
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

This thread seems more like a 'name your favourite modern prog band' to me. Prog bands, in general, are not the best at leaving their mark on history. What we used to think of as big bands are today merely footnotes in old librarians collections.

couldn't agree more

Not the "history", but some music books (will there be books even?) would mention folks like Tool, Swans, The Mars Volta, Radiohead, GYBE, Mastodon as innovative and influential I guess. I doubt niche names like Wilson or Opeth or Dream Theater would make it - too non-mainstream (though popular) for the general public to care
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 18:11
The Neal Morse Band.
(Mike Portnoy has proclaimed their new one to be the best album he's ever been involved with - a cross between Tommy and The Wall. If true, then the Neal Morse Band will indeed make history.)

But on the reals - no current band has the kind of following the Big Six had back in the day so the correct answer is (unfortunately) none...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 15:45
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^I think the main reason behind this is that the music scene today is completely splintered. I reckon there are about as many interesting groups around now as there were in the olden days, but they exist in the shadows, where most (interesting) young folks also happen to reside. 

The larger part of society doesn't see or experience this - especially if they're the ones who count MTV and mainstream radio as legitimate litmus tests of the younger generation (which they aren't at the moment -faaaaar from it).

It's the same today, as it was yesterday, and 40 years ago. Nothing has changed except that in those days, some of us still had something in many colors and today we don't go around looking like clowns at 55 or 60.

Most of the music in the late 60's will be remembered as a part of the international events that brought about a lot of social change in many countries ... and the music, is now believed to be by many, an unifying factor, for its valuable content, feeling and humanity.

Most artistic scenes in any century, only last a few years and then dissipate. It is not usual for major art/music/literature scenes to last more than 20 years, even if the artist lives beyond that. He/she is still a representative of the time. 

For all intents and purposes, this would mean, in my estimation, that a lot of music in the 1990's, 2000's and 2010's might not exactly be remembered, unless the artist happens to continue working for 40 to 50 years, when the amount of work has a tendency to stand up and be counted. And this is the factor that a lot of material in the "lists" is not considering, when they are looking at preferences (as in an album!), rather than in an artist ... it makes for a popular contest, that I am not sure is going to be remembered in 75 years. 

However, including my writing here, a lot of this might end up getting swallowed by the media ... and how it behaves and shows itself in the next 50 years ... and if the commercial environment is still the control norm for most arts, the chances are that we will not have anything new for sometime yet ... and again, remember that most of the stuff that became known as "progressive" was not getting played in radio ... and it still got attention ... so we know it can be done.

I like to quote Guy Guden on this one ... when he was told that what he was playing was not rock'n'roll ... and he said ... who cares! It's great music .... and this is what you have to learn to say and believe in ... because the commercial side of things and its goons, is not going to go away ... you can hear them in every AM/FM station on the air! Or you can listen to them on Sirius/BS anytime! AND, they still don't "listen" to music, at all!

Edited by moshkito - May 27 2016 at 15:48
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>