Topic ClosedFunny Ways: Your Unusual Prog Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 15:00
Originally posted by aattiic aattiic wrote:

I love albums based on books or mythologies!

And the prog genre can supply you with enough listening material to last until you are 250 years old, even if no new prog album is released from today on Big smile
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 21:49
Redemption's cover of Love Reign O'er me is far better than that of the original and better than that of captain yodeler, Eddie Vedder of Pearl jam.

David Draiman of Disturbed writes far better lyrics more than 80% of progressive metal bands I know of.

Fields Of The Nephilim should be on PA

While Heaven Wept are not an epic doom metal band. That label angers me.

All 10 studio albums by The Alan Parsons Project are essential progressive music listening.

Dream theater are like the New York Yankees. Everyone loves to hate the best in the business.

Yes's Close to the edge is a masterpiece in masturbatory Prog.

Damian Wilson sings better than a canary.

I find 6 degrees of inner turbulence by DT a far better album than Scenes of a memory both compositionally and melodically.

80's Genesis is crossover Prog done very very well.

Between The Wheels by Rush is one of my favourite songs to listen to to hear a drummer show off in an unbelievably awesome fashion. Way to go, Neil! Crushed it.

I think Buddy Lackey (Devon Graves) is a better flute player than Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull.

Eric Clayton of Saviour Machine wrote the biggest and best conceptual progressive music of all time with The Legend trilogy.

The album, Out there by far exceeds any other work ever done by Rick Wakeman himself. Rick out w**ked himself on that one.

Devin Townsend is the best Canadian Prog metal artist of all time.

Indo/raga rock is pretty damn hard to love. To 'like' it is a challenge enough.

I still feel IQ and Arena are 2 bands that crush any other Neo act around. Sorry Fish era Marillion, you don't come close.

Hey. THIS IS FUN!   
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 22:27
We'll see how I feel later, but right now I'm feeling that Renaissance is the best symph prog band.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 08:05
Here's a couple oddball things where I part with normalcy...

1). I like listening to Tony Banks' The Fugitive more than A Curious Feeling, even though I rate the latter higher than the former.
2) I like Dream Theater's Falling Into Infinity and Systematic Chaos better than the rest of their discography. Both are among the lowest rated on PA.
3) I think Spock's Beard's run of albums during the Neal Morse era is as good or almost as good as the best runs from Yes and Genesis in the 1970s (I know, roll your eyes at me, please!).
4) I don't particularly enjoy the first three Gentle Giant albums, but I love every album from Octopus onward, including their last three (which all rate under 3.00 on PA).
5) I have listened to the entire Black Sabbath discography on YouTube, and none of them make me want to buy any of their albums. (I know, what the hell is wrong with me?).
6) I like ELO's Secret Messages album more than Time and I think On the Third Day was better than everything else they ever made (including Eldorado and Out of the Blue).
7) I think Genesis would have had a better album than Abacab and Genesis (1983) if they had replaced some of the sap on Invisible Touch with B-sides that didn't make the cut.
8) I think Phil Collins' solo career has so overwhelmed his earlier years in the public's eye (and in some cases on PA), that most people don't realize that he was once an incredible drummer worthy of being in the same league as Bruford, Peart, and Palmer.
9) I think Solaris' Marsbeli Kronikak and Steve Hillage's Fish Rising should rank higher and be in PA's Top 100. I don't think either one of them get the attention they deserve.
10) I don't care if samples of Mellotron or an authentic Mellotron is used. It sounds damned good no matter which one is used.
11) I think Styx was a talented band, but they never even came close to making that one album that would have cemented their prog credentials (I feel the same way about ELO).
12) I don't know what the big deal is about Radiohead.
13) I don't know what the big deal is about Barclay James Harvest.
14) I still don't understand how Peter Bardens managed to make nine solo albums and not one of them showcased the keyboard wizardry he did with Camel.
15) I think Pink Floyd's Ummagumma album was amazing, and I'm referring to the studio portion, not the live portion.
16) I don't know why I'm making a list. I'm more used to writing about diarrhea and doorknobs in the Off at Tangents thread.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 10:52
1) Crimso from '69 to '74 is my fave band of all time, but I could take or leave anything they did after.
2) I wish the 80's version of Crimso had followed their initial plan and kept the band name Discipline instead.  It seemed a much better description of their new musical direction and approach.
3) I love Adrian Belew's guitar work but find his vocals/lyrics way too unnatural and forced.  He comes off like a poor mans David Byrne by just trying too hard to be weird.  This doesn't bug me with his solo albums as I really like Lone Rhino or even his vocals/lyrics with The Bears, but as far as fronting Crimso he totally turns me off...worst personnel decision Fripp ever made.
4) I think Tony Levin is a fantastic stick player but only the 4th best bassist in Crimso history...second worst personnel decision Fripp ever made.
5) I think June 1967's Sgt Peppers was the very first prog album.
6) I think Simon & Garfunkel should be in PA based on the 1968 Bookends album which is eclectic prog.
7) I think The Grateful Dead should be in PA as Psych/Space.
8) I think The Tubes should be in PA under crossover prog...though I'd be happy if they were even considered prog related.
9) I think Queen should be a "full member" in PA under eclectic not just prog related.
10) I like the 1st Renaissance album with Jane Relf but absolutely cannot stand them later because of Annie Haslam.  A Belew/Haslam fronted supergroup would be my prog nightmare.
11) I think if Italian prog has it's own genre with RPI, French prog should have their own with RPF.
12) I think including 100+ Miles Davis albums that have zero to do with prog or rock on a site that defines itself as "the most complete and powerful progressive rock resource" just because he had a few highly ranked prog fusion albums is a farce.
13) I wish PA had an ignore feature Wink
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 11:28
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I wish PA had an ignore feature Wink

Or at the very least an emoticon that had its hands over its ear singing "LALALALA NOT LISTENING!"
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 14:10

A Belew/Haslam fronted supergroup would be my prog nightmare.

I'd probably listen to them night and day though. Big smile
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 14:28
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

11) I think Styx was a talented band, but they never even came close to making that one album that would have cemented their prog credentials

--Actually I think this is a common opinion, not an "unusual" one.  Styx never wanted to be a "prog" band...they were a rock band in the JC days and the Tommy days.  They simply had a keyboardist with some artistic flair that he put to good use in giving the band that warm '70s extravagance some people call prog influence. 

11) I think Styx was a talented band, but they never even came close to making that one album that would have cemented their prog credentials (I feel the same way about ELO).

--That first ELO album is in a different league than what came after it. 

Edited by Finnforest - May 25 2016 at 14:29

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 19:29

<span style="line-height: 18.2px;">1) Crimso from '69 to '74 is my fave band of all time, but I could take or leave anything they did after.</span><div style="line-height: 18.2px;"><div style="line-height: 18.2px;">2) I wish the 80's version of Crimso had followed their initial plan and kept the band name Discipline instead.  It seemed a much better description of their new musical direction and approach.<div style="line-height: 18.2px;"><span style="line-height: 18.2px;">3) I love Adrian Belew's guitar work but find his vocals/lyrics way too unnatural and forced.  He comes off like a poor mans David Byrne by just trying too hard to be weird.  This doesn't bug me with his solo albums as I really like Lone Rhino or even his vocals/lyrics with The Bears, but as far as fronting Crimso he totally turns me off...worst personnel decision Fripp ever made.</span><div style="line-height: 18.2px;"><span style="line-height: 18.2px;">4) I think Tony Levin is a fantastic stick player but only the 4th best bassist in Crimso history...second worst personnel decision Fripp ever made.</span><div style="line-height: 18.2px;"><span style="line-height: 18.2px;">5) I think June 1967's Sgt Peppers was the very first prog album.</span><div style="line-height: 18.2px;">6) I think Simon & Garfunkel should be in PA based on the 1968 Bookends album which is eclectic prog.<div style="line-height: 18.2px;">7) I think The Grateful Dead should be in PA as Psych/Space.<div style="line-height: 18.2px;">8) I think The Tubes should be in PA under crossover prog...though I'd be happy if they were even considered prog related.<div style="line-height: 18.2px;">9) I think Queen should be a "full member" in PA under eclectic not just prog related.<div style="line-height: 18.2px;"><span style="line-height: 18.2px;">10) I like the 1st Renaissance album with Jane Relf but absolutely cannot stand them later because of Annie Haslam.  A Belew/Haslam fronted supergroup would be my prog nightmare.</span><div style="line-height: 18.2px;"><span style="line-height: 18.2px;">11) I think if Italian prog has it's own genre with RPI, French prog should have their own with RPF.</span><div style="line-height: 18.2px;"><span style="line-height: 18.2px;">12) I think including 100+ Miles Davis albums that have zero to do with prog or rock on a site that defines itself as "the most complete and powerful progressive rock resource" just because he had a few highly ranked prog fusion albums is a farce.</span><div style="line-height: 18.2px;"><span style="line-height: 18.2px;">13) I wish PA had an ignore feature </span>Wink

2, 11, 12, and 13 are just GOLD buddy. Well said.

And now that we are on the subject of emoticons, bring back the [Headbanger] icon PA!!
It's hard to express myself with out it.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 21:18
I enjoy more Pink Floyd's live Jamming from their early period than King Crimson's jamming/improvisations.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2016 at 22:26
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I wish PA had an ignore feature Wink

Or at the very least an emoticon that had its hands over its ear singing "LALALALA NOT LISTENING!"

Maybe that should be my new sig LOL
Affek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 03:19
I really like "A Passion Play". To be honest, I find it more enjoyable than "Aqualung", and "The Story of a Hare..." is, for me, quite a masterpiece. Also, never really cared for "Sgt. Pepper's..." and "Pet Sounds". I find Zappa's "Freak Out!" much more innovative and fresh. And, goin back to "Sgt. Pepper" - "Magical Mistery Tour" is way better as an album.

Edited by Affek - May 26 2016 at 03:43
Prog Rock (1969-1977)
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 07:36
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

11) I think Styx was a talented band, but they never even came close to making that one album that would have cemented their prog credentials

--Actually I think this is a common opinion, not an "unusual" one.  Styx never wanted to be a "prog" band...they were a rock band in the JC days and the Tommy days.  They simply had a keyboardist with some artistic flair that he put to good use in giving the band that warm '70s extravagance some people call prog influence. 

Point taken. I honestly thought my opinion was rather uncommon after having been in a disagreement about how "proggy" The Grand Illusion was on another site some years ago. It's good to see I'm not alone on this opinion. Smile

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

--That first ELO album is in a different league than what came after it. 
Indeed. I still think Lynne had the talent to come up with something amazing in a more "proggy" sort of way. If the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics is true, I have to think there is an alternate universe where this actually happened.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 08:43
It would have been interesting to hear what ELO would have been if that guy that left the band after the debut had remained (can't remember his name).

And you're right that a lot of people call GI and Pof8 "proggy" for sure, so maybe that is fairly common.  But there are also lots of folks with your view too, who do not see them as a prog band at all. 

King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 08:44
I think Dream Theater's When Dream and Day Unite is by far their best album. I think it is one of the best Prog albums of all time actually.

I prefer the Rush Synthesizer era to the earlier or later period.

I think the second best Yes album is 9025. (the best one is Close to the edge)

Phideaux has only released 5 Star albums

Snow is Spock Beard's weakest album

Edited by King Manuel - June 06 2016 at 12:46
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 09:07

11) I think if Italian prog has it's own genre with RPI, French prog should have their own with RPF.

I don't think that Lard Free, Ange, Pulsar, Heldon, Tai Phong, etc. are so tightly connected sonically to make a separate subgenre. And there is already Zeuhl, that started in France. Big smile Also, RPI already includes many ELP & Genesis clones that don't have anything distinctively Italian apart from lyrics in Italian language, as well as Le Orme, Osanna and Area that don't have much in common with each other. As far as I can remember, it was originally called "Italian Symphonic Prog", but you could also derivate "Italian Eclectic Prog", "Italian Heavy Prog", and "Italian Jazz-Rock" from that, there are at least 2-3 quite original artists for each category. I'd say if any country needs it's own subgenre, it would be Spain (or Andalusia, for that matter). Big smile
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 09:33
^ I always wondered why Italy gets its own sub here. Not that i don't love the music, it's just that it doesn't say anything about the music. Area is avant-prog x jazz-fusion, PFM are clearly symphonic, Osanna is more in the heavy prog realms early on. Russian prog has unique features too, so IMHO we either include more countries to the list or get rid of the RPI category. 
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 11:03
Close to the Edge is pretty good but shouldn't even be in the top 50 prog albums in my opinion. Fragile is way better.
I like Time and a Word. Yea. I said it.
Watcher of the Skies makes me feel no emotion
Van Der Graaf is better than Genesis tbh.
PInk Floyd is meh. The best part of that band was their production values.
Cathedral- Stained Glass Stories is an overlooked masterpiece
Banco straying away from prog is the most disappointing result of pop/80's music for me
Steven Wilson is not a genius
I love Frank Zappa... but I hate his "satire" and "joke" songs.
Magma is the best live band that might be able to exist
Transatlantic is unbearable
Marillion is way too cheesy for me and I can't get through any of their albums
I still can't find any neo-prog bands that I like. The two I like most, Frost and Children of Nova, aren't really neo-prog.
Ever since Heritage I've been impatiently waiting for Opeth to write an album that hits the sweet spot between  something like Pale Communion, Blackwater Park, and Ghost Reveries. Instead of shifting into a new direction... I just wanted them to shift into all directions. I'm convinced it would be the best damn prog metal album ever.

I still hate Queensrhyche

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 12:53
I love Nektar's Magic Is A Child and Down To Earth albums very much.

King Crimson's second album is better and a more together record than their debut. (still like the debut, tho)

I don't like Osanna's Palepoli record at all. I was disappointed.

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 15:24
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

Close to the Edge is pretty good but shouldn't even be in the top 50 prog albums in my opinion. Fragile is way better.
I like Time and a Word. Yea. I said it.
Watcher of the Skies makes me feel no emotion
Van Der Graaf is better than Genesis tbh.
PInk Floyd is meh. The best part of that band was their production values.
Cathedral- Stained Glass Stories is an overlooked masterpiece
Banco straying away from prog is the most disappointing result of pop/80's music for me
Steven Wilson is not a genius
I love Frank Zappa... but I hate his "satire" and "joke" songs.
Magma is the best live band that might be able to exist
Transatlantic is unbearable
Marillion is way too cheesy for me and I can't get through any of their albums
I still can't find any neo-prog bands that I like. The two I like most, Frost and Children of Nova, aren't really neo-prog.
Ever since Heritage I've been impatiently waiting for Opeth to write an album that hits the sweet spot between  something like Pale Communion, Blackwater Park, and Ghost Reveries. Instead of shifting into a new direction... I just wanted them to shift into all directions. I'm convinced it would be the best damn prog metal album ever.

I still hate Queensrhyche

I couldn't agree more with these ones. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 17>