Topic ClosedFunny Ways: Your Unusual Prog Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 16:03
Originally posted by HosiannaMantra HosiannaMantra wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

11) I think if Italian prog has it's own genre with RPI, French prog should have their own with RPF.

I don't think that Lard Free, Ange, Pulsar, Heldon, Tai Phong, etc. are so tightly connected sonically to make a separate subgenre. And there is already Zeuhl, that started in France. Big smile Also, RPI already includes many ELP & Genesis clones that don't have anything distinctively Italian apart from lyrics in Italian language, as well as Le Orme, Osanna and Area that don't have much in common with each other. As far as I can remember, it was originally called "Italian Symphonic Prog", but you could also derivate "Italian Eclectic Prog", "Italian Heavy Prog", and "Italian Jazz-Rock" from that, there are at least 2-3 quite original artists for each category. I'd say if any country needs it's own subgenre, it would be Spain (or Andalusia, for that matter). Big smile

I do agree with your take on the various French bands...the only non-Zeuhl ones that I consider at all similar are the "chanson" bands like Ange & Mona Lisa....along with perhaps Versailles and Elohim.  Could be those unique sounds are also illustrated in the way many of them are nicknamed with Brit prog bands (Ange = the French Genesis, Pulsar = the French Floyd, Atoll = the French Yes, Pinhaus = the French Fripp, etc).

Honestly I'm just jealous that my fave non-English lyric prog gets treated like 2nd class citizens compared to the darn Italians who get their very own subgenre LOL
Enchlore View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 16:54
Tony Banks had an angelical voice in "The Shepherd" (a song from a Genesis box set where he sang a small part) and he should have taken the lead vocal role instead of Phil Collins after Peter Gabriel left (although I like Phil's vocal work on A Trick of the Tail).
If you like King Crimson, come over to the KC Discord server! https://discord.gg/6AYBxBD
HosiannaMantra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 19:16

11) I think if Italian prog has it's own genre with RPI, French prog should have their own with RPF.

I don't think that Lard Free, Ange, Pulsar, Heldon, Tai Phong, etc. are so tightly connected sonically to make a separate subgenre. And there is already Zeuhl, that started in France. Big smile Also, RPI already includes many ELP & Genesis clones that don't have anything distinctively Italian apart from lyrics in Italian language, as well as Le Orme, Osanna and Area that don't have much in common with each other. As far as I can remember, it was originally called "Italian Symphonic Prog", but you could also derivate "Italian Eclectic Prog", "Italian Heavy Prog", and "Italian Jazz-Rock" from that, there are at least 2-3 quite original artists for each category. I'd say if any country needs it's own subgenre, it would be Spain (or Andalusia, for that matter). Big smile

I do agree with your take on the various French bands...the only non-Zeuhl ones that I consider at all similar are the "chanson" bands like Ange & Mona Lisa....along with perhaps Versailles and Elohim.  Could be those unique sounds are also illustrated in the way many of them are nicknamed with Brit prog bands (Ange = the French Genesis, Pulsar = the French Floyd, Atoll = the French Yes, Pinhaus = the French Fripp, etc).

Honestly I'm just jealous that my fave non-English lyric prog gets treated like 2nd class citizens compared to the darn Italians who get their very own subgenre LOL

Well, that nicknames are unfortunately present everywhere outside of USA or UK. And even there you can find "Poor man's Moody Blues". But, I've somehow missed the comparison between Ange and Genesis, actually they somehow sound more as Peter Hammill/VdGG's take on Jacques Brel to me, at least on their debut. While Pulsar had some awesome Mellotron parts a la Tony Banks. And Pinhas at least arranged for himself to sound more as Fripp in early Kraftwerk than Fripp in King Crimson. LOL And I didn't mean to say that those bands are second class by saying that there's no need for separate subgenre, I just stated that RPI already contains bands as diverse as 90% of 70's British bands on this site. It's almost like having Camel, Family and Henry Cow under Rock Progressivo Ingleso. Big smile
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2016 at 23:15

Well, that nicknames are unfortunately present everywhere outside of USA or UK. And even there you can find "Poor man's Moody Blues". But, I've somehow missed the comparison between Ange and Genesis, actually they somehow sound more as Peter Hammill/VdGG's take on Jacques Brel to me, at least on their debut. While Pulsar had some awesome Mellotron parts a la Tony Banks. And Pinhas at least arranged for himself to sound more as Fripp in early Kraftwerk than Fripp in King Crimson. LOL And I didn't mean to say that those bands are second class by saying that there's no need for separate subgenre, I just stated that RPI already contains bands as diverse as 90% of 70's British bands on this site. It's almost like having Camel, Family and Henry Cow under Rock Progressivo Ingleso. Big smile

None of those nicknames really hold up when you start digging into the repertoire.  I think they were just a convenient way of trying to get people outside the French prog scene to give them a try.  I always figured the Ange=French Genesis thing was due to Christian's melodramatic acting out the songs a la PG.  The 1st 2 Ange albums always remind me much more of VDGG than anything else too.  As far as Pulsar=French Floyd, I think that one's so way off to be laughable.  Other than the sort of spacy intro to Strands of the Future, I don't hear anything remotely similar.  Oh well...if that's what it takes to get people to try out French prog, then whatever works LOL
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 06:49
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

It would have been interesting to hear what ELO would have been if that guy that left the band after the debut had remained (can't remember his name).

That would have been Roy Wood. He had a knack for picking up any instrument and playing it on the spot without any prior training.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 07:49
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

It would have been interesting to hear what ELO would have been if that guy that left the band after the debut had remained (can't remember his name).

That would have been Roy Wood. He had a knack for picking up any instrument and playing it on the spot without any prior training.

Wood was the "Brian Jones" of ELO?  Wink

I just remember last time I played that first album it knocked my socks off, compared to their later stuff which I'm fairly  ho-hum about.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 07:51
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ I always wondered why Italy gets its own sub here. Not that i don't love the music, it's just that it doesn't say anything about the music. Area is avant-prog x jazz-fusion, PFM are clearly symphonic, Osanna is more in the heavy prog realms early on. Russian prog has unique features too, so IMHO we either include more countries to the list or get rid of the RPI category. 

This thought has crossed my mind more than once over the years. I've been listening to a lot of groups outside of the Anglo-American area and I find nearly all of them have incorporated some local and national attributes into their form of prog rock. I don't find a sonic connection between all the RPI groups; their styles are across all of the prog subgenres. I also re-read the fourth section on the RPI description on PA titled "Musical features of RPI" and a lot of these features can be found in other countries as well, except for the Italian language. Are not classical influences, national musical traditions, romanticism, baroque influences, theatric/operatic vocals, quiet-loud-quiet transitions, and exotic instruments also found in prog groups from other countries?

If you listen to several groups from France, isn't there a "French-ness" to their music? A "German" quality to German groups? A Spanish quality to Spanish groups? A Polish quality to Polish groups? A British quality to British groups?  A Swedish quality to Swedish groups? A Japanese quality to Japanese groups? Etc., etc, etc. Each country or region adds something to their local blend of prog rock.

I am by no means an expert on any of this. I've been listening to a lot of RPI over the last year and am really enjoying it. Yes, there is a clear Italian or Mediterranean quality to the music. But I also get this same feeling when listening to music from other countries. Perhaps I just don't get the distinction? Perhaps I need to be enlightened? Perhaps I need a few more years of listening to RPI under my belt???
----------
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 08:01
If you guys have trouble understanding the reasoning behind PAs inclusion of RPI as a genre of prog rock, then why not read up on it? 
It's all right hereSmile

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 08:44
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

If you guys have trouble understanding the reasoning behind PAs inclusion of RPI as a genre of prog rock, then why not read up on it? 
It's all right hereSmile

Cheers, Dave....I didn't have the patience, the frame of mind or deodorant strong enough to last how long it would take to explain the differences this time around (plus my back is killing me at the moment!), so nice save, pal!
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 08:51
I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I'm also probably not the only person on Prog Archives to say it.  However, the forum section is so large that it's a little hard to search.  I think The Cure are more creative and innovative than many neo-prog or post-rock bands.  They would fit very nicely under the Prog Related banner.
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 11:18
I'm re-evaluating my previous post about RPI. It hadn't dawned on me that there are some subgenres that are linked geographically (mostly, but not always), such as Canterbury, Zeuhl, and Krautrock. I think my difficulties lie with how eclectic RPI is. Well, regardless of the confusion, RPI has been a wonderful experience for me even if I don't necessarily know why things are the way they are.

----------
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 12:17
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I'm re-evaluating my previous post about RPI. It hadn't dawned on me that there are some subgenres that are linked geographically (mostly, but not always), such as Canterbury, Zeuhl, and Krautrock. I think my difficulties lie with how eclectic RPI is. Well, regardless of the confusion, RPI has been a wonderful experience for me even if I don't necessarily know why things are the way they are.

Exploring the genres and unearthing stuff you wouldn't necessarily expect to find there is part of the fun!

I mean I'm not really that into what you might characterise as classic RPI - the lushly symphonic bands with lovely lyrical melodies and grandiloquent vocals - but a lot of the stuff around the "edges" of the genre is pure gold to me.
FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 05:49
I guess it's easier to say which albums don't impress me as much as the general prog public. I liked Renaissance's Prologue but haven't been able to get into Scheherazade. I prefer Genesis' Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme over Selling England... I do love three songs off the Yes album so much that I actually like the album more than Fragile and Close to the Edge, even though I like songs on those two albums nearly as much. Thick as a Brick has some great moments but the whole thing doesn't excite me. Lamb Lies Down... It's a chore to listen to the whole thing at once.

The list goes on I guess. Sometimes the albums with a lot of mixed reviews appeal to me more than the classics that everyone loves. Van der Graaf Generator, King Crimson, The Soft Machine... Some of these are in my collection only for a track or two or they still haven't won my wallet open yet.  

We all have our opinions on music, eh?
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
Seventh Arrow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 09:54
For whatever reason, I can't get into 90's prog. Maybe because the synthesizer sounds back then were kind of cheesy. I think the only exception so far is "The Wake" by IQ.
Lewa View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 10:56
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Originally posted by Lewa Lewa wrote:

Hi. Could you perhaps recommend a clean vocals Opeth album?

I didn't even know they had them and might give them another chance.

Damnation (2003)
Heritage (2011)
Pale Communion (2014)

Those are the 3 whole non-grunting albums they have released so far, though surely they will continue that way. What dissapoints me is that those albums have just about no metal in theim either, and I wanted metal Opeth without grunting. Now, besides those albums, there are some songs without grunting that I also like a lot:
- Soldier of Fortune (Deep Purple cover).
- Remember Tomorrow (Iron Maiden cover).
- Would? (cover also, I just forgot from who... I think Alice in Chains).
- Den Standinga Resan (Marie Fredrickson cover... yes, the one from Roxette).
- Epilogue.
- Face of Melinda.
- Harvest.
- A Fair Judgement.
- Atonement.

And Watershed, though still a grunting album, has already many songs without them:
- Coil.
- Burden.
- Porcelain Heart.
- Hex Omega.

Also, I very much prefer the live version of Damnation on the album "Lamentations", specially Closure, which is my favourite song from the album (and one of my favourites from the band). And "The Drapery Falls" though it's got grunting, is so brilliant that I can't help but love it, specially the version on Lamentations too.

Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed song-by-song information.

This is immensly helpful.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 22:14

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Damnation (2003)
Heritage (2011)
Pale Communion (2014)

Those are the 3 whole non-grunting albums they have released so far, though surely they will continue that way. What dissapoints me is that those albums have just about no metal in theim either, and I wanted metal Opeth without grunting. Now, besides those albums, there are some songs without grunting that I also like a lot:
- Soldier of Fortune (Deep Purple cover).
- Remember Tomorrow (Iron Maiden cover).
- Would? (cover also, I just forgot from who... I think Alice in Chains).
- Den Standinga Resan (Marie Fredrickson cover... yes, the one from Roxette).
- Epilogue.
- Face of Melinda.
- Harvest.
- A Fair Judgement.
- Atonement.

And Watershed, though still a grunting album, has already many songs without them:
- Coil.
- Burden.
- Porcelain Heart.
- Hex Omega.

Also, I very much prefer the live version of Damnation on the album "Lamentations", specially Closure, which is my favourite song from the album (and one of my favourites from the band). And "The Drapery Falls" though it's got grunting, is so brilliant that I can't help but love it, specially the version on Lamentations too.

Wow! Thank you so much for the detailed song-by-song information.

This is immensly helpful.

Well, I was exactly in your same dilemma when I was interested to get to know Opeth... and that was before Heritage and Pale Comunion, actually, so I know this information would be very useful. I don't remember if someone actually gave me such a list, or more likely I just found it in a post of an Opeth thread... but I might have had to look for such songs in several threads and posts and reviews... but I guess there must have been one particular very useful post/thread. However, I have all this songs in my ITunes Opeth list, so it was very easy to open it and check them out. Many of this songs I actually bought individually on ITunes, for I wouldn't want the whole album. There's one song I also liked I wasn't able to buy because it was over 10 minutes, I think it's "To Bid you Farewell".
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 23:57
- Phish is deserving of eclectic prog status
- Phil Collins Genesis is superior to Peter Gabriel's, specifically their self-titled in '83
- I like Electric Cafe / Techno Pop
- Piper At The Gates of Dawn is terrible
- I don't care for Magma and I strongly dislike ELP
- Progressive metal overall is a joke of a genre
- Dave Matthews Band has prog elements
- Atom Heart Mother outstrips Echoes in terms of quality
- Shine On You Crazy Diamond is undeservingly overrated compared to the rest of WYWH
- My least favorite Yes album is Close To The Edge
- Thick as a Brick is not even close to JT's best work
- I hate Robert Fripp with passion (that may not be too controversial), as well as dislike most of KC's work.

A bit harsh, sorry. Embarrassed

Edited by aglasshouse - June 03 2016 at 00:14
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 02:19
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

- Phish is deserving of eclectic prog status
- Phil Collins Genesis is superior to Peter Gabriel's, specifically their self-titled in '83
- I like Electric Cafe / Techno Pop
- Piper At The Gates of Dawn is terrible
- I don't care for Magma and I strongly dislike ELP
- Progressive metal overall is a joke of a genre
- Dave Matthews Band has prog elements
- Atom Heart Mother outstrips Echoes in terms of quality
- Shine On You Crazy Diamond is undeservingly overrated compared to the rest of WYWH
- My least favorite Yes album is Close To The Edge
- Thick as a Brick is not even close to JT's best work
- I hate Robert Fripp with passion (that may not be too controversial), as well as dislike most of KC's work.

A bit harsh, sorry. Embarrassed

I agree with most of this.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 10:11
Why is it that prog fans are always appeasing punk by saying so-and-so thickie-dunce punk liked such-and-so-forth prog band so therefore it (prog band) must be good. Bit passive-aggressive approval seeking no?
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2016 at 02:56
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

->I can't stand Rush, not because the Hard-Prog style, but the Lee's Vocal are terrible!
I agree! For this reason I never really got into Rush music.

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Anything that Peter Hammill sings on is more or less overwrought and excruciating, and I cringe most of the time when I hear his histrionic wail.
A shame, because I can tell the music of VdGG behind his voice is terrific.
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I think Matthew Parmenter a far superior singer, performer than Peter Hammill
Finally someone said it! I like the music of VdGG but the vocals irritate me sometimes. I think Hammill uses too much tremolo in his singing. One of the reasons that I prefer Discipline over VdGG.

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

I feel that here are prejudices against women in prog world.
Is this an unusual prog opinion? I am afraid, it is simply the truth ...Cry

Damnation (2003)
Heritage (2011)
Pale Communion (2014)
Heritage and Pale Communion are two of my favourite prog albums! Thumbs Up
When I first heard them I thought: wow, finally they are doing prog!
I do not care about the rest of Opeth's discography.

So now my very unusual prog opinion:

- Supertramp is one of my favourite bands (next to King Crimson, Yes and Genesis),
and I also like the solo albums of Roger Hodgson.  Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 17>