Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - King Crimson - Live At The Marquee - Aug. 10, 1971
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson - Live At The Marquee - Aug. 10, 1971

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson - Live At The Marquee - Aug. 10, 1971
    Posted: May 16 2016 at 14:17
I'm surprised this hasn't been put in the featured albums of King Crimson's live section. A shame, since this is a nice live document of the Islands line-up, and with good sound to boot.

Not surprisingly, a lot of the material here was for the aforementioned album, presented as works-in-progress, especially where Peter Sinfield's lyrics are concerned. While not as good as their final versions, they're at least entertaining; "The Letters" and "Ladies Of The Road" arguably rock even harder than their studio counterparts, "Sailor's Tale" focuses more on Collin's flute playing and "Formentera Lady" is more stripped down, to the point that the bridge between this line-up and the Wetton-era doesn't seem so crazy. 

For the oldies, "21st Century Schizoid Man" and "Pictures Of A City" rock as usual and "Cadence And Cascade" has a nice vocal treatment from Boz. The best of the lot has to go to "Cirkus", given a slower, more hypnotic feel. 

The real catch of the set, however, is an extended improv where the boys show off material that would make up "Larks Tongues In Aspic, Part 1" and, to a lesser extent, "Lament". Unfortunately, it kind of drags a bit in the second half with the drum solo bit, but at least it nice to hear Sinfield filter it with VCS3. It wouldn't surprise me if Emerson, Lake & Palmer saw Crimson doing this at one their shows and got idea for the drum synths they used in "Toccata". 

Kudos to Robert Fripp and the guys at DGM for finding and releasing this.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2016 at 16:52
You inspired me to listen to it again right now.

I think you're right that the "improv" is the most interesting thing here.  Apart from that I generally prefer the Summit Studios recording.

"Triangle!!  Cow bell!!!"

Edited by Mascodagama - May 16 2016 at 16:58
 Post Reply Post Reply