Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMixed Tapes - DIY Compilations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixed Tapes - DIY Compilations
    Posted: May 17 2016 at 00:45
Post your own home made compilations here. Discuss any theme you went for and what thoughts you may have had about continuity. Some critical rules for the purpose of this thread are that the tracks must not be compressed and they must fit on a CD when burned.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 01:08
I'll go first. I put together a Jade Warrior compilation. I was trying to blend old and new eras. It went together like this:

1. Winter Curtain Cave (Released)
2. On the Mountain of Fruit and Flowers (Fifth Element)
3. English Morning (Eclipse)
4. Three-Horned Dragon King (Released)
5. Sanga (Eclipse)
6. Yam Jam (Fifth Element)
7. Dark River (Last Autumn's Dream)
8. Too Many Heroes (Eclipse)
9. Waterfall (Floating World)
10. Obedience (Last Autumn's Dream)
11. Mwenga Sketch (Eclipse)
12. Yellow Eyes (Released)
13. A Winter's Tale (Last Autumn's Dream)
14. Red Lotus (Floating World)
15. Journey (Now)

It sounds quite nice altogether, a nice thing to have in the car on longer road trips, which are commonplace in Oklahoma here. It has nice continuity that is reflective of both the band's hard and soft sides. It's nice, for instance, to have the mellow songs Yellow Eyes and A Winter's Tale right next to each other for direct comparison. A Winter's Tale was originally followed by Snake Bite, but I have it followed by the comparably heavy and dynamic, Red Lotus, from the later era on Floating World. A good selection of songs are from the previously unreleased albums Eclipse and Fifth Element, which helps unite everything. Drawbacks; there is nothing from the first album, Jade Warrior s/t, there is also nothing from some later albums such as Kites, Way of the Sun and so on. There is one from the 2000s album, Now. Comments? Likes? Dislikes?

Edit: I put the album titles after the songs.

Edited by HackettFan - May 22 2016 at 00:12
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 10:31
This year, with the release of 4 1/2, I've been able to make an expanded edition of The Raven That Refused To Sing with three stylistically similar outtakes:

1) "Luminol"
2) "Drive Home"
3) "The Holy Drinker"
4) "Year of The Plague"
5) "The Pin Drop"
6) "Sunday Rain Sets In"
7) "The Watchmaker"
8) "Vermillioncore"
9) "The Raven That Refused To Sing"
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 14:04
I don't have the track lists at hand but here are some titles of the mixed CD's I've made:

Assorted Compact Disk Rock
Assorted Relaxing Bubblebath Rock
Assorted Mellow Progressive Rock
Assorted 21st Century Rock
Assorted Progressive Dance Rock
Assorted Heart Racing Rock
Assorted New Wave Rock
Assorted Fitness Motivational Rock
Assorted Summer Sunnin' Rock
Assorted Screamin' Guitar Rock
Assorted Progressive Rowdy Rock
Assorted Frenzied Guitar Rock
Assorted Digital Bop Rock
Assorted Jazzy Blues Rock
Assorted Hyper Obnoxious Rock
Assorted 80's Pop Rock
Assorted Hippy Bellbottom Rock
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 19:21
^I hope you'll share the titles when you get the info together. Consider me intrigued by any subtle or not so subtle differences between your Screemin' Guitar Rock and your Frenzied Guitar Rock!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 22:21
This is the one I would think to introduce someone to symphonic prog. Mainly thinking about big 6 bands, all british, all 70's (almost).
- Pink Floyd: Shine On you Crazy Diamond (first half).
- King Crimson: The Court of the Crimson King.
- Yes: And You And I.
- ELP: Tarkus (edit, Eruption / Stones of Years / Battlefield).
- Genesis: Firth of Fifth.
- Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick (Live Bursting Out version).
- King Crimson: Starless (live version from Collectible King Crimson Vol 1, Disc 1).

I have King Crimson twice because the line-up between both songs is completley different between the two songs, except for Robert Fripp himself. Another one I wanted to do, but didn't fit in a single CD was one with the most iconic prog epics:

- Yes: Close to the Edge.
- Genesis: Supper's Ready.
- ELP: Tarkus.
- Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick (side 1).
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 11:54

Back in the LP/cassette era I used to make single band assortment tapes on 120 minute cassettes - Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, Focus.  Alas, my entire cassette collection went under water in 2009 and I can't share the any of the sets off the top of my head.  One of my favorites was one of Eno's ambient material.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 14:02
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

^I hope you'll share the titles when you get the info together. Consider me intrigued by any subtle or not so subtle differences between your Screemin' Guitar Rock and your Frenzied Guitar Rock!
I'm in Kentucky on business right now and these CD's are at home, When I get back I'll definitely pull them out and repost the track list.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 17:43
Originally posted by LearsFool LearsFool wrote:

This year, with the release of 4 1/2, I've been able to make an expanded edition of The Raven That Refused To Sing with three stylistically similar outtakes:

1) "Luminol"
2) "Drive Home"
3) "The Holy Drinker"
4) "Year of The Plague"
5) "The Pin Drop"
6) "Sunday Rain Sets In"
7) "The Watchmaker"
8) "Vermillioncore"
9) "The Raven That Refused To Sing"
Just got listening to all of these in the order listed. Very nice. I had to listen via YouTube. I've been on the verge of buying some of Steven Wilson's stuff, but never followed through. I'll definitely have to check him out further now.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 17:54
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

This is the one I would think to introduce someone to symphonic prog. Mainly thinking about big 6 bands, all british, all 70's (almost).
- Pink Floyd: Shine On you Crazy Diamond (first half).
- King Crimson: The Court of the Crimson King.
- Yes: And You And I.
- ELP: Tarkus (edit, Eruption / Stones of Years / Battlefield).
- Genesis: Firth of Fifth.
- Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick (Live Bursting Out version).
- King Crimson: Starless (live version from Collectible King Crimson Vol 1, Disc 1).

I have King Crimson twice because the line-up between both songs is completley different between the two songs, except for Robert Fripp himself. Another one I wanted to do, but didn't fit in a single CD was one with the most iconic prog epics:

- Yes: Close to the Edge.
- Genesis: Supper's Ready.
- ELP: Tarkus.
- Jethro Tull: Thick as a Brick (side 1).
Nice. It really represents the big six, indeed. It certainly runs the gamut in terms of different moods, especially in the first three alone. It's hard to do a compilation with really long epics, true.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2016 at 00:39
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

I'm in Kentucky on business right now and these CD's are at home, When I get back I'll definitely pull them out and repost the track list.
Safe travels!
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 06:56

Consider me intrigued by "Assorted Hyper Obnoxious Rock"
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 08:19
I use the playlist option on my iPod to make up various assortments.  I have one for "Songs that are great for singing along to in the car", "Songs that are great for cooking" (a lot of overlap there), "folk songs assortment",  and - my favorite - "Best of Yes concerts" (Yes live songs with all the songs you wish they would play at one concert, and the best versions of each).
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2016 at 08:31
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Consider me intrigued by "Assorted Hyper Obnoxious Rock"
I had this one for bike riding in my 20's. Kept the legs moving fast. A lot of punk'ish stuff like the Vibrators.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 23:53
Here's a Steve Hackett mix I put together. It features mainly material from beyond 2000 (aside from Ballad of the Decomposing Man and Sentimental Institution). It's mainly instrumental as I'm apt to do. I used a similar mix for many road trips, but I just tweaked it a bit. It's a real good listen and perspective on his more recent stuff. As usual, I paid special attention to the transitions from the end of each piece to the beginning of the next. Some of the transitions are a little dicey, though, in spite of my efforts. I tried to capture a good mixture of alternating hard and soft material.

Here it is:

1. Tubehead
2. Transylvanian Express
3. Dust and Dreams
4. Howl
5. Four Winds: East
6. She said Maybe
7. Eruption: Tommy
8. The Silk Road
9. The Ballad Of The Decomposing Man (featuring "The Office Party")
10. Sentimental Institution
11. Why
12. The Phoenix Flown
13. Prairie Angel
14. Ghost in the Glass
15. Two Faces of Cairo
16. Pollution C (Live)
17. Wind, Sand and Stars
18. Serpentine Song
19. Out of the Body

JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2016 at 14:52
Well speaking of tweaking (no...not twerking) I removed all the radio talk and about three or four songs from the Queens of the Stone Age's first album and find it's a much stronger album that way. I found the radio chat really interrupted the flow of the album for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 19:30
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Well speaking of tweaking (no...not twerking) I removed all the radio talk and about three or four songs from the Queens of the Stone Age's first album and find it's a much stronger album that way. I found the radio chat really interrupted the flow of the album for me.
True, one reason for putting together a mix is to bring together disparate yet related material from different productions. Another reason, for sure, is to just bypass some material you'd rather not bother with.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 19:36
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

I use the playlist option on my iPod to make up various assortments.  I have one for "Songs that are great for singing along to in the car", "Songs that are great for cooking" (a lot of overlap there), "folk songs assortment",  and - my favorite - "Best of Yes concerts" (Yes live songs with all the songs you wish they would play at one concert, and the best versions of each).
More details are welcome. I'm not a great Yes fan, but I thought about putting together my own Yes mix. And You And I and Roundabout would be in this hypothetical mix for sure.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 20:25

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

More details are welcome. I'm not a great Yes fan, but I thought about putting together my own Yes mix. And You And I and Roundabout would be in this hypothetical mix for sure.
My dream Yes concert would take place in about 2001, be backed by a symphony orchestra (although they would not necessarily play on every song), have the classic line up of Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman and White, and consist of the following songs (taken from the albums noted):

Yours is No Disgrace (Live from House of Blues - for a big kick-off)
Close to the Edge (Symphonic, because of course)
Don't Kill the Whale (Live from Montreux - just for fun before we get back to the more serious stuff)
South Side of the Sky (Live from Montreux - I love the harmonies on this one, and the keyboards/guitar trading off riffs)
Gates of Delirium (Symphonic - because the greatest song in the world)
(interlude for Howe and Wakeman to play some solo pieces - To Be Over and Clap from Live at Montreux and whatever Wakeman's in the mood to play)
return from interval to play:
the entire TFTO suite because OMG and to have an orchestra backing it as well:
The Revealing Science of God (from Keys to Ascension)
The Remembering (from TFTO because I can't find a good live version)
The Ancient (ditto)
Ritual (Symphonic)
And You and I (Live from Montreux - amazing version)
and the encore would be:
I've Seen All Good People (Symphonic)
Roundabout (Keys to Ascension)

Yes, I know this would be about a five hour concert, but it's my fantasy concert and I'll make it as long as I damn well like.  If I could find a good place to shoehorn Awaken in, I would do so, but I guess even fantasy has some limits.

Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2016 at 20:37
Most of the compilations I've made have been for CD's for the car. As such, I haven't made many prog ones; most of them are southern rock. As for prog compilations I've made, I have two Genesis "best of" (i.e. Genesis songs I like a lot) playlists, which I'll choose between depending on whether or not I'd prefer to hear "Supper's Ready" or "Trespass". 

Genesis 1:
  1. The Musical Box
  2. For Absent Friends
  3. Firth of Fifth
  4. Return of The Giant Hogweed
  5. Looking For Someone
  6. Dancing With The Moonlit Knight
  7. Supper's Ready
  8. Horizons
  9. The Knife
Genesis 2: 
  1. The Musical Box
  2. For Absent Friends
  3. Firth of Fifth
  4. Looking For Someone
  5. White Mountain
  6. Stagnation
  7. Dusk
  8. The Knife
  9. Horizons
  10. Fountain of Salmacis
  11. After The Ordeal
  12. Return of The Giant Hogweed
I'm also working on putting together a compilation of four seasonal CD's, each one with prog songs that remind me of fall, winter, spring, etc. I'll post that once I have the selections and orders decided.
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>