Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMixed Tapes - DIY Compilations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 00:56
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Most of the compilations I've made have been for CD's for the car. As such, I haven't made many prog ones; most of them are southern rock. As for prog compilations I've made, I have two Genesis "best of" (i.e. Genesis songs I like a lot) playlists, which I'll choose between depending on whether or not I'd prefer to hear "Supper's Ready" or "Trespass". 

Genesis 1:
  1. The Musical Box
  2. For Absent Friends
  3. Firth of Fifth
  4. Return of The Giant Hogweed
  5. Looking For Someone
  6. Dancing With The Moonlit Knight
  7. Supper's Ready
  8. Horizons
  9. The Knife
Genesis 2: 
  1. The Musical Box
  2. For Absent Friends
  3. Firth of Fifth
  4. Looking For Someone
  5. White Mountain
  6. Stagnation
  7. Dusk
  8. The Knife
  9. Horizons
  10. Fountain of Salmacis
  11. After The Ordeal
  12. Return of The Giant Hogweed
I'm also working on putting together a compilation of four seasonal CD's, each one with prog songs that remind me of fall, winter, spring, etc. I'll post that once I have the selections and orders decided.

^Some great songs in there. You worked in a lot of back to back epics. I just noticed there's nothing from the Lamb. Oh well.

Edited by HackettFan - May 27 2016 at 00:59
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 03:46
I haven't made a mix-tape for years, I think the last one was a cassette of all Savatage's ballads and slow songs, which was more fun to put together than it was to listen to because most of them were album closers so the finished cassette turned out to be a 45 minute succession of 5 minute endings. Ouch

[pointless anecdote #10538]
When my Dad bought his first reel-to-reel tape deck (a Ferguson of some variety) in the mid-60s I was allowed one tape to record songs off the radio and tv. But since I had no control of the order in which those tunes were recorded it wasn't that satisfying so I didn't start making "mix-tapes" until I got a portable reel-to-reel machine of my own sometime in the early 70s (as a birthday or christmas pressy - can't recall which). Now with two tape recorders at my disposal I began to experiment with track order and putting together themed compilations and wasn't limited by the order in which I had record the songs originally. Later I purchased a small and very cheap 4-channel mixer from the one of adverts in the back of Practical Wireless and then modified it to add 2 more channels so now I could insert fades and little sonic segues between tracks and generally play around with the process and production of recording and mixing... I would search through albums pulling out odd sounds and sequences to use (for example bits of Procession from EGBDF, the synth sound from the start of Silver Machine and the "rain" from Riders On The Storm), lifting stuff from BBC Sound Effects albums and making my own recordings of traffic, bird-song and running water or simply crinkling cellophane near the microphone to imitate the sound of fire. 

I guess that was the initial spark that ignited my interest in sound engineering and music production though I hadn't really thought of it until just now because those segues and fades were the "fun" part of making a compilation. [At that time I was also a partner in a mobile "disco" that provided either prog and heavy-rock or top-40 depending on the audience we were booked for - there I acted as sound engineer/tech and reluctant DJ as I had a somewhat slow and dour delivery that sounded like a cockney version of John Peel on mogadon so would rely on cross-fades and sound-FX rather than announcing which top-40 chart sensation was up next... but I digress]. 

So... my mix-tapes became a poor-man's version of Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast were the music was less important to me than the 'creative' bits in between. Of course these tapes are long-gone now and I can't really remember much of what was on them. One I kind of half-remember started with the beginning from Atom Heart Mother that cross-faded into the single opening note from Roundabout before going into Mike Oldfield's Single (the version of Tubular Bells theme played on the oboe by Lindsey Cooper) followed by a selection of acoustic songs (I'm fairly sure Kevin Ayres' Confessions of Dr Dream and Family's Weaver's Answer was in there somewhere) interspersed with snippets of the twinkly bits from the album version of Tubular Bells accompanied by our pet canary (who would go crazy whenever I played it) - I'm sure it would have had a climatic ending of some kind but what that was escapes me now.

Once cassettes became more popular I lost interest in making these mix-tapes as mixing on cassette was no fun. Like everyone else I'd make compilations to play on my Walkman and in the car but I put nothing like the amount of care and attention into them as I did with reel-to-reel but some the techniques I used found a new lease of life when I started making albums of my own.
What?
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 06:09
Not exactly a mixtape, but I remember having completed the B-side of a C90 with the following tracks:
- Black Sabbath : Wicked World (live) (taken from the '86 CD reissue of Paranoid)
- something from Blue Öyster Cult ?
- Jethro Tull : Aqualung (the song)
- Yes : Siberian Kathru

I think there must be a logic in that selection... Ermm At least, I didn't put tracks by Kraftwerk or Napalm Death, a thing I could have done when I was a teenager! LOL
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 10:30

Most of the compilations I've made have been for CD's for the car. As such, I haven't made many prog ones; most of them are southern rock. As for prog compilations I've made, I have two Genesis "best of" (i.e. Genesis songs I like a lot) playlists, which I'll choose between depending on whether or not I'd prefer to hear "Supper's Ready" or "Trespass". 

Genesis 1:
  1. The Musical Box
  2. For Absent Friends
  3. Firth of Fifth
  5. Looking For Someone
  7. Supper's Ready
  8. Horizons
  9. The Knife
Genesis 2: 
  1. The Musical Box
  2. For Absent Friends
  3. Firth of Fifth
  4. Looking For Someone
  5. White Mountain
  6. Stagnation
  7. Dusk
  8. The Knife
  9. Horizons
  10. Fountain of Salmacis
  11. After The Ordeal
I'm also working on putting together a compilation of four seasonal CD's, each one with prog songs that remind me of fall, winter, spring, etc. I'll post that once I have the selections and orders decided.

Personally, I can't place any Trespass with that which followed. For me, Genesis started with the addition of Hackett and Collins, and anything prior is just old hat. I do admire Trespass for the virile purity of Gabriel's voice - it never sounded better.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 18:42
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

^I hope you'll share the titles when you get the info together. Consider me intrigued by any subtle or not so subtle differences between your Screemin' Guitar Rock and your Frenzied Guitar Rock!
Home safe and sound, here ya go

Assorted Frenzied Guitar Rock
Thomas Dolby - Eastern Block
Peter Gabriel - Kiss That Frog
Extreme - Warheads
Spin Doctors - Two Princes
Coverdale / Page - Pride and Joy
Brian May - Driven By You
Robert Plant - Calling to You
Knack - Rocket 'O' Love
Scorpions - No One Like You
Bootsauce - Everyone's a Winner
Van Halen - Man on a Mission
Robert Plant - Big Love
Coverdale / Page - Shake My Tree
Aerosmith - Eat the Rich
Def Leppard - Let's Gt Rocked
Scorpions - Can't Live Without You
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper

Whereas...

Assorted Screamin' Guitar Rock
Joe Satriani - Surfin' With the Alien
Robert Plant - Nirvana
Dream Theater - Pull Me Under
Poison - Unskinny Bop
Van Halen - Beautiful Girls
Colin James - Keep On Lovin' Me Baby
Guns and Roses - Welcome to the Jungle
AC/DC - Fire Your Guns
The Tubes - Talk to ya Later
Robert Plant - The Hurting Kind
Aerosmith - Walk This Way
Ian Crichton - Push
Rolling Stones - Rock and a Hard Place
The Clash - Should I stay or Should I Go
AC/DC - Thunderstruck
Bonham - Bringing Me Down
George Thorogood - Bad to the Bone

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2016 at 22:23
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Genesis 1:
  1. The Musical Box
  2. For Absent Friends
  3. Firth of Fifth
  5. Looking For Someone
  7. Supper's Ready
  8. Horizons
  9. The Knife
Genesis 2: 
  1. The Musical Box
  2. For Absent Friends
  3. Firth of Fifth
  4. Looking For Someone
  5. White Mountain
  6. Stagnation
  7. Dusk
  8. The Knife
  9. Horizons
  10. Fountain of Salmacis
  11. After The Ordeal

Personally, I can't place any Trespass with that which followed. For me, Genesis started with the addition of Hackett and Collins, and anything prior is just old hat. I do admire Trespass for the virile purity of Gabriel's voice - it never sounded better.

My absolute favourite playlist from Genesis would be this (all from the classic line-up):
- The Kife (from Genesis Live, so I count it as by the classic line-up).
- The Musical Box (from Genesis Live).
- Supper's Ready.
- Dancing with the Moonlit Knight (from Live at the Rainbow).
- Firth of Fifth.
- The Cinema Show (from Live at the Rainbow).
- In the Cage.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 00:07
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

My absolute favourite playlist from Genesis would be this (all from the classic line-up):
- Supper's Ready.
- Firth of Fifth.
- In the Cage.
Not bad. I notice it's all in chronological order, which is sometimes a quite nice and sensible approach. Sometimes I like to go forward and backward as if transcending time, putting old and new(er) side by side.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 01:18
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I haven't made a mix-tape for years, I think the last one was a cassette of all Savatage's ballads and slow songs, which was more fun to put together than it was to listen to because most of them were album closers so the finished cassette turned out to be a 45 minute succession of 5 minute endings. 

When my Dad bought his first reel-to-reel tape deck (a Ferguson of some variety) in the mid-60s I was allowed one tape to record songs off the radio and tv. But since I had no control of the order in which those tunes were recorded it wasn't that satisfying so I didn't start making "mix-tapes" until I got a portable reel-to-reel machine of my own sometime in the early 70s (as a birthday or christmas pressy - can't recall which). Now with two tape recorders at my disposal I began to experiment with track order and putting together themed compilations and wasn't limited by the order in which I had record the songs originally. Later I purchased a small and very cheap 4-channel mixer from the one of adverts in the back of Practical Wireless and then modified it to add 2 more channels so now I could insert fades and little sonic segues between tracks and generally play around with the process and production of recording and mixing... I would search through albums pulling out odd sounds and sequences to use (for example bits of Procession from EGBDF, the synth sound from the start of Silver Machine and the "rain" from Riders On The Storm), lifting stuff from BBC Sound Effects albums and making my own recordings of traffic, bird-song and running water or simply crinkling cellophane near the microphone to imitate the sound of fire.

I guess that was the initial spark that ignited my interest in sound engineering and music production though I hadn't really thought of it until just now because those segues and fades were the "fun" part of making a compilation. [At that time I was also a partner in a mobile "disco" that provided either prog and heavy-rock or top-40 depending on the audience we were booked for - there I acted as sound engineer/tech and reluctant DJ as I had a somewhat slow and dour delivery that sounded like a cockney version of John Peel on mogadon so would rely on cross-fades and sound-FX rather than announcing which top-40 chart sensation was up next... but I digress].

So... my mix-tapes became a poor-man's version of Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast were the music was less important to me than the 'creative' bits in between. Of course these tapes are long-gone now and I can't really remember much of what was on them. One I kind of half-remember started with the beginning from Atom Heart Mother that cross-faded into the single opening note from Roundabout before going into Mike Oldfield's Single (the version of Tubular Bells theme played on the oboe by Lindsey Cooper) followed by a selection of acoustic songs (I'm fairly sure Kevin Ayres' Confessions of Dr Dream and Family's Weaver's Answer was in there somewhere) interspersed with snippets of the twinkly bits from the album version of Tubular Bells accompanied by our pet canary (who would go crazy whenever I played it) - I'm sure it would have had a climatic ending of some kind but what that was escapes me now.

Once cassettes became more popular I lost interest in making these mix-tapes as mixing on cassette was no fun. Like everyone else I'd make compilations to play on my Walkman and in the car but I put nothing like the amount of care and attention into them as I did with reel-to-reel but some the techniques I used found a new lease of life when I started making albums of my own.
Thanks for bringing some humanity to this with your personal narrative, Dean. I enjoy that, #10538 included. I made some brief attempts at pulling apart and recombining snippets a little as you describe (to very little satisfaction). I recall I'm about eight years your junior, so cassette tapes were more a part of my era and seemed practical for me because I was always buying records and recording them onto cassette so that I could preserve the condition of the record (applying the ethos of a long-time comic book collector). Once I was doing that on a regular basis I drifted quite naturally toward tailor making my own compilations. Cross-fades and such were something I genuinely wished for, but never did anything about. Specifically, I wanted some way of having Genesis' In That Quiet Earth fade out before it got to Afterglow...oh well.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 02:48

Thanks for bringing some humanity to this with your personal narrative, Dean. I enjoy that, #10538 included. I made some brief attempts at pulling apart and recombining snippets a little as you describe (to very little satisfaction). I recall I'm about eight years your junior, so cassette tapes were more a part of my era and seemed practical for me because I was always buying records and recording them onto cassette so that I could preserve the condition of the record (applying the ethos of a long-time comic book collector). Once I was doing that on a regular basis I drifted quite naturally toward tailor making my own compilations. Cross-fades and such were something I genuinely wished for, but never did anything about. Specifically, I wanted some way of having Genesis' In That Quiet Earth fade out before it got to Afterglow...oh well.

Cassettes were harder to cue up than reel-to-reel, especially the early cassette decks with "piano-lever" keys so I couldn't make mix-tapes with the same precision as I could on reel-to-reel. Recording from cassette to cassette was never satisfactory either.

I prefer to have a mixer instead of a channel selector on at least one of my hi-fi set ups (currently this is the one in my home office so it has a turntable, cd player, iPod dock and PC input), while I rarely use this now to do live cross-fades I just find it more convenient. 
What?
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 08:55
This isn't a mix tape, it's a playlist on Spotify.  This is one of the ones I run to (not all prog songs but they'll all get your heart rate up):

Mr. Blue Sky - ELO
Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
Rock and Roll - Led Zeppelin
Don't Kill it Carol - Manfred Mann's Earth Band
Eminence Front - The Who
Forgotten Sons - Marillion (this is the one that makes the time go by)
Dance of the Manatee - Fair to Midland
Don't Bring Me Down - ELO
The Quiet Offspring - Green Carnation
Joey - Concrete Blonde
Mr. Jones - Counting Crows
Alone With You - Mike Pinera (winding down now)
Unforgiven - The Go-Gos (finish strong!)

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 09:39
I started making "greatest hits" four track tapes back in the late sixties. A local electronics store had three booths in the back with turntables connected to four track recorders. There were headphones instead of speakers to keep the noise down. If you purchased the blank tapes from the store you could use the booths for free. 
In the early seventies I had a Pioneer stereo system that included an eight track player/recorder so I could do the same thing at home.
Next came the boom boxes with dual cassette decks.
Eventually I started using Windows Media Player to create compilation CDs.
I never mixed bands on these projects. I took favorite songs from each album I owned by a band until I ran out of room.
I made so many of these that I can't remember specific playlists but one of my favorites from a few years ago was a CD with all of the instrumental songs that Stevie Ray Vaughan recorded.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 09:59
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

This isn't a mix tape, it's a playlist on Spotify.  This is one of the ones I run to (not all prog songs but they'll all get your heart rate up):

Mr. Blue Sky - ELO
Eminence Front - The Who
Joey - Concrete Blonde

Nice playlist. I'd exercise to that.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 11:24
Assorted Fitness Motivational Rock
Men Without Hats - Sideways
I Mother Earth - One More Astronaut
Collective Soul - Simple
Bryan Adams - I Wanna Be Your Underwear
U2 - Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
Billy Idol - Shock to the System
Iggy Pop - Lust For Life
I Mother Earth - Used to be Alright
Collective Soul - Disciplined Breakdown
Pearl Jam - Better Man
David Bowie - Little Wonder
Bush X - Machine Head
Collective Soul - Crowded Head
Bryan Adams - The Only Thing That Looks Good On Me Is You
David Bowie - I'm Afraid of Americans
U2 - Better Than the Real Thing
I Mother Earth - Another Sunday
Collective Soul - Precious Declaration
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 18:21
I belong to a tape swap club/group and we mail tapes in a rotation, this is a reel to reel tape swap 7.5ips speed 4-track on 7" reels, I get to hear a lot of interesting play lists.

I have done themed mix tapes, all from vinyl, stuff like
* Fav Side1/Track 2
* Fav Side2/Last Track
* Fav 10min-12min songs
* Songs that start with first letter of days of week then switch to months, in order. Only a couple guys figured this one out.

I have always made mix tapes, both on R2R and cassette tape...Probably always will, its a lot of fun.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 21:46

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

I haven't made a mix-tape for years, I think the last one was a cassette of all Savatage's ballads and slow songs, which was more fun to put together than it was to listen to because most of them were album closers so the finished cassette turned out to be a 45 minute succession of 5 minute endings. 

When my Dad bought his first reel-to-reel tape deck (a Ferguson of some variety) in the mid-60s I was allowed one tape to record songs off the radio and tv. But since I had no control of the order in which those tunes were recorded it wasn't that satisfying so I didn't start making "mix-tapes" until I got a portable reel-to-reel machine of my own sometime in the early 70s (as a birthday or christmas pressy - can't recall which). Now with two tape recorders at my disposal I began to experiment with track order and putting together themed compilations and wasn't limited by the order in which I had record the songs originally. Later I purchased a small and very cheap 4-channel mixer from the one of adverts in the back of Practical Wireless and then modified it to add 2 more channels so now I could insert fades and little sonic segues between tracks and generally play around with the process and production of recording and mixing... I would search through albums pulling out odd sounds and sequences to use (for example bits of Procession from EGBDF, the synth sound from the start of Silver Machine and the "rain" from Riders On The Storm), lifting stuff from BBC Sound Effects albums and making my own recordings of traffic, bird-song and running water or simply crinkling cellophane near the microphone to imitate the sound of fire.

If I remember well, when I made mix tapes (I actually did them without any order... I just found songs I liked and put them in cassette in the order I found them, making very varied and irregular compilations), I could control the volume in which I transfered from the Vinyl to the cassette... so I could actually fade out manually. I believe I must have used it several times.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 22:01

- Supper's Ready.
- Firth of Fifth.
- In the Cage.
Not bad. I notice it's all in chronological order, which is sometimes a quite nice and sensible approach. Sometimes I like to go forward and backward as if transcending time, putting old and new(er) side by side.

Usually I make my lists in chronological order, but from time to time I find that the songs don't flow so well, or the list doesn't work well with chronological, and I try to put them so that they flow more nicely, either sonically or thematically. Still, even then, I often start with the chronological order, and start moving the songs around to find how they sound better.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 22:03

Mr. Blue Sky - ELO
Eminence Front - The Who
Joey - Concrete Blonde

Actually, spotify playlist would be the new mix-tape. I hardly think there's anyone around still making mix-tapes. I use I-Pod lists... but I guess even those are diminishing in popularity compared to something like Spotify.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 09:46

- Supper's Ready.
- Firth of Fifth.
- In the Cage.

Usually I make my lists in chronological order, but from time to time I find that the songs don't flow so well, or the list doesn't work well with chronological, and I try to put them so that they flow more nicely, either sonically or thematically. Still, even then, I often start with the chronological order, and start moving the songs around to find how they sound better.

Right on. The idea I had behind this thread come from my experience in which, if I listen to any album with the 'shuffle' button selected, I normally find it annoying, awkward and unsatisfying. Yet when I pick and choose and recombine tracks, like a collage, I've found that the sum total of what I drew together can sometimes really hang together well and be my most listened to "albums" for awhile.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 21:36

- Supper's Ready.
- Firth of Fifth.
- In the Cage.

Right on. The idea I had behind this thread come from my experience in which, if I listen to any album with the 'shuffle' button selected, I normally find it annoying, awkward and unsatisfying. Yet when I pick and choose and recombine tracks, like a collage, I've found that the sum total of what I drew together can sometimes really hang together well and be my most listened to "albums" for awhile.

If I want to listen to a particular album whole, it wouldn't even cross my mind to put it in shuffle. Nor if I choose a list made in a particular order, specially if it's not very long. But I do enjoy putting my whole IPod in random, and when I do this, most of the songs hold together very nicely, even if they can be rather different stiles (though from time to time there can come a song that really sounds out of place with the previous one). Or I can choose some of my longer lists and put them in shuffle if I won't have the time to hear it all.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 22:18

Mr. Blue Sky - ELO
Eminence Front - The Who
Joey - Concrete Blonde

Actually, spotify playlist would be the new mix-tape. I hardly think there's anyone around still making mix-tapes. I use I-Pod lists... but I guess even those are diminishing in popularity compared to something like Spotify.

I opened a thread under the forum's 'I have a question' back quite awhile ago now (August 10, 2014). I asked:

"What is the updated term for a 'mixed tape', now that we no longer use cassette tapes. That is, what do I call if I put together a CD with my compilation of songs from different albums."

The most commonly given answer was that it was still a mix tape. I thought Dean put it well:

"As far as I know it's called a mixtape regardless of media, just as an album is called an album even though its original meaning of "things collected together in a blank book" has long since gone [album means "white book", where white==blank and originally a music album was a collection of 78s bound together in a book]"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>