1 [5.88%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Televisual British SF or fantasy
    Posted: May 17 2016 at 14:12
Sorry putting Tripods and Triffids together...

Since we have a few other British telly polls on the loose, I decided to do another. I have included shows that have been special to me, and not bothering with an other option does not mean that you should feel disinclined to mention others shows in a post. I'm sure there are many I forgot, and I'm not trying to be comprehensive, but still I filled every last space.   No Red Dwarf as you see, even though I like the show. Torchwood is mostly here for Children of Earth, which is one of my favourite things in the Doctor Who universe (and in Doctor Who, god I loved one of the most recent episodes, Heaven Sent).

The poll itself is me trying to give a flavour, or actually many flavours of ones that have meant a lot to me, and by way of such list-making, to get recommendations. I mean Misfits may be a bit of a Misfit as are some others, but I love the show.

I would say that if you like or know none of these, though, then it is less likely that an other choice will work as recommendation to someone who likes these. That's a reason why I think other options in polls are not that beneficial, and as I said, one can always include something in a post anyway.

Also, don't feel limited to British shows in discussion. I love recent non-British shows such as Real Humans (I don't like the British remake nearly so much) and The French The Returned (I don't like the US remake nearly so much), as well as classic SF/fantasy from the US such as The Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, and Star Trek. I also have been very into some co-productions such as the part Canadian, part German produced series LEXX (well, the mini-series in particular).

With Chocky by the way, I include Chocky's Children and Chocky's Challenge. I saw Chocky as a child, and it really resonated with me then, and recently watched all three series with my children. Just before the passing of Gareth Thomas I had decided to watch all of the Blake's Seven episodes.   It gave me a renewed appreciation of the show.   My avatar is from the show Utopia, by the way.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 15:08
By the way, I wrote most of that post before putting in the options -- had thought that I would include maybe 15, and although I've watched some of all of these, a few here I haven't watched that much of, nor have they been that special to me as I haven't got to know that well. And I notice a typo, but rather than editing I'll say here, it's Survivors (Terry Nation's).

Utopia I've gone on a lot about at PA in the past, as it just stunned me. It can be very violent, and I found it superb. Here's the trailer:

Though actually very different, but shares certain thematic elements, for those that like it, I would recommend the Japanese 20th Century Boys film trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwAIzPweL5o

{Late EDIT to fix youtube embed as you used to be be able to do it two ways and I chose the one that no longer works}

Edited by Logan - January 03 2018 at 11:10
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 16:08
Life on Mars, one of the finest tv shows to come out of Britain in recent years.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 17:07
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Life on Mars, one of the finest tv shows to come out of Britain in recent years.

My wife saw the US version on TV and called me to watch thinking I'd like it. It was quite good, but then I quickly discovered the BBC original, and I loved that.

It's also been adapted for Russian TV, called The Dark Side of the Moon (apparently named thus because Pink Floyd was so much more more popular in Russia in the 70's than David Bowie).
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 17:31
Doctor Who
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 18:05
The Prisoner
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 18:15
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

Doctor Who

I'm guessing you are a fan of both the classic and the new series. This long break from the show is hard on my family. I've been a bit worried about Moffat being replaced with Chibnall as showrunner as he hasn't written my favourite Doctor Who episodes. He also wrote for Life on Mars, by the way (I mention because was discussing that before your post). And I was disappointed to find that Capaldi was getting a new companion, as I also wanted him to be companionless (and Heaven Sent may be my favourite Doctor Who episode of all-time). We shall see how it goes.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 18:19
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

The Prisoner

Love the Prisoner.

Quoting myself, thus the terrible writing:

A man furiously tenders his resignation, is drugged , and wakes up in a strange and sinister place simply known as The Village. The man is numbered 6, and he is The Prisoner! *cue thunder and lightning*

Using hallucinogens, psychological conditioning, thought control, and a bevy of other coercive and experimental techniques, his “keepers” try to learn why he resigned. But while they devise schemes to break him, Number 6 plans his escape. But escape from what exactly?

The Prisoner is part sci-fi, part spy and psychological thriller, part adventure, part satire, part allegory, and altogether quite original. Symbolism, ambiguity, surrealism, existential angst, and garish costumes are some of the hallmarks of the series. Its seventeen episodes date back to the late 60’s, and whilst the plots were heavily influenced by the Cold war, its underlying themes remain relevant. It’s a very creative, symbolic, and timeless exploration of freedom and individuality; the struggles of one man against most oppressive authority, to be individual, whilst under strict surveillance. Sound familiar? Oh, did I mention that it’s also a lot of fun?

The Prisoner Motto:

“I am not a number, I am a free man!”

The Prisoner Creed:

“I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own!”
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 18:30
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The Prisoner

“I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. My life is my own!”
perfect Logan  Clap

"Who are you?
"The New Number 2."
"Who is Number One?"
"YOU ARE..."(emphasis, my own)..., Number 6."
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 18:44

"Who are you?
"The New Number 2."
"Who is Number One?"
"YOU ARE..."(emphasis, my own)..., Number 6."

Haha, that should come with a spoiler alert.

Just adding some more of what I wrote about the Prisoner many years ago for personal nostalgia.

"Questions are a burden to others. Answers a prison for oneself" (old Village saying).

As you watch The Prisoner you’ll notice that many questions are posed, but few clear-cut answers are given. In fact, it's most likely that you'll have far more questions than answers by the end of it (even when they seemingly offer you some sort of an answer to a long-running question, you can still expect to be baffled by it). Much is left to the viewers’ individual interpretation, and this, I believe, is one of the reasons behind its lasting success and bona fide prime cult status. Several crucial questions are asked in this intro to each episode:

No. 6: Where am I?
No. 2: In the Village.
No. 6: What do you want?
No. 2: We want information.
No. 6: Whose side are you on?
No. 2: That would be telling. We want information, information, information.
No. 6: You won't get it.
No. 2: By hook or by crook, we will.
No. 6: Who are you?
No. 2: The new Number 2.
No. 6: Who is Number 1?
No. 2: You are Number 6.
No. 6: I am not a number, I am a free man!

Where and what is The Village? Information for what purpose?
Who is Number one, and for that matter, who is Number 6?

While the prisoner’s number one question is “Who is Number One,” the major piece of information the “keepers” ask No. 6 is “Why did you resign?” Why did he resign? Why is it so important to them? And why does No. 6 under great duress refuse to answer? And who exactly are the “keepers” anyway? once again the show treats you as an individual by allowing you to draw your own conclusions..

But perhaps the most important question of all is "WHY?"* ... Now that would be telling! … but, unfortunately, that’s one question that does not compute.

"He has revolted. Resisted. Fought. Held fast. Maintained. Destroyed resistance. Overcome coercion. The right to be person, someone or individual. We applaud his private war, and concede that despite materialistic efforts, he has survived intact and secure!" (The President in Fall Out)

"Freedom is myth." (Patrick McGoohan)

Edited by Logan - May 17 2016 at 18:46
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 18:48
Gerry & Sylvia always had great style, especially the live-action, those old UFOs are priceless camp.   And I remember Journey to the Far Side of the Sun [Doppelgänger] as being not bad, even a little proggie.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 19:48
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Gerry & Sylvia always had great style, especially the live-action, those old UFOs are priceless camp.   And I remember Journey to the Far Side of the Sun [Doppelgänger] as being not bad, even a little proggie.

Agree on UFO. I haven't seen that film. Speaking of the Andersons, I just realized that I missed a really big series that I used to watch a lot: [Gonna party like it's] Space 1999 (which they created and were writers on). I forgot that it was a British production (well, and Italian co-production on the first series/ season).

Edited by Logan - May 17 2016 at 19:48
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2016 at 20:39
And I just remembered another that I should have included as I have re-watched all of those in recent years: The Tomorrow People. That was one of my absolute faves as a child.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 03:05

And I just remembered another that I should have included as I have re-watched all of those in recent years: The Tomorrow People. That was one of my absolute faves as a child.
I was thinking that as I read your option list.

On the sub-topic of UK SF made for children's TV, two that have stuck in my mind for the past 40 years are Sky (1975) and Children of the Stones (1977) that were produced by HTV West for the ITV network. Lasting only 7 episodes each and never repeated since both have attained a somewhat cult-following over the years.

What?
Guy Guden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 03:41

I was also going to mention that show, but thought The Prisoner of far more value.  TOMMORROW PEOPLE ran on American Cable Television in the early '80s and I found myself curiously attracted to some of the young girls in the series ( I also thought their was a large amount of scantily clad young boys in the show and wondered how Production thought about this ).  Either way, I'm sure Humbert Humbert would have enjoyed this 'family
show.'  I liked the theme music, electronic.  And when I flew to London in 1982 to produce the SPACE PIRATE RADIO video pilot, I found myself, during turbulence in the British Airways flight, silently talking to TIM the computer, that everything was alright.  Smile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 11:32
I like the anecdote, Guy.    I really loved The Tomorrow People. Recall now that I did include it, but accidentally edited it out when I decided to reorder things a bit.

Dean: Although not so obvious an omission for me, Children of the Stones is another I later thought of that I wish I had included. I've seen all of those. I didn't watch them as a child, but much later. I started on Sky a year or two ago, and forgot about it, but enjoyed what I saw. I think that many of these children's shows are terrific, well-written, imaginative, often well acted and conceived and do have an appeal to kids and adults alike. I highly recommend Chocky to those that haven't seen it as it's very poignant and moving, well, at least the first two series. Another later children's one I recall had some kind of spacecraft that kids found (a brown and sleek one).

For quite a long time I was looking into the children's shows as there was this scene of a pyramid that kids find from I think a British show that was stuck in my head as a child. I seem to remember the Thames theme coming up at the beginning. And no, in case anyone thinks of it,its not from the US Land of the Lost (another fave of mine when young), and it's not Chocky....
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 11:39
I wasn't living in England to see most of these, and never really felt the urge to catch up, but I saw Being Human on Netflicks a few years ago and really liked it. Especially the clever and emotionally conflicted vampire. Although to be fair I  might not have noticed him particularly if he had not been so hot.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 11:48
Prisoner and Blake's, though to be fair I have not watched all of these

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 12:17
Some of those never made it to the states.....but I have always been a huge fan of Dr Who and The Prisoner as well. I also liked Primevil, Torchwood, and Being Human.....and there was a short lived show called Hex that was interesting because Michael Fassbender played an evil angel.
I've heard Utopia is pretty good.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2016 at 13:28

Another later children's one I recall had some kind of spacecraft that kids found (a brown and sleek one).

For quite a long time I was looking into the children's shows as there was this scene of a pyramid that kids find from I think a British show that was stuck in my head as a child. I seem to remember the Thames theme coming up at the beginning.  
Neither of those ring any bells with me. Thames series I do remember are 'Ace of Wands' and 'Shadows', with the latter being an anthology of single episode stories is a possible contender, then "a group of kids find..." is the basic premiss of most kids' SF programmes is it not? Wink

The last children's TV series I watched with any regularity was 'The Sarah Jane Adventures' though I did manage to catch a couple of episodes of 'My Parents Are Aliens' (staring Carla Mendonça and Tony Gardener) and 'The Demon Headmaster'

A few from your list that haven't been mentioned yet that I really enjoyed: 'Sapphire and Steel' - aside from the gaff that neither sapphire nor steel are elements it was a pretty cool concept. 'Doomwatch' was essential viewing - especially the episode where Toby attempted to defuse a nuclear bomb, and of course the opening episode (Mutant 59 - The Plastic Eater). I quite liked that it reminiscent of  'Quatermass', though I was too young to have seen the original 'Quatermass' tv series, I had seen all the film versions. By 'Survivor' do you mean either or both of the 'Survivors' by Terry Nation? I haven't seen the recent remake but the original was great.

The best SF series of recent years won't fit in with any of your polls because it was a German/British/Canadian production: Lexx ... it went a bit flat later but the first two series were excellent.

Oh, I voted The Prisoner ... nothing will ever beat it as far as I'm concerned. A visit to Portmeirion while on vacation in Wales a few years back didn't disappoint either. Unfortunately the reboot was as forgettable as the original was unforgettable.

[edit: nnggg...typing this with pre-migraine aura flashing in my field of vision has resulted in silly typing errors and some dreadful grammar, sorry... not looking forward to the next few hours much... Ouch]

Edited by Dean - May 18 2016 at 13:39
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>