Topic ClosedTime of release and success of an album / song

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time of release and success of an album / song
    Posted: May 20 2016 at 21:39
Listening to Iron Maiden's last album, and particularly the song "Empire of the Clouds", how much does the time a song is released relate to how well received it will be, and whether it will become a classic or not. I really liked this particularly song a lot, and wonder how it has been mostly ignored. Of course, Iron Maiden fans, and even many prog fans, will know it and like it to different degrees, but I believe if this song had been released in the 80's or 90's (perhaps and edited 8-10 min version would have been needed), it would have been all over the radio / MTV and so on. I mean, if something like "November Rain" got such a huge success, I don't see why this one wouldn't do so as well. Now, I don't expect any discussion to be only about "Empire of the Clouds", this is mostly an example, so what do you think? Which other songs would you think might have done better if they had been released in another time?
surrogate people View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2016 at 20:02
I hardly agree about Empire. Maiden never had that much radio or MTV airplay, they were no Metallica or GnR. Even songs like The Trooper or Run to the hills were virtually ignored by most of the media back in the eighties
Surrogate People they walk on by, they walk on by
When they replace you
They live your life, they live your life
Project Nightscape View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 14:04
So much of popular success depends on circumstantial luck. There are countless records that deserved to be hits based on their artistic merits, but garnered little fanfare. One standout example is Eloy's Silent Cries & Mighty Echoes. Released during the heights of disco, this Pink Floyd-like record warranted more critical and popular attention. While the record sold well in the band's native Germany, it didn't make much of an impression outside of Western Europe. A more recent example would be Steve Rothery's Ghosts of Pripyat, which received rave reviews but made nary a dent in the public's consciousness. If it had been released during the prog rock heyday of the early/mid-70s or even amid The Wall craze of the 80s, it would've had the potential to be a smash.

Curiously, the prog scene lacks the equivalent of a Lester Bangs--a critic with a compelling style and a broad forum to champion criminally underrated releases. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 16:10
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Which other songs would you think might have done better if they had been released in another time?

I totally agree with you...timing is everything!  If some of the late 70's/early 80's little known English lyric prog bands had released their albums in '72/'73 rather than after the US/UK music critics decided that prog should be hated and punk/new wave worshiped they might have gotten carried up into the prog stratosphere with the greats.  Some example songs that come to mind...

Cathedral : The Search (1978) 
Netherworld : Sargasso (1978)
Asia Minor : Lost in a Dream Yell (1980)
Ethos : Sedona (1977)
Atmosphera : Lady of Shallot (1977)
Twelfth Night : We Are Sane (1982)

TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2016 at 21:28
It is indeed very important. Bands like GNR or Nirvana owe much of their success to the time they played in. Also some bands would have been much more successful had they existed during another era, The Kinks come to mind.

Empire of the Clouds is fantastic, I like it as much as any 20 minute suite by a prog band like CTTE, Supper's, etc.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 06:00
I'm not sure Maiden ever had a chance to enter the top charts - regardless of timing and radio edits. They were never that kind of a band anyways.

I'm struggling to come up with any examples of prog outfits/tunes that would have "made it" during a different time. Mostly because prog bands, even back in the day, never had that kind of chart succes to begin with. They may have sold a lot of albums, but you didn't bump into that many a prog tunes on the radio. It was mostly the melodic singles.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 11:40
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'm struggling to come up with any examples of prog outfits/tunes that would have "made it" during a different time. Mostly because prog bands, even back in the day, never had that kind of chart succes to begin with. They may have sold a lot of albums, but you didn't bump into that many a prog tunes on the radio. It was mostly the melodic singles.

We had one station down in San Jose called KOME that was different.  KOME was the biggest rock FM station in the whole SF Bay Area at the time.  Starting in the mid 70's a guy named Greg Stone had a prog radio show every Sunday night called "Stone Trek".  It was a couple hours of a good mix of obscure prog, classic prog staples, and an occasional track from a Yes, Genesis, or Floyd bootleg.  His influence on the station also crossed over into their regular programming and they often played One More Red Nightmare, Karn Evil 9 1st Impression Pt 2, and other cool stuff.  Also, when Going for the One & Tormato were released, they were played in their entirety on special shows...possibly Floyd got the same shows for Animals & The Wall but I don't recall for sure.  

Outside of KOME, all the other rock radio stations were as you said...Roundabout, Long Distance Runaround, In the Beginning, Aqualung, Bungle in the Jungle, etc...cool, but not adventurous Wink

infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2016 at 12:57
^Stone Trek got me started on my prog rock journey in the late 80s.  Smile
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2016 at 12:30
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

^Stone Trek got me started on my prog rock journey in the late 80s.  Smile

Cool!  That show turned me on to a lot of prog I hadn't heard before...not to mention he always played cuts off the highest quality boots.  Greg worked at - or actually owned...I don't know which for sure - this little hole in the wall record store on Santa Cruz Ave in downtown Los Gatos called The Galactic Zoo (maybe that's why he always played the best quality prog bootlegs).  I still remember buying the import version of Pawn Hearts from him Wink  

One of their old store shirts is on Ebay auction...

Post Reply Post Reply